Official Polestar Q&A thread - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by TexasV70R View Post
      What is the recommended break-in procedures for our Polestars?
      Thanks, #39 in Dallas, Texas
      Hi TexasV70R,

Here are our recommendations in terms of break-in:

The brakes of the S60 and V60 Polestar are of high performance with genes from the racing circuits and require special treatment in order to reach their full potential. With all-new brakes and after service of brakes you need to bed in the brakes. This is a running in where you periodically heat the brakes to a high working temperature. The brakes will of course work properly without bedding them in, but this is recommended to perform in order to get maximum performance.

NOTE! Perform the bedding of the brakes in a safe area, preferably on a closed circuit.

1. 20 light slowdowns from 70 km/h to 30 km/h, with a gap of 500 meters
      2. 10 medium slowdowns from 90 km/h to 50 km/h, with a gap of 1000 meters
      3. 10 hard slowdowns (without activating the ABS system) from 120 km/h to 50 km/h, as close in distance as you can in order to get the brakes really hot.
      4. End by driving 10 kilometres without braking hard in order to cool the brakes down.

– For a continued maximised functionality you are recommended to brake forcefully periodically. The brakes are constructed to be used on a high level and often.
      – We recommend to change to new brake fluid ahead of a circuit visit or other inspired driving activities.
      – We recommend to heat up the brakes after washing the car to secure maximum performance.
      – Just as with all engines, we recommend a careful running in for at least the first 1000 kilometres. After 1000 kilometres you can start using the engine at higher revs (over 4000 rpm) more regularly at high load. This ensures the engine and gearbox to deliver high performance long term. Polestar also recommends using the highest possible octane on the fuel in order to get maximum power and minimum consumption, although it is not a requirement.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What does the future hold for Polestar vehicles? There are a lot of people interested in this vehicle with only 80-100 units available? More planned for the future? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the break-in details. I'm sure we all want to get the most out of our new Polestars.
      Also, thanks for such a personalized addition to our forum. Jeff
      2015.5 #39 BSM V60 Polestar arrived 11-24-2014
      2004 V70R GT: SOLD Silver+Nordkap, Premium Sound+Subwoofer, Motorola BT, iMIV, IPD Stage II - DP - HDTCV, Kelly CAI, BMC, 10MM Spacers, Volvo DEM heat shield, '06 V70R console

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PolestarOfficial View Post
      1 – Thanks for the feedback, it looks like an older draft version has been posted by mistake. We will look into it asap!
      Any update on getting the correct version of the U.S. Polestar brochure posted? Could you post a link here?

Btw, the Volvo Cars U.S. website no longer shows the 2015 Polestar pages.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar #15/80, Matte Rebel Blue
      1993 Volvo 850 GLT, Red, 170K miles (gift to family)
      1979 Volvo 265 GL, Blue (sold)

This is purely a hypothetical question, the polestar is without question an awesome car, I have no intention to modify mine, nonetheless, if I did want to push the envelope, where would I start? You took the S60 Polestar concept to over 500 HP, of course that had a modified M66 manual. I doubt the auto could take that, but given a modest torque curve, it could certainly handle more HP. I know we might get some trickle down effect as you further refine the performance aspects of this car.
      Given that no car is ever perfect, I have a tendency to try and augment a car with aftermarket parts, this car I will not do that, unless it's a Polestar/Volvo sanctioned part, I won't go there. Sorry I have a problem, I have heavily modified my last 2 volvo's, is there a Volvo AA I can attend?
      1982 Volvo GLT w/ small block V8, T5 manual tranny and a bunch of stuff. to handle and go fast
      Gone and totaled V50 with a few mods, K16, Enem cams 3' DP and cat back, KW V2 coilovers, etc. I miss that one
      2015.5 Polestar V60 BSM #44/80

Haha, Volvo AA = Augmentors Anonymous?

I agree with you Madden. That's why I'm buying a Polestar as it has already been further engineered by a successful racing company. Thanks Polestar and Volvo!

I will only augment my Polestar with items like window tint, some/all wrapping, subwoofer, rust protect rear rotors, etc.
      Last edited by Opus007; 09-08-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricklee View Post
      What does the future hold for Polestar vehicles? There are a lot of people interested in this vehicle with only 80-100 units available? More planned for the future? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We are not doing the S/V60 Polestar as a first and only model, there is more exciting things to come in the future which we can't tell you about just yet

Quote Originally Posted by Opus007 View Post
      Any update on getting the correct version of the U.S. Polestar brochure posted? Could you post a link here?

Btw, the Volvo Cars U.S. website no longer shows the 2015 Polestar pages.
      Sorry for the delay, but here it is: http://bit.ly/1ry8lFU

You need to register to our Media Database in order to get access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by madden View Post
      This is purely a hypothetical question, the polestar is without question an awesome car, I have no intention to modify mine, nonetheless, if I did want to push the envelope, where would I start? You took the S60 Polestar concept to over 500 HP, of course that had a modified M66 manual. I doubt the auto could take that, but given a modest torque curve, it could certainly handle more HP. I know we might get some trickle down effect as you further refine the performance aspects of this car.
      Given that no car is ever perfect, I have a tendency to try and augment a car with aftermarket parts, this car I will not do that, unless it's a Polestar/Volvo sanctioned part, I won't go there. Sorry I have a problem, I have heavily modified my last 2 volvo's, is there a Volvo AA I can attend?
      We understand your thoughts, but we do not recommend any changes to be made with after market parts on the cars.

Sorry for the delay, but here it is: http://bit.ly/1ry8lFU

You need to register to our Media Database in order to get access to it.
      Thanks! Actually that link was for the Polestar Owners Manual. I was waiting for that as well.

Could you also post the correct U.S. Polestar brochure to the Media Database?

We understand your thoughts, but we do not recommend any changes to be made with after market parts on the cars.
      I understand that, I will not put anything on this car that is not sanctioned by Volvo/Polestar. The car does not really need anything, you have already done everything I would normally do, bigger FMIC, reworked turbo, free flow exhaust, suspension and brake upgrades,strut brace,etc. My only plans at this point are cosmetic,tint and maybe painting the rear diffuser gloss black. I am pretty excited, I got an e-mail from the dealer today that said they expect my V60 "very soon". I'll know tomorrow what "very soon" actually means.
      I think the Polestar is actually a pretty good deal for what you get on top of a fully loaded V60. I have never bought a fully loaded car before, usually the only things I add are performance upgrades. It will be kind of nice to have a car with all the safety features a fully loaded V60 has.
      1982 Volvo GLT w/ small block V8, T5 manual tranny and a bunch of stuff. to handle and go fast
      Gone and totaled V50 with a few mods, K16, Enem cams 3' DP and cat back, KW V2 coilovers, etc. I miss that one

Hi everyone!
      I'm looking for some helpful input from you guys. I've had my V60 Polestar for almost a week and have 238 miles on the car. It's been great, but the tire noise is very intrusive , especially on the highways made of concrete. The noise is very, very loud and changes pitches with every change in road pattern. I have the same Michelin PSS on my M4 (but in 19") so I'm familiar with the tire and my M4 doesn't have a fraction of the tire noise I experience with my polestar. I lowered the psi to 37 all around (they were at 40-41 at delivery) but there hasn't been a difference. I'm thinking there might be something else going on (wheel bearings?). Any insight would be grateful. Thank you in advance
      2015.5 V60 Polestar (#62:80); 2015--F82 ///M4 [ED 6/26/14];
      2012--E92 335is*; 2011--E70 X5d; 2011--E89 Z435is*; 2009--E89 Z435i*;
      2008--E92 335i [ED 2/23/08]*; 2007--MkV GTI*; 2006--E90 330i*;
      2005--E83 X3*; 2004--E83 X3*; 2003--E46 325Ci* *retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kief View Post
      I'm looking for some helpful input from you guys. I've had my V60 Polestar for almost a week and have 238 miles on the car. It's been great, but the tire noise is very intrusive , especially on the highways made of concrete. The noise is very, very loud and changes pitches with every change in road pattern. I have the same Michelin PSS on my M4 (but in 19") so I'm familiar with the tire and my M4 doesn't have a fraction of the tire noise I experience with my polestar. I lowered the psi to 37 all around (they were at 40-41 at delivery) but there hasn't been a difference. I'm thinking there might be something else going on (wheel bearings?). Any insight would be grateful. Thank you in advance
      Sorry to hear that you feel the noise is intrusive. There is tire noise of varying degree on different surfaces (concrete can tend to increase it) as it is a wide tire, but it is hard for us to judge the level without being in the car. Your tyre pressure looks right and it should not be a wheel bearing. If you feel it is something not right, visit your local Volvo dealer.

Just a thought, have you ever considered giving the Polestars a different model #, e.g. V60P/S60P to differentiate them from a standard Volvo, Mercedes tags their performance models with an AMG tag, BMW M, why not a P? It would have a historical tie-in to P1800. I think you missed the boat on this one, there's no harm touting your own horn, it's hard to explain to someone I got a V60 Polestar, there like "what is that?" Once Volvo and Polestar ramp this up, which I sincerely hope you do, a V60P will take on greater meaning. Oh, an M series BMW, oh an AMG Mercedes, oh a P series Volvo, much better than the standard offerings, these are performance cars! Right now, no one would know what a V60P is, build on it and they will.

Just a thought, have you ever considered giving the Polestars a different model #, e.g. V60P/S60P to differentiate them from a standard Volvo, Mercedes tags their performance models with an AMG tag, BMW M, why not a P? It would have a historical tie-in to P1800. I think you missed the boat on this one, there's no harm touting your own horn, it's hard to explain to someone I got a V60 Polestar, there like "what is that?" Once Volvo and Polestar ramp this up, which I sincerely hope you do, a V60P will take on greater meaning. Oh, an M series BMW, oh an AMG Mercedes, oh a P series Volvo, much better than the standard offerings, these are performance cars! Right now, no one would know what a V60P is, build on it and they will.
      X2

Thank you for the feedback, we will take it with us. For now though we are going to use the Polestar addition to the existing Volvo model names.

Quote Originally Posted by Kief View Post
      I have had the Michelin Pss in 19" on two different S60s and they had the same noise. After talking with people at Tire rack it was decided that the noise is caused by the groves in the roads in California. Short having the roads repaved there is nothing you can do.
      POLESTAR 1

Thank you for the feedback, we will take it with us. For now though we are going to use the Polestar addition to the existing Volvo model names.
      That's a mistake from a marketing standpoint, the name is too long and doesn't mean anything to anyone outside of a small niche, does this mean anything to anyone BMW M, Audi S,Audi RS, Mercedes AMG, Volvo R, establish the brand and simplify.

I for one, would keep it as Polestar too. Polestar is short and sweet enough for me. This, coming from an "AMG" owner and until very recently a "John Cooper Works" [JCW] owner too.

Interestingly, I've said both "JCW" and "John Cooper Works" to enough people to tell you the latter had more name recognition than the former even tho it was the shorter 'TLA' that you think is required to succeed. Said another way, I'd often have to follow "JCW" with "John Cooper Works", but never the opposite. ....ssssoooo.... seems 'Polestar' should get traction to me to denote the extra special level of kit. Like Mini's 'GP' or AMG's 'Black Series'.
      Last edited by m8o; 09-10-2014 at 12:02 AM.
      - 2015.5 V60 Polestar #41/80 (BSM)
      - '98 MB C43 AMG w/an '01 E55 AMG engine, Penske 8100 racing dampers, adjustable spring perches, euro nav, ++more
      - '88 Mercedes Benz 560SL, stock

Quote Originally Posted by DANIEL A View Post
      I have had the Michelin Pss in 19" on two different S60s and they had the same noise. After talking with people at Tire rack it was decided that the noise is caused by the groves in the roads in California. Short having the roads repaved there is nothing you can do.
      I'm just surprised by the marked difference between noise on my Mw/19" PSS and my Polestarw/20" PSS. Perhaps the staggered set up on the M does make a difference. It's not like I'm unfamiliar with summer performance tires and expect them to be Lexus-whisper quiet. It's very pronounced and I will likely take it in to get checked out. I'll keep you guys posted

Sorry to hear that you feel the noise is intrusive. There is tire noise of varying degree on different surfaces (concrete can tend to increase it) as it is a wide tire, but it is hard for us to judge the level without being in the car. Your tyre pressure looks right and it should not be a wheel bearing. If you feel it is something not right, visit your local Volvo dealer.
      No I understand, and I genuinely appreciate you guys actively being here to help answer our questions. It's great to be able to gain the insight/recommendations from Polestar directly!
      The tires are relatively wide, but I'm no stranger to even wider tires without this specific noise intrusion. My M has 255/35/19 front, 275/35/19 rear, and the X5d my wife traded in for this Polestar had 275/40/20 front and 315/35/20. Of course these are different vehicles, but just putting things into context. I'm going to monitor this, as I also hear an inconsistent "chirp" coming from the left front suspension. The noise does not appear to be related to speed or road imperfections/suspension travel and is difficult to duplicate. Not sure if these two issues are somehow related.

First forum post! Looking at demo Polestar.

Question about Polestar manual posted on recent thread: Page 11 lower-left paragraph appear to state that driving in S-mode or Manual is only recommended on a closed course. Is this correct.

Because I expect to only drive public roads, is it recommended I only drive in D-mode?

Seems like this would defeat the purpose of buying a Polestar...

Quote Originally Posted by dalex View Post
      First forum post! Looking at demo Polestar.

Question about Polestar manual posted on recent thread: Page 11 lower-left paragraph appear to state that driving in S-mode or Manual is only recommended on a closed course. Is this correct.

Because I expect to only drive public roads, is it recommended I only drive in D-mode?

Seems like this would defeat the purpose of buying a Polestar...
      The sport mode can be enjoyed on a closed course as well as public roads. The change you get is a different exhaust sound and faster shifts.

Don't forget to try the ESC off mode (carefully of course) as the Haldex system changes to a more rear-wheel biased mode.

If you combine the above mentioned modes, you can use the launch control function as well. It is easily operated, just put your foot firmly on the brake and then on the gas pedal. The car builds turbo boost during 5 seconds during which you just let go of the brake pedal and off you go.

Of course, try all the above mentioned feature with caution and preferably on a closed course.

Quote Originally Posted by kcir View Post
      what are the sport mode percentages front to rear

thx
      There is not a set percentage with the Haldex system, in theory you can get 100% to the rear wheels if the front wheels were to stand on ice. But on average in sport mode it is about 50/50, but changing due to various factors such as speed, grip, etc.

I've read lot's of reviews of the super sports fitted to the Polestar, a complaint about road noise, especially on concrete is not uncommon. The consensus is however they have amazing grip wet or dry, confidence inspiring when pushed. They don't have great longevity either, maybe 15K before replacement. I am OK with that.
      The problem is not the width of the tires, I don't know what tires you have on the BMW, but asymmetric treads will be a lot quieter than directional treads. I hope you sort it out.

The sport mode can be enjoyed on a closed course as well as public roads. The change you get is a different exhaust sound and faster shifts.

Don't forget to try the ESC off mode (carefully of course) as the Haldex system changes to a more rear-wheel biased mode.

If you combine the above mentioned modes, you can use the launch control function as well. It is easily operated, just put your foot firmly on the brake and then on the gas pedal. The car builds turbo boost during 5 seconds during which you just let go of the brake pedal and off you go.

Of course, try all the above mentioned feature with caution and preferably on a closed course.
      Thank you for the explanation.

Can the exhaust sound and the higher/faster shifts be independently controlled like on the new Audi S3? From what I'm reading, I think the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by dalex View Post
      Thank you for the explanation.

Can the exhaust sound and the higher/faster shifts be independently controlled like on the new Audi S3? From what I'm reading, I think the answer is no.
      The faster shifts and exhaust sound change when you have the gear leaver in sport mode.

I have a question about some parts of the interior of the car. Many of the press pictures that I've seen so far have had thumb wheels on both the left and right sides of the steering wheel. However, the pictures I have seen from U.S. customers posted on this forum only have a thumb wheel on the right side of the steering wheel and not the left. I have two questions about this:

1. What does that thumb wheel on the left side do?

2. Why isn't it on the cars that are being delivered to customers in the U.S.?

Thanks for taking my question!

Quote Originally Posted by hensonje View Post
      I have a question about some parts of the interior of the car. Many of the press pictures that I've seen so far have had thumb wheels on both the left and right sides of the steering wheel. However, the pictures I have seen from U.S. customers posted on this forum only have a thumb wheel on the right side of the steering wheel and not the left. I have two questions about this:

The pictures you have seen are from the pre-production cars and the first press cars. Those cars did not have the steering wheel of the latest MY15 S/V60 which the cars that are being delivered to customers and dealers now have. There is no change in function, only that the thumb wheel has been changed to buttons instead.

On the MY2015.5 S/V60 Polestar, the left side of the steering wheel is the adaptive cruise controls. See pages 177-190 in the Volvo Owners Manual. There is no thumb wheel in the current ACC controls.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/your...s/default.aspx
      Last edited by Opus007; 09-11-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hensonje View Post

There is, and was, always a difference between US and Euro Cars, equipped with ACC. Cars without left thumb wheel don't have the speed limiter.
      For the US, the standard is no speed limiter. ACC function are the same, we adjust the distance with the left thumb wheel, u do it by two buttons.

Hi everyone!

We are very glad to see the interest for Polestar at Swedespeed, so we thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can answer your questions about our cars, software, racing and more. Note that some questions must be directed to Volvo, such as delivery dates.

For anyone new to Polestar, feel free to have a look at our channels:

www.polestar.com
      www.facebook.com/polestar.official
      www.twitter.com/PolestarRace
      www.instagram.com/volvopolestar

Kind regards,
      Polestar
      Good Morning.....
      Great thread!!!
      I have specific questions regarding your software upgrade, which I recently had installed by my dealer.
      My 2010 C70 has a 6mt (the smoothest stock manual tranny I have ever driven, BTW).
      1) Is the ECU programming DIFFERENT for the 6mt versus the automatic?
      2) Has the redline increased? If so, what is the new top-end?
      3) Are there any other Polestar upgrades available for my vehicle?

Thank you, again, for your very prompt replies!
      Kind regards,

TM
      Last edited by C706mtTM; 09-11-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Thank you PolestarOfficial for all the answers so far. I have a few more...

- Can you give us your name(s) (plural, in-case multiple people are answering) or should we continue to address you as your handle?

- Does the Polestar customized S/V60 have different alignment specifications compared to a stock S/V60? If so, can you please share the specs here?

- Does the Polestar customized S/V60 have adjustable links out-back [and/or up-front if there were any not already adjustable] where the stock S/V60 has fixed links?

Most often "adjustable camber arms" are produced aftermarket for the rear suspension that we can put on our lowered car, but others such as those that allow for the rear-toe to be adjusted are perhaps less common but arguably more important to the tailoring a vehicle's handling. So I'm wondering if part of the Polestar enhancement are the addition of those types of adjustable links we may have purchased aftermarket for our other cars? ...Or, if perhaps not adjustable are some of the links simply different from the 'stock' vehicle contributing to the Polestar's enhanced handling?

Thanx,
      -steve
      - 2015.5 V60 Polestar #41/80 (BSM)
      - '98 MB C43 AMG w/an '01 E55 AMG engine, Penske 8100 racing dampers, adjustable spring perches, euro nav, ++more
      - '88 Mercedes Benz 560SL, stock

Quote Originally Posted by C706mtTM View Post
      Good Morning.....
      Great thread!!!
      I have specific questions regarding your software upgrade, which I recently had installed by my dealer.
      My 2010 C70 has a 6mt (the smoothest stock manual tranny I have ever driven, BTW).
      1) Is the ECU programming DIFFERENT for the 6mt versus the automatic?
      2) Has the redline increased? If so, what is the new top-end?
      3) Are there any other Polestar upgrades available for my vehicle?

Thank you, again, for your very prompt replies!
      Kind regards,

TM
      Good morning,

1 –*There are various parameters in the software that are different between the various model variations, such as year model, gearbox, market specific specifications, etc. But not in terms of performance.
      2 –*The redline remains the same.
      3*–*Currently we are only offering the Polestar optimisation.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by m8o View Post
      Thank you PolestarOfficial for all the answers so far. I have a few more...

- Can you give us your name(s) (plural, in-case multiple people are answering) or should we continue to address you as your handle?

- Does the Polestar customized S/V60 have different alignment specifications compared to a stock S/V60? If so, can you please share the specs here?

- Does the Polestar customized S/V60 have adjustable links out-back [and/or up-front if there were any not already adjustable] where the stock S/V60 has fixed links?

Most often "adjustable camber arms" are produced aftermarket for the rear suspension that we can put on our lowered car, but others such as those that allow for the rear-toe to be adjusted are perhaps less common but arguably more important to the tailoring a vehicle's handling. So I'm wondering if part of the Polestar enhancement are the addition of those types of adjustable links we may have purchased aftermarket for our other cars? ...Or, if perhaps not adjustable are some of the links simply different from the 'stock' vehicle contributing to the Polestar's enhanced handling?

Thanx,
      -steve
      1 – Continue to address us in the way you are
      2 –*The alignment specifications are the same as the standard T6 R-Design.
      3 – The links are not adjustable.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast