More road/tire noise in the cold?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

More road/tire noise in the cold?

Noticed the past few days driving down to work that the ride is noisier when first going down the highway. Is it typical for tires to do this before they warm up? Driving a 2009 S40 with Continental DWS tires, almost 20K miles on them, not worn out.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Question s40 tires

Quote Originally Posted by hammer1234 View Post
      Noticed the past few days driving down to work that the ride is noisier when first going down the highway. Is it typical for tires to do this before they warm up? Driving a 2009 S40 with Continental DWS tires, almost 20K miles on them, not worn out.
      Hi,
      how are the continental tires working for your s40? how is the traction in snow? I still have the OEM Michelin tires, my car has low miles with but all the snow the traction is terrible. car slides a lot.

Even proper winter tires need to warm up a bit to soften up if your driving in -20*C or colder temps.
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

There's probably a flat spot on the tread from parking overnight and being cold. After the tire warms up the noise should subside.

It's common in the winter or colder weather for the tires to become harder and make more noise. There is nothing you can do about that.
      '14 S60 RD (His) Traded for 2017 P*
      '13 S80 3.2 Platinum | Ice White | Beige Interior (Hers)
      '16 XC90 T6 Momentum w all options | Ember Black (Hers)
      '17 S60 P* with all options|Ice White|Lumar Tint|Mud Guards|Wheel Locks|CF Mirror Covers|Hexomats|Interior LED|Xpel Ultimate Frt of Car|OEM Wheels Powder Coated Charcoal Gray|Elevate RSB|Black Painted Rotor Edges
      '09S2k Chicane Silver Low Mileage (His)

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements