Front plate or no front plate
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Front plate or no front plate

About to pick up a new V60 Rd, and told the dealer not to install a front plate just yet. It's the law in Ohio, but living on the corner bordering Indiana (rear plate only) and Kentucky (rear plate only), you see a ton of cars without the front plate, so you don't stick out.

Now that I've started looking, I see tons of cars, especially BMW, Lexus, etc. with rear only Ohio plates.

It looks so much better and I hate to drill the holes in my virgin bumper. Anybody get burned? How big is the ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I live in NJ so I had to drill the holes

I'd say try it out w/o drilling... see what happens.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

No front for as long as you can.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My mom actually had a front plate on her s40 because she got European delivery and I thought it looked good at the time.. I think I have it somewhere and I believe it's red, might actually look ok on the front although I'm sure I won't install it... LOL
      2015 S60 R Design - REBEL BLUE
      2014 XC60 T6 (Hers)

(Former rides) 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T - 2011 VW Jetta TDI - 2010 Mustang GT - 2008 BMW e90 M3 - 2007 BMW e90 335i/Active - 2007 Infiniti G35S -2006 Infiniti M35 - 2004 Acura TL ... no need to list more

Get a mount that screws into the spot where front tow hook goes. I was actually the beta tester for a company called CravenSpeed. Their mount is called the Platypus.

Talk to Jeremy (signs emails Remy) and ask for the one he spec-ed out for the 2014 S60.

I had to go through a few variations, but eventually we got it as close as we could to the bumper without having to mount the plate on an angle.

Mount is super sturdy, the only thing I did was buy a new tow hook cover that I want to modify to fil in the open space around the mounting bar. If anyone does that and can make a template, if appreciate it.

Pics:
      2014 S60 T6 AWD - Platinum - BLIS - IPD Sway kit - Focal Sound System

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      No front for as long as you can.
      osd comes with red temp plates. keep the plates on until you get your first ticket. with no tickets we kept ours on for a year after delivery stateside. unique.

john

Pennsylvania is a rear-plate only state, but since mine came with the temporary Swedish plate (OSD), I kept it on the front. That makes it easy to identify other OSD Volvos on the road and has prompted a few (non Volvo/OSD) folks to ask about it.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

You should be able to find out the law/regulation covering front license plates via web searches. Might be covered under something like "improper display" of "failure to display" rather than the more obvious "missing front license plate". You should also be able to find the penalties. Just remember that there are also a lot of "junk fees" (ambulance fund, state police ball fund, anti-drunk-driving fund, etc.) on the ticket that won't appear in the law. In PA, those fees end up being more than most of the penalties (which annoy the local PD because they get X% of the penalty but none of the fees.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

Run it with no plate until you get pulled over. We live in PA (no front) but the car was from NJ and had the bracket already installed. I just took it off and put the black screws in the holes, they are barely noticeable against the Caspian Blue.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

I live in Ohio where a front plate is required but have gotten away with not having front plates for 7 years now on my V70. The car just looks so sleek without them. I do carry the plates and bracket in the back cargo area so if anyone ever hassles me I can plead ignorance ("I had no clue how to install it, officer... can you help?")... being a woman has a few perks. Since I've had the car I had two speeding tickets early on and one minor run-in with a deer and so far have not been ticketed. When I hit the deer the cop did ask if I had a front license plate but only to make sure it hadn't fallen off in the street.

Unfortunately my new car is OSD so it will have the holes already screwed in so I guess I will be legal again once it makes it to Ohio.
      Last edited by Denise O; 07-17-2014 at 10:54 AM.
      2015.5 V60 - OSD
      2007 V70
      1996 850

Went with a front plate because I heard EZ Pass gets all uppity about your missing front plate.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

From what I've read, the front plate is more about radar gun targeting and red light cameras than "public safety".

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Went with a front plate because I heard EZ Pass gets all uppity about your missing front plate.
      Why would EZ Pass care? We don't have front plates in Pennsylvania and EZ Pass works just fine.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

It's probably used to detect and identify cars passing through without a transponder.

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      Pennsylvania is a rear-plate only state, but since mine came with the temporary Swedish plate (OSD), I kept it on the front. That makes it easy to identify other OSD Volvos on the road and has prompted a few (non Volvo/OSD) folks to ask about it.
      Though my car was sourced from Princeton, NJ, it must've been originally delivered to PA car as it didn't have a front frame/holes drilled. Not so lucky with my wife's car; not having a tag on the front looks so much cleaner. I live near the PA border with a lot of PA drivers about, so my car isn't as obvious. Wish Maryland would just pass the dang rear tag only law already!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Sdub View Post
      From what I've read, the front plate is more about radar gun targeting and red light cameras than "public safety".

Don't know where you read that but that is absolutely not true.. A front license plate has no bearing on whether or not somebody running radar can detect or not detect your speed.. And as for red light cameras they are positioned "behind the vehicle" to read tags, considering there are obviously States that do not require a front plate...

My advice is do what your gut tells you.. And if you think you can ride without a front plate on good luck.
      CURRENT: 2019 Crystal White Pearl S60 T5 R-DESIGN w/ P*

PAST: 2012 Black S60 T5 w/Blonde Interior

I love how you are debating on the front license plate issue, I would love to run my V60 without it ... keep in mind over here in Belgium we have this monstrosity both up front and at the rear:

(not my photo)

No license plate at the front won't last long ... don't know the exact fine, but I'm sure it will be expensive, Belgian license plates are red letters on a white background ... some tuned cars run black letters on white at the front to make it look better ... also a hefty fine when you get pulled over.
      2015 Volvo V60 R-Design - Black on the outside, black on the inside ... and bad all over.

Agreed w bmo pete

The cops are pretty good about it in NE Ohio where I live. I have been running my MX 5's sans front plate for 7 years or so, never had an issue though I would imagine if I was pulled over for something else they would mention it.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Denise O View Post
      I live in Ohio where a front plate is required but have gotten away with not having front plates for 7 years now on my V70. The car just looks so sleek without them. I do carry the plates and bracket in the back cargo area so if anyone ever hassles me I can plead ignorance ("I had no clue how to install it, officer... can you help?")... being a woman has a few perks.
      Tried this. Doesn't work as well as you'd like to think--I still ended up with a fix-it ticket. It really does depend on the police officer, because I wasn't speeding--he pulled me over specifically for "Failure to Display". (FWIW, it was in North Royalton on a mid-month Friday evening.)

While the front plate does nothing to impact radar, it's makes for a perfect shiny/reflective target for laser. If a police cruiser is just sitting there, it's likely running radar. If the officer is out of the car, laser.
      I'm sure this isn't unique to NE Ohio, but something else to be aware of are major traffic enforcement actions: you may see the officer out and operating the radar/laser, but just down the highway are a bunch of cruisers waiting to make the stops... (I've seen this at the 480/271 split in Maple Hts., mid/late-afternoon on a weekend.)
      Truedelta - Fuelly - last.fm
      (sold) 1994 Calypso Green Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab I4 MT - color-matched Leer cap
      (sold) 2007 Aurora Blue Mazda 3 GTS Hatchback MT - Sound & moonroof package
      2014 Rebel Blue Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD - Platinum, Climate & Tech packages, 3M Ventureshield + 20/35/50 tint

Truedelta - Fuelly - last.fm
      (sold) 1994 Calypso Green Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab I4 MT - color-matched Leer cap
      (sold) 2007 Aurora Blue Mazda 3 GTS Hatchback MT - Sound & moonroof package
      2014 Rebel Blue Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD - Platinum, Climate & Tech packages, 3M Ventureshield + 20/35/50 tint

Ny state requires 2.....

The bottom line is how you, as an individual, deal with the front plate issue in a state which requires it. If it's required, not mounting the front plate is a violation with various degrees of enforcement and penalties depending on the locality and state. While most of us would agree that a clean look is preferable to one which has a mounting bracket on the front bumper, not everyone is comfortable with risking being stopped and fined.

In my state, New Hampshire, (a two plate state), any plate violation is a mandatory $150 fine with a two point license penalty. We have a heavy State Police presence on the roads, as well as local LE's out there all the time. For me, it's just something else I don't want to worry about, so I choose to display the front plate.

If you have no problem with risking the fine then, by all means, keep that plate off if it bothers you. If you don't want to worry about it, just mount it. Either way, it's really not that big of a deal.
      Stan
      In the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire
      2012 Volvo S60 R-Design; Passion Red, Climate and BLIS
      2013 Porsche Boxster S (981 S), Platinum Silver, 6 speed manual, 20" Carrera S wheels

Cool

I live in PA and thus don't need the front plate. Unfortunately, my XC60 had the front license plate bracket installed when I purchased it. I don't want to remove the bracket and see the holes so I have a Bourbon St. vanity plate on there now. I think I'm going to order either a Volvo vanity plate or maybe a European-sized plate. I'm leaning toward the European plate, but I can't decide what I'd like written on it. I want something clever.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      Why would EZ Pass care? We don't have front plates in Pennsylvania and EZ Pass works just fine.
      They apparently photograph the front plate.

See hilarious article: http://nypost.com/2011/10/13/big-rig...to-evade-toll/
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

I live in Cincinnati and have never had a front plate on any of my cars. Knock on wood, I've never been 'caught.' I think given our proximity to Kentucky & Indiana (both of which only require rear plates), cops are just accustomed to seeing cars with no front plate. You'd definitely stand out more in more central cities like Columbus.

Move to SC and you dont even need plates. Just put a piece of cardboard in your window that says "applied for".

The two plate rules go back way before cameras. Just another way to easily identify the car. Across an intersection, backed into a parking space, while towing a trailer, etc.

I like that tow hook plate frame.
      2001 V70 T5M Black on Charcoal
      Koni FSD, Vogtland springs, Ultraracing strut brace and front and rear chassis braces, Ultraflow air intake, IPD swaybars, IPD subframe bushing inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      They apparently photograph the front plate.

See hilarious article: http://nypost.com/2011/10/13/big-rig...to-evade-toll/
      EZ pass uses the front plate on semis since the rear plate is obstructed by the trailer.
      Koni FSD, Vogtland springs, Ultraracing strut brace and front and rear chassis braces, Ultraflow air intake, IPD swaybars, IPD subframe bushing inserts.

Oh, right. The trailer has its own separate plate, doesn't it?

Well, I just went by what others reported on other forums. They said they didn't have a front plate and that EZ Pass had a problem with it for some reason.

PA is a non-front plate state and the PA Turnpike is EZPass enabled. So I imagine they're also shooting the rear plate. Hmmm, I wonder if they can decode my rear plate with a bicycle in the way...

I do have a front plate but it is a red Swedish "temporary" plate. I don't think their software could decode that.

I'm kidding; I have the transponder and use it.

Funny if you drive a vette in ny state.Cops will usually let you get away with it.Ive heard it up close and personal from a ny state trooper.Vetts are different.Dont count.

Without for as long as possible. Nevada doesn't have front plate rules which is awesome

I never could see the reasoning behind 2 plates accept more mula for dmv.

Quote Originally Posted by breatlevo View Post
      I never could see the reasoning behind 2 plates accept more mula for dmv.
      You cannot be serious.
      2014 S60 T6 AWD - Platinum - BLIS - IPD Sway kit - Focal Sound System

That makes zero sense.

2nd plate is an option in PA. I believe it's mainly used for fleet and tow vehicles. I think its $10 extra which would barely cover the cost if the tag.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast