New main fuel pump whining.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New main fuel pump whining.

My 1987 Volvo 240dl left me stranded the other day. I replaced the main fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and some fuses that looked like they had some corrosion on them. The car seems to be running fine now, except the new main fuel pump is making a whining noise. What do you think is the cause? Dirt?
      In tank fuel pump not working causing the main fuel pump to overwork? How do I troubleshoot the in tank fuel pump to see if it is working?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Put a length of small hose in the filler (don't let it fall inside), then put your ear to the outer end of the hose and listen for a smooth whirring noise. If you get no noise it's either dead or there's a wiring problem, and if you get a nasty noise while running it's almost dead.
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements