Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread - Page 15
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
      Beautiful shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Ohhhhh Nooooo!

I butchered up my IPD Throttle Inlet Pipe

Wasn't too happy with the way the WMI pipe/bung was setup, and I damged the pipe because I didn't have good hose clamps which caused a boost leak, so I fixed it up with a new pipe and bung, and with proper T-bolt clamps.

2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The Weekend Warrior

"Adventure Protection"

Got under the XC today to check out a few things. Had a rattle that was coming from a loose brake line, retrieved a 13mm I lost months ago, and noticed a bit of oil collecting on the skid plate that looks like it's the turbo oil drain leaking...again , just going to ignore that for now. Also noticed that the engine and transmission has been making some contact with the skid plate.

There's no contact when it's on the ground, must be from hard use such as puddle jumping. Just bent down the tabs a bit and reinstalled the plate.

Or the lower mount is failing
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Or the lower mount is failing
      Could be, didn't inspect it but it has 30k on it and I have a poly small bushing I could swap in. Replaced the upper mount less than 10k ago.

Nothing too exciting recently.

Had a rear rotor "warp" which caused an annoying vibration at high speed braking. Replaced both with centric high carbon rotors and that fixed the issue.

Also, since the temps have dropped the XC has been having a harder time starting. Left the wife stranded with the kiddos, and I had to jump it before work this morning... Installed an H8 battery today. I shouldn't have any more problems .

Last edited by Antherzoll; 10-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Got some goodies from the pickers.

$66.67 for amp, HU-850, center channel, harness, and a pop-up cup holder (which I'll swap out for the pocket). The interior does not match mine so I did not get the door cards and speakers.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-23-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Nice score. My mom wants me to do upgrade her audio too.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Nice!
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Question, in didn't pull out the whole length of the two wire connector going to the amp, I just cut the longest length I could with the intention of running my own wire (too much work, not enough time to get it out, and the driver's door wouldn't open). Is this two wire connector already pre-wired in the vehicle for the amp? If not, anyone know where the other end terminates.

Thanks!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Question, in didn't pull out the whole length of the two wire connector going to the amp, I just cut the longest length I could with the intention of running my own wire (too much work, not enough time to get it out, and the driver's door wouldn't open). Is this two wire connector already pre-wired in the vehicle for the amp? If not, anyone know where the other end terminates.

Thanks!

It should be pre-wired. Even my NA had it.
      2002 V70 T5a 194k RTI/Hilton Stage 1/336mm brakes/Bilstein B8s/H&R springs
      2002 V70 NA 278k HU-803/T5 suspension/305mm brakes
      2003 V70 T5m 251k Hilton Stage 2/Delrin subframe bushings/R front sway bar/R manifold/Jetex catback/Re-Volv DP/Simota CCI
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design 69k IPD RSB

Yup. Itís prewired. My 01 was prewired. Only 2.4t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sweet! Thanks guys!

Sweet! Thanks guys!

If the car didnít have a centre channel and upgraded stereo it may need dealer intervention.

I've read that if the the HU came from the same MY than it's possibly a direct swap... We'll see. If it doesn't work, I still got an amp and I'll sell the HU

I may go back and pick the speakers out of it next time I'm around, I really just ran out of time to mess around with it.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-23-2017 at 10:06 PM.

I've read that if the the HU came from the same MY than it's possibly a direct swap... We'll see. If it doesn't work, I still got an amp and I'll sell the HU

I may go back and pick the speakers out of it next time I'm around, I really just ran out of time to mess around with it.
      Could be. Iíll be going there tomorrow. Did you happen to see if the headlight were HID. My XC started winking randomly at people .

Now that I know Iíll remove all the speakers and. Sell them to you for $1,000,000.00 !

Quote Originally Posted by Oliovlov View Post
      Could be. Iíll be going there tomorrow. Did you happen to see if the headlight were HID. My XC started winking randomly at people .

Now that I know Iíll remove all the speakers and. Sell them to you for $1,000,000.00 !

Hahaha! They are halogen and only one.

Ahhh you bastard! Good luck opening the drivers door! Most of the engine bits are stripped and the interior is a mess.

I may be in the Hammer tomorrow and may go back to check it out. What time are you going? Shoot me a PM.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-24-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Hahaha! They are halogen and only one.

Ahhh you bastard! Good luck opening the drivers door! Most of the engine bits are stripped and the interior is a mess.

I may be in the Hammer tomorrow and may go back to check it out. What time are you going? Shoot me a PM.
      Most likely first thing am. Iím on my own in the am.

Well, here's a reason why there's a heated PCV system...

Mmm...oil/ice slushy in the hoses going to my external catch can. Good thing I caught it when I did and it didn't blow a seal. I have the catch can placed behind the driver's side headlight, I'll have to relocate it somewhere closer to the engine to keep it from freezing up again.

Last edited by Antherzoll; 12-31-2017 at 04:50 PM.

An annoying front end knock had developed some time around September that, after some minor testing, I assumed was the endlinks as this XC has already eaten 3 sets of them since installing the IPD sway bars (I'm sure my driving habbits have a lot to do with that...). Anyway, ordered a new set of endlinks, this time using billr99's recommendation of purchasing front endlinks for a 2000 Concorde as they have the same dimensions. Below is a pic comparing the MOOG K80501 vs Mevotech MK7342

Both have grease zerks, both have wrench flats, the boots are a bit different (seems like the Mevotech has bigger joints?), but one major difference is the threads on the ball joints. The MOOG had a smaller and larger (18mm & 15mm nut) thread vs Mevotech are both the same (18mm). With the MOOGs I had the smaller thread installed at the bar (lower), which was quite a bit smaller than the ID of the bar mount. Over time this became loose and cause a bit of clunking which eventually wallered out the hole a bit.

So today I swapped in the Mevotechs after pumping them full if moly and I'm much happier with how they fit within the mount, they look great and the joints feel like quality. Took it out for a test drive and... the clunking is still there, just not as violent. So, I get it back up, checked out the bar and noticed that the bushings are also shot... I replace them less than a year ago for **** sakes and made sure they were greased... IPD bushings. I jammed a shim under both bushings, greased them, and that has stopped the clunking for now. I have another set of bushings on order from MOOG for 25mm bars, but that will have to wait for a spring install.

Edit:
      Mevotech endlinks were junk not to long after install. Purchased another set sized for the 2000 Concorde but MOOG Problem Solvers and they have been working well.

Last edited by Antherzoll; 05-06-2018 at 06:38 PM.

I used the Mevotech Supreme end links on my old car. Very happy with them. Much beefier than the OEM (and greaseable).
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

Kids can be so hard on a car sometimes...

But hey, that's the price I pay for trying to entertain two preschoolers while traveling 1400km in 2 days. She cleans up nicely.

]

Much Better!

While cleaning it up I tripped a passenger air bag fault by accidentally pulling out the connector under the seat. Was able to reset the codes with VIDA, but I noticed that there are two hard faults that remain for the AUM.

I have swapped in a HU-850 and amp from a 2005 XC. As far as I can tell everything works as it should. My thoughts, I'm running the system using the original 4x 4ohm 25w door speakers, the system is designed for 4x 8ohm 75w speakers. Thinking this could be throwing up a fault code. While I'm not worried about it, and I will eventually swap in the door speakers. I'm open to thoughts or ideas on these codes.

Also, getting a whine on cold starts or warm starts after sitting for 30mins. Haven't had the time to dig into this as it is gross outside, but it sounds like it coming from under the vehicle somewhere around the passengers' side fog light/oil filter/accessory belt area. I can't really hear it from inside the engine bay and the sound doesn't change with RPM or with turning the wheel. The noise doesn't start immediately, kind of like ~30secs after start then goes away once fully warm. Sometimes the radiator fan will come on when cold. I'm leaning towards something with the AC system.

Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-21-2018 at 05:00 PM.

How do you clear the codes with Vida?

Is there an option within those tabs displayed?

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
      How do you clear the codes with Vida?

Is there an option within those tabs displayed?
      DIAGNOSTICS>FAULT TRACE>DELIVERY

Scroll to bottom and there are options:
      ERASE ALL, READ ALL, ERASE (selected module).

Also, getting a whine on cold starts or warm starts after sitting for 30mins. Haven't had the time to dig into this as it is gross outside, but it sounds like it coming from under the vehicle somewhere around the passengers' side fog light/oil filter/accessory belt area. I can't really hear it from inside the engine bay and the sound doesn't change with RPM or with turning the wheel. The noise doesn't start immediately, kind of like ~30secs after start then goes away once fully warm. Sometimes the radiator fan will come on when cold. I'm leaning towards something with the AC system.

Yeah, why couldn't it be easy and just be the PS pump? And why can't the AC compressor just come out the bottom? We should have a TV show on "P2 Mysteries"

For your sake, I hope it's something simple and not the compressor. It's like digging for buried treasure. I did it in the wagon, replaced the dead one with a Nissens unit. And had the misfortune of them shipping the wrong O-rings with it. Ugh.
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP. - "Elin"
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold) - "HŚkan"

DIAGNOSTICS>FAULT TRACE>DELIVERY

Scroll to bottom and there are options:
      ERASE ALL, READ ALL, ERASE (selected module).

Thanks. VIDA isn't that intuitive lol

Think I figured out that noise, it's coming from the oil filter housing bypass valve. So with 7.8k mi on the fill I changed the oil tonight.. A bit late I know . First cold start on the fresh fill and the noise is completely gone. Previous fill was Valvoline Synpower 5w40 with a Valvoline VO66 filter done at The Great Canadian Oil Change in Regina SK during the summer. Currently using a mix of 5L Castrol Edge 5w40 and the rest Motomaster Formula 1 5w40 (it's what I have on hand) with a Mahle filter.

Not to sure what to think about the filter being clogged up like that, like 7.8k mi is outside of what I normally change the oil, thought I could stretch it because of Valvoline Synpower, but it seems like the filter wasn't up to the task. Just to note, 3k mi of that previous fill would have been towing a trailer, the rest would have been city life and other adventures. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the engine, but for my usage I should definitely be changing the oil more often and using a better filter than the Valvoline VO66.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-25-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Hooray for cheap fixes to noisy problems!
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP. - "Elin"
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold) - "HŚkan"

Changed out the sway bar bushings today after a year or 25k mi of use as the IPD bushings were well worn and had no grease at all, this caused the most annoying knocking over any and all road imperfections, not too impressed with their durability. I purchased 2 set of bushings as I was unsure which one would work. One set of MOOG 25mm (left) bushings and Energy Suspension 24mm bushings (right).

I installed the MOOG bushings first, but the bushings place the bar too low causing it to rub against the fuel line. The energy suspension bushings mounted the bar high enough, but there is no adjustment on the mounts to slide the bar back so the sway bar end link contacts the control arm. Not a big issue, just cut off a few threads on the endlink to provide more clearance. The 24mm bushings grasp the bar firmly and fit quite nicely. The grease zerks are a great feature and will make servicing the bushings in the future a breeze. The reason I went with 24mm bushings is that the sway bar has a bit of wear at the mount so I figured the 24mm would be a better fit. Took it out for a test drive and I can almost cry! No more clunking, rattling, or banging! Hopefully the energy bushings last as this isn't a fun job, but I am so glad to have a solid ride back!

Last edited by Antherzoll; 02-16-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Awesome. Thank you for posting this. As I'm kinda copying your setup and will be installing ipd sways and wanted the biggest and beefiest parts I can get.

So far I got the battery.

Suspension and brakes are getting mounted tomorrow.

Then badswede lift and shoes

And the 16T.

Edit:swype keyboards lol

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Sweet. I keep going back and forth on the lift kit. If I were to do it I'd swap in XC90 axles at the same time. Been keeping an eye out at the wreckers for an XC90 with decent axles.

2.5t xc90? I know you hang with youngsatchel....

Have you seen the setup or install first hand? I've been considering it to after reading your threads.

Front and rear? Or just front?

Wondering if I can squeeze 225/75r16 with the lift.

Do xc90 LCA fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Deva View Post
      2.5t xc90? I know you hang with youngsatchel....

Have you seen the setup or install first hand? I've been considering it to after reading your threads.

Front and rear? Or just front?

Wondering if I can squeeze 225/75r16 with the lift.

Do xc90 LCA fit?

I helped Satchel install the springs. He has a shop install the axle and they required spacers to work at the hub. More information on his thread.

Only the front axles.

Anything is possible with a grinder and a welder . I'm running stock XC90 tires with a 29" diameter. Took some work, but the biggest issue going bigger would be the front spring perch. There's less than 1/2" clearance between the tire and the perch with the current tire.

XC90 LCA would not work alone, you would need the whole XC90 front end suspension, which from my understanding would swap over, but the rear suspension is completely different.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast