Information about the Gothenburg region - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (jonas_lindquist)

when we were in goteborg in april '03 my wife and i ate supper in a restauant just up the hill and over a block from the sas radisson. don't remember the name, but it was in a cellar, with a vaulted brick ceiling and stone floor. food was very good, staff was attentive and friendly, and helpful in suggesting swedish dishes for us to try. if i knew the name i would recommend it. and i remember a coffee and pastry cafe at the top of the hill, in a nice cobbled plaza. we sat outside in the sun and drank delicious coffee and hot chocolate and munched some pastries. the next morning we found them serving all different sorts of breakfasts too.

john

2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My husband and I will be arriving in Gothenburg on the morning of July 25th. Where could we possibly catch the Tour de France finish and what time of the day would this be happening ( I am watching it a 6:30 am now )? I am sure we could just sit at the hotel and watch, but it would be nice if there is a more local place where others will be watching. Thanks!

geoggirl,

Give velonews.com a try...they keep you up-to-date minute-by-minute. ..you ight find a connection on that site. I would also email the conceirge & hopefully he can find you the right place.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Jonas,

Here's a thumbnail of our trip...
      In 2/3 nights in Goteborg...Starting off with a stroll around town...here are the restaurants: the restaurant you recommended, Fond, Kock&Vin, 28+ and a Thomstroms Kok.
      Then we are headed south to Oresund. But, first a stop in Helsingborg. The restaurangs here: Restraurang Niklas, Gastro or Sofiero Slottsrestaurang.
      We would also like to stay @ Hackaberga slott...what are your thougts? Then it's off to the Oresund bridge a few more stops & ...maybe up- the dk coast & back by ferry...not exactly sure. I think it would be nice to experience a cheese farm...still working n the finishing touches!!
      Any feed back from all would be greatly appreciated.

Profs & many thanks to all who participated!!!!

T

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (geoggirl)

Quote, originally posted by geoggirl »
      Where could we possibly catch the Tour de France finish and what time of the day would this be happening ( I am watching it a 6:30 am now )? I am sure we could just sit at the hotel and watch, but it would be nice if there is a more local place where others will be watching. Thanks!

I have no idea when this is sent on TV. I had a quick look around on the net, but found nothing. I would recommend Eurosport (a european-wide sports channel). this you will most definatly be able to see at the hotel.

I am not sure if you can see the final with a whole lot of other people unless you invite them yourself . Not even O'Learys (the big sports-bar) are showing it.... Sorry!

//JonasL

Re: (Ellisor)

Quote, originally posted by Ellisor »
      Jonas,
      Here's a thumbnail of our trip...

Any feed back from all would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there!

I think you're up for som great meals at least!

Although I must ask, why are you going to Denmark? I would rather recommend that you head north from Gothenburg up towards Strömstad and see the little fishing villages and the archepilago on the Swedish West Coast, but that's just my idea of a good time...

If you are intrested in chesse, 28+ is the restaurant to visit whilst in Gothenburg.

Yours,
      JonasL

unless there are lots of things you want to see between Helsingborg and Malmo, take the ferry from H to Helsingor and then drive down to Copenhagen. The drive south on the coast road from Helsingor to Copenhagen is far superior to the drive between Helsingborg and Malmo. And the bridge isn't all it's cracked up to be. IF, big big IF, you do have stuff to see between H and Malmo, by all means do it, especially if you have good weather. Maybe find one of the few remaining Swedish bath houses (piers) and get a good swim in the sound!!

I do wish I had made it north of G to the coastal towns, but there is only so much time.

I found the best pastry in Gothenberg (even better than anything I found in 5 days in Copenhagen). It is a nice place on a corner near a bridge. I'll find the name tonight and pass it on. The coffee (cappucino) was great, but the pastries were even better. My biggest regret of my two week trip is that I only went to that pastry place once. Seriously.

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Re: (adp)

Quote, originally posted by adp »
      <snip>

I found the best pastry in Gothenberg (even better than anything I found in 5 days in Copenhagen). It is a nice place on a corner near a bridge. I'll find the name tonight and pass it on. The coffee (cappucino) was great, but the pastries were even better. My biggest regret of my two week trip is that I only went to that pastry place once. Seriously.

better danish than in denmark? heaven forfend!

but please, pass that name along to us, the seriously pastry addicted.

john

2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

Ellisor,

We headed south from Gothenburg and stopped for a couple of hours to walk the beach at Tylosand (just outside Halmstad). We then went further south to the Kullen peninsula and stayed at the Grand Hotel in Mölle. http://www.grand-molle.se/Om/index.html Very pretty holiday / fishing village, and a beautiful hotel. We hiked around the Kullaberg Nature Preserve, which has amazing views of the surrounding cliffs and sea. It is a bit off the beaten path for American tourism (we didn't see another American while we were there) - and I got pulled over by a cop who was very suspicious about our red plates. Another nice place to stay in the area (or at least it looked nice - we stayed at the Grand Hotel in Mölle, as I mentioned) was in the town of Arlid - the Hotel Rusthållargården http://www.rusthallargarden.se/ It is also a member of CountrySide Hotels, like Hackaberga Slott. http://www.countrysidehotels.se/

I haven´t been reading the whole thread, but I will list some things that are worth visiting;

Liseberg, Sweden´s biggest amusement park. Real fun, be sure to ride Balder.

We have a great hockeyteam called Frölunda Indians, they are playing in Scandinavium, an orange building between Liseberg and Ullevi.

A bunch of car entushiast gather around Göta platsen (at the top of the Avenue) late wednsday nights. For you who want´s to race your new R in it´s motherland, this is your chance.

When you´re done with this town, you can allways travel along the E6. If you go south you´ll probably end up in Falkenberg or Halmstad. Beautiful beaches, friendly people and alot of old farmer living.
      If you chose to go north, you can allways check out Bohuslän with it´s seaside culture, crappy car making ( ) and so on.

Sorry I can´t help you with the food & dining part, I´m underaged so I can´t get in to many places. And I also hope you can read my English.
      Enjoy your stay.

Re: (christianf)

thanks for the advice. the english was very good.

john

2007 honda s2000

Jonas,
      Thanks being help to everybody - very kind of you.
      I will be in goteborg in last week of september. I will have 11 days to travel. I am planning to visit, of course goteborg, oslo, bergen, the to denmark to see copenhagen, stockholm, then back to goteborg. By looking at the map, I found that this is hard to do so I have scaled down to just Sweden and Norway. goteborg to oslo, bergen, back to oslo, then to stockholm and back to goteborg. Do you think this is reasonable considering spending time in each city and also driving time? I would appreciate your opinion.
      thanks,
      francis

Re: (witchdoctorlee)

Hi Francis!

Quote, originally posted by witchdoctorlee »
      Thanks being help to everybody - very kind of you.

You're welcome! I am looking forward to the same help when I'm planning to cross the Atlantic....

Quote, originally posted by witchdoctorlee »
      Goteborg to oslo, bergen, back to oslo, then to stockholm and back to goteborg. Do you think this is reasonable considering spending time in each city and also driving time?

Okey, let's see, 11 days. Let's say a couple in Göteborg, one nights stay on your way to Norway in ex Lysekil or Strömstad. A couple of nights in Oslo, a couple in Bergen. One night on your way Bergen-Stockholm. This adds up to 8 nights. So say a couple of nights in Stockholm and then head back.

I think it sounds like a nice trip! Ofcourse, you don't have to stay a couple of nights in each place, but I was thinking more along the lines of making excursions and day-trips.

I must say that the drive from Bergen to Stockholm is approx 650 mi (1100 km) which can be a bit of a mouthful seeing as you can only stay in Stockholm for a couple of nights. Is it really worth it? I understand that you want to see it "all" while you are here, but this is just a tought.

A do, however, aplaude you, for narrowing the trip down and excuding Denmark, as this would have been far to much to see and gather impressions on for 11 days.

Maybe you could drop you car of in Stockholm ($430) and save a days driving (Stockholm-Göteborg)?

Otherwise I must say, that I think you're up for a great trip!

Welcome to Sweden - Land of the Volvo

//JonasL

Re: (jonas_lindquist)

Hey... whatabout a good resource for kid-friendly (5 yrs +) events or parks?

Possible OSD pickup by October 2004. How many named Jonas in your area??

Re: (lazzerj)

lazzerj: that's what ICE CREAM is for!!

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Ice cream beer float to keep the kids settled down?

go to Konditori Brogyllen

without question, the pastry there is as good as you can buy

and the cappucino was excellent

it's easy walkng distance from the SAS Radisson Scandinavia - the concierge or anyone can tell you where it is.

Modified by adp at 11:09 AM 7-20-2004

Modified by adp at 5:05 PM 7-22-2004

Quote, originally posted by lazzerj »
      Hey... whatabout a good resource for kid-friendly (5 yrs +) events or parks?

How many named Jonas in your area??

Kids? Slottskogen. A park centraly located park with live animals and a repilarium. Check the Gothenburg City map you have (??). Linnéplatesen or Slottskogen.

About the name: 58143 Swedish men and 2 women at the moment. Check the stats:
      http://www.kanalen.org/namnark...1253f

//Jonas

go to Konditori Brogyllen

Hear, hear!

it's easy walkng distance from the SAS Radisson Scandinavia - the concierge or anyone can tell you where it is.

Exit the hotel And turn left. walk forward parallel to the tram tracks. The SECOND time the tracks/trams can go to the left, you are standing outside!

Distance from the hotel, about 500-800m (max 2500ft).

//JonasL

Re: (jonas_lindquist)

Jonas: the pastry there was so good that I took a picture of the awning so I would remember the name

I discovered it on my last day in G., and just as we were rushing off to catch the start of a distant cousin's handball game, so I didn't get to go back for seconds and thirds and.....

Jonas (or others): Do you have a bathing pier/bath house to recommend? This is something we don't have here in the states, so folks might be interested, especially since these are dying out.

Also, Swedish supermodel lingerie shows would be good

Do you have a bathing pier/bath house to recommend? This is something we don't have here in the states, so folks might be interested, especially since these are dying out.

Also, Swedish supermodel lingerie shows would be good

No pier in Göteborg, but Varberg, 1 hour drive south of Göteborg has the most known traditional bathing pier in Sweden. Check the somewhat dull homepage in Swedish http://www.welcome.to/kallbadhuset.

If you want to bathe in the ocean near Göteborg (only recommended in the summer though... ), then there are lots of good options.
      Either drive your new car to the northern islands in the Göteborg archipelago. Head for "Öckerö" from the Volvo Torslanda plant. About 30 minute drive from the factory including toll free ferry (departs every 15 minutes).
      Or you can visit the islands south of Göteborg. Ferries depart from "Saltholmen", but only for pedestrians. No cars on the southern islands, as they are quite small.

Or you can go to Marstrand about 1 hour north of Göteborg. Nice small island with lots of restaurants, boats and people enjoying there holiday. Also a good option for the one who likes to see some more of the Swedish girls...

//

We ( wife, 6 yr old daughter and me a 56 yr. retiree) are planning a May '05 pick up of a v50. My masters thesis was on volvo, japaneese and american auto manufacturing practices and have relative who have retired from the Torslanda plant. however with my contacts they have been unable to provide; weather data, places to visit, and back road musts on the way to Eskilstuna (my grandparents hometown) and Stockholm (my wifes Great grandparents hometown). Help!

My style is to land, buy a paper, and go where the weather is nice. Is this a good idea?

Thankx

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (hastee)

Jonas,

We will be picking up our new Volvo on Oct 6th and spending a couple of days in Goteborg. Then on to Denmark, back to Stockholm and finally a quick drive back to Goteborg.

Any must see suggestions for Goteborg, Stockholm and other parts of Sweden?

Thanks, any suggestions appreciated.

2005 V70R, MT, Flash Green, All packages + Nav, Rear Sensors, etc.
      2008 Corvette Z06, Jetstream Blue + 505HP!!
      2014 Honda Odyssey

I might head over to Göteborg next week, only a quick hour long plane trip for me.

I'd like to tour the factory, visit the Volvo shop, etc.

Is there a bus that goes to the factory?

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (hastee)

Quote, originally posted by hastee »
      My style is to land, buy a paper, and go where the weather is nice. Is this a good idea?

I would say that the distance between Göteborg and Eskilstuna is not too far, and so the weather will not be too different.

http://weather.cnn.com/weather...=ESGG

Above is the weather forecast for Göteborg.

//JonasL

Re: (Ozvol)

Quote, originally posted by Ozvol »

A link to the public transportation in west Sweden, Västtrafik. At the top of the page, you can fill in a form from where you want to go (Landvetter flygplats, centralstation, ) to Where you want to go (Volvo City, Volvo Torslanda) and it gives you a good route. However, it does not seem to be working so well at the moment. On 16th august the timetables change, and I think that the database is under maintenace at the present.

The buses that do go to Volvo Torslanda are there for the workers. This means that they go mostly early in the morning and again in the afternoon.

If you are planning to do a trip like this, why not talk to your local Volvo dealer before you go and maybe they can arrange something for you?

http://www.vasttrafik.se/eng/

//JonasL

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Lead Foot 60)

Quote, originally posted by Lead Foot 60 »
      We will be picking up our new Volvo on Oct 6th...
      Any must see suggestions for Goteborg, Stockholm and other parts of Sweden?

I will be honest with you: Göteborg, or perhaps any other part of Sweden, it maybe not at its best in mid october - november. Rain, wind, cold, damp..... Anyway, this does not have to be the case!

The only major event I could find in Göteborg for that period of time that you are here, is a large horse show with more that 50 horses and flamenco dancers etc. This is at "Heden" in the city centre. Maybe something worth a visit?

Otherwise, I would recommend taking the day as it comes. I think many people are obsessed with having everything pre-booked and planned before they go on holiday or likewise (not saying that this is the case. Pls don't misunderstand me).

However, the concierge desk at Sas Radisson are very helpful and good people to deal with. We also have a tourist information place not so far from the SAS Radisson where one could enter and say "Hello, it's raining today. What should I do with my wife and 6 yr old girl?" and they could say "Go to universeum!" ( http://www.universeum.se/ ) or likewise.

The city is an oister filled with goodies waiting to be found! However, in October, you willl not find outdoor cafés, markets, outside festivals and such.

Do not miss:

http://www.goteborg.com
      http://www.liseberg.se
      http://www.swefair.se
      http://www.gotevent.goteborg.se/English/
      http://www.visit-sweden.com

//JonasL

Re: (Ozvol)

Quote, originally posted by Ozvol »
      I might head over to Göteborg next week, only a quick hour long plane trip for me.
      I'd like to tour the factory, visit the Volvo shop, etc.

If you are to tour the factory, call volvo in advance to chek times etc. Due to production/holidays/secret stuff the tours changes, and they may also be fully booked.

There are lots of buses, but to go from the airport out to the Torslanda plant may take some time. I would recommend a cab, even if that is a bit more expensive.

Welcome!

//Philip

Jonas,

I sent you a note under another forum about getting together in Gothenburg. We are on the S60R Grand Prix trip and arrive in Gothenburg on Aug. 24, no plans until the 25th. We return to Gothenburg to drop of our car on Sept. 10, but will stay in Gothenburg until we fly back to the US on Sept. 12. If you are available at either time we are there, we'd like to get together.

Also, any suggestions on where to stay after we drop off our car on Sept. 10?

Hope to see you,
      Andrew and Diana DeJacimo

noted. Thank you, we will utilize.

Jonas,

Sorry to be so long in saying thank you for your suggestions.

We have now set up our trip and know the details. We will arrive in Goteborg on Monday, Oct 4th, so we'll have all of Oct 5th to visit/tour Goteborg and some of the 6th if we don't tarry too long at the Volvo FDC. We will work with the concierge at the SAS Radisson as you suggested.

It looks like it could be cold and rainy...much like Seattle at that time of year.

2014 Honda Odyssey

don't forget to go to the pastry place!! (twice!)

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (adp)

I have noted that in our notes. Thanks for the recommendation.
      2014 Honda Odyssey

Have one for me - something with custard!!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast