leaking windshield washer fluid reservoir
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

leaking windshield washer fluid reservoir

It appears that the windshield washer fluid reservoir of my 2007 C70 has a major leak.

(Before I go further - I posted this in the C70 forum, but I'm also posting it here as well, because the windshield washer fluid reservoir is presumably the same arrangement as on S40 and C30 models, and perhaps other FWD models as well.)

It looked like it was out of fluid, so I was pouring in new fluid, and it seemed to fill to the top, at first. In fact, I overflowed it a bit, so at first I assumed that the dripping underneath was just the overflow. But it kept dripping, and before long (just a couple of minutes) the puddle was basically everything that I had poured in, and the reservoir seemed empty again.

On this model, the actual reservoir is completely hidden, basically underneath the driver-side headlamp assembly, and in front of the driver-side front-wheel.

I am guessing that a hose came off, or perhaps split, as it seems unlikely that the reservoir itself sprang a leak. (The pump seems to be working.) The dripping seems to be coming from the reservoir area, in any case.

Has anyone had reason to access the reservoir, and can therefore advise on what pieces to remove to get at it? It seems to me that removing the trim piece underneath the front end is the likely best route, although perhaps I can get at it from the wheel wheel, by removing or peeling back the trim piece at the front side of the wheel well.

I also thought about removing the headlamp assembly (which I've done before to replace headlamp bulbs), but I can't remember if this exposes the washer fluid reservoir. (Actually, my headlamp bulb replacement wasn't that long ago, so I'm also wondering if somehow I dislodged a washer fluid line in the process....)

In any case, it seems like a weird problem. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are you sure it all leaked out? On my S40 the neck and the bottle are two pieces, and the fluid will empty to the level where neck meets bottle if filled to the top.

k22 - I THINK it all leaked out, both from the volume of washer fluid on the floor, as well as the fact that when I try the washers, I hear the pump making noise, but no fluid comes out. (My car also has little pop-up headlight misters, and after a few tries these ran out of fluid, too, as the separate lines ran dry.)

I'm in the middle of a home-improvement project at the moment, and so won't get a chance to take a good look at things for a couple of weeks. (Apparently the reservoir is accesses by removing the under-carriage plastic cover.)

If this is like most other modern Volvos I have seen, you need to remove the front bumper at the very least. This isn't actually all that hard to do as long as you know where all the clips are but it's pretty easy to find them via trial and error. Maybe have a 2nd person help just so you don't drop or bend the bumper too much. It's really light but a big awkward shape, obviously.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements