Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread - Page 10
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
      Noice!!
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice work! Aside from the enlarged mounting holes and the brake shields, it all bolts right up and works good with OEM brake hoses and whatnot? They will fit behind OEM 17" wheels? Considering this myself, really wanna do my homework, as I really hate brake work.
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - [email protected](at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by McShake View Post
      Nice work! Aside from the enlarged mounting holes and the brake shields, it all bolts right up and works good with OEM brake hoses and whatnot? They will fit behind OEM 17" wheels? Considering this myself, really wanna do my homework, as I really hate brake work.
      Well, right now I have XC90 wheels and of course they fit. I'll test fit my Thors when I get a chance.

Yes, beside what was stated it is 100% bolt-on on a XC70 because there is no steering limiter. For S60/V70s you'll need to enlarge the hole for the steering limiter and mount then with a longer M14x1.5 bolt as the original M14 from the XC90 calipers is not long enough with the steering limiter installed. I installed new XC70 hoses and they work. From my reading, others who have installed XC90 brakes on to S60/V70s were able to use their stock hoses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 02-20-2017 at 08:29 AM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Awesome! Yeah, I was aware of the longer bolts, but not that the steering limiter had anything to do with it. Ofc, when I think about it it's logical, but the P80s had the limiter cast as part of the hub housing, not as a separate bracket like on the P2 Vs. Thanks, really appreciate it, just need to find four calipers and new discs now. You went with 336s?

Yessir! 336mm 😘

Before

After

Oooh, dem sexeyhz!

Oh, LAWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Hello, me again. Sorry for hogging your thread, just have a few more questions.

Are the calipers the only thing you need to accomodate the bigger discs, or do you need the brackets as well? Do you know which years or models got the bigger brakes, and did the get bigger front and back at the same time? Over here, most XC90s have them, but they are expensive compared to say Sweden, so I probably won't get to see the part in anything else than a grainy pic.

Hello, me again. Sorry for hogging your thread, just have a few more questions.

Are the calipers the only thing you need to accomodate the bigger discs, or do you need the brackets as well? Do you know which years or models got the bigger brakes, and did the get bigger front and back at the same time? Over here, most XC90s have them, but they are expensive compared to say Sweden, so I probably won't get to see the part in anything else than a grainy pic.
      I'll share what I know.

There are 3 different sized brakes, 316mm, 328mm, and 336mm. I'm unsure which models came with 328mm, but from my understanding XC90 2.5T came with 316mm as they'll fit under 16s, and XC90 T6 and V8 came with 336mm, rear brakes are the same size for all models. All calipers require the correct carrier. Most likely which ever caliper you purchase will come with the correct carrier.

The 336mm calipers are larger than the 316mm and also require a different sized carrier. Here's a side by side of a 316mm caliper and a 336mm caliper.

Numbers are:
      316mm Calipers: 30639520 and 30636355, or casting number 969 and 970

336mm Calipers: 30657307 and 30657303, or casting number 960 and 959

You, sir, are a hero. The part numbers will make it tons easier.

I was used to the P80 brake upgrade from 280mm to 302mm, where you keep the caliper and carrier, and swap out a bracket holding the carrier to the hub assembly. That's the bracket I was talking about, there is no bracket in between here, then? Caliper and carrier assembly bolts directly to the hub assembly?

The 316s are pretty common here on XC90s, thet were standard on the diesel cars, and the 336s probably were delivered on the T6 and V8s here as well, I've been led to believe. The part numbers are a step up in searching, though. Thanks for that.

I fiddled around with this last summer, but let the plans go since I really didn't think the OEMs were bad brakes - but seeing how nice your discs fill out the wheels I'm gonna have to pick this back up.

That's all...

"Hub" - Spindle enlarged to 14mm

Carrier and Rotor mounted

(No steering limiter, you'll need a limiter enlarged to 14mm for non-XC models along with longer M14 bolts)

Caliper mounted to carrier via guide pins (7mm hex)

Bleed the beetch

and...

Just make sure you bleed them well. I had 2L of Pentosin LV DOT4 and my pressure bleeder. Bled the rear right (furthest from master cylinder) first then worked up to the front left (closest to master cylinder), pumped the brakes to engage the pistons to the rotors then bled again to get any remaining air out. A pressure bleeder is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Last edited by Antherzoll; 02-19-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Looks fantastic! I've been wanting to do this so badly. If I can find the right XC90 locally to pull em...I totally will. Getting to rebuild and paint calipers without any down time with the car is massively appealing. Thanks for all the helpful info here!

Current: 2003 V70 T5 M56 // Mystic Silver/Charcoal // 162K miles // Koni FSD + Eibachs // Snabb intake + IPD silicone turbo hoses // Copper R Brembos // 18" Pegs // OEM bi-xenons // '05 side mirrors // 18/35 tint // jewel tails // black anodized S80 DIM // R steering wheel // '05 console w/ T5M spaceball // mesh grill with custom ironmark badge 2004 XC70 bone stock for now…
      Previous: 2001 V70 T5M (Nautic/Charcoal) // 1999 V70 NA M56 (Blue-Green Metallic/Charcoal) // 2004 V70R M66 (Titanium/Nordkap) // 1992 244 M47 (Silver/Navy…and the newest, nicest car I'll ever own. Sold on BaT. )

Holly schnikes, looks really nice!!!

Welp....

Got the XC into the garage and I was just going to change the oil. While underneath the XC I noticed that there was soot collecting around #1 and #5 exhaust ports... bah. A little more than a year ago I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket with the Snabb one piece copper gasket, it seemed to have fit fine and I had zero issues with install. It was later suggested to me that I should use the OE gasket from a S40 T5 by Dougy, I had purchased one to have on hand in case I needed it. Well I guess I needed it.

Lining up the S40 gasket. PN: 8699467

...but there's something else. Upon reinstall I took a look in the turbo exhaust housing, what I noticed isn't so pretty.

Running to hot, bad Mexican ... The way that the metal is breaking apart in large crystals leads me to believe that the exhaust housing is of a poor casting, top grade Taiwanesium. I'm unsure who the manufacturer is, but the turbo as a whole was purchased through ARD in 2014, approx 40k mi on it to date and plenty of time on boost. The rest of the turbo is in top condition, zero shaft play and spins freely so that's a good sign. I've already placed an order for a new 7cm housing though Kinugawa, but delivery will take 1-2 weeks. Until then the XC will be out of commission, all alone, perched up on axle stands.

Meh, is what it is...
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-27-2017 at 03:57 PM.

That's a bummer man. I was kind of under the impression that ARD used Kingawa for most of their stuff, wonder if it might be better to try and source a OEM? I've never seen anything like that before, even on some really high mileage turbos.

Looks so easy to pull the turbo and manifold. Did you drop the angle gear and go dowm, or up and above? Dreading the day I have to change mine, the VNT turbos are yuuuge (insert Trumpface).

Quote Originally Posted by hootie6828 View Post
      That's a bummer man. I was kind of under the impression that ARD used Kingawa for most of their stuff, wonder if it might be better to try and source a OEM? I've never seen anything like that before, even on some really high mileage turbos.
      I was under the same impression, and from my understanding Kinugawa is supposed to be a good brand.

I'm unsure where I could purchase a new OE hot side with out purchasing a whole turbo, and buying​ a used turbo just for the hot side seems wasteful.
      Looks so easy to pull the turbo and manifold. Did you drop the angle gear and go dowm, or up and above? Dreading the day I have to change mine, the VNT turbos are yuuuge (insert Trumpface).
      I'm unsure what would be different on a D5, but it's not that bad and can be done without removing the angle gear if you have a bit of an imagination and a sense of humor. If you check the first page on this thread there's a "How To" on turbo removal. This time I fished it up and removed it through the top.

There's a few differances, the cold side exit goes underneath the engine, so I have to go below no matter what. I've been led to believe going down is the easiesy option on a D5.

Wow sorry to see that. what tune and injectors are you running with that turbo?

MY02 V70XC, M66, 4T4, 650cc, 455 LPH fuel pump, TME DP+catback, MTE custom tuned
      MY05 S60 T5, TME downpipe, Heico catback, MTE Stage 2 tuned
      MY02 V70XC/M66/4T4/650cc/FMIC/Aquamist/TME 3" DP+Catback/Built B5244T5 + MTE custom tuned =
      MY05 S60 T5/K24/465cc/TME 3" DP/HEICO catback + MTE Stage 2 tuned =
      MY18 V40 T3 + MTE Stage 1 tuned =
      MY06 S60 T5 Bone Stock...

There's a few differances, the cold side exit goes underneath the engine, so I have to go below no matter what. I've been led to believe going down is the easiesy option on a D5.
      Going down on the D5

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
      Wow sorry to see that. what tune and injectors are you running with that turbo?

MY02 V70XC, M66, 4T4, 650cc, 455 LPH fuel pump, TME DP+catback, MTE custom tuned
      MY05 S60 T5, TME downpipe, Heico catback, MTE Stage 2 tuned
      Hilton Custom Tune
      TD04HL-16T 11/11 blade turbine and compressor
      Bosch Blue "T5" injectors 0280155830

AFRs are spot on for what it's tuned for and there is no damage to the turbine wheel from what I can see, haven't removed the housing yet because I had to leave it where it is. I have contacted Hilton for his thoughts.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-30-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Should also note that for approximately 20k mi it was operating with an ARD tune. Although I've had it apart before for the previous exhaust manifold job I did not inspect it. I truly believe that this failure is the result of a poor quality exhaust housing.

My new housing has shipped today and hopefully will arrive by the end of the week. It was shipped out by Kamak Dynamics USA.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-27-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Ready for some more ugliness...

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a poor casting. There's also flaking and chipping on the outside of the casting.

There's a bit scraping on the inside of the turbine housing that I could be blamed for. As I was removing the housing I had spun the wheel to make sure that it was coming out straight, which it wasn't. It was really rusted on there and took quite a bit of heat and hammering to get it off, but thankfully the turbine wheel looks good.

So yeah. The housing should arrive by week's end and I'll be glad to be back in boost. I'll be keeping a close eye on this new housing.

Hard on Things
      https://youtu.be/P-AidkR6bkM
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-27-2017 at 10:58 PM.

I have a 16T in my basement that was intended for my 745 but needs a rebuild...I wish I would've known. I would've polished it and sent it your way for the parts and housings.
      Current: 1998 S70 GLT Pewter/Black (Stock for now)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1988 745T 247k (200ish whp butt dyno proven, MBC, BC coils, custom exhaust and intake) Daily/Autox Car 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 187k (A lot of poly, R clutch and single mass flywheel, BC coils, Ben McNally Special Stage 1 NA ported head, oversize intake valves, Enem Y21 cams, 2.5" straight pipe) 1997 855 T5 (850R ECU, H&R Lowering springs, straight pipe, Catless DP)
      IG: psychocross_v70

Thanks, is it angle flanged? I'll still accept anyways. 😁

Who knows, this new housing could be the same junk.

Came off 850R...it's apart atm

Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1988 745T 247k (200ish whp butt dyno proven, MBC, BC coils, custom exhaust and intake) Daily/Autox Car 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 187k (A lot of poly, R clutch and single mass flywheel, BC coils, Ben McNally Special Stage 1 NA ported head, oversize intake valves, Enem Y21 cams, 2.5" straight pipe) 1997 855 T5 (850R ECU, H&R Lowering springs, straight pipe, Catless DP)

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      I was under the same impression, and from my understanding Kinugawa is supposed to be a good brand.

I'm unsure where I could purchase a new OE hot side with out purchasing a whole turbo, and buying​ a used turbo just for the hot side seems wasteful.

I'm unsure what would be different on a D5, but it's not that bad and can be done without removing the angle gear if you have a bit of an imagination and a sense of humor. If you check the first page on this thread there's a "How To" on turbo removal. This time I fished it up and removed it through the top.

I found a place in Buffalo that remans turbos. They are called D&W and you may find parts you need. They do Mitsu and other turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New housing has arrived, that was fast. The casting looks identical, but it's hard to determine the quality. My best assumption is that this is an identical part to what was previously installed. I'll hang onto it for now, if I'm unable to source an OE 7cm2 housing I'll just run what I got and IRAN...

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Thanks, is it angle flanged? I'll still accept anyways. 😁

Who knows, this new housing could be the same junk.
      Quote Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
      Came off 850R...it's apart atm

If it's the stock 16T off an 850R manual, then it's a straight flange.

If it's the stock 16T off an 850R manual, then it's a straight flange.
      I was mistaken, 98 VR

Then it might be an angled flange, provided spec was the same for US and european markets in that department. Angled came about the same time as the ETM and updated electronics on the P80s.

99 is angle flange
      2015.5 Twlight Bronze/Hazel XC70 T6 Platinum
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      Former: 2009 Mystic Silver/Graphite S60 2.5T Advanced
      2004 Ash Gold/Taupe S60 2.5T, Polar White/Charcoal 854R, 2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design, 1996 Bright Red 855R, 2003 Silver V70 T5, 2012 Black Sapphire C30 T5 R-Design 6MT P*

Erie Volvo has a TD04HL-16T with the 7cm2 angle flange on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351806647879?ul_noapp=true

...but for $500+ CAD before taxes, import fees, and shipping for just the housing I can't justify the purchase.

Well did I not luck out!

Stock 16T with a 7cm2 exhaust housing for $160. Bought it off a guy who had it in storage for over a year. Came off of a 2002 S60 T5 with 140k km. The shaft is a little bit loose, and it can use a bit of a cleaning, but that's not why I bought it.

There are subtle differences​ between the two castings, but the OE housing feels like it is made of a better alloy and just looks like a better casting. Going to return this other housing ASAP!
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-30-2017 at 03:33 AM.

So how can I tell the difference between a 6cm and 7cm exhaust housing?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast