Facelift S40 Users, Real LED DRL Options?? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Here is some test video of how the LEDs look during the day and with some shadows

Sent with my carrier pigeon

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Those are brighter than I thought, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo View Post
      Those are brighter than I thought, very nice!
      Thanks, ya they are really visible during the day. I'm waiting on a new module to have dimming enabled at night

Sent with my carrier pigeon

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

looks freaking fantastic.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & ISC Coilovers
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
      looks freaking fantastic.
      Thanks, it seemed tedious when working on it, but the end result makes it so worth it

Quote Originally Posted by enigmo08 View Post
      Thanks, it seemed tedious when working on it, but the end result makes it so worth it
      can i ask what supplies you used / steps to do this? time it took?
      would def consider this mod for my V. i really like the vertical LED strip instead of city light.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & ISC Coilovers
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

would def consider this mod for my V. i really like the vertical LED strip instead of city light.
      We pre facelift users can't do this mod, I don't see anywhere we could mount the led bar in the head light, the facelift had vertical running lights to begin with,
      You could do halos
      Very easy to do haha, I wanted to do Audi tube leds but since the headlights are very curvy I didn't think it would come out nicely.
      Audi's headlights are flat so the led tube has nice angles to it, didn't think it would look the same way on our headlights
      Last edited by airjordan117; 10-28-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Ya sure, you definitely need a dremel, flat head screw drivers, and xacto knife, heat gun, masking tape, and probably compressed air. After removing the headlight from the car, you have to use the heat gun like MNIWT did, then from there, begin by removing the plastic cover on the city light, then the bulb and wiring through the top opening of the headlight assembly. From there its marking and making measurements on the size of the cut. It gets a little more tricky because the plastic reflector used for the headlight is very delicate so you can't use the higher speed on the dremel. Luckily the sandpaper wheel fits right between the city light area. So its a lot of sanding down excess plastic, then making sure you can fit the new lights in. it will be a tight squeeze so making a groove on the top and bottom of the housing is necessary but not too deep of one. For wiring the lights make sure you test with a 9V battery that it is working before attempting this. you will need to hook up the lights to the battery because the city lights do not provide enough voltage change when starting the car. It took me 2 days only because I had to replace the leds with more expensive ones. On the second day from splitting apart the headlight to putting the new LEDs in took 2 hours and the first day about 6 hours. So 8 hours in total. Do know that once you start cutting you can't go back so you have to be careful otherwise if you mess up, you'll need to buy new headlights. Do you have a facelift model?

Quote Originally Posted by airjordan117 View Post
      We pre facelift users can't do this mod, I don't see anywhere we could mount the led bar in the head light, the pre facelift had vertical running lights to begin with,
      You could do halos
      Very easy to do haha, I wanted to do Audi tube leds but since the headlights are do curvy I didn't think it would come out nicely

I agree pre facelift would probably need Halos and the tube LEDs might work as long as there is something to secure them to the headlight lens cover

Quote Originally Posted by enigmo08 View Post
      I agree pre facelift would probably need Halos and the tube LEDs might work as long as there is something to secure them to the headlight lens cover
      The Audi tube leds on eBay come with little brackets to secure them I think it's cool that they are also switch back(you can splice them to the turn signal as well) like the higher end Audi models (A7, S8, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by airjordan117 View Post
      The Audi tube leds on eBay come with little brackets to secure them I think it's cool that they are also switch back(you can splice them to the turn signal as well) like the higher end Audi models (A7, S8, etc)
      Oh thats pretty cool, I would attempt it if I had another set of headlights to spare

Sorry to bring this back from the dead... but I've been looking for facelift city light options for a while now since one of my headlights leaked and water damaged the passenger side city light. Are there any other options you came across for swapping the city lights? I havent even been able to find a damaged light to take the parts from.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

By city light you mean the vertical bar in your facelift headlight? It's a simple T10 led. Most any will fit.
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      By city light you mean the vertical bar in your facelift headlight? It's a simple T10 led. Most any will fit.
      Sorry i thought I mentioned I have the active bi-xenon headlights. And yes I mean the vertical bar. Theres no replacement parts for it and I have yet to find a damaged headlight for a reasonable cost to take the light and module out of.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2