2013 XC60 -lift gate made from fiberglass?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2013 XC60 -lift gate made from fiberglass?

As my luck would have it last week I witnesses, and very thankfully avoided being in, a car accident in the morning. However, fate deemed it my day for one! I was sitting at a stoplight a few blocks from my office on my way home for the day and BLAMO!...rear ended! Thankfully there were no injuries and the Volvo took the hit like a champ while I'm certain the Mustang that hit me is totaled.

To get to my question I took the car to several collision centers. At the first one the gentleman preparing the estimate was looking over the damage and had me open the rear liftgate. For fear it might not close I hadn't opened it since the accident but was surprised to see that it had cracked horizontally and vertically around the latch. The guy giving the estimate made a comment that it was fiberglass and that was normal after an accident and easily patched. We opted to go with another body shop that's replacing, rather than attempting to patch, the entire liftgate but curious if anyone knows for certain that the liftgate is made from fiberglass?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes. The top part is while the bottom is steel.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Yup.. confirmed it's made of fiberglass. I learned that at last year's Volvo Owner's Day. Until that day, I couldn't figure out why a magnet wouldn't adhere to the gate....
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for the info Grecian and Magic Marker. Good to see folks in the know in the collision repair business.

Early this past winter, I had a '10 T6 that took a pretty good hit in the rear from a Honda CRV. Not a dent, scratch or scuff on the XC, the woman driving the CRV didn't fare too well. Luckily, everyone involved was fine, but I actually felt bad for this woman, she definitely had significant damage, Volvo For Life!
      2013 C70 T5 Celestial Blue Pearl on Calcite - Purchased new on 10-17-13
      2016 V60 CC T5 AWD Crystal White Pearl over Beechwood/Charcoal - Purchased new (certified) on 1-12-18

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Yes. The top part is while the bottom is steel.
      The "whole" tailgate of the XC60 is fiberglass and there is no split....... that's on the XC90.

The fiberglass tailgates started with the wide body XC70's many moons ago.

Regards,

Michael

They started using fiberglass tailgates on 01 v70's and xc70's.
      1995 Jaguar XJ6 Topaz/Oatmeal
      No F*cks given build
      2002 v70 xc Polar White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap, BC BR Coilovers-Custom Build, M66 swap in waiting
      2014 s60 T5 Crystal White/Soft Beige
      Mods: 20in Niche M155, R-Design Bumper w/Cross Country Grill

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements