Beginning to Wonder about Auto Repair Shop...Tire Balance Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Beginning to Wonder about Auto Repair Shop...Tire Balance Question

So I had a directional tire installed - they installed it in the wrong direction. I took the car back the very next day and they corrected the issue; however, the balance was now woefully off. Returned a week later and they corrected the balance issue (sort of, still a bit shaky) but (and this is where I need your help) - they left the half torn off adhesive residue on the wheel - not a big deal but it looks bad and sort of speaks to the quality of their service IMO. If you are unfamiliar with the adhesive tape use for wheel weights - its like the 3M adhesive tape with a small cushion material. What they left on the wheel was the adhesive and cushion material. Please tell me if I'm being ridiculous about this - I am rather sensitive about my car.
      Last edited by DCPattie; 01-13-2014 at 06:42 PM.
      Dave in VA

2012 XC70 T6, AWD (new T6 motor installed 8/27/2015)
      2016 Cadillac ATS-V

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree with you, drives me crazy and happens all the time to me

Sent from my Scott's iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 V70 R AWD MT Electric Silver with Nordkap, Snabb intake pipe, IPD upper engine mount and torque mount, Mandrel bent 3" catback with Magnaflow resonator and muffler, Phuzzy DP, IPD Subframe Bushings, Eurosport Tuning Intake with R-Kelly snorkel, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Viva upgraded Turbo @ 21PSI boost, UpSolute Tune, IPD HD TCV, IPD Throttle Inlet Tube, IPD Boost Gauge, Brembo Rotors front and rear, IPD HD Endlinks

Quote Originally Posted by DCPattie View Post
      So I had a directional tire installed - they installed it in the wrong direction. I took the car back the very next day and they corrected the issue; however, the balance was now woefully off. Returned a week later and they corrected the balance issue (sort of, still a bit shaky) but (and this is where I need your help) - they left the half torn off adhesive residue on the wheel - not a big deal but it looks bad and sort of speaks to the quality of their service IMO. If you are unfamiliar with the adhesive tape use for wheel weights - its like the 3M adhesive tape with a small cushion material. What they left on the wheel was the adhesive and cushion material. Please tell me if I'm being ridiculous about this - I am rather sensitive about my car.
      If you are rather sensitive, I would suggest going to a place that can do a road force balance. This sort of service seems far more common on the east coast than the west. Very few places offer it and do it right out here. The difference is amazing if done correctly. A good place will even re-mount the tire.

You are not being ridiculous.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yesitsme View Post
      If you are rather sensitive, I would suggest going to a place that can do a road force balance. This sort of service seems far more common on the east coast than the west. Very few places offer it and do it right out here. The difference is amazing if done correctly. A good place will even re-mount the tire.

You are not being ridiculous.
      A road force balance is definitely the way to go. My R didn't feel right to me until I had it done. However, it's extremely difficult to find a shop that has any idea whatsoever how to do it properly, so my advice would be to check out the reviews for any locals shops that offer road force balancing.

If you have a local shop who works on race/performance cars try them as they're used to mounting directional tires.
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

Just my luck, I had a sidewall puncture on my winter tire (I was going to replace after this season) so I ended up just replacing all 4 at a new shop next to my work location. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The are balanced correctly for what feels like the first time ever. BTW, I just purchased a set of michelin alpin pa4 and they are amazing - feels like I'm on a summer tire for winter roads.
      Dave in VA

2012 XC70 T6, AWD (new T6 motor installed 8/27/2015)
      2016 Cadillac ATS-V

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements