SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread

232K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  Antherzoll 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Not much of an introduction, but I'm Anthony and this is my XC70 build thread. Purchased in December 2012 with only 61k mi, now at October 2019 it's just over 145k mi and still going strong. Just pretty much doing my own thing and having fun with it as I go along. I've recently updated this thread with links to modification, trips, and repairs, but feel free to message me with any questions.

Enjoy!

Engine/Transmission Performance Upgrades:

Suspension/Drivetrain:
XC90 control arms
XC90 spindle/w hub & ball joints
XC90 2.5t front left/right axles

Utility:

Trips/Adventures:

Major Repairs:

01-28-2015 - Steering Rack/Bushings/Spring Seats/IPD Swaybar Install

12-13-2015 - Haldex pump replaced/fluid service
01-20-2016 - Valvebody replaced
04-24-2016 - Angle gear seals/collar sleeve
03-26-2017 - Exhaust manifold gasket/Turbo turbine housing replacement

08-15-2018 - Throttle body failure

01-26-2019 - Bent rear toe arm and wheel

04-02-2020 - Upper Engine Wiring Harness

[

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
The control arm ones take that dead spot on the steering wheel away. Such crisp steering response.

Interesting article but a bit too theoretical. Real world experience with my bushings have been 95% positive (sway bar bushing gave out last year).

#19 ·
So I've recently flashed the ECU with a Stage 3 Hilton Tune and all I can say for now is the engine starts :p, haven't had any time to take it out for a run yet and might be some time until I can...
What does the Hilton Stg3 tune involve?

#20 · (Edited)
Requirements:
Down Pipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC), Larger Than Stock (Typically Hybrid) Turbo, Upgraded Injectors, Upgraded MAF
Additional Requirements:
Stock TCV or upgraded Pierburg valve. (Note: A MAC control valve or equivalent is not compatible with this product. If you are using one of these valves, ensure it is replaced with a Pierburg unit prior to tuning.)

Recommended:
Methanol Injection
http://hiltontuning.com/product/stage-3-tune/

My current setup consists of:
TD04HL-16t w/7cm^2 ex. housing‎, 11 blade compressor & turbine wheels
3" Downpipe w/high flow race cat.
EST Catback
Upgraded stock mount intercooler
Blue Injectors
IPD full line of intake and charge air piping
Manifold & Throttle body spacers
6"x8" Dry flow cone filter.

I haven't started data logging yet, so I may need more parts, but my current set up has most of the requirements except for the FMIC, mine is a upgraded stock mount intercooler. If I have problems with IATs (which I haven't so far), then I may sell this unit and go for the FMIC.

Also my "larger then stock" turbo isn't that much larger, it is a TD04HL-16T, there are other who have larger turbos on similar builds. If I want more some day I'll go for the 19T, or even 20T conversion. Gotta leave some room for upgrades :)

#21 ·
NICE! I'm still trying to learn these Volvo Turbos and what is what and what is equal to what power ratio.
16t? No clue. I don't even know what turbo is on my car :( 2002 V70T5. But its Autoi so I don't see me going nuts with Power adders. Possible a one up - upgraded turbo. TD04HL is a MHI turbo. I do have a MHI TD05H-20g siting in a box. I don't think my Auto V70 would handle that too well if I was to find a way to make it fit/work on the Volvo platform. I had it on my BTA4Avant.
I'm going to look into the stg2 tune by Hilton.

#27 · (Edited)
So I thought I'd post up some early experiences with the current Hilton Tune. I've not gone for any power runs as I'm waiting on a fresh fill with 94, but it does run well so far. Also with the tune the idle limit has been bumped up to 750-800rpm :thumbup: which feels more stable and less vibration with the poly mounts.

#28 ·
so this 20g I have sitting in a box should work? Just would need to find the right exhaust housing for the Volvo manifold. It was set up for the t25 flanged audi manifold.

#29 ·
Anything is possible, but first I'd contact a tuner to see if they can tune that turbo with your setup, but I don't see the 20G posing a problem other then the one dougy has stated.

Also I've posted some information on you question thread pertaining to you motor and possible other sites you can mine for information. Good luck with modifying your Volvo and keep us posted on your progress.

#30 ·
thanks I was just posting on my thread! LOL

his 20g setup is NICE! More work than I'm willing to do right now. But was a good read, and he did some awesome work.
Looking for bolt and go type mods for now. The Audi is PLENTY fast with its built motor and the big Comp Tubo on it.

#31 · (Edited)
Yay...

So I've got my car at my trusty Volvo indie to get:
- The steering rack replaced along with the lower steering U-joint (the U-joint is more of a why not)
- Front and rear control arm bushing replaced
- Spring seats replaced
- IPD Sway bars installed along with IPD end links

It's unfortunate that my steering rack needs to be replaced, it's the last thing I thought would go on this vehicle so soon. I wasn't leaking, the bushing on the PS side of the rack had worn and was causing a vibration.

Normally I'd like to take a job like this on myself, but I cannot do this on jack stands at this time of year, and my mechanic friend with a hoist is swamped so I can't book the time with him.

Angle gear is fine, oil had migrated from another location from the previous oil change.

Oh well, at least while the subframe is down it's a great time to get the swaybars installed. Everything else looks in great shape, and the shocks are still working properly, so hopefully this is the last service I need to do that is suspension/steering related for some time.

#32 ·
Yay...

It's unfortunate that my steering rack needs to be replaced, it's the last thing I thought would go on this vehicle so soon. I wasn't leaking, the bushing on the PS side of the rack had worn due to a tear in the boot that was letting in dirt and water. It started off as a slight knocking, then turned into a vibration. Can't believe I missed that...

Normally I'd like to take a job like this on myself, but I cannot do this on jack stands at this time of year, and my mechanic friend with a hoist is swamped so I can't book the time with him.
Seems like the steering rack is one of the first things to fail on high mileage XC70s. I had to replace mine on the 2001 when I had it. My dad's 04 needed a new one at 105K as well. Half the XC70s I looked at when I was car shopping last year had steering issues (although it's possible it was other things causing it too).

#35 · (Edited)
Got the car back tonight and drove it around a bit. Wasn't able to get a real feel for the sway bars due to the slick roads (which was a lot of fun getting the tail out :)), but it there is definitely less body roll and tighter steering, love to see how these handle on dry pavement.

The steering rack was it!!! The knocking and vibrating i've been chasing around for some time has been eliminated, WOW! The new steering rack feels great, nice and tight, and with the addition of the sway bars very responsive.

I've got to say thanks to Wayne at KWL automotive for doing an awesome job getting the job done right and on time! He said that this is the first time he has installed IPD swaybars and commented on the fact that the rear was a real pain, the front was made easy because the rack was being replace st the same time but looked to be easier then the rear regardless. He said it took him a bit more time then what was quoted on the IPD paper work and didn't charge me for it, but if he had to do it agian he knows his way around and can do it faster.

Anyways, I still haven't had the time to get my Hilton Tune dialed-in, work/life thing. Will update on more on the tune and on the swaybars once I get more time...

#36 · (Edited)
So had the sway bars installed and wow, what a difference! This is the most noticeable upgrade to the XC so far because you feel it in every turn. Knowing what I know now I should have installed IPD swaybars as the first upgrade to my XC, it doesn't handel like a yacht anymore and ride comfort is maintained. Lane changes, on ramps, and drifting in snow feels more connected. I highly recommend these to anyone considering an upgrade to their suspension.

IPD Swaybars... DO IT! :cool:

#37 ·
So had the sway bars installed and wow, what a difference! I'd have to say that this is the most noticeable upgrade to the XC so far because you feel it in every turn. Knowing what I know now I should have installed IPD swaybars when I bought my XC, it doesn't handel like a yacht anymore and the ride comfort is maintained. Lane changes, on ramps, and drifting in snow all feels more connected. I'd have to say I highly recommend these to anyone considering a upgrade to their suspension.

IPD Swaybars... DO IT! :cool:
that's a purchase I am working towards also. boy does the car feel like a boat. Some new springs, shock/struts and sways all at once! should feel like a new car

#40 ·
yep , I feel exactly the same , it looks like with the colder weather the flexibility of polyurethane decreases a little bit.

#41 · (Edited)
I've just finished a 5 week, 10.5k KM, cross county road trip with the XC and it had performed very well.

Photos 1

Photos 2

With the trailer, luggage, and occupants, the XC was hauling around 2000lbs, fuel economy was averaging around 19-20mpg as calculate via the gas station method.

With the engine modification and Hilton Tune the XC had more than enough power to get up to speed from a stop, keep up with the 80mph speed limit in some states, and pull along the extended hill climbs though the mountains, plenty of time on boost and I'm not shy on the throttle. Hilton has done an awesome job tuning this vehicle, my engine is still running great, my transmission didn't quit, and my AG didn't explode.

There was a slight tune adjustment needed due to the additional load being placed onto the engine that didn't show with regular driving, low RPM high load hill climbs would cause overboost. I notified Hilton and he responded with revision almost instantly, [thumbup] for service. (of course, I didn't leave home without my VIDA/DiCE laptop so I was able to flash it on the fly :D).

No hardware related issues other than I had a downpipe nut back off and caused a slight exhaust leak, and one of my new IPD HD swaybar endlinks developed a knocking with less than 5k miles on them, I'll be getting a refund on the endlinks.

Stupid me, when tightening down the downpipe nut I snapped the stud, but I was able to tighten the other two nuts and they are holding the flange on tight so no leaks. Now I need to extract it from the turbine housing and will be replacing with bolts instead.

#42 · (Edited)
If anyone is interested, here is the accumulated brake dust on my front drivers side wheel after this trip.

Using Hawk HPS Semi-metallic pads on 12" Slotted Stop Tech rotors. Didn't wash my vehicle once on the whole trip and rain was quite minimal. I did use engine braking in the big hills, which may have reduced the amount of dust. The brakes performed well on downhills and a few hard stops with the additional load. A bit noisy when wet, but dissipated once hot, otherwise they are very quiet.

#44 ·
Nice sounding and looks quick.
It also seems that your collar gear is not going to last very long if you keep driving it this way! :rolleyes: :eek: