main radio unit (find it on back roof trunk side) and all photos
is here.

When you need to listen phone music just put radio mode on AM
or FM and voila. When you wont to listen radio just pull plug out
of your mobile phone.

I install this today and its work fine. Now I will just pull one long cable
audio to middle box or you can put also wireless small modules cheap
on ebay.

Enjoy finaly long music from your phones, MP3 Players ect...

See less See more
Reactions: Goti
#32 ·
Thank you for taking the time to update the pics Hong Kong... I'll give 'er a go one of these days!

:thumbup:

#33 ·
And an 'extra' thumbs up for the Volvo Accessories installation link too!!

Just bookmarked that baby.

Nice work. :thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: Hong Kong
#35 ·
I just did this and it's working fine although AM has no audio when the AUX cable is disconnected from the audio source (AUX audio is produced when jack is plugged into an audio source, but silence when it's removed). FM1 and FM2 work just fine (radio audio is produced when jack is unplugged, AUX audio is produced when the audio source is plugged in). Not a big deal for me (never listened to AM much) but has anyone else noted this? Would be interesting to get the radio schematic and have a look at what R9 does. Besides that, sound is great and all the speakers work just like they should. REALLY convenient to be able to have AUX in a 2005 single CD changer vehicle without having to break into MOST.

Thank you !

#36 ·
ggleavitt - Im happy to hear that you are sadisfied with AUX. R9 cut only signal from AM modulator to main unit nothing else.
I think that no one use any more AM mode. Of course when you plug audio source signal is accepted and vice versa. In
any other way will be some intereferences or background noise or signals. Schematics I supose is very difficult to find.
The only way is to read CHIPs on board, find what function doign this chip, looking for input/output signals ect...
When you place cable in middle box pls. made some photos for everyone.

#37 ·
Thanks for response, now it makes sense why the AM does not have sound on it's own but FM1 and FM2 do. It's good to know as there are still people who listen to AM radio here in the US and it is one thing to consider when doing this job. I have a 3.5mm male to 2 RCA male 20 ft long pre-made cable that I ran from the radio through the headliner and down into the glove compartment. There is about 5 feet spare so maybe I'll take it to the center console but for the moment I'll leave the cable where it is. Once I decide a permanent mounting place, I'll take some photos. Works great and thanks again for posting this!

#38 ·
If you dont cut r9 line (not resistor but line came from R9) as soon you remove source of signal / music
you will be able to listen AM radio mode - but 99% of people dont listen AM any more.
To explane to talibans AM mean Aplitude modulation and FM means Frequency modulation.
AM mode is used before they invent FM mode.
One friend told me that he didnt cut R9 line and he dont have any background music or interference
as soon he atach signal from Mp3 player.

But trust me it will be totaly ugly when Mp3 stop or you pull it out to listen this AM radio
bcs. if you are in town AM sometimes can be disaster of noice and scratching sounds.

I cut r9 line and I never use AM mode will be the same to back to 1960' with sound quality.
Our cars dont deserve this. :whistle:

#39 ·
Important note !!!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Im kindly asking everyone who is doing the same work to take care to NOT :nono: place audio cable from modules to
glove or middle box compartment in any vicinity, crossing or touching any of AIR BAGS in our cars.

Please take care that AIRBAGS must be avoid and you can easily find a route to middle box or to glove compartment
avoiding airbags going away from them, under the seats, on middle row, under the plastics under the door ect.

I will in next days try to made some photos where is the safe to place audio cable without going near Airbags.
I will pull some plastics near doors to be more clear. Its easy job - pulling out plastics fantastics covers.:eek::D

Drive safe and enjoy in music. Sorry that I forgot to mention more visible (i do once) this important thing.

#40 · (Edited)
Hong Kong, thank you for sharing this mod with us. I just did it and it took me an hour. I went ahead and cut the motherboard circuit by "R9" as you had indicated...works great!!!
If anyone has any ideas on how to route the wire to the front please let us know. Thank you.

UPDATE: I was able to route the aux cable. I just moved it to the right of the headliner, and then all along the weatherstrip. Once I reached the front pillar I removed the access panel to the right of the glove box and then routed the cable right into it. Took 5 minutes.

#41 ·
Thanks for the update nelaco... I'll keep that routing in mind when I do attempt this mod. I'll get to it in about a week or so. I have a week off work coming soon, so I'll try to do it then.

Not sure how you did it in an hour... but congrats! I'm expecting it to take most of a day, but that's because I don't want to F anything up. :whistle:

Take care.

#42 · (Edited)
As Hong Kong noted earlier, one key aspect of this work is to use a very small tip soldering iron. If you go into this with a chisel tip cheap-o iron from the 'Shack, you're not going to be at all happy with the result. And, if you don't know how to solder reasonably well, best to take the radio unit with parts and instructions to a local TV repair shop and have someone do it for you. It'll be worth the time and effort. This job is NOT the place to learn how to solder. As far as routing, Hong Kong is correct in being aware for where the airbags are in this vehicle. They literally run the length of the roofline on both sides from the back of the rear side window to the dash (think curtain). There are probably 4-5 ways to do this and hopefully someone will document the safest and most reasonable route. On another note, I did find a pretty decent flush mount connector, have one on order and will post photos for where I put it when all is said and done: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/accessories/flush_mount_3_5mm_female_auxilary_cable_2ft.html

#43 ·
Im really glad to see all positive feedbacks but guys I have tested something that even new dash board display in new
xc can be jelaous...hahaha

I tested today on Samsung Galaxy III. MUSIC VOICE COMMANDS and its work great Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Play. Stop.Forward.Back. ect. Even command Blondie Stop
working ;))))

#44 · (Edited)
As an update, I did get the gromaudio flush mount connector (item in post noted above) and installed it in the same place as the 2007+ (top rear of cupholder). Not smart enough to post my own photos but you can get an idea of where this is by the following link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/bluextc89/2010-07-16_022946_volvo.gif . Used a few drills up in size to get the fit right (31/64 [12.3mm] was the last one), pushed everything down tight and did a drop of glue on the other side just for the heck of it. Connected the male 3.5mm jack from the 20ft cable I ran a week or so ago from radio to center console and taped them (again for the heck of it). Everything is buttoned up now and it works like a charm.
Thanks again !

**Update to my update, 7/28/14- Had very poor luck with the gromaudio flush mount connector, it is of poor quality and flush mount jack does not allow the audio plug to go in solidly. Ended up replacing with a flush mount adapter from a kit (iSimple IS335), much better build quality but has a male connector on the other end so you'll need a female to female adapter if you use an RCA female to 3.5mm male cable like I did to get from radio to console. FWIW, still works great and the sound is excellent !

#45 ·
Thank you for posting! Great write up!

I just did the mod and is working fine, except for the R9 cut. My 2004 xc90 has a different version of the board (see pics). I followed the instruction and pinpointed the two .22 50v condensators C301 and C401 where to attach the left and right audio input and it is working great. Even though the layout is different, I took an educated guess and also cut the R9 line to C14 condensator, but this is not working. I still can hear the AM radio in the background.

I'm posting some pictures of my board and any advice/help is welcomed before I start butchering my board.

#47 ·
Hi Guys and little late reply...Im happy to see that many of you just DO IT.
After many months this AUX is working perfect and was tested good.
Enjoy in preferred music and sound in your car...

#50 ·
Thanks for great guide HongKong. I tried it, but it wasnt a success...
First of all i think i manged to cut the wrong "line". Not the R9...

See image. I cut the wrong place, where the arrow is. Is there any way to "fix" this? The head unit is not turning on at all, so im not sure if that is the only reason, or something else? Any ideas?

Thanks!

#52 ·
Hi. I have a January built 2007 xc90 v8 with dynaudio system. Went to attempt the aux upgrade (RCA solder in job) but when I pulled down the rear plastics to expose all the electrics hidden in the roof I found none. Is my system different. Do I just lash out and buy a Bluetooth adaptor. Seen on eBay some other inline adaptors but not sure if they will work with my setup. eBay descriptions don't state my head unit just year of the car. Help

Anthony bossy

#55 ·
Hi. I have a January built 2007 xc90 v8 with dynaudio system. Went to attempt the aux upgrade (RCA solder in job) but when I pulled down the rear plastics to expose all the electrics hidden in the roof I found none. Is my system different. Do I just lash out and buy a Bluetooth adaptor. Seen on eBay some other inline adaptors but not sure if they will work with my setup. eBay descriptions don't state my head unit just year of the car. Help

Anthony bossy
Im really sorry to see now your problem. I will check and as allways tried to help. As I know already over 18 owners made it with success and the only problem they had was cheap chargers powering usb sticks mp3 players or phones...if phone is without cigarette lighter charger no bzzzzzz. Quality filtration need for chargers. Most chinese crap chargers dont have it for cars. I open many...simple noise filtration unit cost few bucks. Installed behind cigarette lighter plug so simple...

Sent from my typing machine Olimpia ;)

#54 ·
I did the aux mod and works great except if I have the aux plugged into a device and then plugin a usb charge cable from the cig lighter adapter to the device, I get a static noise like a ground loop buzz. Has anyone else had this issue?
Sorry for very late reply...yes cheap chinese chargers produce noise as filtration of voltage is poor. I have original Samsung charger and no isuee. You can find better quality chargers for any cigarettelighter plug...

Sent from my typing machine Olimpia ;)

#56 ·
Decided to save a few bucks and get the aftermarket centre speaker mount DVD player now. That way I can get reverse camera, gps, Bluetooth media and hands free all in one. It doesn't look as classy as the oem set up but I think it's less trouble and cheaper than getting used parts to option up our car. Has anyone had any experience with the aftermarket speaker mount system. About $850aud on eBay.

Anthony bossy

#58 ·
Hi Honk Kong
What a great effort you have made with this very detailed write up, thank you for showing us how we don't have to be held to ransome by Volvo every time we want to improve things with our cars.
Unfortunately, I am of the clutz class when it comes to electrical work and just looking at all your various electrical board photo's I feel quite dizzy and there is no way I can even contemplate this work.
My situation is that I just need to be able to connect my Iphone 4 or iPad to the iPod input socket and to just play from my mixed selection on Andora, is this possible or is there more to it than that :confused:
Thanks again