not loving VIDA transmission adaptive reset, how do you get it just right?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Need a little guru advice from anyone who has done an adaptive reset on their Volvo (Aisin Warner) trans

The background:
      So I have faithfully replaced my trans fluid approximately every 40,000 kilometres since this car was new (42, 80, 120, 162)
      TCM was updated to the latest firmware/software when odometer at 42,000 km, was beginning to get a VERY slight 2-3 shift flare at the time (in winter). No shift flare since.
      I got an iPD stage I tune at around 50,000 km
      Around 90-100,000 km Started getting a slow clutch engagement in winter for first 1-2 minutes when shifting 1-2, 2-3. But it disappeared as soon as it warmed up a little.

After the latest trans fluid refresh (iPD flush method) I had access to VIDA and Dice unit, so I figured I'd try an adaptive reset since I've heard many mention it over time on SS.

results:
      first attempt - did standard adaptive reset and training, got orange lights in all gears. However over the next couple days 1-2, and 2-3 shifts no as smooth as before. ECM was still on IPD stage I tune at the time.

second attempt - did the erase all history reset, and then adaptive reset and training. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts seem even harder than 1st try.

third attempt - removed iPD stage I and went back to OEM tune. did standard adaptive reset and training, but unable to get orange shift lights as easily as the first two times. trained over and over 3x as much as the prior attempts to manage to get them all.

results:
      Currently shifts better than the first two attempts, not as harsh, but still has pronounced shifts. The one good thing is that the slow 1-2 clutch engagement on cold mornings is gone.

other info:
      fluid is correct level (verified when hot and while engine still running, several times)
      lower trans mount is practically brand new, even swapped in an IPD HD one just to check if I was just feeling the mount movements instead of the trans, it made NO difference (other than vibration)
      upper engine mount and side mount are also less than 5000 km old
      TCV also still pretty new (1yr).

I am guessing that the TCM had accounted for its age/wear as time marched on and now that I have reset it it imagines that the parts are new, so it expects better tolerances or something like that and engages to suddenly as a result. Is there any way to get it smoother again, or not?

Appreciate any first hand experience you can throw my way.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You have to DRIVE the car for a minimum of 500 miles after adaption, it (usually) gets better.
      This is not a cure all to end all!
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

I've never noticed any changes after reset/adapting transmission. Car always drove the same.

It really only for when replacing the valve body. That's what the instructions say.

More likely the three linear solenoids are beginning to fail. Only way to fix it is remove the front cover from trans and replace them.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [240K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [190K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Racer_S View Post
      More likely the three linear solenoids are beginning to fail. Only way to fix it is remove the front cover from trans and replace them.
      I thought that was only true for the older years, because the solenoids were smaller. We'll see how it goes! Hopefully it'll improve over time. If not, I may have to go for the Level 10 kit.
      Last edited by ss60; 04-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ss60 View Post
      I thought that was only true for the older years, because the solenoids were smaller. We'll see how it goes! Hopefully it'll improve over time. If not, I may have to go for the Level 10 kit.
      The newer versions are still susceptible to faulty solenoids. They just fail a little more gracefully. In fact, the solenoids are interchangeable from 01 to 04.

Both my Volvo's have the same transmissions but they have a very different shift personality.

the 04 has a 1-2 bump
      the 03 has a 2-3 bump

likely due to a different one of the 3 solenoids plunger 'sticking' in each case

also both slow to shift 2-3 when very cold, the 03 seems worse

There is a couple options when servicing the solenoids. You could replace them or diy refurbish them or send the whole vb to be overhauled.

This page has lots of information.
      http://www.sonnax.com/articles/209-A...dy-Information

specifically:

Linear Lock-up Solenoid ( SLU)

This Solenoid Affects:
      1-2 up-shift. ie; too firm or bumpy
      2-1 downshift. ie; harsh, bump
      Light throttle TCC modulation. ie; cycling rpm or cooler flow
      Full TCC lockup. Ie; late, bump on coast down release
      TCC release on coast; too early, loss of engine braking
      Line Pressure Solenoid ( SLT)

This Solenoid Affects:
      Reverse engagement. ie; too firm, or delay
      Forward engagement. ie; delay forward
      Upshift/downshift quality. ie: harsh upshifts, coast down clunk
      2-3 upshift. ie: long flare, or tail bump
      SLT pressure tap. Pressure too low, and slow response
      Shift Pressure Control Solenoid (SLS)

This Solenoid Affects:
      Reverse engagement
      Upshift and downshifts
      Does not affect forward engagement
      This solenoid pressure only reacts on the shift pressure control plunger to adjust clutch pressure. It is pulsed to control the feed rate of the clutch dependant on engine load
      Last edited by Racer_S; 04-15-2014 at 10:43 PM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [240K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [190K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

FWIW I never did the adaptive reset after replacing my fluid under the advisement of a Volvo tech and ipd that it wasn't necessary. Trans was already super smooth after the fluid change so that was good enough for me. It's been about 10k miles now and it's still the same. The trans never stops adapting so it will adapt to new fluid too. I also never noticed it adapting, it just felt good right from the start.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

There seems to be some confusion around the various options in VIDA for trans service. The one that is easy and should be done after fluid changes is the Fluid Counter Reset not the adaptive reset. The fluid counter is a measure of how many times the fluid temperature exceeds a set point, as the fluid is overheated it will break down and change properties, the ECU keeps tracks of this and changes the line pressure and other characteristics to compensate for the fluid break down. Once new fluid is introduced the counter should be reset so that the line pressure is appropriate for the new fluid. Failure to perform this reset may result in poor performance.

The ECM reset is a much more in depth process and usually not needed unless the transmission has been serviced internally.

OP, I would keep driving for a while as mentioned and see if it smooths out.
      Our Work Is Never Over.

the force is strong in you, sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Racer_S View Post
      also both slow to shift 2-3 when very cold, the 03 seems worse
      By this do you mean when the engine is cold, you accelerate gently but it holds 2nd gear to a lot higher RPM than when the engine is warm?
      If so, I'm pretty sure this is normal, the ECM is basically trying to run a little higher revs so the engine warms up faster.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Quote Originally Posted by NJGreenBudd View Post
      There seems to be some confusion around the various options in VIDA for trans service. The one that is easy and should be done after fluid changes is the Fluid Counter Reset not the adaptive reset. The fluid counter is a measure of how many times the fluid temperature exceeds a set point, as the fluid is overheated it will break down and change properties, the ECU keeps tracks of this and changes the line pressure and other characteristics to compensate for the fluid break down. Once new fluid is introduced the counter should be reset so that the line pressure is appropriate for the new fluid. Failure to perform this reset may result in poor performance.

The ECM reset is a much more in depth process and usually not needed unless the transmission has been serviced internally.

OP, I would keep driving for a while as mentioned and see if it smooths out.
      Yeah that's my plan, I sure hope it smooths out. I wish everyone would change the wording in their other threads from "do the trans adaptation" to "reset the counter", that's where the confusion came from.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements