SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Facelift S40 Users, Real LED DRL Options??

14K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  d_eagz13 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so for my next project I wanted to put in super bright LED DRL in the city light position of my headlights. Currently I have high lumen COB LEDs in the housing, so the reflector is making the light appear blocky rather than sharp and bright. I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I want to just do what some others do and get Angel Eyes, but it seems way too common and I like the idea of having a strip going vertically (I've only ever seen this on two cars, the S40 and Maserati GranTurismo). So I was thinking about ordering the parts and opening my headlight to either put in this:
http://supra-tuning.ru/avtosvet/ang...volvo/angelskie-glazki-volvo-s40#.VDJZGikR5lp
or
modifying the LED DRLs from the new XC60s to fit our housings. Does anyone else have any other ideas on this? Or have done similar things? If so can you show me pictures of your set-up?

#2 ·
I've seen a lot of people, myself included, do halos and I think they look great plus you can always do different color schemes.

I've seen a few with a led line coming across the bottom of the housing like an Audi or Lexus style by that looked tacky to me.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

#3 ·
I've seen a lot of people, myself included, do halos and I think they look great plus you can always do different color schemes.

I've seen a few with a led line coming across the bottom of the housing like an Audi or Lexus style by that looked tacky to me.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"
Do you have pictures of your halos installed? Is it the thinner ring like the link or the thicker ring?

Sent with my carrier pigeon

#4 · (Edited)
I love my halos no regrets doing then people at my bros school flip when I pull up with them set to green lol

You only see the individual less when standing up close to the car, red more so.

Later on in going to open the headlights so I can black out the Orange reflector, so ill mount the diffuser covers for the angel eyes

Also you can pull of the Audi style drl, but use these, search Audi tube led on eBay.

Keep us updated on your project[emoji4]

#5 ·
Ya I looked at the audi tube lights, some pictures they appear dim while on other cars they look vibrant. Where did you get your LED fog strips? And I see you went with dual angels, is that something that would work on face-lift headlights?

#9 ·
I've only heard that there could be some problems adding a halo to a facelifted xenon headlight. But that russian website seem like they got around it.
If I remember correctly, there's not much room to place a halo on the blue xenon ring but then again, it was quite some time ago people talked about it and maybe you could fit an el wire onto it instead of those LED rings.

#11 ·
Oh yeah, that's true...
I don't know if it's the thickness och wideness that makes it a no-go but I'd love to see someone try. I could be wrong with everything I said, haha, but I do know that it's not as easy as pre facelift headlights. If you're going for fabric xenon headlights that is.

#12 ·
Wow great discussion guys, it's interesting to hear everyone's take on the subject. So maybe I might just modify the XC60 DRL LEDs to fit in place of the city lights. I know they'll be bright enough and the plastic surrounding trim is a metallic finish which would match the inside of the headlight housing

#13 ·
Okay so just an update on the DRL project...I changed my mind on using the strip from the XC60 because I ended up finding a strip that is almost the exact dimensions of the city lights area. This is the link to the strips: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Philips-Style-CREE-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-p/60-006.htm
They are on the way in the mail and from taking a closer look at the piece on the city light, it appears that it's removable once the front lens is off. So I'm thinking if the depth isn't shallow enough for the new LEDS I may have to cut out the back and install the brackets to mount the new strips. More pictures will come as soon as I receive them and begin the process

#17 ·
So so far I've learned that the plastic used for the headlight reflectors is really brittle, so brittle to the point where after sanding the plastic very thin to fit the led strip two small pieces chipped off, it's not too noticeable unless you're looking for it but otherwise besides that the DRL strips fit just perfectly fine. Which is great

#24 ·
Ya I know they are city lights but I meant I want to convert them to DRLs. So I have good news and bad news, good news is the LEDs fit perfectly and tested fine at first, but then I think the DRL module was faulty because it started to change Kevin to a purple color then two leds went out. So I'm going to try and get a replacement. In the meantime I'll take pictures of how they look on the car and drive without them. But they are pretty bright so you should be able to get an idea of what it would look like. When I get the replacements I'll swap them out and take more pictures.

#34 ·
Okay so instead of waiting for replacements that could possibly go out, I switched to the real thing this time. Philips brand leds. These ones don't dim when connected to the headlights but actually shut off which I don't like all that much. So my plan is to have them run when the car is on and stay on when the low beams come on. These lights are more reflective than the last pair so glare at night should be a problem unless you are in the exact angle from the front where the lights will aim. Also my car is lowered and the black border of the headlight housing shields some of the vertical light pattern. So tonight I will put the new LEDS in and roll around with that for a bit before doing the black housing.

#35 ·
I upgraded my yellow side marker lights to be brighter by using my old COB led bulbs from my city lights, as well as swapped in the new led strips. These pictures are from my phone so excuse me if they look too exposed

Tomorrow I will try and take some pictures during the day and if I get more time do a video during the day and night of the brightness of the lights as well as from how far away they can be seen

#37 ·
Those are brighter than I thought, very nice!

#39 ·
looks freaking fantastic.

#47 ·
Sorry to bring this back from the dead... but I've been looking for facelift city light options for a while now since one of my headlights leaked and water damaged the passenger side city light. Are there any other options you came across for swapping the city lights? I havent even been able to find a damaged light to take the parts from.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#49 ·
Sorry i thought I mentioned I have the active bi-xenon headlights. And yes I mean the vertical bar. Theres no replacement parts for it and I have yet to find a damaged headlight for a reasonable cost to take the light and module out of.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.