SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread

232K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  Antherzoll 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Not much of an introduction, but I'm Anthony and this is my XC70 build thread. Purchased in December 2012 with only 61k mi, now at October 2019 it's just over 145k mi and still going strong. Just pretty much doing my own thing and having fun with it as I go along. I've recently updated this thread with links to modification, trips, and repairs, but feel free to message me with any questions.

Enjoy!

Engine/Transmission Performance Upgrades:

Suspension/Drivetrain:
XC90 control arms
XC90 spindle/w hub & ball joints
XC90 2.5t front left/right axles

Utility:

Trips/Adventures:

Major Repairs:

01-28-2015 - Steering Rack/Bushings/Spring Seats/IPD Swaybar Install

12-13-2015 - Haldex pump replaced/fluid service
01-20-2016 - Valvebody replaced
04-24-2016 - Angle gear seals/collar sleeve
03-26-2017 - Exhaust manifold gasket/Turbo turbine housing replacement

08-15-2018 - Throttle body failure

01-26-2019 - Bent rear toe arm and wheel

04-02-2020 - Upper Engine Wiring Harness

[

See less See more
#264 ·
Took some to to fix up the thermostat mounting and hose routing.

The Final Product

Thermostat is mounted firmly in place using an 4-11/16 electrical box cover, 1/4" 20 bolts to mount the thermostat, and self drilling screws in the frame. All hoses and the thermostat clear the splash guard very nicely.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

#267 ·
So handy to have a picture reference to do mine.

How did you mount the thermostat to the plate? Did yours come with some kind of mounting holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#277 ·
What I plan to run in the system.

Turbo Power -40*C Windsheild Washer Fluid
http://www.recochem.com/products/turbo_power_washer_fluid/windshield_washer_40c

-40*C is at least 43% methanol by weight, costs less than $3CDN a gallon at HD, and really, "Turbo Power", it's in the name [emoji16].

I can't get a direct reference to, but the manufacturer, Recochem, also produces Turbo Power Deionized Water so I assume that is used in solution and would be safe to inject ?

#278 · (Edited)
Got the new pump and tested it!

👍

Pump locations. The manual states to install it in an area that will not come into direct contact with water/mud/debris. Thinking if I cut away a bit of the splash guard in this location, with some added protection it should be fine.

But I'll save the install for another day, too damn hot to work on cars today.

#279 · (Edited)
Went on a canoe trip about 2 weeks ago and drove the XC down a really rough access trail, mainly an uneven dirt road for 30km with some really rough spots. Had to drive down the road 4 times which put a lot of stress on the vehicle. When I got out and on to the roads the XC had a new clunk and some squeaks. The squeaks were easily resolved as it was just some heatsheilds, swaybar bushings, and one radiator mount. The knocking is coming from a front end link.

This would be the second front link to go in the past 25k mi of having IPD swaybars. First set of front end links was an IPD HD installed with the bars (replaced both fronts), second set is Myley HD. I also suspect the rears have started clunking, but I have not thoroughly inspected them.

I've ordered a full set of Moog endlinks through rockauto

Off the bat, what I like. Wrench flats, grease zerks, and larger diameter rod. They come pre-greased with what seems like plain blue grease. Will pump in some moly grease before install. Hopefully "The Problem Solver" hold up to it's name.

Food for thought
Because of the increased ride height (higher center of gravity) of the XC, rigid swaybars, rough roads/hard corners, and the fact that I have my XC quite loaded most of the time puts a lot of stress on the ball joints. Unsure if my constant premature failures is caused by excessive stress or just poor quality.

#280 ·
Do you have part numbers for the endlinks? They look pretty beefed up.

#283 ·
Thanks! I looked them up on Rock Auto and some of the pics were different than the one's you got. The zerks were also not installed on the part in the pics. After searching the part numbers elsewhere they all had those same pics. Weird. I'll probably get these when my IPDs eventually crap out.

#282 ·
Replaced the fronts tonight, here's the comparison

12.7mm vs 10.1mm

Only replaced the fronts tonight. Upon removal of the old endlinks I noticed the swaybar bushings had a bit of slop, they were tight when I lubed them a week ago. I was able to tighten them up by inserting a shim between the subframe and the bushing and now they grasp the bar firmly. No more clunks, she's all quiet. I'll be ordering a set of replacement bushing, front and rear, to have on hand, but for now I feel this is ok.

Spent the rest of the time working on the rear wheel wells to provide clearance for my winter/trail tires. I've placed an order for Kumho Road Venture AT51 in 235/65R17 (stock XC90 size) which should be arriving tomorrow. I've been using a used set of XC90 tires to check clearance and I feel like I will have enough. More information here:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?232815-17-quot-Tire-Options

#295 ·
With bigger teeth or just xc90 wheels? They look great on there. Any rings needed? The green looks so silver like!

#285 ·
Just discovered this build. Looking forward to reading through it and also seeing any new updates. Thumbs up so far!

#286 ·
You picked a good one. Easily one of the best things going in P2 wagon world.

#287 · (Edited)
Progress! ?

Reused the IPD TCV as a failsafe.

If active, it will bypass the primary TCV straight to wastegate which will only allow the turbo to build base pressure of 4.5psi.

I messed up with tap and sensor locations on the reservoir and now it's swiss cheese. Instead of patching it I have ordered a new one which will arrive next week. I'll be able to complete the install then.

#292 ·
Awesome. Breathing that raRified air now.

#293 · (Edited)
Hahaha, Yes.

I honestly don't expect much of a difference between the R box and the AEM Cone filter, but the larger R MAF may increase air flow at the top end. I do like how the R box looks stock compared to the cone filter which screams "modified".

👍 To Hilton Tuning for provided a new tune for the R MAF.

After a quick flash she's running beautifully.
(yes my car is filthy)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#297 ·
I do like how the R box looks stock compared to the cone filter which screams "modified".
Feel bad for that poor sucker getting your old intake.