Charging Failure Warning Oddity
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Charging Failure Warning Oddity

Wondering whether anyone here has gotten the red Charging Failure warning. The first time I saw this was after I had filled up at night and was leaving the gas station. I pulled over and stopped the engine. I then started it again and did not get the warning. About a month later it occurred again after visiting a different gas station. When I had to return for a check engine light recurring issue related to running lean (which was fixed by replacing the air mass sensor) I brought it up but the dealer could not find anything. Now it has happened again, right after leaving the gas station! I tired eliminating as possibilities all the tasks I perform when filling up (opening door, gas cap, reset mileage, etc.) but could not cause it. I am now thinking there may be an electrical discharge due to a grounding problem developing or caused by a service process such as replacing brakes.

Anyone ever see this our has an idea? The warning does not appear to get logged as the dealer did not find the event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This also happened to me and I didn't think twice about it. Within 2 weeks, I ended up having to get the car towed in for not starting. The alternator bushings were shredded, and in turn, delivered incorrect voltages that fried one cell of the battery. Go have your alternator looked at right away.
      2010 XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Polestar-tuned

Thanks for the info.
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I am resurrecting this thread as I finally got to the bottom of this problem, and it turns out there is even a Volvo Tech Bulletin on it. After some months I was able to reliably reproduce the charing failure alert by driving 20mins, letting it set for 5mins and restart it. By performing this just prior to driving it in for my 45K service, I was able to leave it on showing the service tech. The diagnosis was a bad tamper switch in the radiator that required the entire radiator be replaced. Why this causes the charging failure warning is anybody's guess but perhaps they ran out of warning slots In any case the code they found did correlate to the switch and the fix. I was initially skeptical, but in fact it has been fixed as I can no linger reproduce it. Reminds me of my 69 Triumph GT6+ that had a red brake waring light planted directly in front of the passenger's dash which was wired into the low oil pressure light. Every time I would brake for a stop both would flash! Thought such crossed wires were the sole prevue of Lucas Electric.

Great diagnostic work and thank you for sharing it with us! This forum needs more like it.
      You really need to replace the entire radiator because of a tamper switch?
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed
      2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJag View Post
      Great diagnostic work and thank you for sharing it with us! This forum needs more like it.
      You really need to replace the entire radiator because of a tamper switch?
      That was my feeling as well. However, when I investigated, it appears that this is there to insure a specific type of radiator is installed as part of the emissions system. Its possible that it is therefore bonded to the radiator for that purpose and thus cannot be replaced by itself. Needless to say I glad this happened under warranty if it was.

I'm dealing with an almost identical issue with my '06 S40, will check and see if it may be caused by a like issue.

In a side note, I also had a '69 GT6+, and had that

I am having same type of trouble. Anytime I drive 20 minutes or more, when I stop the car, and start it again, I get the charging failure lights. Car still runs ok though. At one point a year ago, the car wouldnt start, I just got soft clicking from the ignition. At that point I replaced the fuse relay between the starter and the battery. Then, after getting the error again, I changed out the battery. Still got the same problem. So eventually I got a new alternator. Still same problems showed up. All items replaced within the last year. This morning, it wouldnt start, same thing, just soft clicking from the starter. Hopefully dealership will figure it out. S80, 3.2L, 108k miles.

P3 models can have corrosion that gets inside the cables at battery terminals. Voltage reading with voltmeter lead on block and other on Neg post while starter is operated checks that cable. The same type test with one lead on cable connection at starter (down below engine) and the Pos post while starter is operated checks that cable. The voltage reading should be less than 0.3V DC with starter running. You operate starter by 12v jumpering to the 87 terminal connector in relay in engine fuse/relay box. The engine side rear relay is the starter (relay 12, AKA 2/35). There will be an initial higher volt reading but the continuous is the one you observe. If the voltage here is higher then the cable needs to be replaced or the cable cleaned and soldered to the exisiting terminal.
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements