SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Need tires for my S60

11K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  mmustangsrus 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the new Bridgestone Run Flat DriveGuard tires? They have only been available a couple of months. I'm also considering the Bridgestone Turanza w/Serenity Plus.

The OEM Continentals are about gone with 33K miles.

I'm not interested in summer only tires or ultra ultra high performance all seasons that only last 20K.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
No, but I can tell you those two tires will feel very different than one another. Run flats have super stiff sidewalls and make the ride much harsher than any other type of tire, so unless you're dead set to have run flat tech, I would pass.

I would recommend the Serenity Plus or RE970 A/S. The latter a little more sporty but the Serenity is the best all around.

#3 ·
Harsh ride was my first thought on the Run Flats also but all of the articles I've read on-line indicate these are much better than previous run flats.

Thanks for the input!

#4 ·
They may be. I haven't driven on any recent run flats. I'm sure they are still harsher than standard tires but I'm not sure by how much on the modern versions.

Good luck!

#5 ·
Conti DWS

#8 ·
^^ The reviews on Tirerack are very favorable for the Conti DWS... They seem to have really good ratings for the snow as A/S. I'm looking at replacing my stock Conti ProContacts soon. Just about 30k on them. I didn't love the snow performance on them. I don't like runflats as they are more expensive. My boss has had them in the past (run flats in general) and they don't last very long and give a fairly harsh ride. I've also had conflicting opinions if you should/ shouldn't patch nail holes in a run flat.

#9 ·
+1 on the Michelin pilots. I'm ordering some tomorrow to replace the OEM Conti's at close to 30K.

#30 · (Edited)
+2 on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3......... I got 28K or so before I had a blow out on my OEM Conti's.......

#10 ·
Just replaced my tires with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. Absolutely love them! Excellent dry and wet traction, very quiet, grips nicely in the corners.

#13 ·
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.
Very quiet and the ride is way better than the Continental summers that came with my car. Being non-runflat I'm sure helps with that.
So far I'm impressed with the handling.
They do come with a 45,000 miles warranty (not that I will ever get that much out of them). Still, I'll get credit for the difference.

#15 ·
Well after 2 days of researching I narrowed down the choices to:

- Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus
- Continental PureContact with EcoPlus
- Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

I had the Continentals mounted yesterday on the way home.

Thanks of your input!

#20 ·
Those were my other choice. After looking at specs and reviews over and over and prices over and over, it came down to availability. The Pirellis were in stock, the Contis weren't.

Great choice! Keep us informed how they perform and how you like them!

#19 ·
81%. All the more reasons not to waste your money on that.

#18 ·
i love the conti-DWS awesome dry traction & cornering & i was suprised how well they did in the snow & ice this winter! but........ the luck i've had with them has been awful i've hit 3 things & has resulted in 3 blowouts thank you for road hazzard !!!! ALSO I'M AMAZED HOW WELL THE AWD handled it

#21 ·
After two days they seem like a good selection. Very quiet on the road compared to the original OEM Continentals. I don't drive with my foot mashed to the floor but dry handling seems good. Looks like I will have a chance to see how they handle in the rain this weekend!

#23 ·
I have had good experience with Yokohama YK580 from Discount Tire. Quiet, long lasting tire, handles well on dry or wet (no snow where I live).

#24 ·
With a few expections I'm a Michelin man, so would vote any Michelin tire. Since you're complaining about replacing tires at 33k (with my driving I would be elated at that mileage) I'd go Pilot Sport A/S 3 and forget run-flat, can't wait to ditch them off my BMW.

#25 ·
Reviving this thread as its the only one I can find to discuss the new Bridgestone Driveguard tires. They appear to have rave reviews on tire rack, and are designed to supposedly convinced owners of non-run flat tire OEM cars to switch. Has anyone tried them?
My original tires are shot, and from reviewing the previous discussions, the Michellin A/S 3, P7 and DWS seem to keep popping up, but if I go from the 235/40/18 to a 235/45/18 sidewall for increased comfort the load ratings become a concern. Which has led me to consider the new driveguard tires... Any input appreciated.

#26 ·
Reviving once again, I currently have the Driveguards fitted to my 13' S60 T6 AWD RD. Comfort wise they are just a bit harsher than the OEM Contis and they are very quiet at highway speeds, but are way better than the Contis on dry and wet surfaces, still there is some wheelspin out of a wet junction at WOT :D. Have tried them on gravel and mud, and the grip is there.
As far as thread life is concerned they have one of the most generous threads I've seen on a low profile tire, currently have done 20k kms on them, Rotation is reccomended.
As a past BMW owner I can say that the Driveguards are less harsher than the Contis RFT on my X5. I do recommend them because of the slightly above average performance and comfort, and the added benefit of not having to stop when you get a puncture and that the tick sidewalls provide enough sidewall protection. Especially when there is no spare, just the tire repair goo bootle, wich IMO is not worth anything at all, because when the previous tires had some sidewall damage I had to have the car towed on a flat bed.
They are no Michelin PSS but a good all rounder tire with RFT benefits.
Feel free to ask for any detail!
Sorry for my English.

#27 · (Edited)
Owner reviews are in my opinion always suspect as the owner is comparing their new tires to their old (worn out) tires. Hence, not comparing apples to apples. A person would need to drive with each new tire set for about a week or two to determine which are in their opinion is a better tire. But there are few if any retailers will let you do that. However non biased reviews are available from Consumer Reports and APA (in Canada) and maybe others, that do review tires across various manufacturers and rate them accordingly. This I think is more telling. Just my opinion and I'm not affiliated with any of the above organization.

#31 · (Edited)
Owner reviews are in my opinion always suspect as the owner is comparing their new tires to their old (worn out) tires. Hence, not comparing apples to apples.
I've always understood that less tread is actually a better performing tire (in the dry).
So a worn tire should perform as well as new as long as it is dry. (I do live in a dry climate
so I am biased to think of 'performance' as dry performance -- I suppose wet and snow
could not be compared between new and worn).

#28 ·
Well, my “Old” tires did not had the chance to wear out, as their life ended prematurely. But as chrisz said, that is my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I drive 20kmi per year so even at my advanced age in my mid 40's, I can still recall my tires from last year. I have been a tried and true Bridgestone and Firestone tire person for twenty plus years. My last set of Bridgestone tires vibrated so bad that I went for cheaper Falken tires and was impressed. When the Volvo need tires I was talked into Sumitomo's HTR tires and they are soooo quiet and no shakes. Handling is same as Michelins it came with. Now I don't push cars hard in corners due to my advanced age so maybe they don't handle 100% as well.

#32 ·
I think he's referring to the harshness of the tires. As the rubber compounds heat up and cool down during the tire's life it wears the compound and makes the tire more harsher than a brand new fresh one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Has anyone had a chance to run the new version of the DWS? I think it's the DWS06.

I'm very disappointed with the amount of road noise in my T6 with the stock Contis; it's a very loud highway car which came as a surprise in a car with luxury aspirations. I had the older DWS on my previous car and loved their overall set of attributes and I've read reviews/ TR survey results that would suggest the 06 version is quieter. Any other recommendations for extremely quiet all seasons? I'm less concerned about cornering grip but decent snow traction, good ride quality, and very low road noise are essential to me.

#35 ·
Milestar any good?

hi all,

I got an used 2015 V60 with two front ties by an not-so-well-known brand with lots of threads left. It's Milestar MS932 All Season. Two rear tires are stock. Any one has experience with Milestar? Is it noisy compared to stock ties? They seems got good review at Amazon - but I want ask some actual Volvo owners. I am thinking if I should just replace all four tires with same brand.

Thanks in advance.
Ken

#38 ·
hi all,

I got an used 2015 V60 with two front ties by an not-so-well-known brand with lots of threads left. It's Milestar MS932 All Season. Two rear tires are stock. Any one has experience with Milestar? Is it noisy compared to stock ties? They seems got good review at Amazon - but I want ask some actual Volvo owners. I am thinking if I should just replace all four tires with same brand.

Thanks in advance.
Ken
I dont have any experience with them, but they arent sold on TireRack, which is a red flag for me. I wouldnt trust Amazon, they may be good for many things, but probably not for tire reviews, IMO. A good set of tires is critical for safety, since they are the only part of the car that touches the road. I would get 4 new ones, and enjoy the car.

#39 ·
Mismatched tires? I'd definitely replace with 4 fresh ones from a reputable manufacturer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.