World Rally Blue plasti dip
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

World Rally Blue plasti dip

The July dipyourcar sale provided for me

I went with about three gallons of black followed with two gallons of glossifier w/ 100mg world rally blue dip pearls. I was having trouble finding anyone who had used strictly glossifier with the pearls. Seems like everyone online uses 1 gal glossifier and 1 gal clear dip which gives that satin finish.

I was curious what straight glossifier looked like so I tried it. It is exceptionally challenging because the glossifier is so so so thin that the pearls did everything they could to run. The hood is and part of the front bumper is two places where the pearls beat me

I plan to add more photos once the plan is finished. Still need to refurb my grill, change the wheels and mirror caps to anthracite, finish peeling all the trim, and paint the B pillar black to give it that sleek look.

Did something differenet with the taillights from last time too

2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

Cosmetic Custom : Headlights Part 2 | Taillights | Plasti dip | Front grill

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Also fishing for opinions. Wheels and mirror caps black or anthracite?

Looks awesome! Though why is everyone doing blue lol
      2000 Laser Blue V70R

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Looks like it came out great! I really like the glossifier only finish, but just from mixing it with clear (I did 2 glossifier mixed with 1 clear gallon), the glossifier must've been really challenging to evenly apply. It's almost as thin as water.
      2006 S60R MT Sonic Blue with Atacama - Garage Queen
      2008 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red with Off Black - Hers
      2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI MT, 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab MT V8
      Previously: 2010 S80 V8, 2006 V70R MT, 2004 S60R MT, 1993 245 NA, 2006 XC90 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen9090 View Post
      Also fishing for opinions. Wheels and mirror caps black or anthracite?
      My vote is definitely anthracite, but I may be biased!

Quote Originally Posted by CMOD_R View Post
      I don't know, it's very odd. I even mentioned on the first guys thread that I was planning on doing a deeper blue too before he had even posted. With the new "dip pearls" that came out, they have many shades of blue and they do seem to be the most attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by esmith813 View Post
      Looks like it came out great! I really like the glossifier only finish, but just from mixing it with clear (I did 2 glossifier mixed with 1 clear gallon), the glossifier must've been really challenging to evenly apply. It's almost as thin as water.
      It was rough man. I set the air flow to high and the material flow to low to try and lay on thin coats. They still found a way to run though. Probably also why DYC hasn't advertised ever trying it.

I really like the color. Need better picture, but everyone does blue because it looks good on our cars. Everyone and their mom has done flat black, and when trying to accentuate the body lines of the car you need a somewhat light color. Gray looks prime red, blue just stands out. Awesome
      Last edited by Jcw010; 08-04-2014 at 06:46 AM.
      2004 S60R 6MT Black Sapphire/Gobi
      Intake, FMIC, 3" turbo-back, Short Shift, Under-drive Pulley, Elevate tune, Strut brace
      2006 Ducati Monster S2R1000

Pretty obvious brahhh...
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Actually, after I got the flat black on the car I was like "damn". With the already black wheels and tinted headlights, it looked pretty darn good. But that wasn't the mission so I continued lol

I'm still waiting for black and yellow. You know, black stripe, yellow paint...

Looks great BTW.
      1989 740 Turbo Plus, M46, red leather, and a few mods
      2004 S60R The Phoenix
      2000 V70R Sobek - Sold to my brother
      1976 245 Cthulhu - new project
      1995 940 Thor - something diesel awaits

Actually, after I got the flat black on the car I was like "damn". With the already black wheels and tinted headlights, it looked pretty darn good. But that wasn't the mission so I continued lol
      What route did you go to tint your headlights?
      Intake, FMIC, 3" turbo-back, Short Shift, Under-drive Pulley, Elevate tune, Strut brace

Quote Originally Posted by Jcw010 View Post
      What route did you go to tint your headlights?
      Lamin-X precut tint film. I think I did the lightest option.

I should have said "looks rally good". I must not be feeling very punny today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcw010 View Post
      I should have said "looks rally good". I must not be feeling very punny today.
      Oh lord

Couple more pics. Still need to do wheels anthracite but grill is done and so are mirror caps.

I love that grill. It really goes well with the rest of your car.

Did you apply the pearl coats the length of the car or panel-by-panel?

That looks damn good man! I think you should lower it or put a stiff in the trunk, your rear end is up higher than I've seen
      06 S60R M66 | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | 28mm Rear Sway | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | Strut Brace | Delrin S.B.'s | 20mm Spacers | 90mm Studs | Fancy Rotors | A-Pillar Boost/Trans/Volt Gauges | ScanGauge II | All Lights HID | My BUILD THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by esmith813 View Post
      I love that grill. It really goes well with the rest of your car.

Did you apply the pearl coats the length of the car or panel-by-panel?
      I pretty much did panel by panel. I wish I had done three gallons of glossifier w/ pearls instead of two because on the side you can sorta notice the black underneath. But it also kind of gives it a chameleon effect because at certain angles it looks more black and other angles it looks more blue.

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      That looks damn good man! I think you should lower it or put a stiff in the trunk, your rear end is up higher than I've seen
      I don't wish to lower only because I don't want to take all the extra care that comes with it. For god's sake, I scraped my damn 850 front bumper the other day because of a ridiculous incline entering a shopping mall. If you are familiar with a stock 850, this is nearly impossible to do. It would be nice to hug the road better tho.

I pretty much did panel by panel. I wish I had done three gallons of glossifier w/ pearls instead of two because on the side you can sorta notice the black underneath. But it also kind of gives it a chameleon effect because at certain angles it looks more black and other angles it looks more blue.

I did panels for the first two coats of pearls, then length of the car for the other six or so coats. Despite this, I've still got a very little bit of pooling pearls around where the panels meet. Next go around, I think I'll try all the pearl coats going the length of the car.

This looks awesome. Moar photos!

Very tempted to Sonic-ify one or both of our current Volvos. I miss Sonic...
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

Love the grill. Do you have a thread on how you did it?
      2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/[email protected], IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust
      2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by djkronik57 View Post
      Love the grill. Do you have a thread on how you did it?
      Here's my original thread.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...hoose-my-grill

It took me a while to find the exact material I wanted. Many of them on eBay don't have the right opening heights or look like cheap knock-offs of the Audi mesh. I also didn't want to buy the audi grill because they are uber expensive and I didn't like the idea of cutting up a perfectly functional grill. I found only one seller that had what I wanted and he was selling from Germany so shipping coast was more than the sheet itself. Because of this, I made a plan to buy extra material, cut into blanks, and sell to make up the cost it took to ship them here.

Every once in a while I still get PMs from people willing to send me their grill and do it for them. I actually just did one last week. You can find your own material and I can help you with the instructions or you can buy a blank from me and do it yourself or have me do it for you, many options. If you look at TRAV_R's build thread, you can find some of my work there too.

Finished with the anthracite wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      This looks awesome. Moar photos!

Very tempted to Sonic-ify one or both of our current Volvos. I miss Sonic...
      Are you going to tell him about the curse of driving Sonic Blue?
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo

Looks so goooood
      2012 S60 T6 RDesign | Ferrita Downpipe | Custom Straight Pipe Catback | KW Coilovers | Previously owned by CMOD_R
      2004 S60R Auto | BC Racing Coilovers | 3" OBX Catted Straight Pipe Custom | SOLD
      2001 S60 T5 Autotragic RIP
      2001 S60 T5 Manual 241k RIP

Quote Originally Posted by spinall4 View Post
      Oh man, I am well aware of the cure I think you are implying. That's why I'm not labeling it "Sonic blue" lol

Quote Originally Posted by spinall4 View Post
      The curse is only on MT Sonic Blue Rs. So you guys are safe.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      The curse is only on MT Sonic Blue Rs. So you guys are safe.
      ...I guess I should change my signature...

I did navy blue with white pearlizer, originally wanted to do yellow but maybe that will be next. Blue is the new black lol
      2006 Mystic Metallic Silver plastidipped navy blue /w white pearlizer. S60 2.5t AWD (Svenja): Eurosport CAI, OBX dp, custom exhaust, IPD v70r sways, UR FTB, pegs(18 inch), R front bumper conversion, awaiting custom tune..

Love the way water droplets look on plasti dip

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements