Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread - Page 14
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Legtayor View Post
      Geez this Legtaylor guy sounds interesting...

Was good to meet you, loved seeing your machine and all the stuff under the hood. Particularly loved your water/meth injection system... I'll keep it a secret. Did you take your XC bombing through the ditch on those grids? That's the true Saskatchewan way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
      Ha, edited...autocorrect why?!?

Nah, just cept to the road which was quite loose on my summer tires. Didn't want to get it into trouble anywhere off of the main roads cause that would be a looooong walk for help.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Oh nice! Awesome pics!
      thanks! we finally got back from out small road trip to badlands, devils tower and GNP.

2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - Electric Silver - Muffler/Resonator Delete
      2007 XC70 - Ice White - Stage I Shark Tune - Muffler Delete

It has taken me a few days but I'm finally home. We took our time camping at a few Provincial Parks along the way from Winnipeg to Toronto.

Arron Provincial Park

Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park

Rainbow Falls Rossport Campground

Pancake Bay Provincial Park

...did the last 8.5h leg home in one shot.

The drive along the north shore of Lake Superior is beautiful, twisty costal roads, amazing views, and it can be quite mountainous in sections. I love this drive every time!

...home sweet home

Some trip stats for you all.
      Distance Traveled: 5519mi 8830km
      Travel Time: 110h over 18days
      Average Fuel Economy: 16.2mpg
      Average Speed: 50mph
      Fuel: 340Gal or 1286L

Quite an epic trip, but it's not the most epic I've been on with the family. Some of you may recall the road trip we took In 2015, we did 7000mi in 5 weeks with the same setup. The XC seems to be handling the punishment well. I'm quite shocked that I haven't cooked the engine or broke the transmission yet... knock on wood.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 07-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Brilliant. Nicely done, the pics the write up, the lot. Welcome back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We've got a trip to Devon on Friday.

Over here we consider this "an epic trip" I think Shackleton took less stuff with him to the Antarctic.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Kudos to Family Antherzoll for a remarkable journey! It's been decades since I did anything (remotely) similar- but the memories of this great country will be with your children for life. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      We've got a trip to Devon on Friday.

Over here we consider this "an epic trip" I think Shackleton took less stuff with him to the Antarctic.
      HAHAHA.......I'm working with a girl from Ireland for the summer and she was having a hard time comprehending that I drove 900 miles to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina. Really is a different mindset. I see it sometimes in Rhode Island, too lol.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Green View Post
      Kudos to Family Antherzoll for a remarkable journey!
      Indeed. And with the kids I think some sort of medal is in order

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      HAHAHA.......I'm working with a girl from Ireland for the summer and she was having a hard time comprehending that I drove 900 miles to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina. Really is a different mindset.
      Not long after we were married the wife and I did Sheffield to Nice which is more or less 1000 miles door to door. I think the drive was the best bit of the holiday. The autoroutes du Soleil were something else.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      Not long after we were married the wife and I did Sheffield to Nice which is more or less 1000 miles door to door. I think the drive was the best bit of the holiday. The autoroutes du Soleil were something else.
      I've done 900 miles in one day. Granted not with kids. But driving wide open 80mph across the midwest, you can cover a lot of territory in a day.

Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread

I did Minneapolis to Toronto in one day in my S60. Must admit, last 100k/60miles were tough. 1500 km. About 17h. Loved the scenery and enjoyed the comforts of the seats and really good stereo.

Last edited by Oliovlov; 07-27-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zef_66 View Post
      I've done 900 miles in one day. Granted not with kids. But driving wide open 80mph across the Midwest, you can cover a lot of territory in a day.
      I've done that (Phila to So. Fl in one non stop shot) but not in over 20 years. Those last 4-5 hours is tough!!

Now, I can't drive much more than 30 minutes before I get some serious pain.
      My major driving days are over...

Heck, I drove from Phila to LA in 49 hours and I SLEPT for 8-9 hours about half way into the trip!
      Helps when you're 24 years old!
      Last edited by JRL; 07-27-2017 at 10:12 AM.
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by zef_66 View Post
      I've done 900 miles in one day. Granted not with kids. But driving wide open 80mph across the midwest, you can cover a lot of territory in a day.
      Yeah that really helps. I did 700 miles from Roanoke to Boston a couple weeks ago and that last hour home from Providence was tough. Man the time really adds up fast when you're spending most of your day at 55 mph because VA and NYC.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Helps when you're 24 years old!
      ...and Cocaine

Thanks for all the replys guys, finally got the trailer unpacked and parked, the XC has been relieved of it's burden. It's good to be home, but I'm already planning another trip, likely with the canoe this time.

Cheers!

...and Cocaine
      Eh, whatever!
      Actually the Phila to LA shot was more or less done straight, maybe a couple of joints on the lonely Rt. 66 out West back in the day. It was in a 912 Porsche Targa, groaning all the way when going up in altitude!
      At 4000 ft and I think it may have had all of 80 HP!

Those were the days you could drive for miles and not see another car going in either direction, the OLD West!
      Last edited by JRL; 07-27-2017 at 06:45 PM.
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Eh, whatever!
      Actually the Phila to LA shot was more or less done straight, maybe a couple of joints on the lonely Rt. 66 out West back in the day. It was in a 912 Porsche Targa, groaning all the way when going up in altitude!
      At 4000 ft and I think it may have had all of 80 HP!

Those were the days you could drive for miles and not see another car going in either direction, the OLD West!
      Holly crap JRL, are you on of the mystical immortals? How old are you? What do you mean there were no cars back then?

I did 920ish miles from Madison, WI to Northern NJ in one shot in 2015.

I left Madison at midnight Central time, and pulled in my driveway around 4pm the same day EDT.

I hit traffic in Chicago at around 2am, other than that it was 80mph on a straigh highway for the rest of the trip. I snoozed for about a half hour at a rest stop in Ohio just after sunrise.

I did it in a NA 2005 Subaru Legacy. Fully loaded, averaged 29.7 mpg. On the way out, I averaged 32.1 mpg. (Downhill coming out of the Appalachians vs uphill coming back is one thing I attribute it to.)

It was truly a feat, I slept for 14 hours straight afterwards. I miss doing trips over 6 hours. It's been awhile.
      2007 XC70 - Mine
      2014 S60 T5 AWD - Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Oliovlov View Post
      Holly crap JRL, are you on of the mystical immortals? How old are you? What do you mean there were no cars back then?
      In the 1960s you could be driving on Rt.66, last TX, literally for an hour before seeing another car!

Canoe camping with the family this weekend in the Halliburton Highlands. This is one of our favourite spots to camp as it is not too well known so the sites aren't overused. With a little boat in boat action and the vehicle loaded up we set off.

Access to the lake is down a logging road, nothing special but I pieced together a video leading out from the launch back to the main road that I will post below.

It was raining pretty hard for most of the weekend, but there were some nice breaks in between storms.

Got hit hard by a storm cloud on the way out.

...beats being at home
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-07-2017 at 02:06 AM.

Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread

Thanks for the tip on the campground
      Nice photos ... glad you didn't get that tornado as some others did.

Thanks for the tip on the campground
      Nice photos ... glad you didn't get that tornado as some others did.

I'm not telling you which lake or site

Tornado? Where? The sky definitely looked scary enough for one. We were camping amongst 30-40m white pines and at some point we heard one come crashing down.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-07-2017 at 09:24 AM.

The pic in the canoe in the pouring rain....... was an intense flashback to my childhood. My dad would have passionately approved of your travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 XC70 "Kurd" Nautic Blue Pearl
      past: 1998 V70 Base "Silver Turtle" Mystic Silver Metallic, 1998 V70 Base "Turtle" Emerald Green Metallic

I'm not telling you which lake or site

Tornado? Where? The sky definitely looked scary enough for one. We were camping amongst 30-40m white pines and at some point we heard one come crashing down.
      Challenge accepted! On the tornado, it was in Huntsville. Possibly two of them. Also a huge storm rolled through Perry Sound the same time you were up north.

Challenge accepted! On the tornado, it was in Huntsville. Possibly two of them. Also a huge storm rolled through Perry Sound the same time you were up north.

Damn!

Family owns a cottage around those parts, I've spent a lot of time in that area growing up camping, on the water, and on the trails in all seasons, Georgian Bay can throw up some crazy storms. We've been hit by some serious storms like white caps on big lakes and blowing over our tent in the middle of the night... not fun but all part of the adventure. I've been know to chance it with dodgy weather like this weekend cause it keeps the bugs and tourists away and too often the forecast is wrong and you end up with a decent weekend. Since we've had kids we generally keep away from big lakes and stick to flat water, paddle close to shore, and camp back in the woods for shelter, and are never too far from the car. We have bailed on a few weekends, and this weekend was almost one of them, but we were all set to go. Luckily we were quite a bit south from the major storms, a canoe and a tent is no match for a tornado . Scary stuff, will likely change the way I plan my weekends... or not
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-07-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Saddened that I am not as adventurous as you. My kids have been deprived! This was really nice to see and to read.
      I did 850 miles back in the late 80s to Daytona beach to see a friend who had moved to attend embry riddle and stay to work after. My friend and I left north of D.C. Here after work on a Friday evening and we drove through the night in under 10 hours. I'm amazed that we lived, didn't get a ticket and that we lived. Yes, I mention lived twice- at 430 in the morning I just couldn't keep my eyes open any more and slowly drifted into the median and then woke up. I pulled over at the next exit and had my friend wake up so he could finish the drive and we were one exit away...
      At one point when we were both awake- probably midnight, we were cruising around 90-95 or so (limit then was still 55) and we were passed by a trans am going north of 140. We were in shock as we had never seen it coming and it quickly disappeared... on the parallel side road to 95!
      Last edited by ZZZZZZZ; 08-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Damn!

Family owns a cottage around those parts, I've spent a lot of time in that area growing up camping, on the water, and on the trails in all seasons, Georgian Bay can throw up some crazy storms. We've been hit by some serious storms like white caps on big lakes and blowing over our tent in the middle of the night... not fun but all part of the adventure. I've been know to chance it with dodgy weather like this weekend cause it keeps the bugs and tourists away and too often the forecast is wrong and you end up with a decent weekend. Since we've had kids we generally keep away from big lakes and stick to flat water, paddle close to shore, and camp back in the woods for shelter, and are never too far from the car. We have bailed on a few weekends, and this weekend was almost one of them, but we were all set to go. Luckily we were quite a bit south from the major storms, a canoe and a tent is no match for a tornado . Scary stuff, will likely change the way I plan my weekends... or not
      I hear you. Once in Restoule, in a camp, had to sleep under the bed due to storm rolling through. Later in the am, heard that a early in the evening the same storm, tornado F1 picked up 3 fishermen from the bed and deposited them in the middle of the lake. Needless to say... .

Love the rain tho, specially in the tent.

Opened up and cleaned out the oil catch can today. ~8k mi since install (6k towing and trips) using Mobile 1 0w40 and while I'm not exactly shocked by how much has accumulated, I'm more surprised at the sludge and varnish that has coated the can and the steel wool.

If this is what collected in my catch can over 8k mi, how are the stock breather and drain ports looking? seems like the PCV is just prone to clogging, or is it that the catch can is placed away from the engine heat and is much cooler, what condensed inside the catch can would not collect in a system that was operating at engine temperature, hence why Volvo has a heated PCV.

Anyways, this can is spliced into the vent hose from the stock breather to the intake pipe which vents pre-turbo, the can is meant to condense and collect the oil vapour that the stock breather did not catch to keep it out of my turbo and induction hoses. I'm glad that I installed it.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-09-2017 at 08:19 PM.

I'm glad that I installed it.
      'Nuff said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

I am curious about exactly where you plumbed your catch can in, did you cut into the line going from the oil trap to the intake?

Quote Originally Posted by hootie6828 View Post
      I am curious about exactly where you plumbed your catch can in, did you cut into the line going from the oil trap to the intake?
      No, stock breather hose is fully intact. It is spliced between the the PCV vent hose and the PTC element close to the turbo using a 5/8" straight barb. Not my picture, but might give you a better idea.

Just want to say again. For the majority of the miles the engine was loaded and in boost while cruising (3-5psi average, plus hill climbs), meaning that the PCV gasses would be vented to the intake pipe instead of the manifold (in boost manifold has positive pressure). I'd guess with normal usage, when the manifold would have a vacuum at cruise, oil vapour vents directly into the intake manifold and not the intake pipe resulting in less accumulation in catch can.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-10-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Some fun in the puddles

Familiar landscape

Great thread man, read every word, and pleasantly surprised you like my backyard. I grew up in Toronto but settled in Peterborough, where else can you be in 5 lakes within 15 mins?

I used to own an 05 XC70 but it got stolen so we (wife and I) bought Subarus, but I missed the tank. So I bought an 06 and am curious about some of your mods. Will update on condition of wagon and priorities.

Great read and pragmatic mods inspire, thank you.

RC

Wife and I have contemplated a move to Peterborough "The Canoe Capitol of The World" for that very reason, cash out of Toronto and find a nice spot with a bit more land... and a garage, but where we are right now with our lives and kids it is much easier to live in the city and brave the 3-4h drive in traffic to get to our favourite lakes.

...one day.

Next trip we have planned is Kawartha Lakes for a few nights, we've been going there quite often as it has great access and the sites are nice.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-14-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Next trip we have planned is Kawartha Lakes for a few nights, we've been going there quite often as it has great access and the sites are nice.
      I've lived here 15 years and can't get enough of it, so much to paddle and explore. My boys are starting to "get it" so it's even more fun. If you need anything, let me know.

Btw, cashing out would not be a bad idea, as real estate is set to go through the roof once the 407 extension is opened. You can get a lot for $500K in rural Peterborough, the price of a condo in Toronto. Food for thought.

RC

Ohhhhh Nooooo!

I butchered up my IPD Throttle Inlet Pipe

I've relocated the BPS/IAT and the WMI nozzle so that the WMI nozzle now sprays 12" upstream of the IAT. Intercooler outlet temp are not that high on normal runs, but on sustained boost while towing/hauling I have noticed the affects of heat soak, or at least the IAT is registering heatsoak and WMI downstream is able to keep the temps down. Will take some logs when I get the VIDA/DiCE plugged in with and without the WMI for a comparison.

Also, noticed that the nozzle was partially clogged with what looked like an oil/watermix, thinking this is caused by accumulation from oil in the intake pipes. Nothing too serious and was easy to clean, but I should inspect the nozzle more often.

Canoe, family, and adventure in the Kawartha Highlands this past weekend.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast