1988 245 Brake Light Issue - FIXED!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1988 245 Brake Light Issue - FIXED!

Hey all.

I just fixed the cold starting issue on my wagon, and now another pops up. None of the brake lights work, including the middle one in the hatch window. I checked the fuse and replaced it even though it looked fine. I took a wire of the Brake light switch and touched it to the other wire, with no results. I have power at the fuse, and through the switch, but nothing at the sockets. All other lights are working fine, and the warning light in the dash does not come, as it usually does when there is a bad bulb.

Edit: For whatever it's worth, the temperature here has been unusually cold(getting down into the teens at night). Does temperature have any thing to do with wiring/connections/switches/etc?

If it could be a bad ground, are there any key places to check?

Any advice, tip, help is appreciated.

Thanks

Roger
      Last edited by RM_deactivated; 02-08-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: more information

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Could be the bulb fail relay..Large red cylinder type relay located under the steering column area. You may have to remove the knee bolster to get to it. It's held on by a metal ring, you can reach up there and just pull it to the side without much fuss. If you've confirmed you've got power to the brake light switch and still no power to the brake lights (both can be checked with a test light) then it's likely the bulb fail relay.

#6 in the picture
      http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=238445
      Last edited by ImportService; 02-07-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Test the fuse and the switch with a multimeter to make sure they are both getting power. Check the wires going to the fuse for loose connections. If the fuse has power, but the switch does not, it's a short run of wire from the fuse panel to the switch, so check it for faults. Green-Red wire goes from the fuse to the switch, Blue-Red from the switch to the bulb failure sensor.

Check that the bulb failure sensor isn't loose in the connector.

The Yellow and Yellow-Grey wires from the sensor go to the tail lights. If everything up to now had power, but these two wires do not, it may be a faulty failure sensor.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for the reply, Importservice

Quick question regarding the bulb failure relay: If the relay was faulty, wouldn't it cause other lights not to work also?

Jthibo, thanks for the reply

I've checked all points with a test light. The switch works fine and there's power through the fuse, but nothing at the back of the car. Tail lights and turn signals all work fine though.

EDIT: It's dark now, but tomorrow I'll test the yellow and yellow grey wires at the bulb failure sensor. Thanks much

Roger
      Last edited by RM_deactivated; 02-07-2014 at 08:49 PM.

1988 245 Brake Light Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
      Does temperature have any thing to do with wiring/connections/switches/etc?
      Currently it's -10°C (14°F) here. Colder temperatures can cause condensation and corrode contacts faster than normal.

If it could be a bad ground, are there any key places to check?
      The tail light assemblies should all be grounded separately at the rear of the car close to where they are mounted.

Quick question regarding the bulb failure relay: If the relay was faulty, wouldn't it cause other lights not to work also?
      Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on how or where it fails. Could be a corroded contact inside the unit.

The first dry warm day in June check all the wiring under both hatch hinges.

George Dill

Quote Originally Posted by jthibo View Post

The Yellow and Yellow-Grey wires from the sensor go to the tail lights. If everything up to now had power, but these two wires do not, it may be a faulty failure sensor.
      I used a test light on those two wires(with the brake pedal depressed), and There is no power. I called a couple local auto parts stores, and they do not carry this item. I'm getting on the phone to a local wrecking yard, but I'd like to find a new part(locally preffered) asap.

Thanks for helping me everyone.

If you are the adventurous type, and like fixing little fiddly bits, you could try removing the sensor and pulling it apart to look for any signs of malfunction.

Found a post discussing the sensor, with an image showing the case removed:

http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...d.php?t=240085

If you do end up fixing it, and still want to replace it with a new one, at least you'll have an emergency spare for the future.

I just returned from a semi local pick-n-pull auto recycler. They had a 1992 244 that had the sensor. I paid $5 for it along with a little blood(a lot of sharp stuff under those dashes. Anyhow, problem solved!

Jthibo, thanks for the link. I just pulled the casing off the old sensor, and it smells burned. I might mess with it at some point so I have a spare.

Thank you again, everyone. This forum is the best!

I just returned from a semi local pick-n-pull auto recycler. They had a 1992 244 that had the sensor. I paid $5 for it along with a little blood(a lot of sharp stuff under those dashes. Anyhow, problem solved!
      That's great news!

Wish we had these 'pick-n-pull's around here. The largest junk yard in town stopped letting people into the yard a few years back. Insurance reasons. And on top of that, they claim they have no 240s! Pretty sad considering they were assembled in town here for 11 years.

I think it's sentimentality. People rather let these cars slowly turn into garden sheds in their backyard, than abandon them to a wrecker.

If the sensor isn't the problem you may be looking at a rear harness problems. Did the rear left and right side lights fail at the same time or at different times?
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

Quote Originally Posted by John2x240 View Post
      If the sensor isn't the problem you may be looking at a rear harness problems. Did the rear left and right side lights fail at the same time or at different times?
      All three brake lights stopped working at the same time. As George mentioned above, I will check the harness when the weather gets better.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements