Other c70 owners - how much does your car rattle?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Other c70 owners - how much does your car rattle?

I bought a 2007 c70 for my wife just before the first of the year. It's in good condition, purchased from a Volvo dealer, and my independent mechanic gave it a thumbs up for the usual mechanical problems. When I drove it around for an afternoon before committing, I noticed that it was a bit noisier than a sedan, which was not really a surprise given the design, and my s60 has spoiled me for sure. There were some rattles and creaks from the top and the trunk area when going over bumps with the top closed. That was a rainy day in the mid 40's, and my main concern was that there were no leaks or mechanical problems with the car. I ran the top up/down several times, checked for signs of rubbing between parts, it all looked good.

After driving the car for a few weeks, and in much colder weather (high today will be 16 F if we're lucky), I'm hearing some pretty loud thunks in addition to the creaks etc. The noises come from all around as the top flexes, a bit disconcerting really. Granted that some of this is due to ice buildup on the body, hard, low profile tires in cold weather, and the roads have really suffered with numerous potholes etc. What I'm wondering is, how much of this is normal? I always liked the c70 but didn't ever expect to own one, so most of my research has been after the fact. I don't see reviewers complaining about noises or rigidity problems, quite the opposite really. But, with the age of the car I wouldn't be surprised if there were some nuts and bolts or bushings that need tightening or adjustment.

Not too many posts here about this car, likely due to lower volume than other models. Any 2nd gen c70 owners care to share their experiences?
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2016 S60I, 2013 S60, 2003 XC70, 2002 V70, 1998 S70

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a 2011 with 30k miles. Coldest weather brings a few squeaks. Just 2-3. otherwise quiet with no noise other than mechanical sounds. I was prepared for the rattle and shake syndrome but have been please to have found none.

i'm going through my 2nd winter with my 2008 c70 (purchase used in 2012). i've had some squeaks/creaks but some are related to some modifications i've made (rear sway bar with polyurethane bushings, lower control arm polyurethane bushings -- since removed those to volvo sport control arms) and although i had the strut mounts replaced with the new shocks, i think i may need the front passenger mount replaced again -- perhaps got a bad one or it got damaged from a few too many pot holes on my terrible commute... giving me intermittent squeeks when turning the steering wheel at low speeds.

generallly squeeks are definitely worse in the winter. plastics shrink and stiffen. for the top, be sure to use something like gummi phlege (sp?, $8 via amazon) to lubricate the seals between the folding top sections and windows. that helps resolve a lot of those squeaks from the top.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

As a long-time owner of several convertibles, the C70 is excellent in rattle and squeak control. Again - for a convertible. It will never compare to a sedan - Volvo or (I think the standard for noise and rattles) Lexus.

Search for the convertible top lubrication threads, I think that will take care of most if not all of your squeaks. I definitely second the gummi phlege suggestion.

As for the thunks, check the rear suspension and in particular the rear anti-sway bar. The anti-sway bar can sometimes loosen after repeated lifts at repair/tire shops (especially if you have an aftermarket bar); when the wheels hang from the lift it stresses the stiff bar. Loose endlinks or other connections on the bar will lead to thuds and groans from the rear.

Finally, do you have the 18" wheels? There is certainly a ride noise quality impact versus the 17s.

Best of luck and keep us posted
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

19" and no noticeable rattles.
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

Mine rattled plenty. I had it lubed by the dealer, used the gumni phelege stuff but it never really was a quiet car. It even had a factory strut brace fitted but the car did not feel solid. I got rid of it with less than 5,000 miles from new.

I have an '08, original owner and not much mileage. As far as creeks n rattles, nothing more than what you have already heard. I'm in pothole city (Staten Island NY) and yes, it has been extremely cold and snowy. However, I can't say the noises have been any worse because I will not drive in this weather due to the fragile 18" rims and hidden potholes here. Is winter over yet?

No problems here.
      I will have to see if I notice any difference in cold weather if winter ever gets here.
      It may actually drop down below 60 later this week...

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to let the dealer check it over next week just in case. I'll also order the seal treatment and use that once I get a break in the weather. The noise I'm most concerned about is a pretty loud thunk which seems to come from around the base of the rear window, usually when I hit an off-center bump so the car flexes a bit. In my imagination the rear section of the roof is bouncing on whatever it sits on, maybe a rubber bumper that's rock hard in this weather? At any rate I'll see what they say.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

On my wife's 2006, we had a really annoying rattle coming from left rear. Finally I replaced the bushings in the brake caliper. No more rattle.

I find most of the noise in my car comes from the passenger seat.

I have the original Michelin tires on my 2011 C70 (27,000 miles) and find they're way too noisy. Is there a less noisy tire for this car? As far as other noises or "thunks", I have not experienced anythink and am very pleased with the C70.

Quote Originally Posted by soldonvolvo View Post
      I have the original Michelin tires on my 2011 C70 (27,000 miles) and find they're way too noisy. Is there a less noisy tire for this car? As far as other noises or "thunks", I have not experienced anythink and am very pleased with the C70.
      definitely replace those original michelins and you'll be in for a treat. i bought my 2008 used at 28k miles and asked the previous owner to have the dealer check to see if the bearings were worn because of the noise. promptly replaced with the continental extremecontact dws and so much quieter ride (and better grip too).

lots of other good tires out there too but yeah, those michelin primacies, although they still had some tread were way noisy for me too
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

2006 here, had it since new. The roof rattles very little. But it does once in a while and there is no rhyme or reason. My car has been dealar maintained, and only has 31K miles so far.

Quote Originally Posted by soldonvolvo View Post
      I can already hear the 'whirrr' from the OEM tires on our '13. Was sorely tempted to swap out for the Goodyear TripleTred Assurance A/S tire like I put on the '11 we traded. Great wet and dry traction and ultra quiet compared to the Michelins. Make sure you look for the Goodyear rebate if you decide to go that way.
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2017 FIAT 500L Lounge Bianco...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!(AND the oil and gas business gets better!!!)
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

The louder and more distressing clunking noises mostly went away when the temperature climbed out of the single digits, but the car went into the dealer for its checkup anyway. The "convertible expert" said that there was a software update for the CRM (convertible something module) which caused it to activate the top momentarily each time the car is started to tighten things up. My car did not have this so they performed the update. It did sound a bit better on the way home, but it was cycled several times today so that's as expected...we'll see if it makes a difference.

My bottle of Gummi Phlege was waiting on the porch when I got home so I used it on all the rubber parts I could see and after a quick test drive I think it made a big difference, even after a somewhat cursory application in the dark and cold (20 degrees). I'll be making that a regular thing from now on. The loaner they gave me was a Honda Civic and it really made me realize how spoiled I am with the Volvos. The Honda was just as rattly as the c70, and it has a permanent roof.

So thanks again for all the feedback. Can't wait for warmer weather!
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by Quick Brick View Post
      I find most of the noise in my car comes from the passenger seat.

Hehe
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2017 FIAT 500L Lounge Bianco...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!(AND the oil and gas business gets better!!!)
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

My 2007 C70 with 36k on it has some noise that comes from somewhere in the rear left area, but only when the top is up. When the top is down it is as quite as my S60. I lubricated every joint in the top and the latches and I think it may have helped a bit. Just traveling down the road it is very quite; unusually so for a convertible! The noise is only there when going over a bump. There have been several discussions about top rattle in other forums and does not seem to be determined if it is a top linkage issue or a rear suspension issue.

now my suspension issues have been resolved, the C70 has been great - wonderfully quiet (and great smooth but sporty ride). no rattles, both top up or down. keeping the seals lubed (gummi phlege or shinetsu grease) has pretty much eliminated window-related winter squeaks.

Our C70 (2007 with around 48k miles) is very quiet with the top down, but there are some "creaking" sounds and other noises from the top when it is up. I need to do a thorough seal cleaning and lube, which should help. I also am hearing what sounds like a rattling cable, coming from the passenger side, near the windshield attachment point. It's probably the cable (or one of the cables) that draws the headliner tight. Presumably I'll be able to see some sort of way to tighten this cable up (although I think it is already tensioned by a spring), with the top in partly-open position. Or do the dealers put some sort of little foam "quieters" on these cables?

As for tire noise, the original PZero Rosso summer tires on my car got VERY noisy as they wore. The replacement Continental DWS all-season tires were a lot quieter, and lasted a bit longer, as well. What I have on now are some Yokohamas that are an America's Tire / Discount Tire-specific model, called something like YK580. I've been VERY happy with these. They are quiet like the Conti's, but handle a bit more crisply (more immediate turn-in, like the original Pirelli's), and so far they are wearing a lot better than either of my previous choices. Plus, the price was very good. I don't think they are quite as good in snow as the Conti's, but my car may never see snow. Here's a link:

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580

I just bought a 2011 Volvo C70. I live in Winnipeg, Canada (for those unfamiliar, we have very cold winters). When I test drove the car, the temperatures were unseasonably warm, i.e. around 32F. When I picked up the car yesterday two days ago, the temperatures were closer to normal, being around 0 to -10F. The roof rattles like crazy over every bump (and the roads are terrible here generally and worse in winter). I have not had a chance to call the dealer yet, but was wondering if someone else who lives in a similar climate can confirm that either this is an inevitable problem with this climate because the seals get cold and stiff (I hope not) or that they have vehicles in similar climates that do not rattle every time you hit a major bump.

My '08 has plenty of rattles that seem to come and go. Sometimes opening and closing the top will take care of the top rattles when a cable or something is rattling around. Dynaudio takes care of the rest...LOL. Compared to soft top convertibles I've owned...come to think of it my hardtop Miata too, this car is a pleasure as far as noise...especially wind noise with top up.

I did have a bad engine mount too which was definitely adding to rattles and clunks a bit that has since been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadsam View Post
      I just bought a 2011 Volvo C70. I live in Winnipeg, Canada (for those unfamiliar, we have very cold winters). When I test drove the car, the temperatures were unseasonably warm, i.e. around 32F. When I picked up the car yesterday two days ago, the temperatures were closer to normal, being around 0 to -10F. The roof rattles like crazy over every bump (and the roads are terrible here generally and worse in winter). I have not had a chance to call the dealer yet, but was wondering if someone else who lives in a similar climate can confirm that either this is an inevitable problem with this climate because the seals get cold and stiff (I hope not) or that they have vehicles in similar climates that do not rattle every time you hit a major bump.
      Sounds like your experience is very similar to mine...we must both be crazy to buy 'verts in the middle of winter. Some rattling/creaking is going to be inevitable (my experience), remember that the top rests on rubber bushings, which are hard as a rock when it gets really cold, and that there are plenty of places for water to freeze in the seals between the roof panels when it goes from warm to cold or if there's enough sun to melt a bit during the day and refreeze again. Gummi Phlege also helps a lot, and sometimes there's nothing better than cycling it down/up to resetttle everything. Make sure the car is reasonably level for the best results. Of course other stuff can cause noise too, especially in the cold weather. I will say that the sounds coming from the roof were a bit distressing at first, since none of my (sedan/wagon) previous cars made those kinds of noises. I did get used to it after a while, and the top down experience when the weather finally does warm up makes up for a lot. If you can make it through the winter you'll really enjoy the car.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

My '11 developed a rattle in the trunk at ~30k miles. It was resolved by moving the trunk divider (used when top is down) to the up position providing space for luggage, etc. For some reason when in the down position it makes a rattle on the right side when any bump is struck. Otherwise I am astonished at the quietness. Granted posters here have much colder weather than my 35บ N lattitude.
      I also use a silicone spray which I had from my earlier soft top convertible days. It is to lubricate weatherstripping. It surely worked on those cars to reduce the squeaks of the top moving against the rubber parts and I use it occasionally on the C70.
      Last edited by tarhoosier; 02-02-2015 at 10:50 AM.

welcome.
      +1 on top lubrication (at dealer or at home w/gummi phlege).
      search is your friend...
      Last edited by regtor; 02-03-2015 at 02:07 PM.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast View Post
      Sounds like your experience is very similar to mine...we must both be crazy to buy 'verts in the middle of winter. Some rattling/creaking is going to be inevitable (my experience), remember that the top rests on rubber bushings, which are hard as a rock when it gets really cold, and that there are plenty of places for water to freeze in the seals between the roof panels when it goes from warm to cold or if there's enough sun to melt a bit during the day and refreeze again. Gummi Phlege also helps a lot, and sometimes there's nothing better than cycling it down/up to resetttle everything. Make sure the car is reasonably level for the best results. Of course other stuff can cause noise too, especially in the cold weather. I will say that the sounds coming from the roof were a bit distressing at first, since none of my (sedan/wagon) previous cars made those kinds of noises. I did get used to it after a while, and the top down experience when the weather finally does warm up makes up for a lot. If you can make it through the winter you'll really enjoy the car.
      Haha! Of course I bought a convertible in the middle of the winter, because it is cheaper than buying in the spring! It is my first convertible.

Seriously, thanks for your comprehensive answer. I am somewhat surprised that in all the research I did on this vehicle (and other hardtop convertibles), that none of the reviewers ever mentioned that the top could be a problem in cold weather. Anyways, I will call the dealership, and as I still have 3 months of new car warranty, will have them look at it, and likely they will just add the Gummi Phlege, if nothing else. I still love the car, but had hoped (because it is a "hardtop") to be able to use it problem free in the winter.

By the way, the same bottle of Gummi Phlege costs $8.29 U.S on Amazon.com and in Canada costs $30.24 Canadian. Unbelievable...

Supposed to nudge 80F this weekend in central Texas...might be a good time to condition the seals and seats. We will still have a bit of 'winter' to go; but a warm weekend in early February will go a long way to relieve the winter doldrums . Y'all come on down and enjoy the topless weather!!!

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements