main radio unit (find it on back roof trunk side) and all photos
is here.

When you need to listen phone music just put radio mode on AM
or FM and voila. When you wont to listen radio just pull plug out
of your mobile phone.

I install this today and its work fine. Now I will just pull one long cable
audio to middle box or you can put also wireless small modules cheap
on ebay.

Enjoy finaly long music from your phones, MP3 Players ect...

See less See more
Reactions: Goti
#87 · (Edited)
Hello all,

How is the sound quality when using AM mode? Thinking of doing this in our XC90. Currently have the Sirius inline with the FM antenna trace (FM direct adapter), and sound is okay, but not great. Ruined most FM reception though, only get one station...

So, is the quality near CD quality when using AM mode with this mod?

Also, do you necessarily HAVE to disconnect to return to FM, or will killing the source (i.e., turning off the Sirius receiver) do the trick?

Thanks!

Joe

#88 ·
I've been using mine on AM, and it sounds good, overall. Maybe not quite as good as GROM would offer, but definitely closer to CD quality. Starting with a road trip yesterday, I started using FM, since I really missed the sound of the Pro Logic system. I can kinda deal with hearing the FM station coming through a little.

I haven't unplugged mine, but everyone says it has to be unplugged to listen to FM radio.

Calling Hong Kong! Any idea if we can cut the feed for FM similar to the R9 for AM?

#91 ·
I've been using mine on AM, and it sounds good, overall. Maybe not quite as good as GROM would offer, but definitely closer to CD quality. Starting with a road trip yesterday, I started using FM, since I really missed the sound of the Pro Logic system. I can kinda deal with hearing the FM station coming through a little.

I haven't unplugged mine, but everyone says it has to be unplugged to listen to FM radio.

Calling Hong Kong! Any idea if we can cut the feed for FM similar to the R9 for AM?
Yes there is the inline imput also for FM but Im not suggesting to totaly cut off as on the same signal its also Rti signal and this can have impact on Navi as navi also use Rti signal if you go to menu of rti navi you can find that they use some stations for receive signals what rti navi need. Please do not think about as i know chips and system simply im not reccomending. [emoji12] [emoji341] [emoji343]
Better to install on power 5Volts charger good radio and interference filtration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#89 ·
So, in theory, what happens if you don't cut the R9 feed at all? Can you simply tune to an open AM station and avoid background noise?

Just thinking down the road. We don't use AM at all, but never know when we'd want to catch a drive-in movie, etc...

Thanks all,

Joe

#90 ·
You'll most likely have background noise on AM if you don't cut the line. Even a blank station will produce static that you'll hear.

#93 ·
Going to attempt this tonight wish me luck everyone! Lol

One other question. Does anyone know for sure if the tuner module is swappable between cars? Assume so, but wanted to check. I have a spare that I will probably try the "surgery" on, so I can keep the original just in case...

Thanks!

Joe

#94 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if they're interchangeable between models. I believe there was a change in the XC90's sometime for either 2004 or 2005, as someone posted on here about theirs being setup differently than what was pictured.

In hindsight, I wish I would've done mine differently. I'd recommend using a short set of RCAs for the soldering, and use connectors to connect that to the longer set going to the front. That'll make it much easier if you have to remove it for any reason.

#96 ·
Ok all, it's done :).

Did this Saturday before our trip, and it works great. Almost seems like the channels are backward, even though I soldered as advised. Very few songs have any differentiating parts, so doubt anyone will notice lol. Noticed the radio on Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" intro was in the LH channel, supposed to be RH. But no biggie :)

Do have an alternator whine though, and it's not related to this, but hope someone can help. I ran a male 3.5 to the console for the iPod, and it's whisper quiet. However, when I connect the Sirius receiver (uses a 3.5 extension with female end in the console), then the alternator hum appears. It's power source is the lighter circuit, but is hardwired below the steering wheel. Think a ground loop isolator will help here, or?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the awesome write-up HK!

Joe

Reactions: Hong Kong
#97 ·
Easy fix for reversed channels - swap the RCA cables at your AUX port... problem solved. ;)

Yes, ground loop isolator will solve the problem, as far as the whine. I did a 3.5mm version. The problem is, the radio stations will be clearly heard, but at reduced volume. If you cut the R9 for AM, you can use that. If you have Dolby Pro Logic II, you won't with AM. I tuned FM to a dead station, so I just hear faint static. It's still better than alternator whine.

The whine seems to come from just about any powered audio source, and trying a billion different chargers until I find one that won't produce it isn't an option for me. I'll use the solution I have until Hong Kong can provide more details on cutting the FM feed. As I mentioned above, mine doesn't have navigation to worry about.

#98 · (Edited)
Thanks, Red.

I didn't use RCA's, as I didn't see the recommendation above until after I had purchased cables. So I'm soldered directly from the 3.5 to the back. No biggie, I'm the only one who'll notice for sure lol

My whine is definitely alternator, gone with the engine off and changes with RPM. That the whine you had too, or? Limited info online about an isolator working for that type of noise, we shall see I guess.

Using AM, so no worries there. Cut the R9, too. We have no PLII, but can see why you'd want to use the FM if yours is equipped.

Thanks,

Joe

P.S. - Worthy of mentioning, is that the Sirius has been installed since '13 but was using an FM direct adapter before (soldered in at the FM plug going into the antenna module). Was no whine before, and power source hasn't changed. Maybe the tuner was filtering it out before?

#99 ·
Thanks, Red.

I didn't use RCA's, as I didn't see the recommendation above until after j had purchased cables. So I'm soldered directly from the 3.5 to the back. No biggie, I'm the only one who'll notice for sure lol

My whine is definitely alternator, gone with the engine off and changes with RPM. That the whine you had too, or? Limited info online about an isolator working for that type of noise, we shall see I guess.

Using AM, so no worries there. Cut the R9, too. We have no PLII, but can see why you'd want to use the FM if yours is equipped.

Thanks,

Joe

P.S. - Worthy of mentioning, is that the Sirius has been installed since '13 but was using an FM direct adapter before (soldered in at the FM plug going into the antenna module). Was no whine before, and power source hasn't changed. Maybe the tuner was filtering it out before?
Gotcha. Tuner was most likely filtering it out before.

This is the one I bought. It works great to eliminate the whine. Works perfect when using AM.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8987_PAC-SNI-1-3.5.html

If you don't need a power source (battery power), you won't get whine. The noise comes from being plugged into power. Since I'm using this setup for bluetooth, it has to be plugged into power, which is why I don't have a choice but to use a ground loop isolator.

Reactions: Hong Kong
#100 ·
Hey Hong Kong,

lots of thanks for this excellent write-up!

Did this DIY-hack today and it works great and just like it should! But still I have two questions about it:

1. After the reinstallation of the aux upgraded radio module I first had no more Infotainment at all. ICM was dead, RTI was dead and the 12V socket was dead. I tried a full system reset by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but it didn’t help. Then I wanted to check the 12V socket fuse on the left side under the steering wheel. Oddly enough there was no fuse in the corresponding place. Even if the 12V sockets did work before, I wanted to give it a try and put in an appropriate fuse. And voila, Infotainment, RTI and 12v socket started to work again and the new aux as well. But the parking assist doesn’t start working in reverse anymore, radio just keeps playing. Also when I start the car, my DIM tells me Parking Assist Service Required. Did anybody experience this too? How can I solve this problem?

2. I would like to route the aux to the first row center cupholder but can’t find any way to route the cable through. Could somebody explain how to do this in detail?

Thanks a lot and all the best!

Johannes

#101 ·
I ran my cable (12 ft RCA one side, 3.5mm audio connector one side) through the top of the headliner and dropped into the passenger side A pillar, then behind glove box, then to the center console. Drilled a hole right where the OE aux is on later models and installed the jack (see subpost #44).

#102 ·
Hey ggleavitt, thanks a lot for your reply. Could you particularize a bit on how you did that? Which tools did you use to get the cable all through the headliner? And how to avoid getting into airbag and sunroof territory? How to get the cable further from behind the glove box to the cupholder? Did you by chance take some photos of your installation?

#104 · (Edited)
I used a "fish tape" to run across the headliner from driver side to passenger side in the back, then to the right (passenger side) of the sunroof to the area above the passenger side A-pillar (above the passenger seat, right side). Remove the A-pillar cover (8mm) plus the glove box, and carefully run the cable down to the side of the dash (there's a space between dash and body frame) and across the area where the glovebox was. Run the cable back towards the center console and connect to where ever you want. Visual of the route for A-pillar to center console is noted here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8gTkXO0S2DCeDhTWFpDS0pkc2M, see the "BluetoothInstallVolvoXC90" PDF. Also see the notes for running the cable down the A-pillar to avoid issues with airbag deployment.

Really not that difficult once you sort out how to get the cable from the back of the car to the front. You need to go over to the passenger side to avoid the sunroof hardware but other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

Good luck !

#106 ·
If it matters, the A-pillar trim in mine is held by 8mm bolts. Take both to avoid an unnecessary trip back to the toolbox. Haha

#111 ·
Just wanted to update: the $9 ground loop isolator from Amazon fixed 100% of our alternator whine, couldn't be happier :).

Thanks Hong Kong for this mod, works great!

Joe
Im really happy that also filter solved buzzing sound in our small audio system. :)

For helping others please post name or model of filter you purchased and where you placed.
I know how but others not. Thanks.

#108 · (Edited)
Managed to get the cable to the car's front and route it into the cupholder. Thank you everybody for your help!

The fish tape was the way to go, even if it still was a pain to route the cable all through the headliner - took me 3h. Soldering of the audio cables to the radio, removal and reinstallation of the unit was a piece of cake compared to the cable routing ;)

Routed the cable parallel to the rear window washer hose above the airbags. Then down along the A-Pillar and from under glove box through sound proofing panels to the cupholder. Check out the fotos.

#110 ·
I routed ours down the D-pillar, then behind the side panel in the 3rd row area. Came down the lower trim for the 2nd row, across carpet behind driver's seat, and in that way 👍.

Either way, long as you got it :)

Joe

#114 ·
You have to disconnect the AUX input to use FM. It's discussed earlier in the thread. In my case, I can unplug my Bluetooth adapter from power to get full FM.

#115 ·
Yes I know I have to disconnect the actual AUX input source, and it's what I always do to listen to FM radio. But when I keep the filter device connected (without anything connected to the thing itself) the FM content stays poor in quality and is without bass. The moment I unplug the filter device, the radio is back to normal again. Weird, isn't it? I was hoping to keep the filter thing permanently installed and hidden somewhere under the trims on the way from the roof antenna to my AUX input jack - but now it seems, I have to have it disconnected when listening to radio and have to put it back between the phone and the AUX input jack when listening to the phone's content while charging it. Who else uses such a filter for this AUX mod? Nobody with the same problem?

#116 ·
Hi from Spain. Thanks for this incredible mod.
I tried to do it this afternoon, but i have some problems . I followed step by step the post and everything was going well but when I reconected all system it has not worked.
Then I discovery that the red wire which feeds the radio module dont have electric current when ignition is on
I checked the fuse nº6 and replaced for a new one, but the wire has not voltage.
Anyone has any idea?
Thanks very much.