Information about the Gothenburg region
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Information about the Gothenburg region

Hi there!

I must say, as a native Swede living in Gothenburg (or Göteborg as I prefer), it's very interesting to read about your trips to Sweden, and your thoughts about it all.

However, a thing did come to mind: You all must have a lot of questions like "what to see, where to go" and so on. Of course, this will probably be taken care of by you dealer or the FDC-people or likewise, but I'm guessing that they will give you a "Standard template of Gothenburg" and miss out all the goodies.

I was thinking that, if you have any questions like "Where do I see this and that.." or "Where can i eat some..." or "Where do I stay which doesn't cost $99/night..." post your questions here! I know there is at least one other member in this forum (not printing his name) who is nopt only a good friend of mine, but also lives here!

So, shoot! Com'on with your questions!

//Jonas

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (William)

That's fine!

I was thinking that maybe this could be turned into a sticky thread, as it will always be useful information to the OSD-customers... What do the Swedespeed forums moderators have to say?

//Jonas

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (jonas_lindquist)

Quote, originally posted by jonas_lindquist »
      That's fine!

I was thinking that maybe this could be turned into a sticky thread, as it will always be useful information to the OSD-customers... What do the Swedespeed forums moderators have to say?

//Jonas

Yes, we can make it a sticky as long as the only posts are QUESTIONS and Jonas answers. If we all start posting comments, etc., then the entire thread will get bastardized and will not be useful. Also, if you have an answer to someone's specific question(s), please feel free to chime in!

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Jonas: Thank you for your kind offer. I will be in Göteborg picking up my new XC90 on June 30, after having spent a week in Norway. I'd like to take a boat trip for a few hours to see the islands offshore, but I am not sure where to start. Do you have any thoughts on this? I'd prefer a sailboat, but am willing to take a nice motor-powered boat.

Also, what is the most beautiful beach south of Göteborg? We plan to drive south along the coast and then take the bridge across to Copenhagen (which I have only recently learned may be the least car-friendly country in Europe - what a great place to take my new Volvo!! )

Finally, what is the coolest medieval thing to see in Sweden or Denmark? A castle with a moat and a dungeon would be very cool. (Hey, we Americans have very limited knowledge about what "medieval" is!)

Again, many thanks

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (adp)

Quote, originally posted by adp »
      I'd like to take a boat trip for a few hours to see the islands offshore, but I am not sure where to start.

Also, what is the most beautiful beach south of Göteborg?

Finally, what is the coolest medieval thing to see in Sweden or Denmark?

Sailing in the archipelago would probably need a private rental of a sailing boat. I do not know any tourist tours that uses sailboats.
      Instead there are smaller ships that can take you on different tours of the archipelago. Trips start at Lilla Bommen harbour in the centre of town.

Check http://www.borjessons.com (homepage is unfortunately not in English...)

Onother option is to visit the southern archipelago via public, non tourist, boats that depart from Saltholmen. Lots of different small islands to visit.
      Yet another option is to take your new car and visit the northern islands. Toll free car ferry departs from Lilla Varholmen to Hönö/Öckerö every 15 minutes (about 15 minutes drive west from the Volvo car factory).

Beach? In the Göteborg area we like to bathe directly from the granite rocks, beach sand just sticks to your toes...
      Also remember that you are allowed to freely walk around on islands or in the nature werever you want to.
      Check http://www.allemansratten.se/t...=2058

Sand beaches can be found throughout the whole southern west coast of Sweden. Check the towns Varberg, Falkenberg or Halmstad .

As for old fortresses and stuff I would recommend checking out the rock carvings in Tanum north of Göteborg.
      More at http://www.vitlycke.bohusmus.s...x.htm
      Options are the fortresses at Marstrand (island north of Göteborg) or Varberg (south).

Also check the general tourist guide at http://www.goteborg.com

And last but not least, welcome to Sweden!

//

Modified by megapolaren at 11:45 PM 5-24-2004

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
      Yes, we can make it a sticky as long as the only posts are QUESTIONS and Jonas answers.

Sounds like a good idea, although I would like to say that Megapolaren on the forum is as capable as I am to answer any questions. I am sure that there are even more people from "Volvo-City" here on the forum...

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
      Also, if you have an answer to someone's specific question(s), please feel free to chime in!

Of course!

//Jonasl

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads

thank you for your offer of assistance to visitors.

i am wondering about the jazz festival in august. i believe it will be occurring during the time the first new osd s60rs are due to be delivered. are there good better best venues to go to? and also are there good better best groups to listen to?

and are there good local swedish restaurants goteborgers frequent but tourists have not over-run yet?

john

2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

You have convinced me. We will pick up and drop off our car in Goteborg. Where do we stay that does not cost $99 @ night and where we can easily get the bus to the airport for a 7:30 AM flight out after having dropped the car off the prior afternoon around 1400.

Well, I may as well jump in and ask some questions. I'm planning on doing an OSD trip in about April 2005. I was planning on possibly a 4 day trip. Since I do have a bit under a year to schedule this, this may change.

How is the weather like during that time?
      Is there any festivals that is going on around that time that I may be interested in? I'm open to anything really.
      I was thinking of doing a castle tour. Would you reccomend that or should I sample the local area more?

~~~~~
      Ron
      2000 V70R with some simple mods | RIP
      2008 XC70

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (s60r05)

Quote, originally posted by s60r05 »
      i am wondering about the jazz festival in august.

and are there good local swedish restaurants goteborgers frequent but tourists have not over-run yet?

About the Jazz festival - I must honestly say that I know nothing about it actually... I’m not that found of Jazz. I also didn't find any webpage for that event...

As for restaurants, when visiting Sweden I think that you should go for traditional Swedish food. Fish is the thing in Göteborg, since we are a coastal city. Best restaurants for fish is Sjömagasinet http://www.sjomagasinet.se/ and Fiskekrogen http://www.fiskekrogen.com/. Both are pretty expensive, but well worth the money.
      Most popular and trendy non touristy restaurant in town at the moment must be Thörnströms Kök, http://www.thornstromskok.com/
      Less expensive alternatives (where the locals go) can be found at the Linnégatan, lots to choose from there.

//

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Volvo Grrrr)

Quote, originally posted by Volvo Grrrr »
      April 2005. I was planning on possibly a 4 day trip.
      How is the weather like during that time?
      Is there any festivals that is going on around that time that I may be interested in?
      I was thinking of doing a castle tour. Would you reccomend that or should I sample the local area more?

April is known to have very changeable weather, you can expect anything from freezing cold to (almost) burning hot.... Normal mid day temperature in April is about 10-15 Celsius degrees.
      I don't know any bigger festivals going on during April, most of them occur in June, July and August.
      I don’t know that much about the castle tour, but from what I’ve read here on Swedespeed most people seems to like it. It may be a good alternative since most of the traditional outdoor tourist sights are closed in April (usually opens by early may).
      Göteborg is not such a big city (about 500 000 inhabitants), therefore I think that it is a good option to visit sights outside of the city if your visiting us for more than 2-3 days. Also the summer has generally more to offer, than other times of the year.

//

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (pineyflats)

Quote, originally posted by pineyflats »
      Where do we stay that does not cost $99 @ night and where we can easily get the bus to the airport for a 7:30 AM flight out.

I do not know the exact prices of different hotels, but if you want walking distance to the airport bus you will need to stay on a hotel in the centre of town. Check the hotel guide at http://www.goteborg.com/

//

Hej!

Does anyone know anything about the Swedish Match Cup in Marstrand from July 5 -11? Are there tickets? Does it cost anything to watch? What time are the races and how late in the day do they race? The website (http://www.swedishmatchcup.com) doesn't have any information on is.

We'll be returning our XC90 during this time, and it looked interesting.

Tack!

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (s60r05)

Göteborg Jazzfestival 2004
      Jazzfestival with swedish and international artists and bands.
      Will be in Göteborg city, 2004-08-20 - 2004-08-22.

Dont forget Göteborgskalaset 2004
      From the 6 - 14 of August whole Göteborg changes to a big party which is the biggest city festival in Sweden!

Welcome!

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (BSK)

Send a e-mail to this place([email protected]) and ask them, what i remember it didn´t cost anything when i was there but that was some years ago....

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Revill)

Revill,

Thanks. Is it worth going to the Swedish Match Cup?

I didn't want to push the date too much into the summer as I want to drive my new R then. Are there any sites that would show me the various festivals/activies to do (no time-frame, just general things to do during the year)?
      ~~~~~
      Ron
      2000 V70R with some simple mods | RIP
      2008 XC70

Quote, originally posted by BSK »
      Is it worth going to the Swedish Match Cup?

The cup is held at the island of Marstand, and Marstrand is a very popular tourist destination (also for locals). I would recommend it.
      Prepare for LOTS of people during the Swedish Match Cup week!

check http://www.marstrand.org/

//

Quote, originally posted by BSK »
      Hej!
      Does anyone know anything about the Swedish Match Cup in Marstrand from July 5 -11? Are there tickets? Does it cost anything to watch? What time are the races and how late in the day do they race?
      Tack!

Hej på dig med!

The Swedish Match Cup in Marstrand is a Match Racing Cup (Sailing, for those who didn't know). The actual sailing takes place in the archepelago around the Marstrand Island and can be seen from the shore of the island very well. It must be said that Marstrand is surrounded by other smaller island or land, so the width of the water were the sailing takes place, is _tight_! So, no there are no tickets! You stand on the shore, looking out at the boats...

Time? Hard to say, but I think that they start around 10:am and finish around 4:00 pm, but this is only a guess. You can always sand an E-mail to them and ask, or [email protected] (Gothenburg tourist information).

This event is not only a siling Cup - it's a folk-festival! Lots of people with picnics on the shores, boat companys showing of their latest products, clothing companys selling their gear and so on... It's like a small convention!

Volvo has always show up, as far as I know... Last year (or maybe the year before, can't remember) they showed up a C70 with the new light blue color.... The day after, someone had made a permanent mark in the cars side, using keys or likewise!

I hope this answered you questions!

Welcome to Sweden!!

//Jonasl

July 5-11? Will I be able to see the race from Copenhagen?

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Jonas,

Do you have any tips for car rental in Sweden? As an Australian, the prices I've seen for car rental seem quite high.

Just seems odd to pay SEK700-800 for a simple car like a VW Golf (this is what I saw with Europcar).

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (adp)

Quote, originally posted by adp »
      July 5-11? Will I be able to see the race from Copenhagen?

Well, maybe if you don't by a car from the OSD program and spend the same amount of money on binoculars or likewise....

//Jonasl

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Ozvol)

Quote, originally posted by Ozvol »

Just seems odd to pay SEK700-800 for a simple car like a VW Golf (this is what I saw with Europcar).

You are right. A VW Golf from Europcar with unlimited milage (fuel not included) costs 795:-.

As you did not say when, and where and for howlong, I am guessing the following:
      * VW Goft
      * 24h
      * Gothenburg

This gives the following alternatives:
      * Statoil (www.statoil.se), 420:- (incl 100km) or 630:- (incl 500km)
      * OKQ8 (www.okq8.se) have a Renault Clio for 229:- incl 100km. Very nice-price!!
      * Avis Car rental (www.avis.se), 800:- Free milage.

This is just to give you an idea. If you are thinking of renting just for the one day, I would go for the OKQ8 (Okey-Kuwait, yeah honestly!!) offer. I don't think anyone can match it.

The URL's above are all in Swedish...

If you post some more precise information, than maybe I can find something even better. Who knows...

Something that you should know about renting a car is that the price may vary if you are under 25, or want aditional drivers.

The cars the rent from the companys above are all top-notch! Clean, safe and so on.

I hope this gave you an idea...

(By the way, I am planning a three month stay in Australia or NZ in a year or so, so maybe you can help me out then... )

//Jonasl

Thanks for that Jonas, sorry I forgot to mention, I would be renting in Stockholm

Are the same companies available there?

Quote, originally posted by jonas_lindquist »
      (By the way, I am planning a three month stay in Australia or NZ in a year or so, so maybe you can help me out then... )

//Jonasl

No problem, good choice there

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Ozvol)

Quote, originally posted by Ozvol »

Are the same companies available there?

Yes! Although, you should take this pricing information as very preliminary, as many rental companys give certain discounts when having a Frequent Flyers card or likewise. They also tend to have better (cheaper) prices during certain weekends and holidays!

//Jonasl

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Volvo Grrrr)

Quote, originally posted by Volvo Grrrr »
      Are there any sites that would show me the various festivals/activies to do (no time-frame, just general things to do during the year)?

http://www.goteborg.com/templa...=9766

//Jonasl

If someone is planning one meal in Goteborg and doesn't want to spend too much money, what do you locals recommend?

JONAS,

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HOSPITALITY!

I'M TAKING MY MOM ON THIS ADVENTURE & WE ARE FOODIES! NOT SURE WHETHER TO GO NORTH, SOUTH, EAST OR WEST YET...WE ARE LOOKING TO EXPLORE THE LOCAL SIDE...MAYBE A TRIP TO GRINDA WARDSHUS? BASICALLY, I THINK WE'LL PROBABLY STAY IN B&B/FARMS OR MANOR HOUSES...VISITNG FARMERS/FISH MARKETS ALONG THE WAY...OFTEN THESE UNPLANNED EXCURSIONS ARE THE BEST TREASURES!

IN GOTEBORG, RESTAURANT-WISE I'M THINKING RESTAURANG FOND, 28+, SJMAGASINETI...ANY FEEDBACK?

ANY GUIDANCE ABOUT "DON'T MISS B&B'S, RESTAURANGS OR SIDE TRIPS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

MANY THANKS.

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Ellisor)

please, no shouting.

john

2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Ellisor)

Quote, originally posted by Ellisor »
      IN GOTEBORG, RESTAURANT-WISE I'M THINKING RESTAURANG FOND, 28+, SJMAGASINETI...ANY FEEDBACK?

Well, it's the best we've got, I don’t think that you will be disappointed. (Well, maybe after you see the bill, but I think that it is definitely worth it!)

When are you planning to take delivery?

//

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (megapolaren)

Quote, originally posted by megapolaren »
      Well, it's the best we've got, I don’t think that you will be disappointed. (Well, maybe after you see the bill, but I think that it is definitely worth it!)

When are you planning to take delivery?

//

I'm planning a trip for May/June 05 (as long as they come through with the AUX plug option in the V50!)

Since Goteborg is the first stop on a week long road trip, I'd prefer not to break the bank right at the start, but if it's the best authentic Swedish dining experience, I may have to!

Is this it? http://www.sjomagasinet.se/sjo_info.asp

Modified by Stark33 at 7:48 PM 7-9-2004

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Stark33)

With one star in Guide Rouge (formally know as Guide Michelin) I would say that you will not be dissapointed. I have been to Sjömagasinet a couple of times and it really is good.

As written above, if it is "Top of the Line" that one is seeking, 28+, Fond and Sjömagasinet are the places to be.

//Jonas

Quote, originally posted by Stark33 »

Is this it? http://www.sjomagasinet.se/sjo_info.asp

Sure is!

//Jonas

what are some good "middle of the line" places?

that restaurant looks excellent, but I don't know if we need that for our first day's dinner

Quote, originally posted by Stark33 »
      what are some good "middle of the line" places?

Hard to say... There are many places to choose from. All depending on what you want to eat, and how far you want to go. I guess that you will be staying your first night at the SAS Radisson Hotel, right? Maybe something in close to the hotel then?

* Around the corner from the hotel is "Brasseri Ferdinand". Drottninggatan 41. They serve very good meat dishes (as well as other alternatives ofcourse). Prices Ranging from SEK129 to SEK269 ($17-$36).

* Källarkrogen. Östra Larmgatan 20. Very cosy restaurant, again 5 min walk from the hotel. Prices are about the same as above.

* O'Learys sport bar. Not so much restaurants but offer lighter dishes. Live music and sportsevent on big-screen tv (Athens 2004 soon...). Very american!

* Heaven 23. Mässans gata 24. A 15-20 minute walt from the hotel. This is a restaurant in a hotel on the 23rd floor. An excellent view of the city centre! Very much worth a visit. Although, the menu prices are a bit more expensive than above. Suggested three course menus around $50.

There is a quite good (not complete nor excellent) online guide at http://www.restaurangguiden.se...k=Eng.

Yellow = SAS Radisson Hotel
      Blue = Källarkrogen
      White = Brasseri Ferdinand
      Pink = O'Learys
      Green = Heaven 23

After all this information, I would like to say that, if you have the time, take a taxi/bus/tram to Linnégatan and talk a walk there. That is the main restaurant-street here in town with places to suite anyone!

Smaklig måltid! (Enjoy your meal)

//JonasL

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast