SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Lost Key and FOB

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  J5T 
#1 ·
Ok, wife lost the only FOB and one of the keys to our 2002 V70 2.4T. (I still have one more key)
Went to the local dealership (Volvo of Greenville (SC)).
Replacement Key Blank $45, software for key $22, Key FOB $97, software for FOB $22, Programming both $135.
Needless to say, for the dealership to replace both the key and the FOB is $300 :eek: . they did offer to cut the key for free :rolleyes:

My question is I did not think my key had a transponder chip in it, so why would it need to be programmed?
and I read somewhere that depending on the Rear View Mirror, I can reprogram a new FOB myself.
The FOB I had was part# 8685150OE.

Is there another way to do this without all the dealership stuff or am I just stuck?
I am not adverse to going the dealership route, just would like a less expensive option if possible.

#2 ·
That's pretty cheap, another guy was quoted almost $500.
All the keys have transponders in them for the immobilizer. In the case of the fob, the transponder is located in the upper portion of the fob along with the popout key.

You need to have a VIDA subscription and the related hardware to download new software for the key onto your car, which costs more than just buying the key..

#5 ·
Each part (key and remote) has separate software
Dealer pays for it thus you do too
It's called life, deal with it

#8 ·
Ok, this is a good price for Volvo. Some oem can do keys and fobs for a whole lot less than Volvo. Some fobs you can program yourself without any equipment but is not the case with Volvo. Volvo makes it difficult and costly to get replacement keys and fobs. Glück

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.