MyNameIdeasWereTaken C30 Progression Thread - Page 10
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by adamyeti View Post
      Looks great! Won't 320s on the rear upset the brake balance though?
      I have 330's front and rear, doesn't change the brake balance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
      I have 330's front and rear, doesn't change the brake balance.
      Whoa! Sounds like some crazy stopping power then!
      Progression Thread: 2006 S40 2.4i 120k+

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by adamyeti View Post
      Looks great! Won't 320s on the rear upset the brake balance though?
      As lookforjoe mentioned, the balance won't be offset so long as the front to rear caliper size ratio doesn't change dramatically.
      I'm just getting brackets to push the stock caliper out further, then adding in 320 rotors from a Jag.

I had a friend who put the 300mm calipers on the back with 320s up front, that did upset the balance and his rears were close to locking up when braking hard.

It's a delicate thing to play with, but since I'm not the first to do this mod, I'm a little more confident in it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The finishing touches; modified the seat side panel to fit on the Sparco.

Also swapped on new Volvo wiper blades. I've tried other generic brands, but Volvo's have been the best. It's the little details that matter

Haha, and the Volvo blades actually say Volvo on them, which makes it totally worth the few bucks extra.

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      Haha, and the Volvo blades actually say Volvo on them, which makes it totally worth the few bucks extra.
      $5 more than the Bosch blades, but it put my shopping cart over $xxx so I could use a $10 coupon. So in the end, they were the cheapest option.
      Lifetime replacement warranty on these too!

Duuude, the seat controls on the side make it look so much better. Nice work on getting that mounted on the SPARCO!
      1998 V70 T5 M - 16T, Japanifold, custom 3" exhaust, IPD intake, do88 intercooler & piping, IPD sway bars, strut brace, and springs, Koni yellows, Porsche/R BBK, CJ's sub frame bushings, Quaife LSD, SPEC stage 2 clutch (SMF)

2005 Toyota Prius - 1996 Lexus LX450 - 1993 Volkswagen EuroVan Westfalia

Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
      Duuude, the seat controls on the side make it look so much better. Nice work on getting that mounted on the SPARCO!
      Thanks! Have you even started to look at your Sparco project?

After taking apart that 850 seat, it looks like the seat belt bolts to the very bottom rail. So if you can recycle P80 rails, you shouldn't have any problem still using the stock seat belt.

I decided it was time to extend the fog grilles into those stupid bump-outs on the front bumper. SUPER pleased with the results, looks a lot more aggressive (and smiley) in my opinion. Eventually, I may add ducts for brake vents.

Only about 1" of the metal bumper is exposed, which I also painted black to make less apparent.

It does look a little strange from the side, but I'm still very pleased with how it turned out.

That was a brave move, but very well executed! Changes the look of the front end a lot. I like it though! Very unique for sure
      Progression Thread: 2006 S40 2.4i 120k+

Very nice!

Thanks guys! A bit intimidating to cut into the bumper... But I've also cut into the hood. So I guess I'm not too scared when it comes to being destructive with this car.

The lines were cut out of the actual bumper. Here's a picture from my test fitting; after cutting, before sanding/painting.

Fender alignment looks hideously off because I didn't have the bumper in place, it was just resting against the car.

What did you use to cut it? Some pretty steady hands, you have.
      -Jeff
      '07 S40 T5 AWD. H&R SS springs, K&N CAI, IPD+ TCV.
      Coming soon - Custom DP, eBay special IC, Custom IC Pipes, manual exhaust cut-out, S60R clutch setup w/SMF, Tune (suggestions??)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0102 View Post
      What did you use to cut it? Some pretty steady hands, you have.
      Standard dremel tool

320mm TheBelgian rear brake kit:

320 rotor next to the 280 stock

TheBelgian extended caliper bracket

320s front and rear

The braking feel is extremely balanced with a lot more bite than stock 280 rears and 300 fronts. Using HAWK HPS pads on all four corners.

This car can stop on a dime.

Three cheers for bigger rotors! To my non-car oriented wife I always explain the easy way to spot a car that actually is fast, vs one that appears fast is to look at the size of the brake rotors. It's a pet peeve of mine, and yours look fabulous.

Looking great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drjonez Race Mode switch

First step is to get the seat out of the way. You can leave the seat in place and simply slide it all the way forward, but I found it easier to just undo the 4 bolts and tilt it back.
      (video for fully removing the seat if you're not familiar with where those four bolts are)

Pull back the carpet to reveal the Yaw Sensor

I split the yellow/red wire for my switch

My write up is for those with the facelift interior.
      Here is the switch for my LED light bar, so I could not put my switch there.

Here is the switch for the LED light bar in my 04.5 S40. Could be another possible location for a switch.

In my C30, the plan was to put the switch in place of the useless change cubby.
      With the console trim pulled off, the cubby simply unclips from the bottom.

I cut a piece of rigid aluminum to fit in that slot, then drilled a hole for my switch. I had to reverse my switch so that when the cover is closed, it remains on (complete circuit for traction control) and I can turn it off for "race mode." I also wrapped that piece of aluminum in black vinyl to make it a little more OEM looking.

I drilled a hole through the cubby to feed the wires.

Cubby snapped back in, holding my switch plate in place.

The end result with race mode "on" (while the switch is turned "off"):

And for daily driving:

When race mode is enabled, this is what the dash displays:

You can flip the switch at any time to disable traction control. To turn traction control back on, the switch my be flipped to complete the circuit for the Yaw sensor and the car will have to be restarted. Upon initial restart, I have no warning lights or messages, all is as it should be.

very clever

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      I decided it was time to extend the fog grilles into those stupid bump-outs on the front bumper. SUPER pleased with the results, looks a lot more aggressive (and smiley) in my opinion. Eventually, I may add ducts for brake vents.

Only about 1" of the metal bumper is exposed, which I also painted black to make less apparent.

It does look a little strange from the side, but I'm still very pleased with how it turned out.

Money Shot right there. Simply Amazing work, I think I'm getting a ton of ideas now. Thanks Michael!
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Quote Originally Posted by DevolvR View Post
      Money Shot right there. Simply Amazing work, I think I'm getting a ton of ideas now. Thanks Michael!
      Thanks Alfred! Done anything to the R recently?

Got my new camber arms installed, that fixed the wheel wobble and one of my clunks, but I also discovered a bent rear shock. The fronts are fine, the wheels are fine, but the shock does not go straight up and down and it makes a clunking noise over bumpers, no leaks though!

The H&R coilovers are nice, but if I'm paying to replace rear shocks, I want something with adjustable dampening.
      Thanks to the desperate guys on the Mazda 3 forums, before Koni, Bilstein, etc. made shocks for them, they were looking at other alternatives. While the old Focus C170 platform is different from the C1 platform, there are many similarities. The rear suspension has an identical geometry; shocks, springs, sways bars, etc. all fit.

Many have raved about the KYB shocks, the price was definitely right at only $63 a piece with a lifetime warranty. I really like that the adjustment knob is on the side and not the top, so adjustment is easy.

The only real concern is the weight difference. The 2004 Focus is ~300lbs lighter than our cars, but considering that those are sedans with expected rear passengers, and I have no back seat, I imagine these will be fairly sufficient.
      They should be here by next week, so I will keep you updated on confirmed fitment and ride quality.

Got my new camber arms installed, that fixed the wheel wobble and one of my clunks, but I also discovered a bent rear shock. The fronts are fine, the wheels are fine, but the shock does not go straight up and down and it makes a clunking noise over bumpers, no leaks though!

The H&R coilovers are nice, but if I'm paying to replace rear shocks, I want something with adjustable dampening.
      Thanks to the desperate guys on the Mazda 3 forums, before Koni, Bilstein, etc. made shocks for them, they were looking at other alternatives. While the old Focus C170 platform is different from the C1 platform, there are many similarities. The rear suspension has an identical geometry; shocks, springs, sways bars, etc. all fit.

Many have raved about the KYB shocks, the price was definitely right at only $63 a piece with a lifetime warranty. I really like that the adjustment knob is on the side and not the top, so adjustment is easy.

The only real concern is the weight difference. The 2004 Focus is ~300lbs lighter than our cars, but considering that those are sedans with expected rear passengers, and I have no back seat, I imagine these will be fairly sufficient.
      They should be here by next week, so I will keep you updated on confirmed fitment and ride quality.
      Weight difference shouldn't matter, it's the shock valving that should matter. You should have them revalved to whatever spring rate you're using. This is where a lot of people confuse weight of the car. The spring rate should be in consideration when choosing a spring and vehicle weight is accounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while on the toilet.
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

Thanks Alfred! Done anything to the R recently?
      Nah some minor stuff here and there, mostly maintenance mode nowadays since having a kid, some priorities have shifted. After seeing how this thread has grown, got me excited again
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Quote Originally Posted by JN2k108 View Post
      Weight difference shouldn't matter, it's the shock valving that should matter. You should have them revalved to whatever spring rate you're using. This is where a lot of people confuse weight of the car. The spring rate should be in consideration when choosing a spring and vehicle weight is accounted.
      I admit, I don't know much about shock valving. But lots of positive reviews of these struts with lowered cars on the Mazda and Focus forums, so we'll see how they are.
      Coming from the H&Rs, I'm sure anything will be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by DevolvR View Post
      Nah some minor stuff here and there, mostly maintenance mode nowadays since having a kid, some priorities have shifted. After seeing how this thread has grown, got me excited again
      I hear you there. No kids for me yet, but priorities have slightly changed with married life. It has mostly been the cheap cosmetic mods and upgrading worn parts in the last few months.

Finally got the C30 down to 0-60mph in 5.3 seconds, measured with Dash Command.

52°F, dryish weather, with better tires than I was using before. Flat road with the best launch I've ever done. I tried it again and I couldn't get anything better than a 5.9.

Definitely saving this number for my personal record books.

^^How easy is it to temporarily use this on another car, a.k.a. mine? I wanna know my 0-60 time!
      1998 V70 T5 M - 16T, Japanifold, custom 3" exhaust, IPD intake, do88 intercooler & piping, IPD sway bars, strut brace, and springs, Koni yellows, Porsche/R BBK, CJ's sub frame bushings, Quaife LSD, SPEC stage 2 clutch (SMF)

Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
      ^^How easy is it to temporarily use this on another car, a.k.a. mine? I wanna know my 0-60 time!
      We'll do it at the next meet! The device works in our 850, so I'm sure it'll work in your car too, just so long as the V70 provides sufficient data through the OBDII.

I learned so much by going to Lincoln, NE. They had a workshop on rebuilding shocks and history of shocks. So eye opening on how suspension dynamics work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while on the toilet.
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

Got the new shocks put on. They are a bit shorter than the H&R shocks... But the ride quality is a night and day difference! The back end is a lot less bouncy and feels more planted through the bumpy turns. Compared to the H&Rs, these are a lot more comfortable as well.

I refinished my spare Peg with a textured silver. This will be a little more durable to the things I throw on top of it.

Also got a new toy for AutoX and the Dragon!

Nice! I need to figure out a way to neatly stow the "R" space saver - I need it to clear the F&R BBK's.....

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
      Nice! I need to figure out a way to neatly stow the "R" space saver - I need it to clear the F&R BBK's.....
      At first I just used a board of wood and cut a hole for the wheel, but it hindered easy access to the cubbies around the wheel. I'm still using the stock base for the spare tire.

I have since cut the hole into the factory cover, which opens and closes just fine. The cover is fiberglass, so wear gloves when you cut it!

The wheel is held in place with a long bolt, drilled through the center cap.

Under the carpet: bolt with washer.

So this just happened...

How many desk chairs of pockets both front and back?

HAHAHAHA! Best office chair ever. You've given me something to think about. I have enough Volvo seats laying around my house, I need to try this.

If only you had a seat heater in this one, too!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast