Polestar Reviews - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

video review plus road trip tips from the smoking tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epzejK3q_Nk
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar #13 | 1976 Triumph TR6

I like the end of that smoking tire review... let's avoid a head on collision!
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar #15/80, Matte Rebel Blue
      1993 Volvo 850 GLT, Red, 170K miles (gift to family)
      1979 Volvo 265 GL, Blue (sold)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

++
      #63 RB san mateo,ca 17,575 miles, 17.3 mpg service 1 complete

Nice, well done

Affable bloke this Matt Farrah.

And a half decent appraisal of this car which is so much more realistically priced in the US compared with the greedy £50,000 asked here in the UK.

Interesting that there are 8 advertised from dealers' stock here and, believe it or not one on ebay....

Don.

I believe it would not only be the price but also tax and unreasonable insurance costs you're hit with every year that makes having a car like this undesirable? (In your country I mean)
      Last edited by m8o; 11-08-2014 at 01:19 PM.
      - 2015.5 V60 Polestar #41/80 (BSM)
      - '98 MB C43 AMG w/an '01 E55 AMG engine, Penske 8100 racing dampers, adjustable spring perches, euro nav, ++more
      - '88 Mercedes Benz 560SL, stock

Looks like Motor Trend finally posted the test numbers you guys have been asking for:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ar_first_test/

Quote Originally Posted by hensonje View Post
      Looks like Motor Trend finally posted the test numbers you guys have been asking for:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ar_first_test/
      Overall pretty spot on if a little superficial like they all tend to be.

Keep in mind most all of these reviews are in scorching California, where the temps are hot and the fuel is crap as 91 is the best you can get.
      '94 850 Turbo - sold -'07 V70R - sold
      2015.5 V60 Polestar | Rebel Blue | #64
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT

They (motortrend) missed a LOT of the appealing factors of the V60; or "it was left on the cutting room floor" when it got chopped by the editor.
      - '98 MB C43 AMG w/an '01 E55 AMG engine, Penske 8100 racing dampers, adjustable spring perches, euro nav, ++more

Quote Originally Posted by kenhoeve View Post
      Overall pretty spot on if a little superficial like they all tend to be.

Keep in mind most all of these reviews are in scorching California, where the temps are hot and the fuel is crap as 91 is the best you can get.
      The reviews are quite comical. There is a price to pay for the limited run factor, the performance, the technology, safety, reliability, etc. Is $62k pricey for a car? It's all relative; to some, maybe. To others, it's like dropping a quarter on the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by m8o View Post
      They (motortrend) missed a LOT of the appealing factors of the V60; or "it was left on the cutting room floor" when it got chopped by the editor.
      I've been giving this article some thought and I think I agree with you. I have to qualify this statement because I haven't driven Polestar or the STi yet. However, from what I've been reading from the owners on this site and other reviewers, I think that the suspension is the really magical part of the Polestar cars, which wasn't really mentioned in an evaluative way by the author from what I can see. I'm biased as a future owner, but I think the author has a somewhat myopic view of what makes a good car. I think there are plenty of faster, cheaper cars out there that I still want less than the Polestar.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM2 View Post
      The reviews are quite comical. There is a price to pay for the limited run factor, the performance, the technology, safety, reliability, etc. Is $62k pricey for a car? It's all relative; to some, maybe. To others, it's like dropping a quarter on the ground...
      It's barely $10k more than a fully loaded R design. If it is overpriced, that isn't what the market is saying about the lower trim models. And if you ask me, for what I'm going for, and all the kit they put on this thing, this was a screaming deal. I had no idea what it would cost until I signed the papers. And by the way, I did get my $1k Volvo loyalty discount!
      '94 850 Turbo - sold -'07 V70R - sold
      2015.5 V60 Polestar | Rebel Blue | #64
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT

It's barely $10k more than a fully loaded R design. If it is overpriced, that isn't what the market is saying about the lower trim models. And if you ask me, for what I'm going for, and all the kit they put on this thing, this was a screaming deal. I had no idea what it would cost until I signed the papers. And by the way, I did get my $1k Volvo loyalty discount!
      ++++

Quote Originally Posted by don.norchi View Post
      Interesting that there are 8 advertised from dealers' stock here and, believe it or not one on ebay....

Don.
      Today 19 of 50 Dutch offered on Autoscout24. 2 of 10 S60's, 17 of 40 V60's.
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

You couldn't have said it better! It really is a great bang for the buck, at least in the USA.

The STi comparison is a good one from a performance perspective, but not as an overall package. I had a lightly modified STi for 8 years, no engine mods, just Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, adjustable sway bars, stiffer bushings, and a slew of chassis braces. My modified STi was close to what the current 2015 model is, sharp handling and eager performance, great from a to b on any surface, but not the most refined package. The car was ready to go at a moments notice, but it was loud in the cabin and a bit tiring on long hauls. The Polestar has a similar performance envelope, but goes about it in a much more refined way, which is what I was looking for, and that's where the extra money goes. The Polestar can be driven around town easily and you wouldn't know what lies beneath ready to pounce. The STi was always on edge and never really comfortable taking it easy.

As for the price, I think it's right in line with it's German rivals. A similarly optioned S4 or 335i would be around the same price as an S60 Polestar. I wouldn't say it's great bang for the buck, but not overpriced for what you get. This level of performance and refinement come at a price. Sure you can get similar performance for less, but it won't be as easy to live with on a daily basis. The fact that the Germans don't offer a wagon version of the S4 or 335i is what makes the V60 so appealing in my eyes. If VW brings the Golf R Wagon stateside, it will offer similar performance, maybe a hair less ultimate performance, to the V60 Polestar for probably $15k less. That would be an interesting comparison.
      Last edited by gtsxr; 11-11-2014 at 10:00 AM.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar #13 | 1976 Triumph TR6

Quote Originally Posted by gtsxr View Post
      The STi comparison is a good one from a performance perspective, but not as an overall package. I had a lightly modified STi for 8 years, no engine mods, just Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, adjustable sway bars, stiffer bushings, and a slew of chassis braces. My modified STi was close to what the current 2015 model is, sharp handling and eager performance, great from a to b on any surface, but not the most refined package. The car was ready to go at a moments notice, but it was loud in the cabin and a bit tiring on long hauls. The Polestar has a similar performance envelope, but goes about it in a much more refined way, which is what I was looking for, and that's where the extra money goes. The Polestar can be driven around town easily and you wouldn't know what lies beneath ready to pounce. The STi was always on edge and never really comfortable taking it easy.

As for the price, I think it's right in line with it's German rivals. A similarly optioned S4 or 335i would be around the same price as an S60 Polestar. I wouldn't say it's great bang for the buck, but not overpriced for what you get. This level of performance and refinement come at a price. Sure you can get similar performance for less, but it won't be as easy to live with on a daily basis. The fact that the Germans don't offer a wagon version of the S4 or 335i is what makes the V60 so appealing in my eyes. If VW brings the Golf R Wagon stateside, it will offer similar performance, maybe a hair less ultimate performance, to the V60 Polestar for probably $15k less. That would be an interesting comparison.
      +1
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by gtsxr View Post
      If VW brings the Golf R Wagon stateside, it will offer similar performance, maybe a hair less ultimate performance, to the V60 Polestar for probably $15k less. That would be an interesting comparison.
      I dont like saying that because I love my polestar, but the R Wagon would probably beat our cars ass, considering it will be almost 250kg lighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
      I dont like saying that because I love my polestar, but the R Wagon would probably beat our cars ass, considering it will be almost 250kg lighter!
      For shure, a Golf Wagon R will look like every 1,6 Diesel company car, parked every 200 meters next to the road, over here :-)
      A Golf R (5D) is a good drive, but it's a 4 Zylinder with sound composer, and with optional 19" a bit bumpy to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TomOldi View Post
      For shure, a Golf Wagon R will look like every 1,6 Diesel company car, parked every 200 meters next to the road, over here :-)
      Sorry to say but there isn't that much differentiating the Polestar from the lesser V60's either.. Specially when using the 19" winter tires.
      A lot of D6 hybrids were sold in my country and also D2/D4's. Some also use 19" rims. All models can be had with R-Design package nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      Sorry to say but there isn't that much differentiating the Polestar from the lesser V60's either.. Specially when using the 19" winter tires.
      A lot of D6 hybrids were sold in my country and also D2/D4's. Some also use 19" rims. All models can be had with R-Design package nowadays.
      This may be true but I'd imagine most people would prefer their car to resemble a base V60 than a base Golf.

I love that my wagon is a sleeper. No one knows what this beast holds under the hood. But when someone does know, they always want to come over and talk about it.
      V60 Polestar #77/80
      former Saab driver.

#63 RB san mateo,ca 17,575 miles, 17.3 mpg service 1 complete

Much the same as you've read before. Though there are some quotes that I think I haven't read... http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...2#.VGRJAYEo7qA

Quote Originally Posted by m8o View Post
      Much the same as you've read before. Though there are some quotes that I think I haven't read... http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...2#.VGRJAYEo7qA
      Yet another remark about brake performance...

I tell you about brake performance once I was hitting the Nürburgring

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
      I tell you about brake performance once I was hitting the Nürburgring
      Coming weekend?

Yet another remark about brake performance...
      Feel. Another remark about brake 'feel'. Did I miss a statement about fade?

Yup, much the same as other reviewers. Still a positive take on the whole. Only some reviews from brits have been negative about the whole.

Coming weekend?

I wish, you and I need to be patient till spring next year

Will it be operating? . I keep reading scarey reports that one of the most storied tracks might close for good. What is the real story from those close by? (Or at least, much closer than most of us)

To be honest, I am not up to date... Need to get some informations. But they are talking about closing for years now so I dont know how serious it is this time! If it is really goint to close next year, it would be a huge dissapointment!

I hope they (motortrend) did their performance testing on a Hot day with California 91 octane. Cause my car matched or beat all of their numbers. I was really hoping to see this thing pop in the high 12's down the drag strip as I've seen at least one magazine showing a regular R-design at a low 13.

Someone who owns one of these things (S60 cause it's lighter) please go put 60 psi in your tires. Wait for a evening in the 40's with no wind and 93 octane with almost nothing in the tank and go crack a 12 something at your local drag strip and post the time sheet.
      Last edited by Mrsideways; 11-13-2014 at 02:55 PM.
      2006 Honda S2000 SCCA STU car with K24 swap 317whp
      2003 Mini Cooper S Rotrex swap 400hp
      2014 Rebel Blue S60 R Design 13.0 @ 106.29 mph IPD rear bar, Brembo GT Big Brake kit w/carbotech 1521 pads, K&N filter, Ferrita Cat-Back Exhaust, Polestar Ohlins Shocks and Struts, Polestar Springs.

Is 93 octane the highest you guys get in the US?

Im using Shell V Power, 100 Octane. Polestar recommends min. 98 octane...

You can get 98 but only at very few special pumps. Its called race gas and its double the price if not more.
      2006 Honda S2000 SCCA STU car with K24 swap 317whp
      2003 Mini Cooper S Rotrex swap 400hp
      2014 Rebel Blue S60 R Design 13.0 @ 106.29 mph IPD rear bar, Brembo GT Big Brake kit w/carbotech 1521 pads, K&N filter, Ferrita Cat-Back Exhaust, Polestar Ohlins Shocks and Struts, Polestar Springs.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast