Information about the Gothenburg region - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (adp)

Just thought I would keep this string alive...

Just had a read through, and although I created (not patting my own back, but....) it does contain some quite good things for all you coming over soon...

Any more questions?

Yours,
      JonasL

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (jonas_lindquist)

Yannis,
      Can you sticky this?? Please.

If you both are still monitoring this thread, I will be coming over Feb. 10th, 2005 for our delivery, but will not be actually driving the car. Our daughter is studying in Copenhagen, and we are planning on taking the train on Fri. afternoon to Copenhagen. I understand the train station is very close to the hotel used for the OSD, but do you happen to know the train schedule and if the train goes to a central station in copenhagen?

THANKS so much for all your previous responses, really helpful!!
      Rich

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (vtrich)

Not sure of your schedule or how much time you will have on your trip, but it seems a shame to not drive your new Volvo on its native soil! (and you get those cool red license plates to put up in your garage and/or drive around with until you get all the paperwork to be able to actually license it back in the U.S.)

We did the full factory delivery (ask for an a.m. time), then a brief drive around the neighborhood (or on the factory roads if you don't want to venture out), a quick stop at the factory store across the street, back to the FDC building for the limo ride to lunch, and the factory tour which ended about 2:30. We then hopped on the freeway to Malmo and crossed the beautiful new bridge ($35 toll approx?) to Copenhagen in only about 3.5 hours driving time. You'll be there in time for dinner with your daughter!

You could return the car to Goteborg I suppose, or it would be $345 to leave it in Copenhagen for trucking to the nearest Port (perhaps back to Goteborg?) for shipping home, less at other Ports if you have time to travel a bit more. Which model are you buying?

2005 XC90 2.5 OSD, 2006 S40 OSD, 2007 S40, 2007 S40 OSD, 2012 XC90R OSD Fall 2011

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (seattlexc90)

Thanks Seattle,
      We will actually take delivery, and will drive around Goteburg in the am, but I am not planning on "touring" in the car. We will return the car the same day we pick it up. We're buying a v70R, it comes with tires not terribly well suited to winter driving, so we figured easiest to take the train after abit of exploring by foot.
      Thanks for the feedback.

A quick check at the SJ homepage http://www.sj.se/ (swedeish state railroads) shows that there is approx 1 train every hour that leaves for Malmö/Copenhagen from Göteborg on weekdays. There should be no problem getting tickes if you book them when you arrive here in Sweden. Just make shure that you dont get on one of the slower trains (5 hours instead of 3,5...).
      Some trains stop in Malmö and then you need to switch there, other heads directly for Copenhagen. Anyhow, train leves betwheen Malmö and Copenhagen more or less around the clock.

//

Modified by megapolaren at 2:26 PM 1-14-2005

Quote, originally posted by vtrich »
      If you both are still monitoring this thread....

Yes! That is why sticky would be good....

Quote, originally posted by vtrich »
      We will return the car the same day we pick it up. We're buying a v70R, it comes with tires not terribly well suited to winter driving, so we figured easiest to take the train after abit of exploring by foot.
      Thanks for the feedback.

The feedback I can give you is: TAKE THE CAR! Ofcource, the train will get you there fine, and just as Megapolaren said, approx every hour. Anyhow, some advice to all of you:

THE WEATHER CONDITION WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM. Honestly.

Especially as you're driving from Gothenburg to Copenhagen, and it is so close to the sea most of the time, the snow (if any, guessing no snow at all) will ever lay on the roads. As with ice, the swedish road department (Vägverket, http://www.vv.se ) are very good at scattering salt onto the roads quickly to prevent slippery roads. They are especially quick to get there when it comes to major roads as the E6, E4 and E20.

So, again, DO TAKE THE CAR! You will love it!

//JonasL

*bump*

Forum Sponsor universityvolvoOSD's Avatar

Jonas..

How much trouble would it be for you to do a short list of some of the local restaurants/pubs for some of our US OSDers? I know they can get a Goteborg Guide when they arrive at the Radisson, but by the time they are there, they are so excited about picking up their new car, that sometimes they forget to find out about the local night spots.
      IMO, the Brassreie Ferdinand is a great little spot, but I am sure there are more!

Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (universityvolvoOSD)

Bob,
      If you want, I can mail you few detailed local maps and pamphlets (+ Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen). The catch is that they are 10/2004 version and you pay the postage. I do not think restaurants/pubs/attractions have moved since then.
      francis

We are picking up our V50 in Goteborg on 24 March and returning it to Volvo the same day. The following day we are scheduled to travel to Stockholm for another 3 days before returning to the States. The SAS flight from Goteborg to Stockholm is included in our Winter Package Special. Nevertheless, we are considering taking the train on the Goteborg - Stockholm leg at our own expense so we can see a bit more of your country. The SJ website says the Intercity train tickets are 434SEK. What do you think?

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region (Brahms)

Hi Brahms!

Quote, originally posted by Brahms »
      Nevertheless, we are considering taking the train on the Goteborg - Stockholm leg at our own expense so we can see a bit more of your country. The SJ website says the Intercity train tickets are 434SEK. What do you think?

If you want to see the country, I don't think the train is the best choise. Of course you get to see the country side, but in the mean time you are restricted to seeing it outside the train window. If you were to drive (which i recommend over flying seeing as you have a new car which wants to be driven ) you would have the option of stopping where you please.

However, if the choise is between taking the train and flying, I would recommend flying. The intercity train takes approx 5 hours and stops as soon as the driver sees a little old lady. The X2000 (hi-speed train) takes approx 2 hours, and would be my choise if I was limited to taking the train.

The time it takes to get from Gothenburg city centre to Stockholm city centre is faster on the X2000 tahn flying. Not by much, but just so you know.

To summerize the above: Take the plane! Its "free of charge" and you get to spend more time in Stockholm and its surroundings rather than taking the Intercity train.

Yours,
      JonasL

How far is scandinavian Car Tuning from Goteburg? this would be a sweet combo, overseas delivery, then stage 3 upgrade tax free . a viking museum etc . wouldn't be bad either.
      For Sale, my 05 V50 T5 $11,900 obo. Colorado Springs !
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...lorado-Springs

Re: (V50_T5)

Quote, originally posted by V50_T5 »
      How far is scandinavian Car Tuning from Goteburg?

It is in Kungälv. When you are at the Volvo Torlanda Plant (where you pick your car up), it is approximatly right between, distance wise, the SAS Radisson Hotel and SCT. In other words, getting to SCT is a walk in the park.

Good luck!

//JonasL

Re: (jonas_lindquist)

Jonas, which part of Goteborg is the delivery center located? I need to find a hotel near the center for our last night in Sweden. Thanks a lot for all of the great info you've provided on the region. Ron

Re: (borgron)

Quote, originally posted by borgron »
      Jonas, which part of Goteborg is the delivery center located? I need to find a hotel near the center for our last night in Sweden. Thanks a lot for all of the great info you've provided on the region. Ron

Sorry for the delay of my answer. Am chocked with work at the moment and havn't looked in the forums. Sorry!

Anyhow: The delivery centre is located on Hisingen, north of the city centre. However, I still strongly recommend you to book a hotel in the city centre as to travel from the FDC to town is approx 10-15 minutes in your new XC90.

The FDC is right in the middle of the so called "Volvo City". When you get there you will know why. It is a large industrial estate which houses everything from production to administration.

Bottom line: Why not the Radisson SAS?

//Jonas

Forum Sponsor universityvolvoOSD's Avatar

Re: (jonas_lindquist)

Re: things not to miss in southern Sweden (asja) » 9:12 AM 11-6-2006

I only want to share a few links with you.
      http://www.visitsweden.com
      http://bastkusten.vastsverige.....aspx

I think it can give some inspiration.

Thought this would be helpful to those reading this thread and looking for some good in good info!
      Tak Hyxarn! Cheers

Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

Scenic Drives around Göteborg and Stockholm

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Jonas, Thanks for your resourceful information on this thread. I really appreciate it as I plan my trip to pick up my C70 at the end of March

Do you have any recommendations for scenic drives around Göteborg and Stockholm for end of March/early April time frame? We are staying in Göteborg for a two nights before heading over to Stockholm for a few nights there.

Any recommendation on which Scandic hotels to stay?

Tack för hjälpen

Re: Scenic Drives around Göteborg and Stockholm (c70bentsubpilot)

Quote, originally posted by c70bentsubpilot »
      Do you have any recommendations for scenic drives around Göteborg and Stockholm for end of March/early April time frame? We are staying in Göteborg for a two nights before heading over to Stockholm for a few nights there.

When driving from Göteborg to Stockholm, I strongly recommend taking the R40 through Borås and Jönköping and then merging onto the E4 to Stockholm, instead of the recommended E20 from Göteborg to Stockholm. The R40 isn't the most exciting road in the world, but the E4 from Jönköping is scenic and very good quality road. On the R40 you can take almost any perpendicular road and head out "into the woods", stop buy a lake and just enjoy the view. There are several speed cameras between Borås and Ulricehamn where the speed is limited to 70 km/h.

//Jonas

Re: Scenic Drives around Göteborg and Stockholm (jonas_lindquist)

Tack så mycket!

I met a Swedish family here in Virginia Beach, who gave me similar advice, and also told me that I should stop at Gränna for some candy.

Can you recommend a restaurant that serves good vealenberry? Apparently, it's a great local veal dish.

Jonas:

I saw your post about the northern islands near Gothenburg, we have about a day and half to drive our XC 90 around Gothenburg area, what do you recommend? Go to the northern islands? Any other places worth visiting? Thanks for your help.

Re: Scenic Drives around Göteborg and Stockholm (c70bentsubpilot)

I met a Swedish family here in Virginia Beach, who gave me similar advice, and also told me that I should stop at Gränna for some candy.

Yep! Don't miss.

Can you recommend a restaurant that serves good vealenberry? Apparently, it's a great local veal dish.

I have no idea what you are talking about. vealenberry? Is that in english or swedish? Veal is english, by enberry... are you grasping after uniper berries? (Enbär in swedish?). Uniper is usually used for game, e.g. elk, reindeer etc.

//Jonas

Re: Wallenbergare (jonas_lindquist)

Jonas,

Four days until I leave for Göteborg

The Swedish family said the veal dish is wallenbergare, and to have it at the Restaurant Prinsen in Stockholm. Another local dish is biff rydberg.

I look forward to my trip!

Re: Wallenbergare (c70bentsubpilot)

The Swedish family said the veal dish is wallenbergare, and to have it at the Restaurant Prinsen in Stockholm. Another local dish is biff rydberg.

Okey! Both Wallenbergare (minced meat of veal, made sort of like burgers served with mashed potatoes) and Biff Rydberg (Fryup of onions, potatoes and tenderloin/beef/etc, all choped info small pieces, served with a raw egg or just the yolk) are both traditional swedish dishes, not local for Stockholm.

I havn't been Stockholm that many times, and I don't know about prinsen. There webpage looks good though. Check out their meny: http://www.restaurangprinsen.c...t.pdf

//Jonas

Re: Biff Rydberg, reindeer, and elk (jonas_lindquist)

Jonas,

My best friend and I had an AMAZING time in Sweden! I'm sad to come back; you live in a beautiful country!

I did get to try biff rydberg; I liked it. We didn't make it to Restaurang Prinsen in Stockholm, but we did go to dinner at the Fem Sma Hus, and had a drink at the Gondolen. They were great places to remember Stockholm by.

I also had some reindeer and elk, for the first time. They were delicious! So if Santa doesn't come this year, it's because I had Rudolph for dinner...

I enjoyed visitng Granna along the way from Goteborg to Stockholm. That's a beautiful country village, too.

I look forward to going back again. My best friend might buy a Volvo via OSD in a few years...

Tack så mycket! Jag hade en mycket trevlig resa i Sverige

Bus Station & Bus Travel

I have a couple questions about Bus Travel from Gothenburg:

Is the bus station easy to find? I heard it was near the train station...

Has anyone traveled by bus? I heard the direct bus to Oslo was faster than the train to Oslo, cheaper than the train, and takes you to city center (near our hotel).

Has anyone found an easy way to by tickets in advance? The Swebus website appears to only be in swedish. Should I wait to buy tickets the day before or is this risky?

Thanks!

2010 C70, Mostly Stock, 6SPD Manual Trans

Re: Bus Station & Bus Travel (oilspot)

Quote, originally posted by oilspot »
      Is the bus station easy to find? I heard it was near the train station...

Entering the train station from SAS Radisson, continue through the building et voilà - Bus station!

Has anyone traveled by bus? I heard the direct bus to Oslo was faster than the train to Oslo, cheaper than the train, and takes you to city center (near our hotel).

Faster? No idea. Cheaper = yes.

Has anyone found an easy way to by tickets in advance? The Swebus website appears to only be in swedish. Should I wait to buy tickets the day before or is this risky?

This is a very thin line to walk. Bus istead of train? No idea... The question is: you're picking up a car: why not drive yourself??

//Jonas

Re: Information about the Gothenburg region

Jonas, my family and I will be in G'borg May 27, and picking up our car on May 29th. My boys are ages 14 and 11, so finding good non-fast food is sometimes difficult. Is there a somewhat kid friendly place near the SAS Radisson that you could recommend? Walking distance would be great, or if you can explain the tram lines to take. Thanks for all the info you provide.
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD OSD
      2007 S60 2.5T OSD
      1995 850
      1999 C70 Coupe

Re: Bus Station & Bus Travel (jonas_lindquist)

Quote, originally posted by jonas_lindquist »

This is a very thin line to walk. Bus istead of train? No idea... The question is: you're picking up a car: why not drive yourself??

//Jonas

Not that I need to defend myself, but here area a couple reasons:
      1. Get the car home as soon as possible
      2. Gas Prices
      3. Parking Challlenges
      4. A lot of our time in Norway will be on the Ferries

Maybe next trip we will feel differently (or plan to go south rather than north).

When we did our OSD in March, we opted to turn the car in right away, and traveled by train (with a car rental for a few days in Bergen).

Our primary reason was that we did not have the time to drive across Norway and back to turn in the car. Even if we turned it in at Drammen, it would have been difficult.

You also have the option to return from a different city. We flew into Gothenburg, but home from Bergen.

We found the trains to be extremely comfortable, on-time, and relatively inexpensive. From Gothenburg to Oslo, the fare was $83 per person.

From Oslo to Bergen, the fare was $44 per person for first class seating (this was an advance fare purchased 2 months ahead of time).

If you spend any time in Oslo or Bergen, the city cards will give you free travel on buses, trams, and subways, as well as admission to almost all of the museums.

You are right about getting your car back ASAP. We turned ours in on 3/23, and must have hit everything right for timing, because it was at the delivering dealer on May 3.

2017 XC60 Inscription Magic Blue
      2007 V50 T5 AWD Passion Red
      OSD March, 2007 - The only way to buy a Volvo!!
      1998 850 Turbo Polar White

I don't have any inputs for the other modes of transportation... We put on almost 1,500 miles in my C70, so I'm siding with Jonas. I do hope you'll get to drive your C70 some, balancing fun with cost and travel schedule and all. Having the top down driving around Sweden, Denmark, and Germany was unforgettable... Just thinking about it makes me grin. It was worth the money for me.

My Nina should arrive this week. Look forward to it very much.

Re: Bus Station & Bus Travel (c70bentsubpilot)

I. I do hope you'll get to drive your C70 some, balancing fun with cost and travel schedule and all. Having the top down driving around Sweden, Denmark, and Germany was unforgettable... Just thinking about it makes me grin. It was worth the money for me.

Yup, we plan to drive our car around for about 2.5 days before sending it home. We'll try the top-down, but 50's is a bit chilly for true top down weather (unless your wearing a funny hat and driving an old MG).

My wife and I decided we would let someone else do the long haul driving between cities, because of the amount of ground we are covering.
      Our decision is more of a personal choice than straight economic, but economics, logistics, timing, and convenience are factors too.

From what I have read and heard the express bus to Oslo from Gothenburg is 3.5 hours and goes to the city center. The train is not an express and takes about an hour longer, plus only runs a few times per day. Plus the bus is about half the cost of the train. We will probably talk to the ticket agent our first day in Gothenburg and buy our tickets then. We will probably try the bus, unless we encounter some unexpected issue(s).

One of the most interesting things we did in Gothenburg was to take a canal/harbor boat ride. The departure point is quite close to the Radisson and you get a great tour of the city and the harbor.

Roadsigns in Sweden

The idea is to give all you guys coming over here a preview of Swedish road signs, and their meaning. I know that some are intuitive, but some aren't. Here we go!

Road number. Green background means highway.

Blue means major road. These are the ones you will se mostly.

Exit sign.

Meaning that there is an onramp merging to the right lane. Remember that you have to give way to the cars mering ONTO the road (opposite in e.g. Germany and France).

Indicates exit number on highway. Fairly new in Sweden. If you get a newer map, it will have these printed. Quite more handy than "Bäckebolsmotet" and other exit names.

Godd spot to pull over and stretch the legs.

Point of interest. Can be an old fortress or likewise.

If you get a V8: get used to this one...

Okay, warning signs now:

I like this one! Look out for pier!

The moose is loose....

Roundabout up a head. Remember to give way to cars already in the roundabout.

Railway crossing with gates up a head.

Railway crossing WITHOUT gates up a head. Look out for the train!

Tram up ahead. These monsters will be found i Göteborg, Norrköping and Stockholm. The ones in Göteborg weigh up to 60 000 kg, so keep your eyes open, they stop for nothing!

This is a warning for something up head that they haven't made up a sign for yet.

Now onto the prohibit signs:

Prohibited to enter street (with vehicle). (usually at the wrong end of a one way street).

Vehicle traffic prohibited.

Same as above, but mopeds/vespas/scooters allowed.

Prohibited to make a left turn.

Prohibited to make a u turn.

Speed limit, in km/h. Divide by 1,6 to get it in miles per hour.

No parking. Only loading, and unloading.

No stopping at any time.

Customs up ahead.

Highway.

Dual carrigeway

this is a really good one to remember. This means that your entering a rural area and the speed limit is 50 km/h.

One way street, pointing out the direction.

Lines in the street:

You are driving from the bottom to the top of the picure. This means give the right of way to crossing cars.

Stop!

Speed limit.

Pedestrian crossing. Remember, if there are no traffic lights, you are obliged by law to give way to pedestrians.

===

Okay, I think that'll be all for now. If you come up with any, post here.

(Just a small reflection: when talking about traffic, one can really see the differences between British and American English. Having lived in England, the words "zebra crossing" would never leave my lips)

//Jonas

UPDATE! A red light means STOP! You can NEVER take a right turn or anything like that!

Modified by jonas_lindquist at 10:55 PM 10-12-2009

Modified by jonas_lindquist at 10:57 PM 10-12-2009

Winter daytrip

I will be picking up my vehicle at the beginning of January with my wife and kids (almost 4 and 6). Any recommendations for a day trip by car from Gothenburg where we can see some scenery and snow?
      2008 XC90 V8 electric silver/off black -- winter 2008 OSD via Bob K.
      2011 BMW 535i titanium silver/black 6 speed manual (because no S60R manual)
      previous -- 2004 XC90, 2004 S60R 6 speed, 2008 C70, and 2008 Saab TurboX 6 speed

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast