Convertible top bump stop service kit
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Convertible top bump stop service kit

So I found a maintenance schedule for my c70 and it has a 30k item for replacement of rubber bump stops. My c70 has 75k, purchased in December, and I'm assuming that this was never done. I called the local dealer parts dept and they scratched their heads for a while before finding the service kit. The cost was not too bad, $15 each for 4 of them. Apparently the service dept. never replaces these, has anyone done this? I ordered and plan to DIY when they come in.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2016 S60I, 2013 S60, 2003 XC70, 2002 V70, 1998 S70

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast View Post
      So I found a maintenance schedule for my c70 and it has a 30k item for replacement of rubber bump stops. My c70 has 75k, purchased in December, and I'm assuming that this was never done. I called the local dealer parts dept and they scratched their heads for a while before finding the service kit. The cost was not too bad, $15 each for 4 of them. Apparently the service dept. never replaces these, has anyone done this? I ordered and plan to DIY when they come in.
      never heard of this service or kit. do you mind sharing the part number?
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

I didn't write it down, but I'll post it when it comes in.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Pretty sure it was done on our '11 under S & S...but I have no idea of cost(thankfully )
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2017 FIAT 500L Lounge Bianco...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!(AND the oil and gas business gets better!!!)
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

well there are 2 rubber bump stops in the floor of the trunk for the roof. so i assume there are 2 more somewhere that needs replaced. these other 2 must be in the roof somewhere or maybe some other part of the trunk.

I finally got around to this project.

The service kit consists of 4 rubber pieces, 2 each of the following:
      31256105 (larger round ones)
      610706-001 (smaller square ones)
      My apologies if these are not the correct numbers, but that's what's on the bag they came in (misplaced my invoice naturally).

Originally I poked around the car for half an hour and couldn't find where they went, so I went back to the parts dept and asked if there was a diagram, which they helpfully produced, with the locations marked. After that it was super easy.

Press the top-down button and release it when the trunk lid is all the way open. This makes it easy to find and replace the bumpers, which are on the floor of the trunk.

The square ones are in the rear just behind the tail lights and simply press fit into a recess. Mine seemed to be in like-new condition but of course I replaced them anyway.

The round ones are a different story. They go in the front part of the trunk on top of the wheel well directly underneath the C pillars, maybe 8" forward of the rear edge of the rear window. The new parts are soft rubber, but the original ones are plastic assemblies consisting of a plastic base, a plastic upper piece with a small rubber insert, and some little springs which separate the two pieces. I guess they decided that the simpler all-rubber approach worked better. To remove the old ones, fold back the edge of the trunk liner and pry the whole assembly off by the flat part on the bottom with your fingers. The new one has adhesive and a peel off sticker, just remove it and stick it in place. There is a slot it fits into for exact placement.

While I was at it I lubricated every moving part I could find with some white grease, and now I feel like I've done what I can to preserve this wondrous but complicated and potentially expensive to fix convertible hard top. I am impressed with the design, even though it wobbles a bit when operated all the parts seem sturdy enough and the paint on the arms and pivots looked new.

As for other things I've done, the Gummi Phlege treatment silences creaks for a week or two but afterward it's back to normal. The software update which I had done by the dealer (activates the roof momentarily each time the car is started to tighten things up) also improved thing a bit, but mostly I've gotten used to the sounds it makes and just turn up the radio. Since the weather turned we've been loving the car, it was made for top down driving after all, and we've never had anything like it.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

thanks for the followup post.

the first part number shows up in tasca $11.79/ea. but the 2nd number doesn't turn up anything. mind posting a pic of the instructions/diagrams?
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

Great post, thanks Northeast for that research. I too am looking to do all possible to keep that complicated mechanism going, and I hear the creaking and thumping of the roof, especially when going over diagonal road bumps as the body twists. I've seen several other smaller bump stops in the upper roof mechanism, some appear to have slight dents in them, so I'm wondering if they are replaceable too. Any other info on those would be great. Also, do you know what the name/number of the service update was that tightens the roof on startup? I don't think that mine does that, and sometimes I have to slow down and cycle the roof, just the beginning of it, to reduce the noise and shifting.
      Stock '07 C70, except roof smart module. Cruisin' it on one of the small islands of Hawaii

At 30K my dealer said they would be replaced if needed. And it was not needed at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      thanks for the followup post.

the first part number shows up in tasca $11.79/ea. but the 2nd number doesn't turn up anything. mind posting a pic of the instructions/diagrams?
      I was able to find the diagram that the parts dept shared with me online here:
      http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ng=bump%20stop

The two parts I replaced are #4 30787207 and #5 31256105.

I've seen several other smaller bump stops in the upper roof mechanism, some appear to have slight dents in them, so I'm wondering if they are replaceable too. Any other info on those would be great.
      Poke around the site listed above and you'll find that there's lots of little bits that can be replaced if you can decipher the diagrams. I don't know if the creaking over bumps that twist the chassis will ever be cureable though. I've decided to live with it, a small sacrifice for the utter goodness of having a 2-in-1 transformer car. My wife and I attended the Tudor Sports Car race at Watkins Glen this weekend, and we pulled into the parking lot surrounded by some very cool and pricey cars - Corvettes, BMWs, Porches, many 'verts. They all stopped and gawked at the roof closing We drove through the village on the way out to the track, lots of people, lots of appreciation for the c70. Stopped for ice cream afterward, little boy with his father mesmerized. I've never driven a flashy car and sometimes this one attracts a bit more attention that I'm used to. The wife loves it though.

Also, do you know what the name/number of the service update was that tightens the roof on startup? I don't think that mine does that, and sometimes I have to slow down and cycle the roof, just the beginning of it, to reduce the noise and shifting.
      Sorry I don't have the detail on this, but I'm sure your dealer can help out. I had to pay for the update, about $130, but it's software so maybe it will be free if combined with a maintenance visit and you ask specifically. I bought the car used from a Volvo dealer and was surprised this wasn't part of their prep, but the were otherwise very good to work with so I let it go.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements