Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
      fawesome. You just saved me 20 minutes of forum searching.

off to amazon.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      fawesome. You just saved me 20 minutes of forum searching.

off to amazon.
      Watch out for replicas
      2004 V70 SE 2.4 NA with a 33' turning circle!

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Watch out for replicas
      That's true. If you peel the label off of the filter it should have "Magnefine" imprinted and flow direction right on it.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-17-2015 at 03:09 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

no worries. I primed it from a seller that I've dealt with before.

after I have a look at it installing this thing I may opt for a remote filter head and a screw on filter if I can find a nice home for it.

I'll probably save that for the spring when I install a fluid cooler.

Well, since this is the last mild day we might have for a while, I booked the time off from diaper duty tonight to tackle the Haldex pump tonight. Got the XC on ramps, had everything organized... or so I thought. Going through my final check of tools and hardware I couldn't find my 24mm socket anywhere! Just used it for the transmission flush and I swear it was put back, and I don't have a 15/16". Them's the brakes.

Oh well, I used the time constructively, got under the XC and gave everything a good once over and found a few things:
      - My IPD sway bars are still blue
      - The clunking I'm hearing on downshifts is the front CV on the propshaft, it has a slight bit of play.
      - Saw a little bit of soot at the exhaust port on cylinder #1, but it's not enough to warrant an immediate service.
      - Still haven't extracted the stud from the exhaust hosing on the turbo, the DP has been secured by two studs now for almost 6 months, no leaks so not a priority.
      - Inner CV on the PS axle is throwing a bit of grease from behind the clamp. Volvo shaft replaced before I bought the XC. Clamp is tight and the grease does look old, but it's not black/grey like typical CV grease.. maybe something else got on it and the axle threw it around.

Also took apart the old Magnefine filter.

SEE THOSE BIG BLACK CHUNKS!!! WTF IS [email protected]#@!

Just plastic bits from filter housing that broke off when I was trying to open it. This filter has less than 30k miles on it, somewhere around 15-20k pretty hard miles and it doesn't look that dirty. Was 30k since my last flush so I replaced it anyways, but I'd feel confident using it for longer. The filter and the magnet seem to be doing a good job. That weird cross thing is a diffuser channel the fluid along the outside through the filter media or else it would just go straight through the valve at the center of the filter.

So now my to do list grows a bit bigger and I don't see myself having much time in the future, may differ this to my indy...
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-19-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Humm... I'm going to roll the dice.

175.79USD for a whole driveshaft
      https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...944&cc=1433952

or 276.99USD for the CV kit
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...0-s60-31216175

what's the cost of a used driveshaft up your way? The failure rates are pretty low, if there's a big enough price difference it may be worth a gamble. Or does rust rule that option out?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
      Questions about rear differentials repairs? Email me here - [email protected]
      Owner of the only P3 V70 T6 in North America

Used, not sure, there are shops that will rebuild but I can bring in the new axle for less. Will use it until it fails then I'l get the OE axle rebuilt.

Any tips in the exhaust manifold gasket? Thinking of going with Snabbs one piece gasket. I know it's going to be a PITA but looks pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Any tips in the exhaust manifold gasket? Thinking of going with Snabbs one piece gasket. I know it's going to be a PITA but looks pretty straight forward.
      I would get newer style one piece all you have to do to make it fit is cut lill of off it by water inlet and the other end if you like cause it is lill bit longer.

VOLVO 8699467 GENUINE OEM MANIFOLD GASKET
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone
      1997 Avalon - gone - son - space-force

Dang dougy! Already ordered the Snabb gasket and it has already shipped.

On the move

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
      Questions about rear differentials repairs? Email me here - [email protected]
      Owner of the only P3 V70 T6 in North America

Well attempt #2: FAIL
      Cause: Weather

Once again made time for this and yet another hang up. I checked the forcast and the rain was supposed to hold off until tonight... WRONG. Would have been fine if I set up on higher ground, but unfortunately the eavestrough were clogged up and dumped all the rain right in front of my unit . I was just about the get at the flange when my ass started to get soaked, so I called it quits. Removed the driveshaft completely (which I'll be replacing soon), hung the exhaust, covered the flange on the AOC to protect it from the elements, and now my XC is officially FWD and I need some dry clothes and a beer.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-21-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Haaaaaa! (Laughing with you, not at you of course)

That's a great picture.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

I'm laughing too, don't worry. I'm glad it happened before I had the flange off and not when I had started on the AOC. I might be able to get a third attempt at this soon once I get the new shaft, but this time I won't chance it with the weather.

As for a flange counter-hold, I have a heavy-duty strap wrench that should work well.

Given its freezing overnight in Toronto now that is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishb View Post
      Given its freezing overnight in Toronto now that is impressive.
      What, working in the wet and cold? Hahaha!

Never mind my job, I camp in worse weather/conditions.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-23-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Used, not sure, there are shops that will rebuild but I can bring in the new axle for less. Will use it until it fails then I'l get the OE axle rebuilt.
      Did you go with the Rock Auto driveshaft? Cheap axles and driveshafts are usually made in Asia to somewhat lower standards than Volvo uses. New CV joints on your old shaft would be as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by 02duxv70 View Post
      Did you go with the Rock Auto driveshaft? Cheap axles and driveshafts are usually made in Asia to somewhat lower standards than Volvo uses. New CV joints on your old shaft would be as good as new.
      I know that! I said I'm rolling the dice. I bought cheap expecting that I'll get a cheap part, if it last I'll be pleasantly surprised, if it doesn't then I'll service my OE shaft, document the failure, then have a nice post for everyone to read...stay tuned, it should arrive by Thursday.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-23-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Well today I took a hour to flush out the Motomaster ATF with 12L of Valvoline Maxlife. While the Motomaster fluid did perform well, I feel like it was not well enough. 1-2 and 2-3 shift would feel like it was rowing (where previously I would hardly feel the up shift), and downshifts felt a bit shuddery or slightly jerky. This was only with light to moderate driving, transmission shifted flawlessly with a hard driving.

Haven't had much time with the Maxlife, just drove it around to get it up to temp to check the level, which is bang on by the way . Tired a few different driving situation including a few hard pull and the transmission shifts very well, I do not feel the "rowing".

This is just my observation with the different fluids, still need more time with the Maxlife. Maybe adaption would have helped but I feel that if a fluid is within spec then the TCM shouldn't need to be adapted. Maybe it's just me? Maybe I'm crazy! Maybe I need to MT swap

In other news, my driveshaft has arrived in a pretty 7' box. From Texas to Toronto in 6day (that's including the weekend) . Hoping to install it along with servicing the rest of the AOC by next weekend.

EDIT:
      Oh and the smell! The Motomaster hardly had a sent, but the Maxlife had quite a heavy smell to it similar to the 3309 but stronger IMO.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-26-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Interesting! How is the Maxlife performing so far?

Ha, was going to post later on tonight.

It hasn't changed, having the same issue, also getting a faint coast down knock again (front CV on the driveshaft had made it more noticeable previously). Leaning towards either an issue with the linear soleniods or the valvebody itself. Reason being that I do not have this issues with the cold transmission, it shifts flawlessly.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-19-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Rock Auto has issued a RMA and is paying for the return shipping. I'll be purchasing a CV kit from Colorado Driveshafts and will service the OE shaft myself.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Volvo-drive-sha...715?nav=SEARCH

Well attempt #2: FAIL
      Cause: Weather

Once again made time for this and yet another hang up. I checked the forcast and the rain was supposed to hold off until tonight... WRONG. Would have been fine if I set up on higher ground, but unfortunately the eavestrough were clogged up and dumped all the rain right in front of my unit . I was just about the get at the flange when my ass started to get soaked, so I called it quits. Removed the driveshaft completely (which I'll be replacing soon), hung the exhaust, covered the flange on the AOC to protect it from the elements, and now my XC is officially FWD and I need some dry clothes and a beer.
      Attempt #3 & 4: Fail
      Cause: Flange nut cannot be removed with typical tool.

Went at this agian then brought it to my mechanic who also had trouble. Trying both an impact gun and a two foot breaker bar, using a strap wrench as a counter hold a soaking it with tons of penetrating oil (even though it's not that rusty), and the damn thing wouldn't loose. I'm reluctant to try heat but may go that route if option 3 doesn't work. My mechanic is going to pick-up the Volvo counter hold and will try agian on Monday. He will also be swapping in the new valve body and servicing the front CV while it's in. Time being what it is I can't dedicate any more towards this at this time of year, and not having AWD is starting to get to me. Has be quite damp around here recently, and due to my driving habits, I'm finding that I'm spinning the tires too often from a stop.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 12-13-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Was curious about how long you could continue to live without AWD! Weather seems to be playing "nice" so far, but it can't last. Sorry to hear about your difficulties man! I'm contemplating an FWD for the new vehicle, but Everytime it gets wet or I go to the woods I end up firmly back in the "AWD FTW" camp...
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Weather seems to be playing "nice" so far, but it can't last.
      I'm not a meteorologist, but here's my thought. For anyone around the Great Lakes affected by winter snow squalls, the longer mild weather keeps up, the more heat energy the lakes absorb. Once it dips below freezing and a nice arctic wind blows in (and it should sometime this winter), all that extra heat energy will increase the amount of snow accumulation. Also, if it continues to be mild all winter that additional heat energy isn't let off. Next summer is going to be a humid one and may line up next winter to be a mess. But I could be completly wrong, just me trying add some doom and gloom to this awesome weather. I was out in my T-shirt on my bike today!!!

if you have a welder, weld pipe to flat plate cut into "U" shape that catches the flange holes. Wedge against the ground. I guess if you don't have a welder you could just use a long piece of flat stock and drill two holes to catch the flange.

that's how I remove axle yokes.

if you have a welder, weld pipe to flat plate cut into "U" shape that catches the flange holes. Wedge against the ground. I guess if you don't have a welder you could just use a long piece of flat stock and drill two holes to catch the flange.

that's how I remove axle yokes.

Issue i can see with that is the vibration damper around the flange protrudes about 1/2". Tried to adapt something similar but bolts would be too long and would just bend with the torque. What I feel is needed and the Volvo tool will accomplish is a counter hold that clears the vibration damper and mates to the flange directly while providing access to the flange nut.

Here is one persons DIY from a VW forum.

DIY flange tool +impact takes that right off.
      I guess I forget that most people haven't made the investment and take 500 ft lbs of impact driver for granted.

DIY flange tool +impact takes that right off.
      I guess I forget that most people haven't made the investment and take 500 ft lbs of impact driver for granted.
      I agree, it's the strap wrench around the vibration damper that was dampening the blows from the impact driver, but most that I've heard from that use this method have had success.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 12-14-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Rock Auto has issued a RMA and is paying for the return shipping. I'll be purchasing a CV kit from Colorado Driveshafts and will service the OE shaft myself.

http://m.eb <br /> ay.ca/itm/Volvo-d...715?nav=SEARCH
      to Rockauto, not only have they refunded the part, they refunded the shipping and covered the return shipping.

We have issued you credit for RockAuto Order #

PayPal

Amount (USD): $260.01

Refunded Items

API Part # 1701325942: Part: $175.79 + Original Shipping: $60.00 + Tax: $24.22 = Total: $260.01
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 12-15-2015 at 11:35 AM.

That's great customer service

rockauto has always done right by me, but I have had very few problems in thousands of dollars of orders going back ten years.

Did you ever find the Gobi R seats?

Quote Originally Posted by rollguy View Post
      Did you ever find the Gobi R seats?
      I didn't know I was looking for them.

Jokes, you must be mistaken.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast