'89 245 o2 sensor: OBD code 212
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

'89 245 o2 sensor: OBD code 212

I still have a problem and this what I sent the BAR on-line today:

"The listed vehicle was due for smog. I had a "check engine" dash light on and had taken the time to diagnose the code (212) as a failing o2 sensor or the signal going to it. I had replaced the o2 sensor, reset/cleared all codes and let the car reach operating temp.

The lamp re-lit indicating I still had a problem (212). I traced the o2 sensor through the firewall and into the cabin where it meets the fuel pump regulator. I found that where the FPR and o2 sensor plug into each other was slightly disengaged possibly causing the fault. I reconnected them and reset everything again. Running to operating temp I now had no "check engine" lamp lit and the diagnostic OBD was clear of any codes as well. I had also cleaned the MAF sensor and flametrap.

The car went for smog today and I was told it failed.

HC readings @ 15mph read 80, with a max allowable @ 81. The NO readings @ 15mph read 445 with a max allowable @ 554.

HC readings @ 25mph read 21 with a max allowable @ 63. NO readings @ 25mph read 891 with a max allowable @ 511.

I queried whether the catalytic converter could cause this and was told that possibly the fuel metering system was failing but that they were uncertain. I was asked if I had a mechanic and that they could recommend someone if needed.

Upon leaving the shop, I NOW have a "check engine" lamp lit that I didn't have when I arrived there. I plan on rechecking my OBD box for codes again to see what I can find on my own.

I've dealt with this shop easily for several years. I had one car that did need a new CAT and I had it done. It then passed easily. Another car went through two o2 sensors as one was probably bad right from the box as they have to be handled/installed carefully to avoid damaging the sensor tip.

This time I was not comfortable with a weak answer as to the cause, and a "check engine" lamp lit AFTER they've touched the car.

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated."

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How old/miles is the CAT?

George Dill

I'll say 200K is accurate for mileage on that CAT. I went two days+ without that light and after an attempt to smog it, it's back. I'll recheck everything I can and add plugs, rotor and wires. If I need a CAT, then I need a CAT.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

What is the model year cutoff for smog check in your area?

George Dill

1975...why I got 2 122's...

Have you checked for exhaust leaks; even a small one can upset the 02. Don't ask me how I know.
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

Thanks John, you're right....I checked today and all looks/feels good as far as exhaust.

Still tracing....I forgot to add that PCV, CAT, Airbox valve, EGR(visual), o2 and evap all passed. I'm thinking it's the ECU.

Last three digits on mine are 556 ('89, 2.4LH with EGR) and a valid replacement would be either a 937, 967 or 954.

I think I should pull the fuel rail, injectors, throttle body and EGR for cleaning and/or replacement. I'll source and ECU this week and should get to working through it next weekend.

Have you pulled the codes again after your changes? Do you have a Bentley manual? It's the best manual for 240s, so if you don't have one you should get one, and if IIRC there are tests there for the ECU. You might want to check out http://www.k-jet.org/ or http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/ as they have good tech info.
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

High nox readings can be caused by a hot running engine. It can be caused by a lean running engine like one with vacuum leaks. What thermostat do you have in your engine? A 88C is stock but you can use a 82 which I've used for many years and easily pass emissions with. Check carefully for vacuum leaks. You can have sneaky ones like a bad intake manifold gasket. If you do replace the gasket I only use elring or genuine volvo. Reinz seem ok but any other brands have failed me in short order.
      Daily drive 1993 Classic wagon, 359k miles, 5spd, enem V15 and more.

Fun stuff 1982 242 turbo 322k miles with many upgrades to suspension, engine, driveline, and more.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements