Twin turbo S60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Twin turbo S60

Twin turbo S60

This is probably a stupid question, probably never gonna do it. But is it possible to transform the S60 2.3 or 2.4 turbos and adding another turbo in the configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sure, it's possible. However, the thousands of dollars you'd have to spend swapping out all of the other necessary components to allow for this setup would make it illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruser07 View Post
      This is probably a stupid question, probably never gonna do it. But is it possible to transform the S60 2.3 or 2.4 turbos and adding another turbo in the configuration.

But why?
      That was so 1990s.

A tuned big single will always be better than two little ones.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

yeah or just swap in an S80 T6.. the even number of cylinders makes more sense in a twinturbo setup

on the other hand you could try to mimick the new volvo engine and add on a supercharger before the turbo

without the proper tuning or kits available this would be difficult to get right

most normal people just upgrade the single turbo
      Last edited by Racer_S; 01-23-2014 at 03:05 AM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [240K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [190K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

What would you be gaining from a twin turbo setup OP? Other than being able to say you car is "twin turbo"? I have a hunch it's the second choice, just for the sake of being different right? Lol.

Anyways, as Racer mentioned, the Volvo already makes a dual turbo setup for the S80 but it's for the straight 6 cylinder and works well with the even number of cylinders. A bit complicated on the piping and stuff but that's what happens when you run two turbos. This would not be an easy swap, would require extensive modification, alteration and fabrication. If you need to ask how to do it then it's over your head.

Volvo twin turbo:

And just for fun here is a Volvo 850 that has been twin charged with a eaton supercharger and bigger turbo, has constant boost from the supercharger and even working on a dual engine conversion at the moment, anything is possible if you have the skills, time and money.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...t5-kompressor/
      Our Work Is Never Over.

What if you did a rear/remote turbo install?

Junior Member Baron Von Chickenpants's Avatar
      ugh, even worse, you'd be paying big money for massive lag. the plumbing alone would be a grand
      2001 T5 - Le Moneypit
      2016 Genesis Ultimate AWD - Le Noyce

I think in lieu of a twin-charge, maybe another route could be sequential twin turbos like Subaru does on the JDM only B4:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1242/article.html

But you are looking at some serious R&D to make a dual-outlet header that would connect to 2 turbos, plus all that engineering to make the turbos switch out duty as rpms increase. But this way, you could have a 13T AND a 19T and blow the rods in your test run!
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

I'd like to see it done. my opinion is this.... twins are better than big singles. more so if actually sized right.

the whole single turbo is better thing come from tuners/owners only caring about peak power and not what really makes a car fast which is the area under the curve.

tuning a twin turbo car is no harder than tuning a single turbo car. you're tuning for airflow not how many turbos or supercharger s there are. air is air no matter where its coming from.

my recommendation if you want to twin up an inline motor. compound TT it. not complicated.... then shot on your big turbo single buddies.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R - Red - 5speed ATX - Snow Performance Meth. Inj., IPD Boost Gauge, 3" Upgraded FMIC and Piping (not sure on brand), IPD HD TVC, Snabb 3" Intake, Evolve SST 3" Exhuast, 3" Race Downpipe, 18" IPD Peg Reps Matte Black
      2004 Mazda 6 - Custom TT 3.2L Noble Hybrid V6, NX Proton Nitrous System, AEM Meth. Inj./Monitor System, ID1000 Injectors, Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump - Too Much To list.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements