Dealer Butchered My XC60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dealer Butchered My XC60

Hello All,

I recently purchased a new 2013 XC60 R-Design. Part of the deal was that a trailer hitch was to be installed at a later date. Today was the day I scheduled the hitch to be installed. When I picked up the car I was horrified to see what they had done. The hole they cut into the valance was not only huge but not centered, straight, or even the same type of corner (one sharp angle and one rounded). Once the service advsor looked at it he said nothing to defend the work and simply said that they would order a new valance and make the hole smaller. Needless to say I am not thrilled and my wife (her car) is beyond upset. Right now I am not confident that they can do the job right the second time. If some of you with R-Design models with trailer hitches can post some pictures of the cutout I would appreciate it.

Here is a pic of how it is now

Thanks.

BTW here is a pic of the other Volvo in the fleet

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Holy crap. I don't even understand how that could even happen. Did they use a fricking hack saw? They should be beyond embarrassed.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

+1 That looks like a 12 year old did it. I would demand a new bumper. And then take it somewhere else to get the hitch put on or do it yourself.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Not a good job. Regardless, it seems that they are willing to replace your valance and it should look good after that.

I am surprised they are installing a Volvo hitch on an R-design...it is not available as a Port -installed accessory mainly because of the challenges the R-design's rear valance presents.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

No one takes pride in their work any longer. That is atrocious! I'd have them remove the hitch, place a new bumper then RUN LIKE HELL away from that dealer. Who knows what damage they will do at a simple service call!!!!!!........your old school Volvo is gorgeous, VERY NICE. don't let that dealer even look at it!
      Last edited by XC60 RD; 01-29-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Wow, how could they possibly think that was an acceptable job, especially from a dealer. I would have been speechless.

That old Volvo is a beauty!
      '00 Mystic Silver metallic V70R, Rear Wing, Dolby
      '02 Desert Wind S40 Sports premium/winter pkg
      '12 Savile Gray metallic S60 T5, Premium/Climate/BLIS/City Safety/rear spoiler
      '13 Seashell metallic XC60 T6, Platinum/Climate/BLIS/Polestar-tuned/IPD anti-sway bar
      '16 Seashell metallic S60 T5 AWD (replaced '17 S60)
      '13A DICE/VIDA, x's '93 850 GLT, '04 XC90, '17 S60 T5 (Totaled!)

While very, very poorly executed and sloppy, please keep in mind that the cut out on the RD bumper is huge and unsightly even when cut out perfectly. The first couple we did we thought Volvo couldn't be serious that thats how they wanted it done.
      Expert Rating Volvo Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Marker View Post
      Holy crap. I don't even understand how that could even happen. Did they use a fricking hack saw? They should be beyond embarrassed.
      You actually do use a small reciprocating saw to cut the hole, there are marks on the inside of the bumper to follow. That is the correct size of the hole however they could have done a better job. I blame Volvo for the poor support or lack there of for this accessory, most manufacturers would have a proper template or even a factory manufactured pop out piece for the hitch.

The dealer should be held responsible for the poor work and replace the bumper with a properly trimmed hole.

If it's just plastic, and I was doing this myself, I would cut the hole smaller with the saw, and then use a dremel with a sanding drum to enlarge the hole to a nice clean edge.

You'd think Volvo could offer some type of plastic trim piece to snap on and fit around the hitch and slide up against the valance to hide the actual cut.

IMO, Volvo has never taken tow hitches and towing seriously. It's like an afterthought, maybe even an annoyance to them. I hope the next XC90's towing is properly thought out from day 1 and offers a completely integrated tow hitch option like many other brands do.

PS. Are there no hidden hitches for an XC60 like many of us installed for our XC90s? You could always spot the OEM tow hitch XC90s as they drove by with their cutup bumpers, it was ugly.
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

WOW!
      I have a couple of pic of my dealer installed OEM hitch. I will take closer pics if you like, but I with a Hieco valance. So I'm not sure it will help. I'm very pleased with the install. It's the first one they've ever installed so I was a little concerned when the dealer said they were going to have to cut the valance.
      [IMG][/IMG]

sad......sorry your dealer jacked it up like this....When I install hitches, I drill two holes in each corner to make sure the corners are rounded and OEM-like. then I use a fine plastic blade on my air saw along a taped on metal straight edge. then I clean the edges with a razor blade. they come out nearly perfect every time. It's really not that hard if you care about your work. Hopefully they make this right for you. If not, drive to texas and I'll do it for you

Well there you go, for your time and inconvenience the dealer should just install a Heico valance for you.

I can't believe any dealer would even show you the mess they made of your car. Yes they may make it right by replacing the piece but for now you have look at it till they get the replacement part and come back to have the work done AGAIN. Good luck.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Presently taking a ride thru the Black Forest.

OP, do you mind telling me what they charged you for the job? I have been considering getting a hitch as I want to be able to tow my car. Thanks.
      11' XC60 R Design Black Sapphire - Polestar tune (The daily.)
      08' VW Passat 2.0T - more mods than room in sig. The toy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
      OP, do you mind telling me what they charged you for the job? I have been considering getting a hitch as I want to be able to tow my car. Thanks.
      not sure what he was charged but just so you have a baseline---Volvo prices their kit with hitch, reciever, ball, harness, module, and software completely installed for $1,131.90.

That includes labor but not tax and such.
      And just fyi, you can purchase kits elsewhere cheaper but the harness/module works in conjunction with the vehicle to adjust for traction control and different shift points. It's more than just a hitch and some spliced wires.

Wow amazing how they would actually think that was acceptable?

Whoever did that work needs to be fired ASAP.. unbelievable
      '06 S60R | M66 | BSM / Nordkap | Premium / Convenience / Climate / Sport Body | AutoTech Tune | 3.5'' Catless Downpipe | 3'' Straight Piped Exhaust | Custom Charge Pipe | Welded Angle Gear | SPEC Clutch & Single Mass Flywheel | ViVA FMIC | Forge CBV | Snabb TIP | 'R' Kelly CAI | VST Strut Brace | KW V2 | H&R Spacers | 25mm Sway Bars | SS Brake lines | DRT Sport Rotors | 18'' VST Monoblocks | iPd 'R' Boost gauge | The list goes on. . .

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
      WOW!
      I have a couple of pic of my dealer installed OEM hitch. I will take closer pics if you like, but I with a Hieco valance. So I'm not sure it will help. I'm very pleased with the install. It's the first one they've ever installed so I was a little concerned when the dealer said they were going to have to cut the valance.
      [IMG][IMG]http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b526/briandhoyt/f25c3dc8-3f74-485b-a6ba-
      27568eece3b2_zps87c068f9.jpg[/IMG]
      [/IMG]
      Now that's a NICE job. Looks OEM! as it should. I feel for Volvosickness

I will try and get a pic sometime today for you. Had the same thing done however with decent results unlike what happened to yours. Sorry for the trouble.
      12' XC60, R-Design, Polestar, Platinum Package, Climate Package w/Rear-Heated Seats, Premium Sound, Custom LED DRLs

WOW!
      I'd like some clarification on your statement since I also went to get a hitch installed when my XC60 RD comes in. Did you put on a Heico valance because it had clearance for a hitch, or will the installer still need to cut in to it even if it is a Heico?

Thanks!

That looks comically bad, haha. Sorry to laugh, but there's nothing else to do...
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

I would call out this dealer on this thread, to give everyone a heads up not to patronize this particular dealer. Absolutely horrid, and unacceptable!
      2013 C70 T5 Celestial Blue Pearl on Calcite - Purchased new on 10-17-13
      2016 V60 CC T5 AWD Crystal White Pearl over Beechwood/Charcoal - Purchased new (certified) on 1-12-18

That 144 looks amazing
      White car: --744 GLE ´88-- Polishing object
      Black car: --S80 V8 ´07-- Daily driver
      www.garaget.org/JE_Jr

Quote Originally Posted by pattyweb View Post
      If it's just plastic, and I was doing this myself, I would cut the hole smaller with the saw, and then use a dremel with a sanding drum to enlarge the hole to a nice clean edge.

You'd think Volvo could offer some type of plastic trim piece to snap on and fit around the hitch and slide up against the valance to hide the actual cut.

IMO, Volvo has never taken tow hitches and towing seriously. It's like an afterthought, maybe even an annoyance to them. I hope the next XC90's towing is properly thought out from day 1 and offers a completely integrated tow hitch option like many other brands do.

PS. Are there no hidden hitches for an XC60 like many of us installed for our XC90s? You could always spot the OEM tow hitch XC90s as they drove by with their cutup bumpers, it was ugly.

Hu??
      Put in a Hitch is easy ashell in volvo (especially V70), everything is pre done, even the holes are marked out in the bumper.
      Cables etc are there just connect them in the sockets.

This is XC60 with hitch in sweden, only diff from the OME is that the plastic has been painted
      For XC60 -14 R-design the number for scidplate from volvo is. 31338991

Instruction manual for fixed one regarding XC60.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...33-1/XC60_2013

Almost ALL volvo here in sweden got these...

v60 R-design.
      Last edited by Snowie; 01-29-2014 at 04:30 PM.
      Audi A4 Avant Quattro TDI B8 - 15
      Waiting for: Volvo XC60 T8 Momentum Pro - MY19

Volvo V40 D4 R-Design -14
      BMW 320d Touring Exclusive Edition -12
      Volvo S60 2.4 business -05

Unfortunate the US has a different hitch I don't think its possible to fit such a cover, but could be wrong?

PS. Look at Snowie's picture, that's how proper winter tyres should look like! DS.
      White car: --744 GLE ´88-- Polishing object
      Black car: --S80 V8 ´07-- Daily driver
      www.garaget.org/JE_Jr

actually volvo sells the same hitch cover here in the states but that isn't an excuse for poor cutting under the cover. with and without the cover it should look good.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseTech View Post
      actually volvo sells the same hitch cover here in the states but that isn't an excuse for poor cutting under the cover. with and without the cover it should look good.
      thats very true, they did a horrible job on that one.
      Audi A4 Avant Quattro TDI B8 - 15
      Waiting for: Volvo XC60 T8 Momentum Pro - MY19

Volvo V40 D4 R-Design -14
      BMW 320d Touring Exclusive Edition -12
      Volvo S60 2.4 business -05

Thanks for the support. At least I know I'm not being completely unreasonable. As bad of a job that this is I believe the opening does have to be on the large side and that is why I wanted to see some other installations on RD models. Regardless I think the right answer is to get the new valance from the dealer and cut it myself. I have very low confidence that the second time around would yeild a significant improvement. What I think I will need to do is get the wiring portion installed as the electrical bracket stands out like a sore thumb. At least the electrical plug will fill in the space. Honestly the design of the hitch could be better. The electrical bracket could be locaed elsewhere so I can be mounted behind the bumper and unseen. The way it is attached to the side it drops down past the bumper edge and makes a large opening a requirement. Also, the chain attchments are unequal in size and horizontal. Why they are of unequal length is beyond me but it makes it look odd and unbalanced. Overall if I knew this is how it would be executed I would have passed on the hitch all together. I'll have to check the paperwork to see how much the hitch cost.

Thanks for the comments on the 144. I got the car from my dad who is the original owner. The car is completely original and unrestored with 16,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by volvosickness View Post
      Thanks for the support. At least I know I'm not being completely unreasonable. As bad of a job that this is I believe the opening does have to be on the large side and that is why I wanted to see some other installations on RD models. Regardless I think the right answer is to get the new valance from the dealer and cut it myself. I have very low confidence that the second time around would yeild a significant improvement. What I think I will need to do is get the wiring portion installed as the electrical bracket stands out like a sore thumb. At least the electrical plug will fill in the space. Honestly the design of the hitch could be better. The electrical bracket could be locaed elsewhere so I can be mounted behind the bumper
      and unseen. The way it is attached to the side it drops down past the bumper edge and makes a large opening a requirement. Also, the chain attchments are unequal in size and horizontal. Why they are of unequal length is beyond me but it makes it look odd and unbalanced. Overall if I knew this is how it would be executed I would have passed on the hitch all together. I'll have to check the paperwork to see how much the hitch cost.

Thanks for the comments on the 144. I got the car from my dad who is the original owner. The car is completely original and
      unrestored with 16,000 miles.
      WHAT! only 16,000 miles OMG that is sick. It's gorgeous. Good for you. How much would that car go on the auction market, just curious ;0)

There are different models of hitches for the XC60. Volvo installed mine. No cutting at all, but it is a little lower. With the hitch out, you can hardly tell it has a hitch. Just FYI. Thanks.

2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

brutal job. glad i went with the Curt on my 2012 RD...no cutting required
      Mike
      Toronto, Canada
      2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design - Electric Silver

Quote Originally Posted by twbannon View Post
      There are different models of hitches for the XC60. Volvo installed mine. No cutting at all, but it is a little lower. With the hitch out, you can hardly tell it has a hitch. Just FYI. Thanks.

Is that an OEM hitch or is it a Curt hitch? That is so much cleaner.

It is a draw tight model 75671 hidden hitch. If I remember there were a couple different model numbers for what was called a "hidden" hitch. Thanks.
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
      brutal job. glad i went with the Curt on my 2012 RD...no cutting required
      +1
      nothing cut. Here is the guy installing it:
      2012 XC60 R design in Cosmic White (hers)
      2009 MBZ CLK 550 (mine)
      2004 Mazdaspeed Miata (track)

I installed my own OEM hitch and had to cut it myself. That dealer did a horrible job. I cut mine using medical scissors and a razor blade. As someone stated above some people take no pride in what their final product looks like anymore.
      2015 XC70 T6, Premium Plus, Climate Package, BLIS
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD Premium Plus, Climate Package, BLIS
      2013 S60 T5 Platinum, Climate Package, BLIS
      2012 S60 T5 Premium Plus, Climate Package
      2003 XC70 T5

I have the Heico Rear valance and I was reluctant to get the rear hitch i wanted because I was told they would have to cut it and wouldn't be responsible if the results were undesirable since it is not a stock valence. Looks like yours came out perfect... Is it the stock volvo hitch?

WOW!
      [IMG][/IMG]
      2012 XC60 T6 - Black/Black Premium Plus, Climate, Remote Start, Polestar+, Some Heico bits.
      2007 XC70 2.5T - Black/Charcoal - Climate - (SOLD)
      1989 Toyota MR2 - Supercharged - Full Stainless Exhaust - TRD - HKS - Greddy (SOLD)
      1965 Buick Wildcat Convertible - Nailhead 401 - Dual Quad Carb - Dual Exhaust (SOLD)

just so everyone is aware....the rear of the bumper shows where to cut this thing and it does show a very large area for the wiring bracket. Most aftermarket hitches do not come with the wiring bracket or have a very different style. Volvo assumes your parts dept will also sell you the hitch cover to hide the large cutout. the height of the hitch is the ideal height to work with the crash systems on the truck and other vehicles that hit you. other aftermarket models don't have to take that into effect so they mount a bit lower. this in no way is a excuse for that terrible cutting, but just as FYI for anyone that goes OEM in the future.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast