Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want

and I don't want to switch to winter tires each and every winter and take em off in the spring. Thinking of getting all season tires if I get the S60 R. Has anyone been able to work some kind of deal with the dealer to dump the hi perf. tires on the car for all seasons. I don't want to be stuck with another $800 or so expense to get all seasons at a tire place with peanuts back for the hi perf tires in trade. Do you folks who drive in snow just buy another set of wheels with snows-seems like Volvo is forcing you to incur this additional expense.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (S60RmayB)

Quote, originally posted by S60RmayB »
      and I don't want to switch to winter tires each and every winter and take em off in the spring. Thinking of getting all season tires if I get the S60 R. Has anyone been able to work some kind of deal with the dealer to dump the hi perf. tires on the car for all seasons. I don't want to be stuck with another $800 or so expense to get all seasons at a tire place with peanuts back for the hi perf tires in trade.

Just drive the high performanc stock tires until they wear out 9and they WILL wear out sooner than later) and then replace them with ultra high performance all season tires. Toy just came out with a nice all season tire: Proxes 4.

Quote »
      Do you folks who drive in snow just buy another set of wheels with snows-seems like Volvo is forcing you to incur this additional expense.

You are out of your mind! How is Volvo "forcing" an R owner? The potential R owner knows what tires the car comes from and he/she HAS A CHOICE to buy the car or not. Nobody is forcing anyone here. You don't want to buy the R because of the lack of all season tires? Move along and get something else. But no one in their right mind would consider buying a pretty high performance sport sedan that has 300 hp, humongous brakes, a very advanced suspension, etc. without having ultra high performance summer tires to complement its features.

Perhaps, the R is not for you. Why don't you buy an S60 T5? It is a very quick car, handles nice and it comes with V-rated all season tires...

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (S60RmayB)

Do you folks who drive in snow just buy another set of wheels with snows.

Yes that is what I do, I have two sets of tires and wheels. The summer tires are hi-perf for that season. The winter tires are hi-perf for that season.
      I don't want to compromise one for the other. I now have my cake and can eat it also.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Presently taking a ride thru the Black Forest.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (GrecianVolvo)

Thanks for the condescending post!! And no I am not out of my mind when I say that Volvo has a high power car that has AWD and feel it would be nice if they gave you an option for tires that work with AWD in the snow. Be different if the S60R was a RWD car but it isn't and some people get it because it is AWD and has power. If I lived in a warm climate I would get a RWD car, but I don't so that is the "figurative" way that Volvo is forcing me to incur an additional expense. Of course they are not "literally" forcing me to buy the car, obvously I have a choice. I think there are other people out there "in their right mind" who want AWD in a high perf car with big brakes, and all season tires to take advantage of the AWD. If I wanted a pure high perf car sport sedan to drive I would not get one with AWD, I would get a RWD BMW 545 that has state of the art suspension but I and other people need a car capable of getting us through in the snow and the S60R is the best compromise out there. BTW, interestingly I don't think the 545i comes with hi perf tires.

If I sounded like I had an edge to my post I did. I post here for the opportunity to get good feedback and not comments like "am I out of my mind" and "nobody in their right mind"

Summer high performance tires (like the OEM R skins) are very good in the wet too. I know that all-season tires are a poor choice for any significant amount of snow.

For the snow (real winter deep-type snow) you should have a set of dedicated snow tires. ( The kind with the little snowflake symbol on them.) Period. Snow-tire technology has come so far that you do yourself a disservice to use any all-season tire in true winter conditions, such as, deep snow and sub-zero temperatures.

If your point is that Volvo should offer, from the factory, an all-season alternative for less "euthusiastic" R customers. If only for a higher wear rating. Yes, that would be a good idea. But, remember, the R is positioned as the ultimate performance Volvo and is shod with gumball tires for that very reason.

You could get the tires swapped off the same rims. You don't have to spring for a seconds set of wheels.

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (CRB)

As I have said in Previous Posts, I have Nokian WR A.W.P. 2 All Seasons. They are V rated, have a load rating of 97 and I beat them up...Last couple of days I have been ripping up the wets roads with surperb grip...They will Last a long time and they are "Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations"....
      Great tire...

http://www.nokiantires.com/new...?id=6

Marc

Now... 2006 S60R Sonic "HRSEPLY"
      Then... 2004 S60R Silver... got hit by Truck, I walked away.
      Then again...1996 Mitsubshi 3000GT VR4... Engine blew up. Boom go da Vr4.
      When do I stop being a Junior Member? Jeez.

BTW, interestingly I don't think the 545i comes with hi perf tires.

It most certainly does! (when you get the only one worth buying, the 545i 6-spd or SMG or sport pkg auto).

Current Stable
      2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT
      2011 BMW M3 6MT
      2007 BMW 328i wagon

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (ChuckB)

S60Rmayb,

You should probably just get an S60 AWD.

The R is Volvo's hi performance car. Like the 545i, M3, Corvette, 911 Turbo etc it come w/ hi perf summer tires. So does the S4, C32, XK-R etc.

The R is AWD to deal w/ the power output, NOT for snow.
      If you want to drive it in snow, buy snow tires.

2017 S90 T6 Inscription Polestar. Volvo #7!

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (mjaffe)

Quote, originally posted by mjaffe »
      As I have said in Previous Posts, I have Nokian WR A.W.P. 2 All Seasons. They are V rated, have a load rating of 97 and I beat them up...Last couple of days I have been ripping up the wets roads with surperb grip...They will Last a long time and they are "Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations"....
      Great tire...

I stopped by a local auto garage last week and they were recommending the Nokians. So they are good in wet and snow, but how do they perform in dry conditions? Did you drive a lot on the original tires to be able to compare the dry grip between the 2.

I did the winter tire swap with my bimmer and it got old fast. I'm trying to decide between buying snows or all season/weather this fall. Thanks for any insight.

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (VolvoMax)

The P-Zero's did fine for me during the snowstorms we got in Jan and beyond. (I picked up my car mid-Jan, just days before a few nasty snow & icy junk hit). Sometimes I even got lazy with my snowblower since I had the awd (and my wife has a V70XC), so the only thing I bothered clearing was the plow pile at the end of the driveway.

One particular time when we had snow I took the R out and played around to test its limits. I had to drive around a Pontiac that had just bonked into the side of a Chrysler minivan on a corner, but there I was with decent grip, coming back from playing in some empty parking lots. Some folks were writing that "It was like driving on skis" etc. Well it sure didn't feel that bad to me. They're not dedicated snowtires but they do have nice soft rubber, fat tread wells, and my empirical tests proved to me that for me they're useable in the winter. They did no worse for me than my Honda Accord EX wagon shod with Michelin Energy MXV4's (very popular "all-season" tires delivered as original equipment on many, many cars).

Snow tires would be better, but the P-Zero's are a far cry from useless in the snow. Buy yourself an R and spend the next 9 months with the Pirelli's. If you want more winter grip when the winter finally arrives then you're probably also a person who wants more winter grip with any other car/tire combo you have anyway. And you can get winter tires in (what?) 3 days, mounted on dedicated rims from the tirerack. No biggie.

Hey S60rmaybe,

Don't you worry about GrecianVolvo's comments. He is usually very condesending and negative . Just click on his previous posts and you'll see. An ANALogy may be that the brain is driving a Volvo 240 while the mouth is whirling in an S60R with an ECU upgrade . Just my opinion that's all.

Have a great day and good luck with your purchase.

Steve.

I understand that this can be somewhat of a difficult decision for some, but when you actually get out and drive in the snow with high performance tires, and then with snow tires, you will definitely see and feel a difference (both comfort and performance). I think that this decision has a lot to do with how you feel about your car and its performance. I have seen other R drivers opt not to change tires in the winter, but end up with either slight wheel or brake damage(especially with 18").

As for all-season tires...these really do not do anything for me. Some people love them, but...(having driven with them in snowon a Maxima) they acted almost the same as straight summer tires.

Having made this decision not very long ago, I picked up a set of the 17" R wheels with Dunlop Sport M3 winter tires. (Which I can recommend as well).

Besides, it would be a shame to hurt those 18" Ti finish wheels!

I have a couple things to add here. First off, it's great living in South Florida where we don't have to deal with such ridiculous issues as snow . Second, from what I've heard, the P-Zeros are not that bad in weather. Third, the AWD setup in the Rs is for performance, and not necessarily all-weather capability. And last, almost all RWD luxury/performance cars these days can handle snow nearly as well as AWD cars. This can be attributed to non-other than the many wonderful computer systems now in cars (traction control, stability control, ABS, etc.). If you really feel like the summer tires are going to be a problem and you don't want to deal with getting new tires/wheels, go buy something that comes with all-seasons or even snow tires, like an S60 AWD.

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (heat_fan1)

S60RMaybe,

I live within 100 miles of you. Admittedly, I am to the south and there are times we get rain and it snows North of I78. (How does the snow where I78 is, anyway? ). I took delivery on Dec 24th and didn't upgrade the tires for this winter. I too didn't want to spend $800 immediately after buying a 40K car. (I think it is a mental thing). And the rubber was brand new so I decided to risk it for a few months.

I will however go with either all weather or snow tires next season. The car definitely was driveable in the snow with care. I absolutely needed to clutch before turning, otherwise it had a tendacy to snow plow.

Also, it was a bit scary a couple of times when braking. I wasn't going fast, but slid. I recognize that might have happened with other tires also, but I suspect proper winter wear would give better grip.

I do agree with your point about what is available from Volvo. It would have been nice to order the car with a choice of performance, snows and/or all weather tires. That would have reduced the cognitive dissonance of needing to buy tires immediately after buying the car. And this view has nothing at all to do with my understanding (or lack thereof) of what it means to buy a performance car. It just dollars and sense and a mental thing.

DEPTDC

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (deptdc)

Best that you wear out the P-Zeros and switch to the all seasons. I found out that contrary to other posts the P-zeros are not a tire to depend on for any snow driving. The softer compound does become unmanagable below 35 degrees creating a very different feel. Also with the typical NJ snows we have (wet and heavy) the zeros are prone to lots of sliding and lack of grip. If you don't have to spend any time out during a storm, they may be fine, but if for any reason you are out and about in the snow, be cautious!

I took delivery on Jan 5th of my V70 and had a second set of 17" Peg's set up with Pirelli Snowsport 240's. Awesome performance wet or dry. It allowed me to put on 6500 miles through this winter with complete and utter confidence.

Thanks for the condescending post!! And no I am not out of my mind when I say that Volvo has a high power car that has AWD and feel it would be nice if they gave you an option for tires that work with AWD in the snow.

You are welcome. You are missing the entire point why this car is AWD. Do you think Volvo put AWD on this car so that it can have great traction in snow? Absolutely not. The AWD is there to ensure that ALL the power of this engine is transferred on the wheels without excessive slipping. This car is designed to HANDLE. Without AWD and 300 hp driving the front wheels, you would have some issues in really driving this car the way it is supposed to be driven. Check my signature. I have a car that is FWD and has more than 300 hp. When it is SLIGHTLY wet, I have to manipulate the gas pedal very carefully otherwise I can spin the wheels even with 3rd gear. On dry pavement, I get wheelspin (if I just floor it) well into 2nd gear. That is why I mentioned that if snow traction is your only concern and a priority in your next car, getting an R may not be the best idea.

I can only imagine that if this car were FWD all the hissing and booing from people and magazine editors; "this car has way too much torque steer", "absolutely horible grip", etc.

Quote »
      If I sounded like I had an edge to my post I did. I post here for the opportunity to get good feedback and not comments like "am I out of my mind" and "nobody in their right mind"

Yeah, whatever. You took my comments way to your heart but that's OK...life keeps moving along.

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (heat_fan1)

Quote, originally posted by heat_fan1 »
      Second, from what I've heard, the P-Zeros are not that bad in weather. Third, the AWD setup in the Rs is for performance, and not necessarily all-weather capability.

Thank you!

Quote »
      And last, almost all RWD luxury/performance cars these days can handle snow nearly as well as AWD cars. This can be attributed to non-other than the many wonderful computer systems now in cars (traction control, stability control, ABS, etc.).

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Take ANY RWD car with the most advancewd traction control system and snow tires vs. an AWD car with all seasons or snows and the RWD will be left behind...especially going up a hill...

Yannis

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (GrecianVolvo)

[QUOTE=GrecianVolvo]

You are welcome. You are missing the entire point why this car is AWD. Do you think Volvo put AWD on this car so that it can have great traction in snow? Absolutely not. The AWD is there to ensure that ALL the power of this engine is transferred on the wheels without excessive slipping. This car is designed to HANDLE. Without AWD and 300 hp driving the front wheels, you would have some issues in really driving this car the way it is supposed to be driven. Check my signature. I have a car that is FWD and has more than 300 hp. When it is SLIGHTLY wet, I have to manipulate the gas pedal very carefully otherwise I can spin the wheels even with 3rd gear. On dry pavement, I get wheelspin (if I just floor it) well into 2nd gear. That is why I mentioned that if snow traction is a major concern and a priority in your next car, getting an R may not be the best idea.

I've always wondered about this on the R. I'm from Canada and have recently been looking at either an S60R or the S60 AWD. I realize that the two are very different cars, but besides being a daily driver its main use would be for going to ski hill and traveling through the mountain in the winter.
      I drive a '98 V70 AWD right now, with snow tires in the winter that thing is unstoppable in the snow. Can the AWD capabilties of the R meet this? Or is the better choice to go with the straight AWD?

Marshall

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (Marshallincanada)

Quote, originally posted by Marshallincanada »

I've always wondered about this on the R. I'm from Canada and have recently been looking at either an S60R or the S60 AWD. I realize that the two are very different cars, but besides being a daily driver its main use would be for going to ski hill and traveling through the mountain in the winter.
      I drive a '98 V70 AWD right now, with snow tires in the winter that thing is unstoppable in the snow. Can the AWD capabilties of the R meet this? Or is the better choice to go with the straight AWD?

Marshall

Marshall,

if you put snows on an R, it will not have any less traction in the snow than a regular AWD, also with snows. As a matter of fact, it may handle (overall) better because of standard DSTC (a HUGE factor in very slippery surfaces) and better suspension.

One should get an R because of the technology that model offers in order to be able to drive it a little differently than an average driver would drive an average Volvo. Not because it has AWD and "it would be a good car in the snow"...

Yannis

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

One should get an R because of the technology that model offers
      Yannis

We're friends but I must ask, what technology might that be?
      The wonderful suspension that differs from car to car?
      The great brakes that squeal like a pig?
      That advanced technology that won't let the dealer put back in a download that was superior and more competent than the latest one?
      The wonderful engine management that needs to be "goosed" by the aftermarket to make it smooth? (forget the added power, just driveability)
      JRL

Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Why not just just make the S60R RWD if they were so concerned with handling

Yannis makes a big point that Volvo made AWD for handling only and compares it to a FWD car and points how it handles better with AWD than with FWD. Well why not make Volvo's big entry into the handling world RWD and save a couple of hundred lbs.

I am in the market for a 4 dr luxury/near luxury sedan that has great acceleration, has AWD so I can drive it in winter, comes in a stick, and has a DVD based navigation system. The S60R and the 330XI are the only cars that meet those criteria, and the 330XI is too small. (the VW W8 has no navi, the Audi A6 doesn't have DVD navi, the Subaru WRX has no luxury). The fact that I like the way the car looks is a plus. I ain't buying a car just to go through the twisties at high speeds and if that is how Volvo and Yannis market the S60R-well they may be missing some prospective buyers out there with that approach as the S60R is unique for other reasons.

Re: Why not just just make the S60R RWD if they were so concerned with handling (S60RmayB)

I say you'll probably be very happy with the R and the change in your pocket, as the R is a fantastic value.

I gotta ask you about the DVD nav requirement, because you're looking at such expensive cars that deleting a factory $1500 premium audio system could nearly pay for a very fancy aftermarket DVD system, and with that would come a premium audio system in its head unit anyway. Why in the world are you even considering that so high on the list as to delete, say, the Audi? (Just wondering) So I guess I'm saying that since the price of the nav is peanuts compared to the price of the car, why not leave it out of the equation and have what you want installed if it doesn't come with the car you want?

Modified by blinky at 6:59 AM 4-16-2004

Blinky-reason for the importance I attach to navi

Ever since I saw a friend's Lexus navi, I have put Navi on a must have list and maybe attached more importance to it than necessary, but I do want it integrated into the car and not as an ad on. This is a must have toy and the cost of the option is not an issue. All of the things I listed, navi , stick, AWD, big engine, and luxuary are must haves. I will keep my old car rather than compromise on any of these. Hence the reason I am considering the S60R. Hey 05 is around the corner and maybe the G35 AWD will come in a stick, or Audi will offer a decent navi system and maybe Volvo will correct some of the 04 problems. No rush on my end.

I took the summer tires off and put on the Toyo Proxes 4's ultra high performance all season. Worked just fine in winter. Going to sell my originals with 3,500 miles on eBay to get back some of my expense.

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (deptdc)

Quote, originally posted by deptdc »
      S60RMaybe,

I live within 100 miles of you. Admittedly, I am to the south and there are times we get rain and it snows North of I78. (How does the snow where I78 is, anyway? ). I took delivery on Dec 24th and didn't upgrade the tires for this winter. I too didn't want to spend $800 immediately after buying a 40K car. (I think it is a mental thing). And the rubber was brand new so I decided to risk it for a few months.

I will however go with either all weather or snow tires next season. The car definitely was driveable in the snow with care. I absolutely needed to clutch before turning, otherwise it had a tendacy to snow plow.

Also, it was a bit scary a couple of times when braking. I wasn't going fast, but slid. I recognize that might have happened with other tires also, but I suspect proper winter wear would give better grip.

I do agree with your point about what is available from Volvo. It would have been nice to order the car with a choice of performance, snows and/or all weather tires. That would have reduced the cognitive dissonance of needing to buy tires immediately after buying the car. And this view has nothing at all to do with my understanding (or lack thereof) of what it means to buy a performance car. It just dollars and sense and a mental thing.

DEPTDC

I work in MT. Laurel!

2013 Volvo S60 T5 Premier
      Caspian Blue / Beechwood

Re: Big S60R attraction for me is AWD and summer tires on car are not what I want (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

We're friends but I must ask, what technology might that be?
      The wonderful suspension that differs from car to car?
      The great brakes that squeal like a pig?
      That advanced technology that won't let the dealer put back in a download that was superior and more competent than the latest one?
      The wonderful engine management that needs to be "goosed" by the aftermarket to make it smooth? (forget the added power, just driveability)
      JRL

No comment required. Yes, we are friends but are we..."intelligent" friends or "emotionally replying" friends?

Yannis

Re: Why not just just make the S60R RWD if they were so concerned with handling (S60RmayB)

Well why not make Volvo's big entry into the handling world RWD and save a couple of hundred lbs.

We have discussed this before. Everyone and their grandmother knows that a RWD Volvo would bomb. Period.

Quote »
      I ain't buying a car just to go through the twisties at high speeds and if that is how Volvo and Yannis market the S60R-well they may be missing some prospective buyers out there with that approach as the S60R is unique for other reasons.

???? Have YOU seen MY marketing strategy? I don't ever remember having it shared it with you...

Yannis

You share your marketing strategy everytime you post with your opinions of the car

especially since you work for a car dealer and are projecting the image that you and your dealership see as Volvo's. "do you think Volvo put AWD on this car to get great traction in the snow"---- "the AWD is there to ensure that all power of this engine is transferred on the wheels without excessive slipping" you also make reference to "humongous brakes" of course you are marketing the car-what else do you think you are doing? If part of the success of my job depended on generating some sales on line, you best believe I would market myself a little better in how I respond to people on line. You obviously add to the forum because of your first hand knowledge but you can get the same message across without the edge.

Re: You share your marketing strategy everytime you post with your opinions of the car (S60RmayB)

If part of the success of my job depended on generating some sales on line

That is not why I am here...that would be a very inefficient way of "part of my success"...

Quote »
      you best believe I would market myself a little better in how I respond to people on line. You obviously add to the forum because of your first hand knowledge but you can get the same message across without the edge.

No need to further this by keep discussing it here...if you have a problem with my answers, feel free to IM me.

Yannis

Re: You share your marketing strategy everytime you post with y ... (GrecianVolvo)

S60Rmayb,

Not that Yannis needs defending but what edge are you talking about?

You are under the impression that the S60R exists so you can drive it in the snow. Well, it doesn't. Thats why the S60 AWD exists.
      The R has AWD for one reason only, so the power can get to the wheels.
      ANY car w/ 300 hp or near it going thru the front wheels alone is too squirrely to enjoy. Try and S60 T5, or an Acura TL and you'll see what I mean. As for the brakes, they are the largest Volvo has ever put on a passenger car and the best as well.
      Yannis is giving you some good advice.

2017 S90 T6 Inscription Polestar. Volvo #7!

Re: You share your marketing strategy everytime you post with y ... (VolvoMax)

Its not what you say but how you say it. If you had read earlier posts and cannot see what I am saying then well no use wasting my time explaining what I meant by edge. I could care less why Volvo put AWD on the S60R. What I do care about is how Volvo serves my needs which are acceleration, stick, AWD for snow, DVD navi in a good looking sedan. The only advice I was seeking was how people dealt with the performance tires on the car during winter.

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements