RTI Retrofit - Smartphone implementation into RTI screen S60/V70II/and others
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

RTI Retrofit - Smartphone implementation into RTI screen S60/V70II/and others

Hi!

About two years ago my RTI DVD-drive broke, instead of repairing it (again) I got inspired by several TomTom and Garmin implementations for our RTI screen (e.g. IntergratorLV, nasab.com (Download -> Volvo Tip and Tricks -> ...) and some more)

As there are already a few DIY tutorials I am going to keep it short.

Material:
      - Smartphone of your choice
      - USB Cable
      - Micro-B USB plug
      - 12V -> 5V USB converter (I used my old USB car charger)
      - Cables, zip ties, foam...

Apps:
      - Rotation Locker (for a permanent landscape-mode)
      - MapFactor Navigation (Offline Open Source Maps)
      - Torque OBDII software

As soon as the DVD was removed from the DVD-drive my screen was driving up and down with the steering wheel buttons without any further modifications.

The empty housing of the RTI screen has a size of 156x90mm inside, by removing a little bit of the small braces on the side it will be about 159x90mm.
      The original screen size is 143x79mm. Don't forget to make a hole for the On/Off button.

I chose the ZTE Grand Memo (159,9x83mm) because the USB is connected from the side and the On/Off button is on the top of the device.
      It is a little bit to wide but with some bending and grinding it has a snug fit.

Selfmade 90° USB cable. Later fixed with hot glue and heat shrink hose.

This is the phone inside the housing with the USB connected.

I used double-sided tape and a some foam to keep the phone in place
      The spring (photoshopped because I forgot to take a picture) is pulling the cable behind the phone while the screen is driving down.

Also put some foam behind the phone.

All put together.

You can also use the manual from nasab.com to implement a AUX-in to the TV-Tuner.
      I used a Philips AEA2000 Bluetooth Audio Receiver to send music or navigation instructions to the radio.

PS: Sorry for my English, sometimes I don't find the correct words

*edit* Links died
      Last edited by Volvoete; 08-12-2014 at 04:03 AM.
      Volvo S60R M66 MY2004

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesomeness! If I can find the extra change to grab a decent android phone I'm doing this!
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

The ZTE is not that expensive. I saw some from about 150$ at ebay.
      Somehow the picture links died ... *fixed*

By the way I found another useful App.

"Condi" is a Tasker App which makes it possible to trigger events on the phone.

I used it to deactivate GPS and Bluetooth if the charger is disconnected and activating it and starting Torque as soon as the charger is connected.
      Volvo S60R M66 MY2004

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I wanna do the same. Do you still need the nav DVD player or can you remove it? Are you using the DVD nav cable to send signal to the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
      I wanna do the same. Do you still need the nav DVD player or can you remove it? Are you using the DVD nav cable to send signal to the screen?
      The RTI DVD unit needs do be connected to maintain the up/down and TV (audio in) functionalities.

The "screen" is a Smartphone is only conected to a 5V USB Charger, so there is no Video input.
      Volvo S60R M66 MY2004

Just got an xperia Z ultra, game time...
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Just got an xperia Z ultra, game time...
      Isn't the Z Ultra to big?

The empty housing of the RTI screen has a size of 156x90mm
      Volvo S60R M66 MY2004

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoete View Post
      Isn't the Z Ultra to big?
      Hi Volvoete.

I hope you can help me.

I read this thread some months ago and I decided to follow your steps to make a custom screen for my R. So I bidded for a RTI unit in ebay.

By disassembling the unit I´ve realised that mi Rti housing is only 135 x 100. This is 25 mm less than yours.

In ebay it said that It came from a 2001 S60.

Are there two different RTI measures?

Anyone knows anything about this?

Thanks

Yes the R and Facelift RTI is wider than the ones before 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoete View Post
      Yes the R and Facelift RTI is wider than the ones before 2003.
      So.. big fail for me!

I´ll try to get a wide unit.

Thank you very much

Greetings to All.
      Didn't want to start new thread - so will post it here.
      I'm looking to install RTI display into my01 V70, which unfortunately came out from factory without RTI unit. What would i need to know before digging into my dash panel? What parts i need to look for? RTI display with grill cover, steering wheel control buttons, harnes for steering wheel and audio (HU603 + Yatour). I have TomTom Star60 first gen to place into RTI instead of smartphone (Only advantage of smartphone is ELM327 + dashcam). ELM327 BT adapter would be handy but unfortunately my 2.5TDI (D5252T) with MSA15.8 is not supported. I have seen plenty retrofiting manuals, but all of them are about how to install whole RTI Unit. Im looking forwards to install only display + steering wheel controls. Anyone has done it and could share some knowledge ? Thanks
      Last edited by ChewyLV; 04-02-2016 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChewyLV View Post
      Greetings to All.
      Didn't want to start new thread - so will post it here.
      I'm looking to install RTI display into my01 V70, which unfortunately came out from factory without RTI unit. What would i need to know before digging into my dash panel? What parts i need to look for? RTI display with grill cover, steering wheel control buttons, harnes for steering wheel and audio (HU603 + Yatour). I have TomTom Star60 first gen to place into RTI instead of smartphone (Only advantage of smartphone is ELM327 + dashcam). ELM327 BT adapter would be handy but unfortunately my 2.5TDI (D5252T) with MSA15.8 is not supported. I have seen plenty retrofiting manuals, but all of them are about how to install whole RTI Unit. Im looking forwards to install only display + steering wheel controls. Anyone has done it and could share some knowledge ? Thanks
      Hi.

Sorry for answering so late.

If you want to do ONLY a custom RTI you would need the following:

Now you have 26 - Speaker, and 28 - Cover

You should upgrade those to parts 32 - Bracket for RTI Unit and smaller speaker, 35 - Speaker itself, 38 - New cover grill and of course RTI Unit.

I think part numbers are the following:

Bracket - 3409736
      Speaker - 9452310
      Cover - 39965308

As far as I know if you want to Up/Down the RTI Unit with steering controls you would need all the installation, RTI, DVD Unit, wiring...

I´m doing a custom Rti and for the Up/Down function I´m going to connect some kind of switch directly to the RTI motor.

Hello,

I have a project to retrofit my navigation system. I'm Waze navigation addict.
      I have a V70R 2005 with HU850 + RTI + On-board phone + IMIV Classic + Rear camera on the IMIV.
      My GPS becomes very obsolete even if I update the maps. Sometime it is frozen and the navigation functions are too old.

I had a look to integrate an Android Radio or to retrofit the GPS. Change the radio seems tricky for several points:
      - The radio seems not good (the HU is excellent)
      - The wheels control is a problem
      - You loose the rear sensors
      - The cost is high (about 600$ with all options)

I'm choose to work on RTI side. My first test was to integrate a Android TV Box M18 (50$) connected on the AV-In of the IMIV. I works well but have several major issues:
      - The Box can be displayed only if the radio is on the TV inputs
      - No wheel remote control of the music on the TV input.
      - The most important. The RTI screen is not able to display a correct image of the Android interfaces and application. Even if I played with the resolutions and DPIs of the box, the definition of the RTI is not enough. Just OK to watch a video

Today my setup is:
      - Android TV box M18: 50$
      - RCA AV cable: 7$
      - Mele F10-pro airmouse: 25$

I need an intelligent car power supply to switch ON/OFF automatically the box (about 60$)
      http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB

The next step should be to replace the RTI display by a 6.5" 800x480 display with an input board:

Without touchscreen:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screen-Rasp.../dp/B00YIIXP34

With touchscreen:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-VGA-2AV...item27cfab6cdb

Unfortunately there is no better resolution on the market for this kind of size. With 7" you can have cheap 720p screens but it doesn't fit the RTI screen case.

The idea is:
      - Replace the RTI display by the new and the control board
      - Connect the RTI VGA to the VGA input (I think, it needs an adaptation of sync signals)
      - Connect the IMIV inputs on the AV2 (the board has an auto switch priority on the AV2)
      - Connect the Android TV box on the HDMI
      - Connect audio of the Android box to the IMIV bluetooth

The advantages of this should be:
      - We keep the actual RTI running (I only derivate the display signals and not the control
      - I remove the RTI DVR to use the RTI to pop-up the display
      - The Android TV box image can be display independently from the radio source
      - The audio tracks can be listened by the IMIV bluetooth (SAT emulation) and the AVRCP is working.

The remaining issues are:
      - Is the control display boards can be integrated in the RTI display case?
      - How I can control the display brightness from the informations coming from the RTI unit?
      - Is the IMIV rear camera use real the AV input from the RTI harness?

If someone has already some experience, please help me

Im doing it slowly - so far i have made bench-test, and fitted in navi into original screen place, now looking for best option to make it go up and down. Thinking to go along with on-off-on dpdt swicth fitted into dummy button into climate control module next to STC/Powerfold mirrors/partial alarm.. in my mind it will look tidy and neat.
      Have soldered micro usb wire, which feeds TomTom, to flex cable at top end and tomorrow going to solder full size usb socked to bottom PCB where flex cable is routed - so i will be able to update my TomTom without need to take apart or even taking it out. Only thing what bothers me is - how to make it go up and down with single button push. Would be really nice to have some schematics how to do it without microcontrollers or so. Thinking to rip apart some old pc dvd rom and have a look how it works. Idea with dvd is exactly what im looking for - one push>RTI comes out and stops at top end, one more push and RTI goes down and stops at end point. No problems to start navi when car starts - as it has option - power on when charging or power off when not charging. Any mad or crazy ideas welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ed_bracam View Post
      Hello,

I have a project to retrofit my navigation system. I'm Waze navigation addict.
      I have a V70R 2005 with HU850 + RTI + On-board phone + IMIV Classic + Rear camera on the IMIV.
      My GPS becomes very obsolete even if I update the maps. Sometime it is frozen and the navigation functions are too old.

I had a look to integrate an Android Radio or to retrofit the GPS. Change the radio seems tricky for several points:
      - The radio seems not good (the HU is excellent)
      - The wheels control is a problem
      - You loose the rear sensors
      - The cost is high (about 600$ with all options)

I'm choose to work on RTI side. My first test was to integrate a Android TV Box M18 (50$) connected on the AV-In of the IMIV. I works well but have several major issues:
      - The Box can be displayed only if the radio is on the TV inputs
      - No wheel remote control of the music on the TV input.
      - The most important. The RTI screen is not able to display a correct image of the Android interfaces and application. Even if I played with the resolutions and DPIs of the box, the definition of the RTI is not enough. Just OK to watch a video

Today my setup is:
      - Android TV box M18: 50$
      - RCA AV cable: 7$
      - Mele F10-pro airmouse: 25$

I need an intelligent car power supply to switch ON/OFF automatically the box (about 60$)
      http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB

The next step should be to replace the RTI display by a 6.5" 800x480 display with an input board:

Without touchscreen:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screen-Rasp.../dp/B00YIIXP34

With touchscreen:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-VGA-2AV...item27cfab6cdb

Unfortunately there is no better resolution on the market for this kind of size. With 7" you can have cheap 720p screens but it doesn't fit the RTI screen case.

The idea is:
      - Replace the RTI display by the new and the control board
      - Connect the RTI VGA to the VGA input (I think, it needs an adaptation of sync signals)
      - Connect the IMIV inputs on the AV2 (the board has an auto switch priority on the AV2)
      - Connect the Android TV box on the HDMI
      - Connect audio of the Android box to the IMIV bluetooth

The advantages of this should be:
      - We keep the actual RTI running (I only derivate the display signals and not the control
      - I remove the RTI DVR to use the RTI to pop-up the display
      - The Android TV box image can be display independently from the radio source
      - The audio tracks can be listened by the IMIV bluetooth (SAT emulation) and the AVRCP is working.

The remaining issues are:
      - Is the control display boards can be integrated in the RTI display case?
      - How I can control the display brightness from the informations coming from the RTI unit?
      - Is the IMIV rear camera use real the AV input from the RTI harness?

If someone has already some experience, please help me
      I have seen 6inch touch modules sized as 155mm/80mm *module was HSD062IDW
      Last edited by ChewyLV; 09-07-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Hi again, once again me.
      If someone needs help with standalone RTI retrofitinng, let me know.
      Have made mine to go up and down with simple switch which has been repainted and laser printed lable NAVI. Tomorrow will try to add some picture. Switch as a fact is original DTSC button, only without its original function. Its connected to arduino nano, which sends CAN signal to canbus, so the RTI display thinks its connected to original instalation. Single press it drives up, press it for 3sec and it will drive down, pressing it for 6sec it will turn navi off, pressing it for 10sec it will turn navi back on. Also it rememmbers last state (up or down) and as soon i turn key to ACC, it will drive out automaticaly. Simple sketch, bit of soldering and button rework and looks like original equipment.

Sounds great!

That's why I like the Volvo/swedespeed community so much...so many DIY Professionals that save us tons of work and money ;-)
      Volvo S60R M66 MY2004

Hi again, once again me.
      Have made mine to go up and down with simple switch which has been repainted and laser printed lable NAVI. Tomorrow will try to add some picture. Switch as a fact is original DTSC button, only without its original function. Its connected to arduino nano, which sends CAN signal to canbus, so the RTI display thinks its connected to original instalation. Single press it drives up, press it for 3sec and it will drive down, pressing it for 6sec it will turn navi off, pressing it for 10sec it will turn navi back on. Also it rememmbers last state (up or down) and as soon i turn key to ACC, it will drive out automaticaly. Simple sketch, bit of soldering and button rework and looks like original equipment.
      I am interested to know how you did that!

Awaiting Approval
      Hi again, once again me.
      I am very interested in doing this project myself.
      Can you please share the Sketch and hardware schematic?

I need your help...

Hi again, once again me.
      Hi.
      I am really interested to put the RTI I bought on eBay working.
      If you could contact me to tell me how to put a stand alone RTI working I will be very glad.
      Regards

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      Hi again, once again me.
      Hi,

Awesome project!
      Do you have your code posted anywhere?
      I love how you send the signals on the canbus! The only other implementations are always wired directly to the RTI to send the serial commands to it.

I noticed that all the accessory buttons still transmit on the canbus even when they aren't functioning. For example, you could use a long press of a button (ex: hold the power child lock button) as a second function - save you having to modify a button.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      Hi again, once again me.
      Hi,

Awesome project!
      Do you have your code posted anywhere?
      I love how you send the signals on the canbus! The only other implementations are always wired directly to the RTI to send the serial commands to it.

I noticed that all the accessory buttons still transmit on the canbus even when they aren't functioning. For example, you could use a long press of a button (ex: hold the power child lock button) as a second function - save you having to modify a button.

Well, it's probably possible. But my project arduino had code that senses two shorted wires (spst) then starts injecting serial command into rti display. That's it.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      Well, it's probably possible. But my project arduino had code that senses two shorted wires (spst) then starts injecting serial command into rti display. That's it.
      Ah! Ok, I think I have your code then (or similar code). I'm hoping to retain my existing OEM reverse camera and RTI system but connect a raspberry pi or ham radio display to the RTI screen...
      Is your serial connection multiplexed with the existing commands going to the RTI or is your arduino the only device connected to your RTI's serial input?

(I want to make a DIY https://www.volvotech.eu/xc90/XC90-MY-2010-2014/vir-1)
      It will take me more time to DIY vs paying, but it's fun for me as I don't get to do many EE projects anymore with my job.
      Last edited by generic_volvo_driver; 10-02-2018 at 02:54 AM.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

Can you please send me some information about this?

thanks a lot

Hi again, once again me.
      Yes, I am very interested in more information. Looking for inspiration for a similar project.

Steering Wheel RTI Controls

I have a late 2007 V50 that came with RTI. I have since taken out the RTI and put a RPi with OpenAuto in its Place.

Does someone here know, where the Steering wheel control cables come out? I'd love to attach them to my Headunit and use them to control Android Auto.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements