MyNameIdeasWereTaken C30 Progression Thread - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
      Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Swapped out the slightly worn Elevate torque mount for an E-Focus mount. As I said with the S40, the Elevate mount is great for the first few thousand miles, but it wears out with time and abuse. The E-focus mount is not as firm, but it's a noticeable upgrade from the stock mount and lasts a lot longer.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I also have that same mount. It's great. Not as stiff as other options but not all loosey goosey like the volvo one.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

2006 Ti SR 6MT - Scrapped by CMOD_R.

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.

I have the poly mount insert and i love it! Still shifts firm and has 25k miles on it. Can't complain for $60. They make a solid "race" insert which i've heard is REALLY stiff
      07 S40 2.4 GT Passion Red Instagram: @ItsReallySlow and @TRUdetailing
      SlowVo. Progression Thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ession-Thread-)
      PARTS FOR SALE: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...09#post2405609

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

i serioously wish they made an awd c30 if they did i woulda got it

Battery Relocation

Why? Here's a good article about how moving a battery can put you closer to perfect balance: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ry-relocation/
      • To move 30+lbs from the front driver's side to the back passenger side.
      • To extend the life of the battery by moving it away from the hot turbo engine.
      • Because I'll need the extra engine bay space for my next project.

Is it safe?
      • P2Rs have trunk batteries, it's not something new to Volvo.
      • Battery technology has improved a lot, so they're less likely to release harmful gasses. There's still a risk, but there's a risk with everything.

I cut a rectangular hole in my shelf to fit the box, then bolted it down.
      The power wire was run through the cabin through the usual route, passing through the grommet behind the glove box. A fuse was added 12" from the battery so if anything happens, there isn't a live wire running the length of the car.
      I ground down the area around one of the bolts in the trunk to use as my battery ground.

Up front, it was just a matter of reconnecting various wires to the new power source and cleaning everything up.

Admittedly, the box is a bit bulky. If the shelf extended level with the trunk, the battery could be completely hidden, but this suffices for my needs and still provides easy access to the battery.

Update:
      I built a full storage bin in place of my back seat, so the battery is completely covered and hidden. Also a great storage place for my spare tools, parts, and jumper cables.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      Well... I am in the process of building a front splitter. Here is the first prototype, just with corrugated plastic.

Surprisingly, the front does feel a little more planted in high speed turns. Going over bumps on the highway, you can hear the difference of air rushing under the car.

Been testing it for a few days at various speeds, so far so good. Next step is to build a splitter with a firmer material and see how well it can take a beating.

It also protects my front lip from road debris and is a scrape notification system. The lip sits higher than the side skirts, so I've found a few speed bumps I thought I could clear, until the front wheels made it over... So at least now I can sacrifice the cheap splitter as the "you won't clear this" notification system.
      Want more pics about splitter

Why? Here's a good article about how moving a battery can put you closer to perfect balance: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ry-relocation/
      • To move 30+lbs from the front driver's side to the back passenger side.
      • To extend the life of the battery by moving it away from the hot turbo engine.
      • Because I'll need the extra engine bay space for my next project.

Is it safe?
      • P2Rs have trunk batteries, it's not something new to Volvo.
      • Battery technology has improved a lot, so they're less likely to release harmful gasses. There's still a risk, but there's a risk with everything.

I cut a rectangular hole in my shelf to fit the box, then bolted it down.
      The power wire was run through the cabin through the usual route, passing through the grommet behind the glove box. A fuse was added 12" from the battery so if anything happens, there isn't a live wire running the length of the car.
      I ground down the area around one of the bolts in the trunk (pun intended) to use as my battery ground.

Up front, it was just a matter of reconnecting various wires to the new power source and cleaning everything up.

Admittedly, the box is a bit bulky. If the shelf extended level with the trunk, the battery could be completely hidden, but this suffices for my needs and still provides easy access to the battery.

Take at look at this "Moroso 74051 Sealed Battery Box"
      http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-74051-S...ed+battery+box

Breathing even a little of those "harmful gasses" is not good.

Our other hatchback has a rear located battery, it's sealed with a vent hose (like a motorcycle) going thru the floor.

I have an optima battery, so it's technically in a sealed box already. It has a little vent port on the top for extreme circumstances. A lot of people just toss the optima in the car and not think twice about it, no box, just a bracket. I might run a hose from the vent port to the outside of the car, but I'm more concerned about the catless fumes from idling.

Finally got around to fixing the speaker grilles.
      Not the cleanest thing in the world, but for only $25... At least the speaker is protected and it's no longer rattlings with music.

Taped up pliers to avoid scratching the mesh as I bent it.

Finally got around to my horn relocation and installed the light bar. Exact same process / setup as the S40, so I won't go into detail.

Also reapplied my letters. I wanted to do something different, as I really like how clean the glass hatch looks without anything on it.

i LOVE THIS THREAD

Those speaker grilles are awesome! I might have to do something like that one day

I'd really like some more info on those if you're willing to share more ?
      07 S40 2.4 GT Passion Red Instagram: @ItsReallySlow and @TRUdetailing
      SlowVo. Progression Thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ession-Thread-)
      PARTS FOR SALE: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...09#post2405609

How did you run the wire to the engine bay? Do you have a pic of the cables attached in the engine bay? Looks sick

"Embody god... Then go crazy"
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Quote Originally Posted by FosgateLife View Post
      I'd really like some more info on those if you're willing to share more ?
      NO! All my projects are a secret.
      What do you want to know? There's not much to it other than a new mesh grill speaker cover.

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      How did you run the wire to the engine bay? Do you have a pic of the cables attached in the engine bay? Looks sick
      Wires are run through the grommet behind the glove box. But in a GT you can just use the pass through on the driver's side where the clutch would be.

I'll get detailed pictures of the engine bay later, I want to clean up a few things first.

Made a new shift boot, but the only other black leather in the car is the ebrake... So I'll probably ditch this, it kind of clashes.

Also made a new arm rest with added padding, feels great, but again... No other black leather in the car. So it's coming back out!

oooh nice! always wishing the arm rests could have just a tad more padding
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

Saw this today, reminded me of yours but the other way around.
      http://access.bytbil.com/stockholmsn...jekt/gvyrnhsg/
      Current:
      Volvo V90 T5 R-design MY18

Previous:
      Volvo V50 1.8F "R-design" MY08
      VW Golf 3 GT '94

Quote Originally Posted by rentalcar View Post
      Saw this today, reminded me of yours but the other way around.
      http://access.bytbil.com/stockholmsn...jekt/gvyrnhsg/
      That's awesome! I'd really like to see pictures of it on the road though... The contrast against the snow is really harsh, so it's hard to accurately visualize how the blue and silver go together.

Testing out the new mic before next month's P1 sound test. I need to lower the gain a little, picking up a bit too much ambient noise, and the high notes in 1st sound kind of glitchy.

Leaving my mark for those at CTD6 to find.

The Honeymoon!

After leaving the church, we headed straight to Fontana Village Resort.

One of our detours put us on the road to nowhere, so we had to continue.

Found some abandoned motels, and for good reason.

Quick (fast) little drive along Blue Ridge Parkway.

Mandatory cute newly wed photo.

Because everyone decided to leave at 5:30, I got this awesome shot.

Decided to stop in the gardens and smog out a few of their flowers.

Let the wifey slay the dragon.

Had some fun myself...

Went on a midnight run.

Got a picture of the stars.

Decided to climb to the top of this waterfall.

Got photo bombed.

Went on a detour to find a bathroom, which included this dirt road and a 3" drop off a bridge.......
      ...I

Decided to head to Kentucky and explore Mammoth Caves.

Saw some archaeologist dig a hole in the cave.

Had some cash to spend on the night. (put in the bank to order car parts )

Went to Greece... or Tennessee.

See more pictures on Facebook.
      Then came home and washed the car.

Great pictures, Michael. Congratulations!
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Nice butt! Hahaha
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

Added a sticker and took out that arm rest and shift boot. New boot going in, stock arm rest back in place.

Added a sticker and took out that arm rest and shift boot. New boot going in, stock arm rest back in place.

You should put a real carbon rod as the rear strut, It might be more expensive but it would probably be much stiffer and 1/4 of the weight.

Good pics man

"Embody god... Then go crazy"
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunyanderman View Post
      You should put a real carbon rod as the rear strut, It might be more expensive but it would probably be much stiffer and 1/4 of the weight.
      That would be cool if it was cheap enough. The bar only weights ~10-15lbs as is.

New tires, end links dialed in (no more clunk!), and axle boot replaced. Recently acquired a brake grind, thought I'd find a rock stuck in the pad. Instead, I discovered this!

Plenty of meat left on the outer pad... Luckily, I had a new box of HAWK pads in my part's bin. So I also replaced the rear pads and re-greased the caliper piston. Braking is so much smoother now!

Next up is an alignment, then it's time for the last few mods before the dragon.

Your car looks amazing on the Midirs. I've just bought a set, 7.5s, and I've ordered some H and R 15mm spacers to get them out a bit. I've already lowered by about 30mm front anad back. Just wondering if I'm going to need to roll wings (fenders in US!) What size are your spacers front and rear? Are your Midirs 7.5s or 8s?

Most midirs are 7.5". The 8" ones only came on the c70 which are rarely on sale
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

Quote Originally Posted by honigstrauss View Post
      Your car looks amazing on the Midirs. I've just bought a set, 7.5s, and I've ordered some H and R 15mm spacers to get them out a bit. I've already lowered by about 30mm front anad back. Just wondering if I'm going to need to roll wings (fenders in US!) What size are your spacers front and rear? Are your Midirs 7.5s or 8s?
      I have 20mm spacers up front and 25mm spacers in the rear with 7.5" wide wheels wrapped in 225s. You should be fine with not needing to roll, you may get a little rub on the plastic fender liners, but nothing to be too concerned about.

Yep! In the process of building a rear shelf to extend the trunk further. Battery is going to be relocated to the trunk, and I'm finishing up the rear strut bar.

It won't be exactly like this, but this will give you the general idea:

The Cupra lip is what Slasher went with, but I need to make sure it'll line up right with the V2 body kit on my car.

Any idea what size fairing to slap on for oem load rack?

your car pics of you and your wife just scream to me "relationship goals" :'D

I have 20mm spacers up front and 25mm spacers in the rear with 7.5" wide wheels wrapped in 225s. You should be fine with not needing to roll, you may get a little rub on the plastic fender liners, but nothing to be too concerned about.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to getting our car half way towards the look of yours!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! A few updates from last weekend, but I'll until I have pictures uploaded before I post.

Quote Originally Posted by 03C View Post
      Any idea what size fairing to slap on for oem load rack?
      That is a question for Slasher

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast