Extended Warranty for Radiator Grille Logo
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Extended Warranty for Radiator Grille Logo

I just got a letter from Volvo of North America informing me that they have "voluntarily decided to extend warranty coverage for the VOLVO Emblem on the radiator grille Iron Mark Logo, on certain model year 2010-2013 S40, V50, S80, S60, V70, XC70, XC90, C30, and C70 models .... until December 31, 2014."

Mine's just fine.
      Stan
      In the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire
      2012 Volvo S60 R-Design; Passion Red, Climate and BLIS
      2013 Porsche Boxster S (981 S), Platinum Silver, 6 speed manual, 20" Carrera S wheels

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Extended warranty on the one very single most visible symbol of the manufacturer that would reflect horribly on it's materials and build quality. Generous.
      2013 S60 R-Design, Ice White
      SOLD: 2007 S60R GT Passion Red / Gobi
      2008 XC-90 V8 AWD Executive Package Willow Green / Black

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS60r View Post
      Extended warranty on the one very single most visible symbol of the manufacturer that would reflect horribly on it's materials and build quality. Generous.
      Yup, Volvo really damned if they do, damned if they don't on this one. Better to just get quality control right the first time. Similarly silly that the faulty alumi-plastic trim on the steering wheel is cutting people.

Hire some guys from Honda if needed, but figure it out please Volvo!
      2013 S60 R-Design, Passion Red. Modified with red "R" valve stem caps that probably add 20-25 HP.

1998 S70. 120k miles. GLT that needs some TLC.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Our dealer mechanic said that Volvo had tried to switch to a more "environmentally-friendly" adhesive. Doesn't stick obviously. And now the roads are littered with Volvo emblems. True or not, it makes a good story.....

Quote Originally Posted by JLoft View Post
      Our dealer mechanic said that Volvo had tried to switch to a more "environmentally-friendly" adhesive. Doesn't stick obviously. And now the roads are littered with Volvo emblems. True or not, it makes a good story.....
      I continue to read "environmentally friendly" regarding paint and adhesive. What is that intended to mean? The off-gas during application?

Quote Originally Posted by JLoft View Post
      I have no problem with environmentally friendly materials, but how about testing stuff BEFORE it goes into production?

It's really not that hard - and a car with generally poor attention to quality control could become a death trap. Seriously, if NASA also took the attitude that "we can just extend the warranty if it doesn't work," we would be killing alot more astronauts.
      2013 S60 R-Design, Passion Red. Modified with red "R" valve stem caps that probably add 20-25 HP.

Got my letter the other day.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

Quote Originally Posted by Fifth Set View Post
      I have no problem with environmentally friendly materials.
      I do. Because they don't work. Or they would simply be called responsible improvements. And besides, is Volvo worried that the adhesive would be dangerous to armadillos when they lick it laying on the highway where it fell off?

Had mine replaced today. Took no more than 15 minutes. Was reminded this is not a recall, but rather an "extended warranty" issue. (Ahem....)

Now waiting for the logo on my wife's XC70 to self destruct. :-)
      His: 2015 V60 R-Design, Passion Red
      Hers: 2015 V60 R-Design, Savile Grey

Dan Neil of the Wall Street Journal regarding the V60 R-Design: "In short, a fantastic car, hugely practical, dead sexy, super fun, a class act all the way."

Ever consider that the adhesive manufactured and applied wasn't up to speck to what Volvo approved to use and it has nothing to do with Volvo but everything to do with the company that made the ill-compounded adhesive? Why does everyone always assume it's all Volvo's fault? Kinda hard to do quality control check on a little strip of glue, you know? Stuff like this happens to EVERY auto company. This seems like such a non-issue in my eyes....you've never seen another car with it's emblem missing because the glue fell off?!? This just happened to my $350,000 John Deere tractor the other day, logo fell off that was glued on. Good for Volvo to cover it under warranty...just slap it on while right on the service drive and go. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post
      ...it has nothing to do with Volvo but everything to do with the company that made the...
      Under this approach, Volvo "has nothing to do with" most parts in the car, so I would have to disagree with you.

Like most makes, Volvo relies on a number of third-party suppliers for many different parts in the car. But in order for the car to work, it needs to insist on demonstrated quality of all of these suppliers and their parts. That includes, among many things, serious, verifiable testing.

The reason Honda is always number 1 in reliability is that it takes huge responsibility for this and prioritizes it. Can't demonstrate quality in your spec and in reality? You will not be able to sell anything into a Honda car. Period.

You are right that this particular part failure is small by itself. But it reflects a testing/quality control problem. I would like to see Volvo be the company that has Japanese-level quality with German-level performance (I actually think it's the closest today, which is why I have bought two). So it needs to own this, not just punt it to suppliers after the fact.

Shoot...after my blue sticker fell off and since my car was out of warranty, I bought one from a Volvo dealer online for $20 and installed it. Wish I would have known...
      Current: 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
      Osmium Grey exterior, Charcoal interior
      Heads-Up Display, Bowers & Wilkins, Surround View Camera, Premium Wheels, Charcoal Headliner

Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5
      Vibrant Copper exterior, Beechwood Brown/Off-black interior
      Premium, Climate, and Multimedia Packages; Rear Entertainment, Xenons, PCC, Njord Wheels

2016 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum
      Bright Silver Metallic exterior, Off-Black interior
      Climate and BLIS Packages

Bring your receipt back in for your purchased sticker.....you can be reimbursed for your expense in an extended warranty situation like this....happens all the time.

I understand Volvo is responsible for who makes there stuff, but after actually working in the industry I understand first hand how you can hold the hand of your supplier and STILL have issues. Perhaps Volvo fired the supplier after this? I mean we don't know what all went down, which is why on something so small as this it seems people are OUTRAGED at Volvo. That's what I find silly.

And as for all the quality control of the Japanese people keep referring too, after working for Lexus for years you might just start to wonder exactly where this great reputation came from. All sorts of problems with quality, and it's often suppliers. Remember when RX350s started to be built in both Japan and Canada? Our store selectively sold the Canada built cars....if you were a "key/influential" customer for us you only got a RX built in Japan, because the Canadian ones had all sorts of problems. For example the alternators failed frequently, because they had a different supplier than the Japan RXs..... That's just one example.

I get your point, but still....there is only so much you can do until you actually discover the problem. It's that point when you show what kind of company you are. I'd say covering all cars now for the sticker is a good sign they know where the bread is buttered.

I don't disagree with VolvoFaRmeR here much. My issue is IF the key argument is that it was an "environmentally friendly" claimed adhesive. That'd be ridiculous and a big miss on Volvo's part, not the supplier. If Volvo sacrificed quality in the name of environmental PR, then I'd be annoyed.

I don't blame Volvo here. I think they're trying to do the right thing in multiple ways... "Environmentally friendly" adhesives is the right way to go and often covered by regulation ("VOC reduction"). And, now that there's been an ongoing problem, they've extended the coverage for replacement.

There just is no way to test for every condition of use, every condition of application. The US built a whole series of rifles that had "fragile" receivers (main body). It turned out that the outside temperature and lighting affected how the heat treatment was applied and verified by the workers. They followed all the procedures and thought they were building to specification. Don't take my word for it, check out "M1903 low serial number".

How is any of this bad?

I haven't gotten my letter yet but my car is certainly in the affected range.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by djstorm View Post
      Shoot...after my blue sticker fell off and since my car was out of warranty, I bought one from a Volvo dealer online for $20 and installed it. Wish I would have known...
      Call VCNA. I'm willing to bet they'll reimburse you.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      "Environmentally friendly" adhesives is the right way to go and often covered by regulation ("VOC reduction")...

How is any of this bad?
      VOC reduction relative to a dime size application of adhesive? Really? Sorry, but there is zero environmental impact. Period. This is purely marketing BS. It's not bad (unless your car is badged as a " ". I just isn't any good.

VOC reduction relative to a dime size application of adhesive? Really? Sorry, but there is zero environmental impact. Period. This is purely marketing BS. It's not bad (unless your car is badged as a " ". I just isn't any good.
      1 dime sized blob times how many cars? It does add up.

And it could be the vendor who is making the change to reduce the emissions of their product overall.

Try to buy some house or general purpose paint these days. Either the can is labeled "not for sale in California" or "Complies with CA VOC regulations". Like that can of paint (or even all the paint rustoleum sells in CA really makes a difference).

Think they'll still honor it one month later? This is a problem for the used 2010 S80 I'm picking up at the end of this month. Other than a warranty replacement, anyone know the right/best part number? The emblem is still there but the "Volvo" blue lettering has worn or fallen away. I'm assuming that's the same as everyone else's issues.

I'll ask next week when I take in the RD for 40k mile service AND front RDesign emblem replacement! Mine got tired and let go sometime in the past few weeks. Stupid POS glue. Somebody at Volvo purchasing should be flogged.

Mine was just replaced this afternoon, under warranty. No problem at all. Took about 15 minutes from the time I walked in the door without an appointment. The emblem was cloudy and discolored, which must be the first sign the glue is failing.

The same problem must be the cause of similar clouding I saw on the wheel center caps when I picked up the car. I replaced three of the four.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

it's not pure marketing. And it's not only about one item with one adhesive. If they've decided to use environmentally-friendly materials in their painting operation, it doesn't take a genius to realize how stupid they'd look if they used "offending" materials in other parts of their operation. It's all one atmosphere, after all. It's all the same factory.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

My front logo is a mess. Glad to know there is some chance to get it replaced. I was just gonna slap a Dave Barton logo over it and call it a day. (He must have logos that cover the front logo, yes?)
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
      it's not pure marketing. And it's not only about one item with one adhesive. If they've decided to use environmentally-friendly materials in their painting operation, it doesn't take a genius to realize how stupid they'd look if they used "offending" materials in other parts of their operation. It's all one atmosphere, after all. It's all the same factory.
      NO, no, no. Paint operations are high volume, high concentration and high repetition and therefore high emmissions. The 1/8" wide by 3" with 1/8" caliper (total estimate) adhesive stripe constitutes microscopic volume, ? concentration and same high repetition. The first multiplier makes this very minimal usage and therefore very minimal emmission. This is marketing BS. There ain't no genius anywhere near this decision.

So we currently have two Volvos that were the absolute top of class at time of sale from Volvo. The S60 RD and the XC-90 V8 Executive. And both have lost their badges! I still haven't replaced the Executive sticker badges on the rear pillars and now the RD badge couldn't hang. THIS is the reason that VOLVO execs and manufacturing folks need to read our silly little forums. Because I triple dog dare them to go home and tell their spouses and kids (or write home to mom) that their products commonly lose the logo on the $50k vehicles.

It's sad that a cheaply made part can devalue the whole vehicle. The emblem is their most powerful advertising tool and yet they cheated out. I lost mine on my 2010 XC90 and originally thought someone stole it till close inspection revealed the emblem was a sticker. Shame on Volvo for this.

Wow....you ever considered all the other "expensive" cars that have the badges fall off....talk about grilling Volvo on the dumb stuff. It's been corrected a long time ago. Can we move on?

And yet it hasn't been corrected else all these folks writing wouldn't be telling us about it.

We're not saying the vehicles are bad, in fact given that most on the site love their vehicles I would say brand experience is good. The fact is other brands - I know mercedes and BMW have metal/plastic emblems, they may fall off but I doubt it, Volvo emblems are stickers or at least the most important part is.

I just had the badge "corrected" on our second Volvo in two months.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      I just had the badge "corrected" on our second Volvo in two months.
      And have your new badges with the new adhesive fallen off yet? Jeez.... So much for everyone wanting "environmentally friendly adhesives." If your biggest concern about Volvo is a little sticker falling off, you and I have very different priorities. If you aren't familiar, almost every brand uses adhesive stickers for logos and emblems.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post
      And have your new badges with the new adhesive fallen off yet? Jeez.... So much for everyone wanting "environmentally friendly adhesives." If your biggest concern about Volvo is a little sticker falling off, you and I have very different priorities. If you aren't familiar, almost every brand uses adhesive stickers for logos and emblems.
      Who said it was anyone's "biggest concern"? Besides you of course. This being a Volvo forum, it would be logical folks discuss VOLVO ISSUES. If BMW emblems are falling off, I would suspect that is discussed in BMW forum, certainly not here.

Lighten up dude. These posts aren't attacks on your manhood.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Just go in and get them replaced. Done. Warranty or not, I replace them for my customers. It's a small thing that means a lot, so we just get it done.
      2012 Ice-White R-Design BLIS, Premium Sound, Navigation
      19" Ixion reps, 245/35R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, H&R springs, H&R 15mm spacers , 3M carbon vinyl roof wrap, CAI, Heico Quad Exhaust & Diffuser w/Carbon insert, resonator delete/y-pipe, Heico Auto Shiftknob, IPD rear sway bar/endlinks, Polestar Pedals & Rear Spoiler, 2014+ TFT cluster, Eurosport Upper Strut Bar, Powerflex upper mount insert.

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
      My front logo is a mess. Glad to know there is some chance to get it replaced. I was just gonna slap a Dave Barton logo over it and call it a day. (He must have logos that cover the front logo, yes?)
      Yes but remove what's left of the original first unless you want the new sticker to fall off too. I even went as far as to lightly sand the area before sticking Dave's nicer looking sticker on.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

NO, no, no. Paint operations are high volume, high concentration and high repetition and therefore high emmissions. The 1/8" wide by 3" with 1/8" caliper (total estimate) adhesive stripe constitutes microscopic volume, ? concentration and same high repetition. The first multiplier makes this very minimal usage and therefore very minimal emmission. This is marketing BS. There ain't no genius anywhere near this decision.
      And I bet they buy the logo rather than making it themselves. And that company is facing EU regulations on VOC emmissions.

Take a look at a can of spray paint some time. California has their own rules for VOC. How many cans of spray paint are used there each year? And yet they've decided to implement regulations. Heck, there are places in the US where you're not allowed to burn wood in a fireplace because of particulate emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      Who said it was anyone's "biggest concern"? Besides you of course. This being a Volvo forum, it would be logical folks discuss VOLVO ISSUES. If BMW emblems are falling off, I would suspect that is discussed in BMW forum, certainly not here.

Lighten up dude. These posts aren't attacks on your manhood.
      No kidding.. this guy can't handle ANY Volvo criticism. While I agree with many of Farmers posts and take most of what he says in high regard, i have to disagree here. First off, who cares about Mercedes and BMW. What does that have to do with Volvo? Because they've had emblem problems it justifies Volvo's emblem problem? Or it's supposed to make Volvo owners feel better?
      I've seen many Volvo's missing the emblem and it looks like CRAP! It was bad enough in Volvo's eyes to start an extended warranty program on it.
      This is a perfect place to voice concern over issues like this. Lighten up is right.
      Last edited by loco-diablo; 01-14-2015 at 12:31 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast