Turn off ignition and remove key in any gear position
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Turn off ignition and remove key in any gear position

I discovered this weird issue on my 2007 3.2 at the boat ramp of all places. I can turn off the vehicle and remove the key with the gear selector in any position. Is this a common issue, or the symptom of something bigger hiding in the electrical system somewhere?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I can do that in mine....

Is that not okay?
      2006 XC90 V8

2001 Audi TT Quattro - Constantly fluctuating between broken and fixed- A superposition of two states.

Quote Originally Posted by SchmidTT View Post
      I can do that in mine....

Is that not okay?
      It's not supposed to work that way, that's for sure. What if you don't get it all the way in park and it stays in reverse; You turn it off, remove the key and step out, and that sucker goes rolling down the driveway...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I don't have a 2007 with the TF 80 transmission but I'll guess the shifter console assembly is the same for all models. As 2scoops notes, this is NOT how it is supposed to work.

Did a post on the shift lock mechanism a few months back (see https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ight=interlock, about ½ way down). It’s a combination of the key being in the [corrected] I (first) position and the brake pedal being pushed that allows the gear selector lever to move from Park to another selection (Drive, Neutral, Reverse). The lock cylinder has a mechanical cable which runs to the shifter and there is a solenoid at the front of the shifter assembly that controls a gate of sorts and gets pulled back when the brake pedal switch closes. You should not be able to move the gear selector from P another position without the key being in POSII and the brake pedal being pushed in. That’s the idea behind the shifter interlock subsystem.

There is supposed to be an override for this function and it’s a little yellow plastic pin towards the right rear of the shifter assembly itself (under the cover when looking from the top). See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu81vZO-hUQ, it’s about a completely different subject (broken shifter lever) but as the camera moves in and out about 1/2 way through, you can see it pretty clearly. If this pin is removed (as it would be if the car for whatever reason could not be taken out of Park and needed to be towed), then the gear selector will move at will. At least it did when I removed the pin in May ( I replaced it when I was done troubleshooting).

It would be very interesting if you popped the shifter cover and checked. If you do not see the small yellow plastic top-hat in the area mentioned above and in the video, there is your answer. Someone removed it at some point and never put it back it. If you in fact see the small yellow plastic top-hat in this area, then all bets are off. If the pin IS missing, I would head over to a dealer at the earliest convenience and make them fix it as a safety issue. I can’t find a part number for this item but I have to assume they have some around or would know where to get one.

Please let everyone know what you find if you chose to look. If you have not removed the shifter panel before, it comes up from the back with the cup holder opened. Easy and firm pressure upwards will get it to pop loose. Few wires are connected to the cover so some care is suggested when moving it around…
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 03-29-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Correction, 032920 POSII (not POS I

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      I don't have a 2007 with the TF 80 transmission but I'll guess the shifter console assembly is the same for all models. As 2scoops notes, this is NOT how it is supposed to work.

Did a post on the shift lock mechanism a few months back (see https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ight=interlock, about ½ way down). It’s a combination of the key being in the II (second) position and the brake pedal being pushed that allows the gear selector lever to move from Park to another selection (Drive, Neutral, Reverse). The lock cylinder has a mechanical cable which runs to the shifter and there is a solenoid at the front of the shifter assembly that controls a gate of sorts and gets pulled back when the brake pedal switch closes. You should not be able to move the gear selector from P another position or from another position to P without the key being in POSII and the brake pedal being pushed in. That’s the idea behind the shifter interlock subsystem.

There is indeed an override for this function and it’s a little yellow plastic pin towards the right rear of the shifter assembly itself (under the cover when looking from the top). See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu81vZO-hUQ, it’s about a completely different subject (broken shifter lever) but as the camera moves in and out about 1/2 way through, you can see it pretty clearly. If this pin is removed (as it would be if the car for whatever reason could not be taken out of Park and needed to be towed), then the gear selector will move at will.

It would be very interesting if you popped the shifter cover and checked. If you do not see the small yellow plastic top-hat in the area mentioned above and in the video, there is your answer. Someone removed it at some point and never put it back it. If you in fact see the small yellow plastic top-hat in this area, then all bets are off. If the pin IS missing, I would head over to a dealer at the earliest convenience and make them fix it as a safety issue. I can’t find a part number for this item but I have to assume they have some around or would know where to get one.

Please let everyone know what you find if you chose to look. If you have not removed the shifter panel before, it comes up from the back with the cup holder opened. Easy and firm pressure upwards will get it to pop loose. Few wires are connected to the cover so some care is suggested when moving it around…
      I haven't pulled the shifter cover off yet but I will have a look tomorrow. What is really puzzling is everything works as it should as far as moving the gear selector out of park. Key on, brake peddle depressed. It only gets screwy when the key is turned off. It like the shifter interlock system works in only one direction, from park to drive, but not in the other direction, from drive back into park.

Bizarre.

So I went out and checked, using my 2005 as another point of reference. I'll correct my earlier statements in that the key can be in POS I or II (III is cranking the engine) and brake pedal pressed to get out of P. To go back to P, my key can be in POS II or II and I don't need the brake pedal pressed but I cannot turn the key to get it out unless the car is in P.

Now I'm not at all sure what exact function the yellow interlock bypass pin serves but a few months back I had a problem with my key and could not get it to go to POS I nor could I get the car out of P. I could not at the time determine if it was the interlock or the cylinder that was the cause (it ended up being the cylinder, replaced it in June) but I recall when I removed the pin I could move from P to any other selection without have the key turned. I likely had the brake pedal pressed so the solenoid was not related.

For sure interested in knowing if you have the pin but thanks for keeping me honest...

**Further to my last, I'm having a very difficult time in getting correct detail about the function of that yellow pin (coulda sworn it was an interlock bypass, now can't find my reference) but in the meantime, see the documentation from the 2007 XC90 manual for how the shiftlock is supposed to work:

Shiftlock
      When your vehicle is parked, the gear selector is locked in the (P)ark position. To release the selector from this position, turn the ignition key to position II (or start the engine), depress the brake pedal, press the button on the front side of the gear selector and move the selector from (P)ark.

Keylock
      When you switch off the ignition, the gear selector must be in the (P)ark position before the key can be removed from the ignition switch.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 07-28-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Addendum

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements