Modding The Digital Display
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Modding The Digital Display

Let me throw a couple of disclaimers up here first. If I am suggesting anything unethical, illegal or unsafe, I am immediately requesting the moderator kill this thread and I apologize in advance. I have no intention of supporting or promoting such activities.

Now having said all that . . .

While waiting on my 2015.5 V60 to be delivered, I have been doing what any good car owner should be doing: reading the manual to see how my car will operate. One of the things I gleaned from this advance reading is that a Linux variant is used as the “operating system” for my V60. Major cool! Holding onto that thought I began reading about the Digital Display my car will be equipped with. Maybe you can see where this is going.

I really like the look of the digital speedometer readout on the Performance Theme, but don’t really care for the rest of that Theme. (Hey, just my taste in things, no judgement!) Linux is open source, and the display is digitally controlled so . . .

Is it possible to mod the Eco or Elegance Theme to get the digital speedometer with the other Themes? Or even create my own custom instrument display? More color schemes? According to the manual, the source code used by Volvo can be (legally) requested if you are willing to pay a non-specified fee. I am not a programmer, just a beginner Linux user, but if I could hook up with someone more knowledgeable this type of mod sounds like it is theoretically possible.

Again, I am asking this as idle speculation and am not looking to subvert the system, break any laws or put anyone in danger.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That would be so cool. Could even start a business of specialized themes and backgrounds. Could add a bunch of gauges that Volvo left out...
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by PghDragonman View Post
      According to the manual, the source code used by Volvo can be (legally) requested if you are willing to pay a non-specified fee. I am not a programmer, just a beginner Linux user, but if I could hook up with someone more knowledgeable this type of mod sounds like it is theoretically possible.
      That sounds like a violation of my understanding of the GPL (GNU public license) -- if you use GPL covered code in a commercial product, you have to release that code for free.

I know a bit about UNIX/Linux (look for my full name on Amazon.com).

Do you have the manual page # & URL handy? I'd like to take a look (but don't want to invest a lot of time trying to find it).
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I've come across references to the code (so far) in two manuals and they are slightly contradictory. The references are as follows:

2015.5-Volvo-V60-Owners-Manual-v1.pdf
      Pg 21, opening paragraph
      "Volvo Car Corporation (VCC) offers to provide the source code of said free/open source software to you for a charge covering the cost of performing such distribution, such as the cost of media, shipping and handling, upon written request."

2015.5-Sensus-Infotainment-supplement-v1.pdf
      Pg 87, middle column
      "You may download Source Code from the following website at no charge: http://www.embedded-carmultimedia.jp/linux/oss/download/TVM_8351_013"

That first reference sounds like a standard P&H fee kind of thing, so I don't know if it is a violation of the GNU agreement. There is a link after this paragraph to the license agreement if you are so inclined to check that out. The second reference provides an actual link for you to do the download. Since that is in another manual, I'm not sure if that is the same source code referenced in the Owner's Manual or not.

BTW, I just got the phone call yesterday that my car is in and I'm setup to pick it up on Saturday!

I could be wrong here, so if anybody knows more, please enlighten me.

I'm under the impression that there are 3 (at least) computers.

1. Console. It would not running linux. As in what it does is very specific and real-time. I would think that it'd be a single chip or FPGA thingo that does a lot of listening to the CANBUS and updating the display.
      2. Sensus. I think it is running QNX. I really want to modify this so as to show things like boost pressure, oil/engine temperature, etc. More diagnostic stuff.
      3. Sensus Connect. This is running Linux (made by Parrot. It's an add on in the glovebox. It talks to Sensus (QNX) as another application.

All this is based off what little exploring I've done with our MY13 XC70. It doesn't have the digital console or Sensus Connect.

Some questions back at'cha:

What is "FPGA"?

What is "CANBUS"

What is "QNX"?

Being a (relative) newbie to all this I just don't know how to parse those acronyms. All I know about what I've posted comes direct from the downloadable manuals. I did take advantage of the link in the Sensus Infotainment link I previously quoted and downloaded the source code, but I am still working on unpacking it . . . and then I'm *STILL* not sure what to do with it.

Next few days will be devoted to learning my new V60, so I may not reply for a while.

No worries. Sorry for using all the acronyms.

1) FPGA - Field Programmable Gate Array. Essentially a chip that can be programmed after it's made. Kind of like a CPU but more dedicated to one task. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-p...ble_gate_array

2) CANBUS - The bus/network that all the car's system information is on (engine management, airbag sensors, tire pressure sensors, etc). The little OBD port next to the hood lever is where you can plug into the bus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

3) QNX - A UNIX like real time OS. http://www.qnx.com/products/qnxcar/index.html

So I grabbed the source code from your previous post. Decompressed and untared it. It only contains the GPL code that they use. Such as glibc, busybox, tacc. All things that you can get from their original sources online. Nothing that Volvo or anybody else has added on-top to do what they use it for.

By the way, if you look at job postings for Volvo the infotainment ads only specify Linux (embedded Yocto), so maybe the new system seen in the XC90 is Linux based and not QNX.

Good luck with your new V60! I'm sure your going to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PghDragonman View Post
      I've come across references to the code (so far) in two manuals and they are slightly contradictory. The references are as follows:

2015.5-Volvo-V60-Owners-Manual-v1.pdf
      Pg 21, opening paragraph
      "Volvo Car Corporation (VCC) offers to provide the source code of said free/open source software to you for a charge covering the cost of performing such distribution, such as the cost of media, shipping and handling, upon written request."

2015.5-Sensus-Infotainment-supplement-v1.pdf
      Pg 87, middle column
      "You may download Source Code from the following website at no charge: http://www.embedded-carmultimedia.jp/linux/oss/download/TVM_8351_013"

That first reference sounds like a standard P&H fee kind of thing, so I don't know if it is a violation of the GNU agreement. There is a link after this paragraph to the license agreement if you are so inclined to check that out. The second reference provides an actual link for you to do the download. Since that is in another manual, I'm not sure if that is the same source code referenced in the Owner's Manual or not.

BTW, I just got the phone call yesterday that my car is in and I'm setup to pick it up on Saturday!
      Yes, they are allowed to have reasonable charges if you want media. I'll have to check out the download.

Any more news? Did you manage to get an ssh connection?

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements