lifetime transmission oil???
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

lifetime transmission oil???

Sorry everyone, need your advice before paying $500 next week!!!

Do we need , or highly recommended or else, replacing the Automatic transmission fluids?
      Mercedes recommend 50k km for transmission oil. Volvo I could not find in manual any regular service , apart from heavy towing advice every 75km and did not look essential

Heard the ATF is lifetime?
      Booked in Volvo service next week, the man did not seem to be certain a transmission fluid change is needed anyway.
      Has 125 k on it, intend to keep the car another 2 years roughly speaking.

Is it essential? or not... Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ok, this is a very common misconception. Volvo claims there fluid is lifetime (100k miles). But it is not possible for any existent transmission fluid to last even close to that long without serious degradation and debris.
      It's recommended you replace your fluid every 35k for maximum transmission performance and life. No need to pay such an absurd amount of money for a fluid change at a dealership. Just buy some compatible Toyota transmission fluid and pay another cheaper reputable shop to do it for you. Just my .02

Fluid is Toyota T-IV. I'm assuming you have a P2 Volvo? The transmissions Volvo uses are made by the same company that makes transmissions for Toyota if I'm correct.

Best of luck!
      01 XC70
      Mods:B5254T2-R engine,Green Giants, 16t Turbo, NGK Plugs, Snabb Piping, Custom Treadstone Intercooler. JZW tune,OBX 3" Downpipe, Catless Flowmaster w/ side exits, monotone paint, R Brembos,BBS 19" wheels, and most importantly a spoiler

He has an XC60 so this may take different fluid, I'm not sure, but do change it
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

At 125k, change it now.

Money in the bank.

No need to pay $500. That's just insane. Get a reasonable price and ask your service department's MANAGER if they can match it.

If you've been bringing your car in for it's entire life, you should have some goodwill built up........
      2013 XC 60 T6 R-Design

I'm drooling allover the new XC90. I hate to spend too much money and replace the vehicle in 1.5-2 years. Am also concerned to some degree about quality of work, even from a certified Volvo dealer.There is a small risk the transmission could fail more if accidents during filling happen. Where I am, very little consumer rights you can get, each on his own. Mind you, it is 125K km( about 75k miles).

ok: I found this: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/20...nty-Manual.pdf

I actually purchased timing and auxiliary belt, looks like I might replace them next service.
      Last edited by ayman; 06-04-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cs057 View Post
      Ok, this is a very common misconception. Volvo claims there fluid is lifetime (100k miles). But it is not possible for any existent transmission fluid to last even close to that long without serious degradation and debris.
      Both myself and both Volvo dealers in MN would disagree. Neither dealer will change your transmission fluid at that age no matter how much you beg unless it's a last ditch attempt to fix an actual problem rather than a healthy well-behaved transmission. There are plenty of 6 speed autos going over 200k miles just fine on original fluid you know... (see the S80/XC90/XC70 forums where these transmissions have been around quite a few years longer than on the XC60).

The only fluid changing Volvo recommends is every 30k miles or so from new (recommended for heavy duty uses). Doing your first change at 100k miles or more is very likely to cause problems because gunk that has settled to the bottom of the casing will get stirred up and can clog things and cause problems. Plus I bet most DIY or non-dealer fluid changes do not do it the right way so an underfill is likely plus you don't reset the TCM fluid counter... what's that you say?...

The TCM actually has a fluid adaptation counter than monitors the health of the fluid and changes how the transmission physically behaves as the fluid ages. Every part of this system (software, hardware, fluid) has been designed to last a long time with fluid aging accounted for. I would never recommend changing fluid except as a last ditch attempt to fix a problem that otherwise would need a valve body or transmission replacement.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

I had my gearbox oil replaced this spring, car had ran 100000km at the time. I noticed a difference in how smoothly the gears were shifting after the change, so it can definetly not be bad thing to get it replaced. Nothing wrong with it before I replaced the oil, but it works better afterwards. I definetly recomend it!

The European service schema says it should be replaced for Taxi and other heavy duty cars every 60000km.
      --> Terra Bronze XC60 T6 AWD P* and a Raw Copper V40CC D2<--

I am not sure which country the OP is from, but it would be nice to know what engine/transmission combo he has.

I have TF80SC tranny in my car. In some markets (e.g. USA) Volvo claims "lifetime transmission fluid" for that transmission. In others, it recommends replacing it every 70,000 km. My car currently has 132,000 km. I replaced the transmission fluid at 70k, then at 130k km. I can definitely feel that it shifts much smoother.
      2008 V70 2.5T Polestar
      2011 XC60 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
      I had my gearbox oil replaced this spring, car had ran 100000km at the time. I noticed a difference in how smoothly the gears were shifting after the change, so it can definetly not be bad thing to get it replaced. Nothing wrong with it before I replaced the oil, but it works better afterwards. I definetly recomend it!

The European service schema says it should be replaced for Taxi and other heavy duty cars every 60000km.
      +1
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Question No Transmission Dipstick Either???

The maintenance schedule for our new MY15 XC60 recommends changing the fluid only for cars that are towing, but to check the transmission oil every 50K miles. But the Aisin 8 speed transaxle has no dipstick that I can see! There is a big torx-drive plug on top..does that have a dipstick attached?
      The owner's manual doesn't say how to check it, in fact is mostly silent on the whole subject of transmission lubrication, but does list AW-1 fluid and "Under normal driving conditions the transmission oil does not need changing during its service life. However, it may be necessary under adverse driving conditions.".
      The Drive-E T6 engine has no dipstick either, but has an electronic sensor with bar graph readout. Does the transaxle have a similar sensor?
      ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED!
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed
      2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

this question about lifetime transmission fluid has been asked many times in another forum i frequent and it has had mixed reviews. basically half of the people said it's good to change it and half said it's detrimental to change it. i'd go with whatever the owners manual says.

Interesting. When I purchased my first Volvo an S80 in 2000, I was told the transmission was sealed and the fluid couldn't be changed.

Let's put it this way. The title to this thread is an oxymoron.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Quote Originally Posted by 355 lbft View Post
      this question about lifetime transmission fluid has been asked many times in another forum i frequent and it has had mixed reviews. basically half of the people said it's good to change it and half said it's detrimental to change it. i'd go with whatever the owners manual says.
      It has also been asked many many many many many times on this forum.
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Quote Originally Posted by Twindy View Post
      Interesting. When I purchased my first Volvo an S80 in 2000, I was told the transmission was sealed and the fluid couldn't be changed.
      Not quite correct (read your owner's manual) but for vehicles not doing towing, Volvo has recommended to never change the transmission fluid since the P2 cars starting with the S80 in 2000 and many more models the following year. You'd think if not changing was a big problem Volvo would have realized that in 15 years. Gosh, maybe 15 years of it proves that never changing is usually the right thing to do?
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

The thread on harsh shifting on the Russian XC60 forum always seems to be near the top of the list.

http://www.xc60-club.ru/xcforum/showthread.php?t=2093

Most people there have diesel engines, but as you know the torque generated by these plants is actually comparable to T6 gasoline variant. Lots of folks complain about hard shifts. Many had transmission software updated, which helped in some cases, but did not help in others. Some even had valve bodies and entire trannies replaced under warranty. The general consensus is that it is better to do one or more drain-and-fills at around 60-70k km if one wants the transmission to last.

For reference, I am in the Middle East market, where we have only two engine choices on the XC60 (both gasoline) T5, and T6. The climate is very hot, so the maintenance schedule here calls for fluid change (for TF80SC) at 70k km intervals. I have a V70 with TF80SC and an XC60 with Powershift, but I have seen V70 models with TF80SC transmission logging well over 300k km here in about 3 years as taxi cars. So do make sure to maintain your car and it will last a long time

ayman, my opinion is that it is worth doing the replacement, but $500 is too much. Try finding a better deal.
      2008 V70 2.5T Polestar
      2011 XC60 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by OlegShv View Post
      The thread on harsh shifting on the Russian XC60 forum always seems to be near the top of the list.

The general consensus is that it is better to do one or more drain-and-fills at around 60-70k km if one wants the transmission to last.

So do make sure to maintain your car and it will last a long time
      +1
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

There is much discussion on this subject in this forum. Some of it is well advised and some not so much. As a retired auto tech who has rebuilt automatic transmissions, I suggest replacement of the ATF at least every 50K miles. There is a lot going on inside an automatic transmission box that depends heavily on the lubrication qualities of the ATF and the pressure quality of the ATF. There was a time when these transmission had filters but the modern Volvo transmissions do not, thus making it even more critical to change the fluid. Not only does changing the fluid put new lubricant in the box, but it also allows any sediment in the bottom to drain out. Many who have changed their fluid have mentioned that their transmissions shifted smoother afterwards, which to me verifies a good reason to replace it with fresh fluid. One caution though, it needs to be done correctly. One final note - I had a '73 P1800ES with an automatic transmission that I serviced every 50K miles and when I sold it with over 300k miles the transmission had never been repaired and still shifted very well!

Quote Originally Posted by gorj View Post
      There is much discussion on this subject in this forum. Some of it is well advised and some not so much. As a retired auto tech who has rebuilt automatic transmissions, I suggest replacement of the ATF at least every 50K miles. There is a lot going on inside an automatic transmission box that depends heavily on the lubrication qualities of the ATF and the pressure quality of the ATF. There was a time when these transmission had filters but the modern Volvo transmissions do not, thus making it even more critical to change the fluid. Not only does changing the fluid put new lubricant in the box, but it also allows any sediment in the bottom to drain out. Many who have changed their fluid have mentioned that their transmissions shifted smoother afterwards, which to me verifies a good reason to replace it with fresh fluid. One caution though, it needs to be done correctly. One final note - I had a '73 P1800ES with an automatic transmission that I serviced every 50K miles and when I sold it with over 300k miles the transmission had never been repaired and still shifted very well!
      +1
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Savile Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      2010 Ford Ranger
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

Just changed the ATF with Aisin WS on my 2105.5 at 39k miles. Did three drain and refills as I didn't want to mess with the external cooler connections as they're not easy to access. Mostly freeway miles but some stop and go traffic at 115 deg F and very little trailer towing. Didn't do an oil analysis but visually doesn't impress. Shifts seem a bit smoother but it could be imaginary.

Next step is to have the dealer reset the adaptation counter at the 40k service. I suspect that they'll look at me suspiciously as their parts department didn't even carry the replacement O-rings and crush washers in stock.

http://flickr.com/photos/azlkk/28844...dateposted-ff/
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. Koni Special Active struts/shocks, IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

Motul DCTF for Powershift gearbox?

Hi guys,

New owner of a 2010 XC60 2.0T with a Powershift gearbox here. I'm looking to do a transmission fluid change and would like to ask if anybody has experience or thoughts on using the Motul DCTF (dual clutch transmission fluid) for this particular Powershift gearbox? The technical specs states it satisfies Volvo BOT 341 standards (https://www.motul.com/system/product...df?1446825833) but just wanted to ask around before doing so.

Reason for the Motul fluid is that it is significantly cheaper than Volvo's own fluid where I'm from due to very high mark-ups by distributors here; and I've had very good experience with Motul's engine oil and ATF on my previous cars.

Appreciate any opinions on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Azlkk View Post
      Just changed the ATF with Aisin WS on my 2105.5 at 39k miles. Did three drain and refills as I didn't want to mess with the external cooler connections as they're not easy to access. Mostly freeway miles but some stop and go traffic at 115 deg F and very little trailer towing. Didn't do an oil analysis but visually doesn't impress. Shifts seem a bit smoother but it could be imaginary.

Next step is to have the dealer reset the adaptation counter at the 40k service. I suspect that they'll look at me suspiciously as their parts department didn't even carry the replacement O-rings and crush washers in stock.

http://flickr.com/photos/azlkk/28844...dateposted-ff/

I plan on replacing the transmission oil at 30-35k miles on my 2017. I just wished it was as easy as it was on my 2007 XC70. If I can't find a good DIY flushing procedure, then I'll do the three drain and refill procedure. There's no way I'm leaving the fluid in there for 100k.

The change was easy enough, even with the IPD skid plate left in place. A narrow funnel and a hose made the filling simple and quick. I did find that the small center drain plug takes very little torque to tighten and if you over-tighten it the Torx head strips out very easily.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. Koni Special Active struts/shocks, IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

Thanks for the tips Azlkk.

I've seen many reports from people who changed ATF (drain/fill) on their volvos. Almost all commented on how dirty the old ATF looked. Looks like a simple drain/refill every 30 to 40K miles is a good idea. The 8-speed transmission on newer volvos TG-81SC (Aisin AWF8F35) is used by several other makes. There are instructions/videos on how to do drain/fill. The "dipstick" is there but it'a part of the drain plug: torx bolt - the ATF level controll tube and regular 17mm nut - drain plug.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 T5e w/Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by Novichek View Post
      I've seen many reports from people who changed ATF (drain/fill) on their volvos. Almost all commented on how dirty the old ATF looked. Looks like a simple drain/refill every 30 to 40K miles is a good idea. The 8-speed transmission on newer volvos TG-81SC (Aisin AWF8F35) is used by several other makes. There are instructions/videos on how to do drain/fill. The "dipstick" is there but it'a part of the drain plug: torx bolt - the ATF level controll tube and regular 17mm nut - drain plug.
      This is good info and I agree 100% that it's not a bad idea to regularly service the transmission fluid. Now I need to search for those instructions/videos.

I'm changing my V60's at 50K since we'll be keeping it for awhile. I think a shorter interval is overkill.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Most people there have diesel engines, but as you know the torque generated by these plants is actually comparable to T6 gasoline variant. Lots of folks complain about hard shifts. Many had transmission software updated, which helped in some cases, but did not help in others. Some even had valve bodies and entire trannies replaced under warranty. The general consensus is that it is better to do one or more drain-and-fills at around 60-70k km if one wants the transmission to last.

For reference, I am in the Middle East market, where we have only two engine choices on the XC60 (both gasoline) T5, and T6. The climate is very hot, so the maintenance schedule here calls for fluid change (for TF80SC) at 70k km intervals. I have a V70 with TF80SC and an XC60 with Powershift, but I have seen V70 models with TF80SC transmission logging well over 300k km here in about 3 years as taxi cars. So do make sure to maintain your car and it will last a long time

ayman, my opinion is that it is worth doing the replacement, but $500 is too much. Try finding a better deal.
      And may I ask what is the intervals for your XC60 with Powershift transmission?

Great video now available on the 8-speed transaxles, including how to check oil level!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJag View Post
      The maintenance schedule for our new MY15 XC60 recommends changing the fluid only for cars that are towing, but to check the transmission oil every 50K miles. But the Aisin 8 speed transaxle has no dipstick that I can see! There is a big torx-drive plug on top..does that have a dipstick attached?
      The owner's manual doesn't say how to check it, in fact is mostly silent on the whole subject of transmission lubrication, but does list AW-1 fluid and "Under normal driving conditions the transmission oil does not need changing during its service life. However, it may be necessary under adverse driving conditions.".
      The Drive-E T6 engine has no dipstick either, but has an electronic sensor with bar graph readout. Does the transaxle have a similar sensor?
      ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED!
      There is now a great video available from Weber State University describing the 8-speed transaxle in impressive detail. It includes info on how to check oil level. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehgwf_C5zgY.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      +1
      Harsh environments (Texas heat, Sydney heat) tend to abuse fluids.
      Lifetime Fluid - whose warranty, whose lifetime, whose wallet.
      2010 XC60 White: P*, Shifter retro, 3 spoke steering wheel retro.
      2001 S40 : 14T, BBTB, 3" Stainless Turbo back DP, Upsolute, KW Coilovers, 17" Konigs, Mistu Calipers & Rotors, 3 spoke steering wheel upgrade, Custom Arctic Silver and Sonic Blue Paint, Custom Upholstry

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      Both myself and both Volvo dealers in MN would disagree. Neither dealer will change your transmission fluid at that age no matter how much you beg unless it's a last ditch attempt to fix an actual problem rather than a healthy well-behaved transmission. There are plenty of 6 speed autos going over 200k miles just fine on original fluid you know... (see the S80/XC90/XC70 forums where these transmissions have been around quite a few years longer than on the XC60).

The only fluid changing Volvo recommends is every 30k miles or so from new (recommended for heavy duty uses). Doing your first change at 100k miles or more is very likely to cause problems because gunk that has settled to the bottom of the casing will get stirred up and can clog things and cause problems. Plus I bet most DIY or non-dealer fluid changes do not do it the right way so an underfill is likely plus you don't reset the TCM fluid counter... what's that you say?...

The TCM actually has a fluid adaptation counter than monitors the health of the fluid and changes how the transmission physically behaves as the fluid ages. Every part of this system (software, hardware, fluid) has been designed to last a long time with fluid aging accounted for. I would never recommend changing fluid except as a last ditch attempt to fix a problem that otherwise would need a valve body or transmission replacement.
      Agreed. The mileage is too high. I had mine done at around 75k miles. I bought my 2010 xc60 t6 used with 72k on her. I remember the service guy telling me that I do it now or never. Forked over about $290 and am very happy. Done at a dealer. FWIW, the shifting greatly improved after it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also located in the Middle East with temperatures in summer reaching 50C. I have a 2010 XC60 T6 TF80SC transmission. Did my first transmission fluid change 2 weeks ago at 80,000km. A single drain and fill. Felt the transmission smoother and working fine.

The oil was deep red but with slight hint of burnt smell. Otherwise, the mechanic said the fluid is still good.

subscribing
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

I bought toyota type IV fluid for my xc60 T6 r design for about $26 the seal and o ring from dealer and changed it on my own for a grand total of about $45.00
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

We aren’t there on the xc60, but 70k miles was the time our xc70 needed fresh fluid. So much for 100k intervals. The xc70 lifetime was 103k thanks to a drunk.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements