Polestar Reviews - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
      Is 93 octane the highest you guys get in the US?

Im using Shell V Power, 100 Octane. Polestar recommends min. 98 octane...
      93 AKI is same as 98 RON.

So I typically go 50/50 91-100 blend.
      '94 850 Turbo - sold -'07 V70R - sold
      2015.5 V60 Polestar | Rebel Blue | #64
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

where are you located Foxy...I'm in Ontario,canada I've never heard of Vpower being any more than 93 octane...am I missing something I use Sunoco 94 which is the highest fuel available to my knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by hensonje View Post
      Looks like Motor Trend finally posted the test numbers you guys have been asking for:
      http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ar_first_test/
      Quote Originally Posted by kenhoeve View Post
      Overall pretty spot on if a little superficial like they all tend to be.

Keep in mind most all of these reviews are in scorching California, where the temps are hot and the fuel is crap as 91 is the best you can get.
      ya. I've been reading other car of the year testing articles from their RSS feed and they make mention of "the intense Mojave heat".
      - 2015.5 V60 Polestar #41/80 (BSM)
      - '98 MB C43 AMG w/an '01 E55 AMG engine, Penske 8100 racing dampers, adjustable spring perches, euro nav, ++more
      - '88 Mercedes Benz 560SL, stock

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by laundrypers View Post
      where are you located Foxy...I'm in Ontario,canada I've never heard of Vpower being any more than 93 octane...am I missing something I use Sunoco 94 which is the highest fuel available to my knowledge?
      I'm in switzerland. Shell V Power with 100 octane is the highest we got here. You can't get less then 95 octane (its called "super") here, it's the "worst" we have. All the "no petrolheads" use this fuel. All the petrolheads use the "superplus" with 98 octane or the Shell V Power with 100 octane...

German/Swiss V-Power is RON100 yes. Sunoco AKI 94 should be comparable.

There's also ARAL RON 102 available in Germany. Think this about the highest available octane pump gas there is in Europe.
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
      Is 93 octane the highest you guys get in the US?

Im using Shell V Power, 100 Octane. Polestar recommends min. 98 octane...
      The rating system in Europe is different than in the US and Canada. I believe 98 in Europe equates to 91 in the US and Canada which is standard "premium fuel". In both countries we generally have three grades. Regular (87) mid (89) and premium (91). Many stations also carry 93 and 94 as well as the odd station which will carry "race fuel" which is around 100 octane. I'd venture to say "race fuel" would be 107-110 octane in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      The rating system in Europe is different than in the US and Canada. I believe 98 in Europe equates to 91 in the US and Canada which is standard "premium fuel". In both countries we generally have three grades. Regular (87) mid (89) and premium (91). Many stations also carry 93 and 94 as well as the odd station which will carry "race fuel" which is around 100 octane. I'd venture to say "race fuel" would be 107-110 octane in Europe.
      As I said previously, 98 RON equates to 93 AKI. A simple google search will tell you this. Many places in the US do not have higher than 91 AKI, like California, unless you buy race fuel.
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M

RON, MON, AKI see here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Examples
      Polestar recommends 93 AKI or 98 RON and a minimum of 91 AKI or 95 RON.

Here is a review from one of the leading members of the Volvo owning community here in the UK. He tracks an S60R regularly, has a very well resolved 420bhp V40 T4 plus his Dad's old 240 and like myself is an evangelist for the brand but a critical observer of some aspects of the direction of it.

Review on the V60 Polestar

First off some context – as a prospective customer for one of these cars, and being somewhat ambivalent having read various reviews on the car, finally getting my mitts on one, to evaluate it for myself, was an offer too good to pass and I would like to express my thanks to Volvo UK and Polestar for the opportunity.

Quintessentially Swedish – whilst this may seem blindingly obvious, unlike the majority of its siblings, the V60 Polestar is built at the Torslanda plant in Gothenburg and has been a collaboration between Polestar and fellow Swedes including Ohlins (shock absorbers), Lesjöfors (springs) and Ferrita (active exhaust), amongst others.

Exterior

Understatement has historically been the order of the day for Volvos and this car is no exception – park it next to a V60 D2 in the same colour and apart from the wheels and brakes, it would take a purist to discern the two from a distance. The owners manual is at pains to highlight which of the wind-tunnel developed (aero) panels differ from the regular variants, but whilst they’re clearly functional, they’re not overt in the slightest.

The choice of colours is shared with all other variants in the range but there is no unique colour to set these cars apart, unlike with previous generations of performance oriented Volvos. Having seen the 508bhp S60 Polestar Concept, which did look stunning, I was really hoping that Polestar Blue (a.k.a. Swedish Racing Green) would be offered as an option for this Halo car, but that is unfortunately not the case.

508bhp Polestar Blue S60 Concept Car Looked Stunning!

Interior

You feel very snug and cocooned in this car – the Nubuck / leather seats offer good support and adjustment but are more plush than Sporty. The quick clearing windscreen, heated steering wheel (which thankfully lacks the Limited Edition numbering system used in some other markets) and heated seats (both front and rear) will be very welcome in the coming months. Volvos “floating” centre console can initially seem to be quite “busy” with lots of little buttons, but is fairly easy to get to grips with. However, the (sharp) edge of the panel on the drivers side is precisely where you would intuitively rest your left leg so it does get uncomfortable and annoying at times.

Not a fan of the numbering system used in some other markets

Volvo state these Limited Edition cars are based on the R-Design model, however, this particular car has been built as an SE LUX variant. Despite that it remains a very high specification vehicle with plenty of toys to keep the tech fanatics amongst us satisfied for some time, plus the car is absolutely loaded with passive safety features which are undoubtedly an indication of the route Volvo is heading with “Vision 2020”. The active TFT driver instrument panel is shared across all platforms and offers a choice of 3 themes, but why you would need an “ECO” mode in a 350bhp/500Nm 3litre 6-cylinder turbocharged engine is beyond me – it is akin to me deciding to run 950cc/min fuel injectors instead of 1000cc/min ones in the fervent belief that it will boost my eco-friendly credentials! It would have been much nicer to have one mode for Sport, or dare I say it, Track use, where some additional (and essential) information gauges like oil temperature and pressure were displayed.

ECO Mode......I've still not recovered from seeing it!

When driving at night, both door pockets and the drivers foot well are illuminated with soft glow LEDs and it is a pity that the same have not been used for the interior courtesy and map reading lights, in place of the existing conventional bulbs with their horrible yellow hue. To keep you singing along on those long drives, Harman Kardon’s Premium Audio system will impress most audiophiles amongst us, but demonstrates more so just how good the audio systems in Volvos of yesteryear have been, as it is the one item where near 10 years of evolution has not led to improvements which one would expect to be commensurate with that sort of time period.

Engine and Gearbox

The transverse mounted 6-cylinder twin-scroll turbocharged engine has a very wide torque spread and does feel like it still has quite a lot in reserve, which coupled with a progressive electronic throttle makes it feel very flexible. This is a bonus as the 6-speed automatic gearbox it is mated to needs precisely that. The gearbox is the one item I expected to absolutely detest, but in reality I couldn’t! It is old-school and slow for an auto-box in a modern day performance car, and does needlessly hunt through the gears when cruising, but is a vast improvement over the standard offering. Switching into sport mode instantly results in a quicker throttle response and you can use the flappy paddles to hold any given gear until you decide to change it, even if that means sitting on the rev-limiter if you don’t!

Sport mode also opens the two electronic actuators in the active exhaust system, resulting in a very un-Volvo like rasp which is never over-powering inside the cabin, but is accompanied by a screamer-pipe like whoosh when heard outside. Be prepared for pedestrians to look for the invisible car behind your V60 Polestar…..because it certainly can’t be a Volvo which is making that sort of noise! Launch control, whilst enabling swift progress, is a little underwhelming as you can feel the electronics holding the car back initially, presumably to protect the gearbox – fortunately you can use that function as often as you like though, with no requirement to sign disclaimers of any sort…..

In terms of all out performance, unlike its 508bhp bigger brother, this car isn’t devastatingly quick and will not break or set any records, but that isn’t its purpose either. As a first attempt at a full production performance variant, it’s full marks to Polestar for effort, as you can tell that there has been extensive (additional) engineering which has gone into this car. Some earlier speculation postulated that much higher performance cars from the likes of the “RS” and “M” stables will leave it for dead, and maybe they will, however, I don’t believe that was the intention. My view is that Volvo has unfortunately once again fallen into the same trap they did with the S60R and V70R variants in that their pricing and marketing strategy has inadvertently ended up pitting the car against much higher performance variants which they never intended it to.

Handling and Brakes

Within minutes of driving the car for the first time, it was apparent that this car was somewhat vague and nowhere near as positive as the pre-production model which I had been in for the run up the hill at Goodwood last August. Some cursory checks revealed that the tyres were grossly under-inflated and that the “Steering Force Level” had been set to low. With swift and simple rectification work, the level set to medium (its default setting), and the 20” Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres correctly inflated, the difference in steering feel and ride compliance was quite staggering and not what one would expect from a factory production Volvo car.

A chassis engineer from BMW “M” division once told me “There is no such thing as a bad road, only bad suspension” – now he’s clearly never driven on the B4040 in Gloucestershire, but 20 years on, I’m beginning to understand what he was getting at. As an out of the box package, the combination of 20 point adjustable Ohlins dampers with matching springs and roll-bars offer a firm but compliant ride, with only the slightest hint of harshness at very low speeds (under 20mph) on poor surfaces.

Start pushing the car hard though corners and all is forgiven as the combination of the suspension and stiff chassis comes into its own and the car starts to come alive. There is pure mechanical grip and traction here, no electronic damping trickery, which means that you can “attack” greasy autumnal country roads which are pot hole ridden and full of ruts, and still make alarming progress without it feeling uncomfortably hard or nerve-racking. Switching the “Steering Force Load” setting into “High” results in the feedback improving even more but in this mode there’s no mistaking the electrification of the system. Understeer is remarkably well controlled for a car of this weight and with the VSC switched off, the push from the rear becomes very discernible but never overwhelming. City driving is perfectly acceptable and there has been a significant improvement in the turning circle and absence of “side-hop” which did plague previous performance AWD variants.

Speed Sensitive Steering is shared with other variants

The biggest disappointment did not come with getting the car up to speed, but rather shedding it. With 371mm discs and 6-pot Brembos up front you would expect tremendous stopping power, but surprisingly, the brakes lacked feel. I don’t believe that fade would be a concern but pedal modulation certainly was and probably easily rectified with different (uprated) pads.

371mm Disc with Brembo 6-Pot anchors and shod with 245/35ZR20 Pilot Super Sport rubber

Maintenance

Here too I was pleasantly surprised and retail quotes from MRG Volvo in Chippenham came back as follows, and I’m sure there’s scope for some negotiation:

Routine Service - £250–£320

Major Service - £420

Front Brake Disc - £268

Front Brake Pad Kit – £337

245/35 ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport - £150 (online quote)

Service schedules and parts are available throughout the international dealer network so that there is no limitation to only having maintenance carried out in the markets within which the cars are sold, plus the cars are fully Volvo warranty compliant.

So Am I Buying One?

Well the answer in short is a resounding YES, I absolutely want to.........BUT I will not, and that’s primarily down to the eye-watering list-price of £49,775, a sentiment which has already been expressed in this thread.

The T6 R-Design variants (list price of around £40k when sold) weren’t huge sellers in the UK market and frequently attracted discounts of up to £9000, hence the current pricing does sound somewhat ambitious. I accept that the car has every single factory option fathomable, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that residuals have always been a weak point for the S60/V60 petrol range. The same V60 Polestars cost around £35k in Japan and the USA and closer to £60k in Switzerland, where they appear to be selling well, but other markets have really struggled to shift them quickly (e.g. Australia, who have dropped their retail price by around £6k just recently). I don’t believe that Volvo has ever been a “driveway jewellery” brand in the UK, and is all the better for it in my humble opinion, but just claiming that something is “premium” doesn’t necessarily automatically make it so in the eyes of prospective buyers, that’s an accolade which needs to be earned.

The V60 Plug-in Hybrid is probably the closest car there is to the V60 Polestar in terms of price, niche and limited numbers. Even this flagship variant has exchanged hands at close to half the list-price, through the UK dealer network only recently, and that was for a car which hadn’t even made it to its first birthday. These facts have made me feel a little jittery, and it would seem that I’m not alone as right this minute as a surprisingly large number of the initial batch of cars are up for sale (largely unregistered) on the likes of Autotrader and even eBay!

There will be one resounding Limited Edition appeal to this car though, and that is it will be the very last hurrah of the 6-cylinder turbo variants which Volvo produce – its replacement will have a 2litre 4-cylinder VEA (Volvo Engineering Architecture) twin-charged engine which ironically is more powerful in standard form, but will obviously lack the purity of that glorious 6-cylinder soundtrack.

The very last of the 6-pot turbos from Volvo

The V60 Polestar will certainly appeal to some, who like myself are looking for something a little bit quirky and different from the mainstream. I really wanted to feel that I was sitting in a £50k car, but sadly I didn’t. Hence, unless by some miracle the pricing structure changes, I will just have to ride out the next year and then start trawling the Volvo Selekt used car website and look out for the inevitable, OR I could be completely wrong and these cars will maintain rock solid residuals and I will regret my decision.....only time will tell!

If the pictures do not come through from my 'copy and paste' you will find them, in the context of a recent review and thread on our 'pistonheads' forum: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...A+Review&mid=0

Don.
      Last edited by don.norchi; 11-18-2014 at 02:49 AM.

The pics going with Don's forwarded review,

508bhp Polestar Blue S60 Concept Car Looked Stunning!

Not a fan of the numbering system used in some other markets

ECO Mode......I've still not recovered from seeing it!

371mm Disc with Brembo 6-Pot anchors and shod with 245/35ZR20 Pilot Super Sport rubber

The very last of the 6-pot turbos from Volvo

This was a very positive review, bit surprised considering the poster.

Most of the observations are fairly superfluous, so I do not see why it would be lent anymore weight than those made here by owners who also have lengthy resumes.

So you guys are pissed they are overpriced over there. I am sure you guys are right, and if that is the case, the market will bring the price to you since these will just sit.
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M

Quote Originally Posted by kenhoeve View Post

So you guys are pissed they are overpriced over there. I am sure you guys are right, and if that is the case, the market will bring the price to you since these will just sit.
      Currently 21 of 40 V's being offered from dealers in the Netherlands..

Thing is, the US version is priced at $60K Don't know how much tax is in there. My Apple tells me that makes roughly €48K. The pre tax price in the Netherlands, EU, no extreme around the world shipping and distribution costs, is set at €54K.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      Currently 21 of 40 V's being offered from dealers in the Netherlands..

Thing is, the US version is priced at $60K Don't know how much tax is in there. My Apple tells me that makes roughly €48K. The pre tax price in the Netherlands, EU, no extreme around the world shipping and distribution costs, is set at €54K.

Why?
      Because the U.S. market is much more price sensitive, they earn less money and the U.S. cars are cheeep..
      Here in Switzerland the Polestar is priced like a as good equipped T6 R-Design Summum, the difference is ,that you don't get a discount, like on a regular Volvo.

There is a new review from down under: http://performancedrive.com.au/2015-...n-launch-2815/

This is somewhat OT, but a wrap-up of something discussed earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by TomOldi View Post
      For shure, a Golf Wagon R will look like every 1,6 Diesel company car, parked every 200 meters next to the road, over here :-)
      A Golf R (5D) is a good drive, but it's a 4 Zylinder with sound composer, and with optional 19" a bit bumpy to drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      Sorry to say but there isn't that much differentiating the Polestar from the lesser V60's either.. Specially when using the 19" winter tires.
      A lot of D6 hybrids were sold in my country and also D2/D4's. Some also use 19" rims. All models can be had with R-Design package nowadays.
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      This may be true but I'd imagine most people would prefer their car to resemble a base V60 than a base Golf.
      If this is what "every other Golf" looks like (and I know they do not), then every other car manufacturer has a problem ... 'cuz this looks great.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/v...golf-r-variant

And has a cavernous cargo area (puts ours to shame). And I bet will drive great too. It is pretty much the only VW that pushes all the right buttons for me that I would likely buy; just like the V60P* is the only Volvo I ever wanted to, and did buy.

No word yet if we 'Americanerz' will ever get to enjoy it, so it's not making me wish I'd waited to get this vs. the V60P*. Tho I will wager the much lighter weight, and the 'trick' front diff used on new GTIs (assuming that's still used with 4-Motion) will allow it to turn quite well.
      - '98 MB C43 AMG w/an '01 E55 AMG engine, Penske 8100 racing dampers, adjustable spring perches, euro nav, ++more

Yes, like I said, this wagon is very very quick, considering it comes close to the performancelvel of the normal Golf R.

Positiv things over the V60 Polestar:
      + much lighter
      + transmission
      + fuel consumption
      + more space
      + probably faster around the track
      + way cheaper (fully loaded)

Negativ things over the V60 Polestar
      - doesnt look that good
      - sound
      - only 4 cylinder
      - its just a golf (not that exclusive)

Dont know which one I would have choose, if this was presented 6 months earlier
      Last edited by Foxy; 11-20-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Cross-posting here so we don't forget about this master review thread.

Thanx to karlusmagnus: http://www.tartantarmac.com/v60-pole...ssions-matter/

Must say tho, man, I had trouble understanding that guy. Like listening to Star Trek's Mr. Scott after he kills off a whole bottle 'a single malt on his own... Good observation about getting the shocks adjusted in the manner Volvo suggests.

Found this review, havent read it though, so dont know if its any good

http://www.caradvice.com.au/318872/v...he-real-world/

Quote Originally Posted by m8o View Post
      Oops. My bad.

Must say tho, man, I had trouble understanding that guy. Like listening to Star Trek's Mr. Scott after he kills off a whole bottle 'a single malt on his own... Good observation about getting the shocks adjusted in the manner Volvo suggests.
      Easier to understand when you have had a single malt

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
      Oops. My bad.

Easier to understand when you have had a single malt
      Yes, 23 yrs. old please.
      2015.5 #39 BSM V60 Polestar arrived 11-24-2014
      2004 V70R GT: SOLD Silver+Nordkap, Premium Sound+Subwoofer, Motorola BT, iMIV, IPD Stage II - DP - HDTCV, Kelly CAI, BMC, 10MM Spacers, Volvo DEM heat shield, '06 V70R console

Thanx to karlusmagnus: http://www.tartantarmac.com/v60-pole...ssions-matter/

Hi there, I'm Lee from the video. I never thought that the video would go much further than our shores, which was a bit naive. I can say that should you ever be over here, then more than enough single malt will be shared that language will not be a problem.
      Back to the car and I don't think I managed to get across how much I enjoyed driving it. Going from and Audi A4 Avant daily driver, 911 turbo and Maserati 4200 weekend cars, it was more than enough to accomplish everything I could ever ask if I only owned one car. I could see myself getting one in a few years, as already said the cost makes me think twice before buying as a daily driver. I think they've missed a trick with the cost, they would have wiped the floor with Audi and Merc if it had been more competitively priced in the UK. I'll be keeping an eye on second hand prices. Great car though and thanks for sharing the video.

Angelus, Fantastic to hear from you! Thanx for taking the time to join and post a few additional comments.

I had much the same thoughts you cite in regards to price in the mid 2000's when the E55 AMG wagon first came to the states (in supercharged 5.4L AMG engine form). With a price tag on the order of $80K USD at that time, and rear-wheel drive only, it wasn't practical enough, or handle well enough, and I didn't have income high enough, that I could justify that price tag as the daily driver I really wanted it to be.

The V60 Polestar ticks enough boxes in regards to practicality and performance, and most importantly raises the bar on handling enough [of the two ton vehicles that have become common place today] for me to spend an extra $10k than I formerly considered a high water mark for the cost of my daily driver, that I immediately started working towards ensuring I'd get my own allotment of the 80 coming here in May; it would have been $30K for the E55 AMG wagon back a decade ago, and over $50K more for today's E63 variant. So for me, and seemingly enough US customer, the V60 is in that sweet spot in the price/performance calculus. It's very unfortunate that cannot be said for all markets.

And glad you did not take offense to the manner I chose to describe the difficulty my ear had in coping with your enunciation. It was not intended as anything more than just colorfully describing my thoughts as my brain tried to dial-in to what is an accent to me.

Angelus, Fantastic to hear from you! Thanx for taking the time to join and post a few additional comments.

And glad you did not take offense to the manner I chose to describe the difficulty my ear had in coping with your enunciation. It was not intended as anything more than just colorfully describing my thoughts as my brain tried to dial-in to what is an accent to me.
      All good with me, you seem like a friendly bunch and if someone puts a video of themselves on the internet then they need to accept what other people think of it. I have been told my accent is rather strong, even by the natives. I'm not even Scottish, but that's a long story.

I do think the car would be worth the money, however my personal circumstance means that if I want to buy one I'll need to sell either my Porsche or Maserati. I realise that's a first world problem, however I'm not ready to do that just yet. We have quite a community of petrol heads here in Scotland and it would be sad if we don't have one here to enjoy. I stopped off at the dealership in Aberdeen and it got quite a reception. Genuine enthusiasts know how special they are and for anyone thinking about buying one, drive it. You won't be disappointed

Lee, very nice of you to come on to the forum and give us further insight into your thoughts on the forum. I'd like to make it over to Scotland, so if I do, I will hold you to the single malt.
      While I don't have a Polestar, I too was very impressed with it, particularly its composure and suspension set up. The sound can be intoxicating, but more and more manufacturers are creating sound bites fed into the cabin. Its more difficult to create a well balanced yet fast car, that ticks off many enthusiast boxes. I will make do with an R-Design, and hopefully upgrade in a few years.
      Lastly, I must say your accent had me fooled (I am Irish and am familiar with many scottish brethren), and I would not have guessed you to be a non-native Scot.
      All the best,
      Karl.

Not a review, but still cool:

2013 S60 T6 AWD R-Design | Rebel Blue | KPAX GT6 Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by S60 T5 Moosed View Post
      Not a review, but still cool:

Yes, pretty much my results. Just needs good octane fuel. With lower temps, could be a smidge faster.
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M

While also not a review, I got confirmation of when another one is coming. It looks like it was fairly well received and good things are expected to be said ...

2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar #13 | 1976 Triumph TR6

Anyone saw this review before?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w89Yor7Wxco

Can someone translate?

There may be a full/detailed evo review in the works. Found this teaser of theirs in the mean time: http://www.evo.co.uk/volvo/v60/15080...ion-inside-evo

Evo already reviewed the car. - they didnt like it that much...

Check the date. What I saw was the early preview event in April/May of last year. All the car rags were there. Many are giving it a full review now that it's in their hands at home. Which is what looks like is going on to me.

edit: Or is there a review but in the published paper mag only and I haven't been out of the house to see that yet?

As to the conclusion, ya, not as much love from the brits proportional to the rest of the world. No need to rehash why here (we know, we know -lol). But if their 0-60 test is any indication, with them getting only 5 sec. out of it where C&D managed to squeeze 4.5 sec from their S60 tester (I'm guessing C&D used manual mode and evo used auto/S shifting) this test won't go so well either.
      Last edited by m8o; 01-29-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo ... damn auto-correct

...not as much love from the brits proportional to the rest of the world.
      Most of the brits seem to complain that the ride is too harsh. Here's a new review from Autoweek, mostly more of the same.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...r-review-notes
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar #13 | 1976 Triumph TR6

Quote Originally Posted by gtsxr View Post
      Most of the brits seem to complain that the ride is too harsh. Here's a new review from Autoweek, mostly more of the same.
      Well let me tell the world. This Ohlin sourced damper Polestar employed is down-right luxurious next to the 'digressive' valved dampers used as OEM on my C43 AMG. It went out of its way to resist any compression of the suspension over irregularities of a road pushed up by expansion. Now that was harsh! These testers of today don't know harsh! (j/k ... many of the testers of today were testing back then. But I think they forget. )

Quote Originally Posted by gtsxr View Post

"Chassis control is outstanding, especially with AWD, but every bump and wiggle is telegraphed directly into the cabin -- and not in the good “I know exactly what the car is doing” sense, but rather the “Oh crap I swallowed a filling” sense. It’s not firm, it’s just harsh, and it amplifies the flex and rattles the S60 is already prone to."

For those who have driven/owned the previous generation R or an S80, please compare flex and rattles regarding this highly critical comment from the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Collins View Post
      "Chassis control is outstanding, especially with AWD, but every bump and wiggle is telegraphed directly into the cabin -- and not in the good “I know exactly what the car is doing” sense, but rather the “Oh crap I swallowed a filling” sense. It’s not firm, it’s just harsh, and it amplifies the flex and rattles the S60 is already prone to."
      I can't answer your question but I can confirm that description is completely inaccurate to my experience. I find the wagon at least to be i-beam square and silent inside over the big hits and NEVER "I think I swallowed a filling" crashy; never ever ever. Suspension is never harsh. I run those tires. It makes be believe they were given a car with the PA4 snow tires @ 40 or 42 psi, and maybe dampers adjustment increased in resistance, setup for track time by whoever provided the tester; that this is even possible from a manufacturer is great, but a double-edge sword. Many good things were said too. I just can't allow what is one of the best suspensions offered on a car stock, to be disparaged so inaccurately.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast