It's been awhile - Page 7
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      Awesome. So are you more of a VW guy or Volvo guy? Or is it just the V part? I've always felt the amazon and the squareback/notchback had a similar feel. Of course, one doesn't sound like an air cooled VW.
      A VW guy that has allowed Volvo's into my heart, haha. My first three cars were aircooled (all early Type 1 beetles), my last two were modern (GTI and R32). The Volvo was bought a few years after the R32 and both are the longest owned cars of mine, 10 and 8 years respectively.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sent the car down for a new headliner, roof insulation, wind lace, and had the front two seats webbed and lower cushions firmed up. Interior stuff doesn't interest me, I rather leave that to guys who do it every day.

I'm with you on that. I'll re-skin a seat with a factory skin but I tried a headliner in my first 122 and it came out terrible, I have no patience for fabric.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Just enjoying it today.

Most enjoyable.

Unfortunately, I've put mine to bed for the winter. Will still be working on it over the months, but no road until spring.
      Chris

1966 122S B-18D/M40 4-dr, Sea Green/Brown
      2007 XC90 3.2 AWD, Shadow Blue/Graphite Gray
      2012 Audi A6 3.0T quattro, Aviator Blue/Brown

Can you post pictures of the wind lace in the car please?.

I should just start calling this my Amazon picture thread, I hardly do much but drive it lately. Ordered up some yellow fog lights to pair up with the driving lights that should come in next week. I am planning on taking the trans out soon to address the intermittent OD which I diagnosed last year as failing operating piston seals.

Nice shots... perfect mix of subject and setting.
      Chris

I don't know the specifics of the underside of an Amazon; but, on my 140 with the car up on stands, laying on your back you can just reach up to access the OD lock out switch on the top cover. Getting a suitable wrench up there to loosen it is a separate challenge. If its in super tight which requires a long wrench it may be a no go. Might be worthwhile giving it a try unless the box has to come out for other reasons.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

Quote Originally Posted by Csm22 View Post
      Nice shots... perfect mix of subject and setting.
      Thanks, trying to capture the feeling of being there with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
      I don't know the specifics of the underside of an Amazon; but, on my 140 with the car up on stands, laying on your back you can just reach up to access the OD lock out switch on the top cover. Getting a suitable wrench up there to loosen it is a separate challenge. If its in super tight which requires a long wrench it may be a no go. Might be worthwhile giving it a try unless the box has to come out for other reasons.
      The O rings on the operating pistons are most likely dry rotted from sitting dry too long after it was completely overhauled and rebuilt in 2009. I bought it in 2014 and it sat on my garage floor until I installed it last year. It works great when it's cold out for about 20 minutes (below 60 degrees) with the factory recommended oil then it starts dropping out. I could band aid the situation by running thick oil but I'd rather address the issue properly and upgrade at the same time.

Here is a great read. Pictures are near the bottom for reference.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/OverdriveRebuild.html

Thanks, trying to capture the feeling of being there with the car.

Thinking winter was just around the corner, I did the pre-hibernation oil change WAY too early... barely any snow so far. Could've been driving all this time, but it's just as well... catching up with a lot of deferred maintenance and detail corrections, so it's a good thing, I guess. Winter therapy for car and owner.
      Chris

Quote Originally Posted by R32rennsport View Post
      The O rings on the operating pistons are most likely dry rotted from sitting dry too long after it was completely overhauled and rebuilt in 2009. I bought it in 2014 and it sat on my garage floor until I installed it last year. It works great when it's cold out for about 20 minutes (below 60 degrees) with the factory recommended oil then it starts dropping out. I could band aid the situation by running thick oil but I'd rather address the issue properly and upgrade at the same time.

Here is a great read. Pictures are near the bottom for reference.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/OverdriveRebuild.html
      I misread your post. For some unexplainable reason I had mentally inserted switch after 'intermittent OD'.

I would honestly drive my car year round being that I'm in California but the car isn't completely waterproofed yet. The window seals are all dry rotted and I'm afraid to change out the front especially because I know there is some nasty surprises lurking under there. I'll probably just skim sealer along the fronts and rear rubber as a temporary solution. I need to re-glue the new trunk seal as it pulled up last month and I also still need to give the underside a second healthy coat of spray on liner.

Petrified seals were my concern before I changed them all out, but salt paranoia is what's keeping my garage occupied... yeah, it's overkill for a tough car like the Amazon, but I just can't bring myself to do it until the roads are clean.
      Chris

A prudent choice. The Amazon may have been durable; but, it was not built with galvanized panels so a bath in salt brine will bring pretty quick undesirable results. If you look, you can find wheel well liners for the Amazon. I installed them on my 142. I still don't winter drive; but, the liners are useful for preventing the accumulation of mud in all the tight little corners / rust spots under the fenders for the rare occasion that I have to drive down a non paved surface after a rain.

I've seen those, and they're reasonably priced... are they secured with screws or clips, or do they just fit into place?
      Chris

I've seen those, and they're reasonably priced... are they secured with screws or clips, or do they just fit into place?
      I think it depends on the version. The ones for my 140 were cut from sheet aluminum and secured by brackets at the front and back bottom edge of the liner. The brackets bolted into the body rails where the mud flap bracket was located. They had a rubber gasket along the edge of the liner that sealed the liner along the inner and outer fender walls. Not the most elegant construction and required a fair amount of modification with some tin snips to get a good fit. There are some molded plastic liners for the rears on the 140 and I think for the fronts on the Amazon. Those look nice (I think CVI has them for the Amazon); but, I have no idea how they are retained.

I went the aluminum sheet route because there were no molded plastic liners for the front on the 140 and the front is the big problem. Accumulated crap behind the headlight bucket causing rust-through and the top and back edge of the fender well leading to significant rust on the firewall. The aluminum sheet versions, aside from looking a bit primitive have the down side that when driving on a gravel lane with crushed rock the tires pick up the small aggregate and fling it against the liner which rings like crazy - sounds like being in a hailstorm.

VP has molded plastic liners for the front and rear wheel wells, and they appear to have tabs that might grip onto the inner fender lip; the fact that they don't seem to list any mounting hardware along with them (as they frequently do) leads me to believe that they might just press into place. Will drop them a line and find out.
      Chris

This has been something I've been meaning to look into as well, at least for the fronts to cut down on both noise and crud accumulation. Thanks for the reminder!

Word from VP:

This is a product we trade and they are snapped to the wheel arches. I am not sure if they need additional bolts. There is no kit included.

Sorry for not having better answers, these are not big sellers in USA. Main problem is they are over size so the shipping is ridiculous. $150-200 shipping which more or less makes them impossible to sell (we normally add them in to large truck freight orders).

If I were seriously in the market for wheel well liners, I'd probably bite the bullet and pay the shipping, but my car rarely (if ever) leaves the pavement. That said, they seem like a good option if you are looking for that extra protection.
      Chris

VP has molded plastic liners for the front and rear wheel wells, and they appear to have tabs that might grip onto the inner fender lip; the fact that they don't seem to list any mounting hardware along with them (as they frequently do) leads me to believe that they might just press into place. Will drop them a line and find out.
      Those molded liners look the treat and are about 1/2 the price that they show for the aluminum liners (which does seem to be a bit out there based on what I remember paying; but, I got mine from Scandcar)

Word from VP:

This is a product we trade and they are snapped to the wheel arches. I am not sure if they need additional bolts. There is no kit included.

Sorry for not having better answers, these are not big sellers in USA. Main problem is they are over size so the shipping is ridiculous. $150-200 shipping which more or less makes them impossible to sell (we normally add them in to large truck freight orders).

If I were seriously in the market for wheel well liners, I'd probably bite the bullet and pay the shipping, but my car rarely (if ever) leaves the pavement. That said, they seem like a good option if you are looking for that extra protection.
      I can understand the shipping issue. At least for shipping to Canada, VP in the US always uses a courier service. I purchased a replacement front bottom seat foam from them for my 140 (around $150) and with the courier cost plus their brokerage fee the foam ended up being around $300 (light weight; but, large box!). Because of VPs shipping methods, I typically find that it is cheaper to purchase from CVI in Europe who use the postal system (last time I checked). Too bad because VP does seem to have a larger selection of parts.

I know CVI sells the front plastic liners for the Amazon. It might be interesting to see how the postal cost from Sweden compares to VP's shipping costs.

Some additions to the rear of the car.

“I swear... it’s a fog light, NOT a tailgater light!”
      Chris

“I swear... it’s a fog light, NOT a tailgater light!”
      It's fairly low wattage (35 watts), not enough to blind anyone, just enough to let them know I'm there. I also made sure that it was pointed slightly down from center at 25 feet. It's wired inline with the front fogs with a manual over ride switch as well.

Looks great.
      Chris

Forum;

An add-on Rear Fog Light is an appropriate period accessory!

A little history...Rear Fog Lights are more common in EU countries, where they would be added by owners who did a lot of driving in foggy conditions, and wanted a passive defensive device, to increase visual signature to the rear and help prevent being rear-ended in fog...they're wired in conjunction with forward facing Foglights which the driver might turn on when the regular (low beams) aren't cutting it (and EU regs require automatic switching OFF of the front Fogs when going to High Beams, while rear Fog Light stays ON, but why you would go to High Beams in foggy conditions is a different question and discussion...).

Back in the sixties, there were no spare lens sections in the typical small rear light-fixtures, so Rear Fog Lights were added on separately. Nowadays, with the comparatively huge rear light-fixtures, extra lens-panels are available, so manufacturers just build the circuit and light-source right in...no add-ons are needed...but it wouldn't be the first or last time I saw someone driving down the road in an Audi or M-Benz with them unnecessarily ON...half the American bluehair owners of these cars don't even know what they are (RTFM!), and just have "that extra light switch on the combination Lightswitch stalk control" ON, drive down the road in perfect visibility conditions, looking like they have just one brake light on, and half annoying, half blinding drivers behind them...am I ranting...?

See also: https://www.sw-em.com/lighting.htm#s...g_light_wiring

Cheers

Petrified seals were my concern before I changed them all out, but salt paranoia is what's keeping my garage occupied... yeah, it's overkill for a tough car like the Amazon, but I just can't bring myself to do it until the roads are clean.
      The Amazon may have been durable; but, it was not built with galvanized panels so a bath in salt brine will bring pretty quick undesirable results. If you look, you can find wheel well liners for the Amazon. I installed them on my 142. I still don't winter drive; but, the liners are useful for preventing the accumulation of mud in all the tight little corners / rust spots under the fenders .

Quote Originally Posted by lynn.gutko2002 View Post
      The Amazon may have been durable; but, it was not built with galvanized panels so a bath in salt brine will bring pretty quick undesirable results. If you look, you can find wheel well liners for the Amazon. I installed them on my 142. I still don't winter drive; but, the liners are useful for preventing the accumulation of mud in all the tight little corners / rust spots under the fenders .
      I've wanted to add them for protection from the elements but also because they do quite a bit for keeping the cabin quite, especially when exploring down gravel roads.

Well I'm back at the interior at the moment finishing up everything I neglected back in September to get it to the VCOA meet. Had to stop at this point because I ran out of deadening material and had to order up another case. By the time I'm done I'll have added about 80lbs of new material through out the flooring of the car. Gladly willing to give up some agility for comfort. At 2400 pounds stock this wasn't exactly a sprinter of its era anyhow and with approximately a third more power then it had originally the only thing I'm even slightly concerned about is adequate braking at speed.

Looks good... are you going to do the doors? While door card removal is a PITA, the difference it makes in the door slam is noteworthy.
      Chris

Looks good... are you going to do the doors? While door card removal is a PITA, the difference it makes in the door slam is noteworthy.
      I've already done the rear quarters with a combo closed cell foam and spray on rubber. The plan for the front doors is the same as well as covering the door panels in plastic for moisture protection. I need to do the quarter window seals so it'll be an excuse to deaden the doors then.

Quote Originally Posted by R32rennsport View Post
      I've wanted to add them for protection from the elements but also because they do quite a bit for keeping the cabin quite, especially when exploring down gravel roads.
      That depends on the construction. If the liners for the Amazon are molded plastic then they will probably reduce noise on a road with a lot of loose gravel. The formed aluminum liners on my 142 - not so quiet. Think tin roof in a hail storm.

While I let the glue dry on all the carpet padding I revised my front lighting situation. I'll get around to wiring it eventually, but I'm digging the new arrangement. The old 5 inch Hella driving lights I used to have will get mounted to my VW Golf, because rally light all the things!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast