Facelift S40 Users, Real LED DRL Options??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 49
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372

      Facelift S40 Users, Real LED DRL Options??

      Hey guys, so for my next project I wanted to put in super bright LED DRL in the city light position of my headlights. Currently I have high lumen COB LEDs in the housing, so the reflector is making the light appear blocky rather than sharp and bright. I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I want to just do what some others do and get Angel Eyes, but it seems way too common and I like the idea of having a strip going vertically (I've only ever seen this on two cars, the S40 and Maserati GranTurismo). So I was thinking about ordering the parts and opening my headlight to either put in this:
      http://supra-tuning.ru/avtosvet/ange...0#.VDJZGikR5lp
      or
      modifying the LED DRLs from the new XC60s to fit our housings. Does anyone else have any other ideas on this? Or have done similar things? If so can you show me pictures of your set-up?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member jondevieonS40's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      ABQ New Mexico
      Posts
      2,587
      I've seen a lot of people, myself included, do halos and I think they look great plus you can always do different color schemes.

      I've seen a few with a led line coming across the bottom of the housing like an Audi or Lexus style by that looked tacky to me.




      "Embody god... Then go crazy"
      [2005 Volvo S40 2.4i][2008 Volvo S40 T5 AWD][2008 Volvo C3 T5 2.0 RS Build][2009 Volvo V50 T5 AWD R-Design][1987 Buick Grand National] "embody God, then go crazy"

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      I've seen a lot of people, myself included, do halos and I think they look great plus you can always do different color schemes.

      I've seen a few with a led line coming across the bottom of the housing like an Audi or Lexus style by that looked tacky to me.




      "Embody god... Then go crazy"
      Do you have pictures of your halos installed? Is it the thinner ring like the link or the thicker ring?


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      I love my halos no regrets doing then people at my bros school flip when I pull up with them set to green lol

      You only see the individual less when standing up close to the car, red more so.

      Later on in going to open the headlights so I can black out the Orange reflector, so ill mount the diffuser covers for the angel eyes








      Also you can pull of the Audi style drl, but use these, search Audi tube led on eBay.



      Keep us updated on your project
      Last edited by airjordan117; 10-06-2014 at 11:20 AM.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Quote Originally Posted by airjordan117 View Post
      I love my halos no regrets doing then people at my bros school flip when I pull up with them set to green lol

      You only see the individual less when standing up close to the car, red more so.

      Later on in going to open the headlights so I can black out the Orange reflector, so ill mount the diffuser covers for the angel eyes








      Also you can pull of the Audi style drl, but use these, search Audi tube led on eBay.



      Keep us updated on your project
      Ya I looked at the audi tube lights, some pictures they appear dim while on other cars they look vibrant. Where did you get your LED fog strips? And I see you went with dual angels, is that something that would work on face-lift headlights?


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    8. #6
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmo08 View Post
      Ya I looked at the audi tube lights, some pictures they appear dim while on other cars they look vibrant. Where did you get your LED fog strips? And I see you went with dual angels, is that something that would work on face-lift headlights?


      Sent with my carrier pigeon
      Face lift I don't know what size rings you would need I haven't seen any facelift s40's here with halos..
      Maybe someone else can contribute?

      As for my led bars on the bottom, they were a gift they aren't too bright up close, but are very visible from far
      I'm sure you can find something on eBay

      (This pic was before I got halos)


    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Posts
      51
      Those LED strips in the fogs look pretty good ad are consistent enough with Volvo's current LED DRL styling (see facelifted S60) that they look OEM-ish. Not a huge fan of the halos, though - angel eyes are BMW's thing.

    10. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dwells View Post
      Those LED strips in the fogs look pretty good ad are consistent enough with Volvo's current LED DRL styling (see facelifted S60) that they look OEM-ish. Not a huge fan of the halos, though - angel eyes are BMW's thing.
      I agree they are a BMW thing, but then again I like BMW as well so

    11. #9
      Member rentalcar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      Stockholm, Sweden
      Posts
      1,401
      I've only heard that there could be some problems adding a halo to a facelifted xenon headlight. But that russian website seem like they got around it.
      If I remember correctly, there's not much room to place a halo on the blue xenon ring but then again, it was quite some time ago people talked about it and maybe you could fit an el wire onto it instead of those LED rings.
      Current:
      Volvo V90 T5 R-design MY18

      Previous:
      Volvo V50 1.8F "R-design" MY08
      VW Golf 3 GT '94

    12. #10
      Quote Originally Posted by rentalcar View Post
      I've only heard that there could be some problems adding a halo to a facelifted xenon headlight. But that russian website seem like they got around it.
      If I remember correctly, there's not much room to place a halo on the blue xenon ring but then again, it was quite some time ago people talked about it and maybe you could fit an el wire onto it instead of those LED rings.
      Problem is that el wire would be incredibly weak in daylight.

      I think you could do smaller sized rings like 70 and 80mm but I'm not sure

    13. #11
      Member rentalcar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      Stockholm, Sweden
      Posts
      1,401
      Oh yeah, that's true...
      I don't know if it's the thickness och wideness that makes it a no-go but I'd love to see someone try. I could be wrong with everything I said, haha, but I do know that it's not as easy as pre facelift headlights. If you're going for fabric xenon headlights that is.
      Current:
      Volvo V90 T5 R-design MY18

      Previous:
      Volvo V50 1.8F "R-design" MY08
      VW Golf 3 GT '94

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Wow great discussion guys, it's interesting to hear everyone's take on the subject. So maybe I might just modify the XC60 DRL LEDs to fit in place of the city lights. I know they'll be bright enough and the plastic surrounding trim is a metallic finish which would match the inside of the headlight housing


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Okay so just an update on the DRL project...I changed my mind on using the strip from the XC60 because I ended up finding a strip that is almost the exact dimensions of the city lights area. This is the link to the strips: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Philips-Sty...s-p/60-006.htm
      They are on the way in the mail and from taking a closer look at the piece on the city light, it appears that it's removable once the front lens is off. So I'm thinking if the depth isn't shallow enough for the new LEDS I may have to cut out the back and install the brackets to mount the new strips. More pictures will come as soon as I receive them and begin the process


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      The project begins today


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372

      Lens off

      City light lens removed





      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Test fitting with lens



      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      So so far I've learned that the plastic used for the headlight reflectors is really brittle, so brittle to the point where after sanding the plastic very thin to fit the led strip two small pieces chipped off, it's not too noticeable unless you're looking for it but otherwise besides that the DRL strips fit just perfectly fine. Which is great


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    20. #18
      I like where this is going

      Hey if you already separated the lense might as well paint the inside black instead of white

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Quote Originally Posted by airjordan117 View Post
      I like where this is going

      Hey if you already separated the lense might as well paint the inside black instead of white
      Problem with painting it black is the high beam will be less reflective


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372

      A picture with everything exposed, it looks a lot more factory installed with the lens on


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    23. #21
      Member rentalcar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      Stockholm, Sweden
      Posts
      1,401
      Really looking forward to see them on!
      Current:
      Volvo V90 T5 R-design MY18

      Previous:
      Volvo V50 1.8F "R-design" MY08
      VW Golf 3 GT '94

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      857
      Quote Originally Posted by airjordan117 View Post
      I like where this is going

      Hey if you already separated the lense might as well paint the inside black instead of white
      My thoughts word for word!

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      857
      Oh, and just to clarify those are called "City Lights" not DRLs.

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Quote Originally Posted by blvd View Post
      Oh, and just to clarify those are called "City Lights" not DRLs.
      Ya I know they are city lights but I meant I want to convert them to DRLs. So I have good news and bad news, good news is the LEDs fit perfectly and tested fine at first, but then I think the DRL module was faulty because it started to change Kevin to a purple color then two leds went out. So I'm going to try and get a replacement. In the meantime I'll take pictures of how they look on the car and drive without them. But they are pretty bright so you should be able to get an idea of what it would look like. When I get the replacements I'll swap them out and take more pictures.


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Quote Originally Posted by blvd View Post
      Oh, and just to clarify those are called "City Lights" not DRLs.
      On a side note, did you paint your lens or the actual reflector black?


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    28. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by blvd View Post
      My thoughts word for word!
      Also he should black out the Orange reflector, I hate that U.S.A requires that

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      857
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmo08 View Post
      On a side note, did you paint your lens or the actual reflector black?


      Sent with my carrier pigeon
      I painted the inside housings:






    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Quote Originally Posted by blvd View Post
      I painted the inside housings:





      What did you use to black them out?


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      This is how the strip looks like after modifying the housing. In the picture no lights are on


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      857
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmo08 View Post
      What did you use to black them out?


      Sent with my carrier pigeon
      Gloss black paint with a matte clear coat.

      Looking forward to seeing your Project up and running. It's a great idea.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Quote Originally Posted by blvd View Post
      Gloss black paint with a matte clear coat.

      Looking forward to seeing your Project up and running. It's a great idea.
      Thank you, ya I'm considering doing the black paint. We can be Volvo twins, haha!

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      857
      Ha, that's cool wih me.

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      Utah, USA
      Posts
      11
      Looks awesome!

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      Okay so instead of waiting for replacements that could possibly go out, I switched to the real thing this time. Philips brand leds. These ones don't dim when connected to the headlights but actually shut off which I don't like all that much. So my plan is to have them run when the car is on and stay on when the low beams come on. These lights are more reflective than the last pair so glare at night should be a problem unless you are in the exact angle from the front where the lights will aim. Also my car is lowered and the black border of the headlight housing shields some of the vertical light pattern. So tonight I will put the new LEDS in and roll around with that for a bit before doing the black housing.


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      372
      I upgraded my yellow side marker lights to be brighter by using my old COB led bulbs from my city lights, as well as swapped in the new led strips. These pictures are from my phone so excuse me if they look too exposed





      Tomorrow I will try and take some pictures during the day and if I get more time do a video during the day and night of the brightness of the lights as well as from how far away they can be seen


      Sent with my carrier pigeon

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast