DIY Cabin Filter Replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hey swedespeeders. Just thought I should share this experience with you. This procedure should work for 2011+ S60, V60, XC60, 2008+ V70, 2008+ XC70, 2007+ S80.

You will need:

1. Cabin filter
      2. Torx 20 screwdriver
      3. Mmmm... Your hands
      4. Some patience

For the cabin filter I used the Mann Filter CUK 2733. I bought it on Amazon for $17.70. This one has the activated charcoal; this is the one you need if you have IAQS. If you don't have IAQS you can either use this one or the one w/o activated charcoal CU 2733. FYI - I don't have IAQS. This filter is used for Volvo and Land Rover vehicles:

The filter came with installation instructions with pictures which are actually pretty useful. The instructions claim that this is a 20 minutes installation and I'd say that's accurate enough once you've gone through it at least once. It took me about 40 minutes but I took a lot of time taking pictures and thinking about this write up. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do it in about 20 minutes next time around.

My step by step guide:

1. Remove the floor mat.

2. Remove the two torx screws with the TX20 screwdriver from the plastic cover in the passenger side footwell.

3. Gently pull down the plastic cover. The cover is kept in place by three clips (two in the front, one in the back). Be careful with the footwell lighting cables.

4. Remove the cables by pressing the clip as shown in the picture.

5. Pull down the carpet. It's a pain to keep the carpet down. You'll probably need to continue pulling down on the carpet throughout the process.

Now you'll see that the electrical box (on the right in the first picture) is blocking the filter lid (better viewed in the center of the second picture):

6. Now it's time to remove the electrical box. I removed it by gently pulling it upwards to get its two bottom clips loose. Once I got them loose, the top one came right off. I later learned that the top clip was actually supposed to be removed first by pressing a tab on the top of the box. However, nothing was damaged doing it like I did.

Once removed you'll have a clear view of the plate where the box was located. You can then put the box down. I removed the blue plug just to further loosen the box and keep it from getting in the way.

7. Now you have direct access to the filter's box which is secured with three clips that you just have to gently pull to remove the lid.

8. You look inside the box now the filter is exposed. You just need to reach in and pull it out.

Congrats! You're almost there. It wasn't until I had pulled the OEM filter out that I knew that it was actually the same brand as the one I bought.

Old in the left, new in the right:

Old filter:

New filter:

9. I read somewhere that you should twist and bend the new filter a couple if times just to make it a bit more flexible. Not sure if it would help but I did it anyways:

10. Here's where your patience comes in really handy. Next insert the new filter inside the box in the exact opposite way that you pulled the old one. This may take a while and a couple of tries. JUST BE SURE THAT THE AIR FLOW ARROWS ARE POINTING INSIDE THE VEHICLE'S CABIN, TOWARDS THE WATERFALL. Watch the arrows in the second picture. I bet it'll be extremely frustrating to insert the filter and then realize you'll need to take it out.

11. Now you're ready to put everything back together. Start with the cabin filter lid. Just align it and slightly press the three clips. You'll hear them snap into place.

12. Insert the blue plug back in the electrical box (if you pulled it out before) and snap the electrical box back into plate. Start by placing the bottom two clips in the plate and press the top part of the box to snap it into place.

13. Push back the carpet into place. Remember to pull put the footwell lighting cable out of the carpet.

14. Plug the footwell lighting cable into the footwell light in the plastic cover.

15. Put up the plastic cover. Start with the back clip followed by the two front clips. In the following pictures you'll see where the clips are supposed to be inserted. Then screw back on the two torx screws with the TX20 screwdriver.

16. Now put back the floor mat.

You're done! Now relax and breathe happy with some extra money in your pockets. Feel free to ask any questions.
      Last edited by Lucca; 07-01-2014 at 10:40 AM.
      Our garage...

2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT - Machine Gray Metallic/Cherry Top/Black (FUN LITTLE TOY!!!)
      2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature - Machine Gray Metallic/Auburn Nappa (replacing with a OSD 2020 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered)
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design w. Polestar tune - Black Sapphire Metallic/Offblack (Sold 2014)
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 Premium/Sport Package - Electric Silver/Offblack (Sold 2016)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

First class project and write up. Thanks for putting it together!
      2013 S60 R-Design, Passion Red. Modified with red "R" valve stem caps that probably add 20-25 HP.

1998 S70. 120k miles. GLT that needs some TLC.

Many thanks! Great write up! This one deserves a sticky!
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Sweet !! Good Job and write up. Will definitively use down the road. Only 3500 m on it at the present time

Nice DIY. I hope you can do some more DIYs for this car, there don't seem to be a lot of guides for the P3 chassis yet.
      '13 BMW X1 35i M-Sport
      '99 S70 AWD - 15G - ARD Green

Thank you for creating this tutorial! It is reassuring to see that the P3 chassis has the passenger side as the access point for the filter. The P1 chassis is on the driver's side and requires being a contortionist to perform the filter change.
      2015 V60 T5 AWD, Bright silver metallic, Premier Plus, BLIS Package, heated front seats, mud guards, spare tire (with bag holder retained)

Previous: 2010 C30 T5 w/Polestar and 2012 C70 T5 w/Polestar

Added to Pole Position. Thanks for taking the time to do this writeup!
      2000 V70 R| 2011 S60 T6 Polestar AWD *SOLD*

Thanks everybody! Just glad I could contribute.
      Our garage...

2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT - Machine Gray Metallic/Cherry Top/Black (FUN LITTLE TOY!!!)
      2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature - Machine Gray Metallic/Auburn Nappa (replacing with a OSD 2020 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered)
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design w. Polestar tune - Black Sapphire Metallic/Offblack (Sold 2014)

Good pictorial. I did the filter in my V70 last month (same location) and it wasn't quite as terrible as it looked. The plain paper element was a little tricky because it's so flexible that it wants to buckle when being bent around the corner. I just had to inch it into the housing and correct the pleats along the way. I'm glad I did it, though. It was nearly black, almost like it had never been changed in 90k.
      Current Proof of Insanity: 2014 XC70 3.2 AWD Premier, Flamenco Red/Soft Beige, Heated Everything
      Past Proof of Insanity (except the first one):1985 745, 1998 S70, 2009 V70, 2015.5 S60

Yes. Inserting the filter is definitely the trickiest part. But I felt that once you get an inch or so inside the housing the rest slides in pretty easily. In addition, it seemed to me that my new filter wasn't as flexible as the old one. I think that also helped.
      Our garage...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucca View Post
      Yes. Inserting the filter is definitely the trickiest part. But I felt that once you get an inch or so inside the housing the rest slides in pretty easily. In addition, it seemed to me that my new filter wasn't as flexible as the old one. I think that also helped.
      Totally agree. I just used your walk through (awesome job BTW) and the hardest part was getting the new filter in, there just isn't quite enough room. But it worked.

Excellent! Glad to hear that!
      Our garage...

Hey swedespeeders. Just thought I should share this experience with you. This procedure should work for 2011+ S60, V60, XC60, 2008+ V70, 2008+ XC70, 2007+ S80.
      Very good write-up.
      It's actually a bit easier on the S80/XC70/V70 as there is a bit less crap in the way. (No electrical box to remove as I recall - step 6 above - or maybe I just managed to do the swap without removing it.)
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

awesome thanks for a excellent write up!! I was planning on doing this over the weekend. now I have the perfect d.i.y.
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

Pray tell. How many miles / years on the old filter?

Jesus all this to replace the cabin filter? Insane. It was a 30 second job in my Toyota Corolla.

I did this today. thanks again for the great write up & I agree lucca getting the new filter was the hardest part.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin Norman View Post
      Pray tell. How many miles / years on the old filter?
      mine had 83K & looked similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck2020 View Post
      Jesus all this to replace the cabin filter? Insane. It was a 30 second job in my Toyota Corolla.
      lmfao !!!!! you should try changing it on a 06 s40 you've move the gas pedal & a bunch of other crap
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

The screws are TX25.

If you unplug the blue connector, you'll need to initialize your windows afterwords (usually).

I find folding the new filter into a Taco shape helps get it fitted easier.
      Expert Rating Volvo Tech

Thanks. Did this today. Used the carbon filter. A pain in the ass. But great instructions.

Thanks, Lucca. I tried this today for the first time, following your write up here, as part of my 60,000 mile service. Took 10 minutes and cost me 15 bucks. WAY cheaper than it would have cost me at Volvo. I still feel more comfortable having them deal with fluid changes, but anything I can do to save some money here and there helps. I also just recently changed all my spark plugs ($78 from IPD). So simple and far less expensive than having the dealer do it.
      2011 Ice White S60 T6/ Polestar/ IPD rear sway bar/ d088 FMIC/ Snabb silicone turbo hoses

Ordered one today! Thanks for the excellent write-up!

Anyone have any tips on how to get that fuse box out? I can't seem to get it to budge.
      Current: 2014 S60 T5 Premier/Black
      Past: 2007 Ridgeline/Black, 2000 Accord EX V6/Red, 1996 Maxima/Black

Pardon my ignorance but I'm coming from a Dodge Ram that didn't have a cabin air filter so can someone tell me what the normal intervals are for changing it out? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ODIN: 2014 Volvo S60 R Design - Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by Odin1057 View Post
      Pardon my ignorance but I'm coming from a Dodge Ram that didn't have a cabin air filter so can someone tell me what the normal intervals are for changing it out? Thanks!
      When it starts to smell or one year which ever occurs first.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Odin1057 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The maintenance guide says every 20,000 miles or 2 years.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

At least for me, there was noticeably reduced air flow through the vents (esp. the center dash vents) when it was close to the time to replace the filter. I think it would be better to replace the filter at least yearly in areas that see a good deal of pollen and dust; I used to change my Mazda's filter every 6 months (but it was far, far easier to do).
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

Quote Originally Posted by s6013t5 View Post
      The maintenance guide says every 20,000 miles or 2 years.
      This must have been changed with the new 10,000 mile interval. My manual states every 15k miles with a footnote.

Recommended to replace at least once a year or more often in heavy traffic or dirty/dusty areas
      I find that after a year of accumulated pollen and A/C mold it does start to smell.

It did change with the 10k services. I cant speak to whether or not it smells after a year since we change it every 8 months because we drive so much.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Great post! I was having some trouble getting the fuse box removed but finally got it out using that tab on the top you mentioned. Here's a photo. You have to go by feel because you can't really see that spot when the fuse box is installed against the firewall. Also just wanted to share how dirty my filter was, S60 MY12 (second owner so not sure if it's ever been changed and it was actually wrinkled up like that as I removed it so a bad previous install).

Quote Originally Posted by dogworks View Post
      Great post! I was having some trouble getting the fuse box removed but finally got it out using that tab on the top you mentioned. Here's a photo. You have to go by feel because you can't really see that spot when the fuse box is installed against the firewall. Also just wanted to share how dirty my filter was, S60 MY12 (second owner so not sure if it's ever been changed and it was actually wrinkled up like that as I removed it so a bad previous install).

The top image saved me from calling it quits. I was feeling for the white tab at the top and couldnt find it. When I saw the top image image the box came off in 2 seconds. Great writeup!!

Wow! I've been away from the forum for a while... had to sell my RD as part of a big relocation a year ago. Nice to see so many of you have found the write-up to be helpful.
      Our garage...

I did mine over the weekend based on the OP. And I too was about to give up when trying to pull the fuse box out.

Many thanks Lucca!

n
      2012 S60 T5, original purchase date May 2011, chassis number 050616

Phillips Head Screws in 2012 s60

This post was very good.

However on my 2012 S60 T5, the trim piece under the glove box was held on by 2 Phillips head screws, no torx anywhere in sight.

Last change was by Volvo Dealer - they crucified the filter when installing. When I removed the cover I could see no evidence of a filter and had to put my fingers way in to grasp it. It was contorted when I did get it out and it was very black so it was time to change.

Thanks again.

Nice to see the 2011- 2015 S60's discussed and not just the 2001-2009 models.
      2012 S60 T5
      1999 S70

The charcoal, at least on a couple new ones I've looked at, makes them black--I found it hard to tell the difference in a new and old one...anyone?
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

Great write-up and clear instructions. I am gonna do it next week when my filter arrives. Can anybody tell me are there any difference between the CU2733 and the CUK2733? I bought my car used and it has some strange smell since I got it. Would the CUK better in this case?
      Thanks.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast