Heated Steering Wheel - Can you add it?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Heated Steering Wheel - Can you add it?

Can the heated steering wheel be added after delivery? If you bought the wheel, moved the airbag, how do you add the button on the console? Are the wires in the steering column for it?

Does anybody know?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bofus View Post
      Can the heated steering wheel be added after delivery? If you bought the wheel, moved the airbag, how do you add the button on the console? Are the wires in the steering column for it?

Does anybody know?
      Unfortunately not. I looked into this a little last winter. The heated wheel will require a new clockspring and steering wheel controller in addition to the wiring harness to it. It would also require software for the added button on the console. The hardware alone would be cost prohibitive and you would still need software from Volvo which doesn't exist for your year. So unless Volvo decides to make this an accessory (to offer all the pieces at a reasonable price) your only hope for a heated steering wheel would be to jerry-rig it. Get the heated wheel and clockspring then wire it to a switch and fuse if that is even possible. Yet another missed opportunity for after sale income from Volvo.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

IMHO - heated grips on a motorcycle (I had them on a 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200) = Good..........heated steering wheel in a car with a heater and roof = why?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You'd be surprised how nice a heated steering wheel is on a cold morning. Volvo's heated steering wheel heats up very quickly. I would have never thought it was something I needed until I had it.
      1982 Volvo GLT w/ small block V8, T5 manual tranny and a bunch of stuff. to handle and go fast
      Gone and totaled V50 with a few mods, K16, Enem cams 3' DP and cat back, KW V2 coilovers, etc. I miss that one
      2015.5 Polestar V60 BSM #44/80

Quote Originally Posted by hardware View Post
      IMHO - heated grips on a motorcycle (I had them on a 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200) = Good..........heated steering wheel in a car with a heater and roof = why?
      It's a nice to have, if thrown in with a package. Had it on my A8 as part of the cold weather package, and it helped on really cold mornings, but I wouldn't pay extra for it on its own. This option made slightly more sense than the powered telescoping steering column.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

The issue is that the Mrs has peripheral neuropathy, or numbness in her hands that leads to that sort of pins-and-needles sensation. Being cold makes it much worse, so a heated steering wheel can mitigate against those symptoms and make it her much more comfortable. Our dealer at the time was not aware you could order the climate package with heated windshield delete, so we bought it without the climate package as the wavy lines were too distracting, especially at night. Apparently Volvo addressed those complaints and offered the delete windshield option on the MY2015.5 It would still be nice to add it, if possible.

..........heated steering wheel in a car with a heater and roof = why?
      I don't like wearing gloves, makes me feel disconnected. A heated wheel would have been on the top of my list and something I would purchase as an accessory for this car because I can't get the right center vent to hit my right hand on the steering wheel to keep them warm like I could on previous cars. I really don't like that vent position and the lack of air flowing from it.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

heated steering wheel in a car with a heater and roof = why?
      Car with heater + roof + (-40 degC) = heated steering wheel good idea
      2018 XC60 T8 eAWD Inscription|| Fusion Red /Maroon Brown Leather
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum || Rebel Blue / Leather - SOLD
      2011 S60 T6 AWD || Ember Black - SOLD
      2011 C30 T5 R-Design || Orange Flame / Off Black Leather/Flex-tec Polestar Tune

Reviving an old thread. Looks like this option is available as an accessory add on after purchase/built for 2011 to 2016 S60.
      Looks like you need a few parts, (Steering wheel, wiring harness, button, software, heating element, bracket, turnstock centerpiece and a some sort of wiring spool.)

Steering Wheel accessories - http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-499813/2016

Installation Instructions: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...-467652-2/2016

Part No. 31373979
      https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...sport-31373979
      Pricing is about $654 for the steering wheel.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

I saw this kit but figured it was only for vehicles in which a heated wheel was an option but not installed. The instructions does say 2011+ but in step 8 there's a prerouted connector to use. This might not be present in earlier models. The heated wheel accessory is still not listed for 2011-2013 vehicles on their website.

Correct. I checked as well and those options disappear when you put in 2012 MY.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Reviving old thread. I found the parts in one salvaged car and would be interested in retrofitting heated steering wheel in MY11.
      We all know that some options in accessories, albeit "not being possible" to be had on our vehicles, are possible to be retrofitted nonetheless, one way or another.

Is such a case with this? Has anyone made any progress with it?

There is some additional info in this thread about the heated wheel but I haven't read that anyone has done it.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...10-2013-models

Basically you will need everything from the 2014 model. Wheel, turn signal switch, wiper stalk, clockspring and the SWM. You will also need to add another module, HSWM with wiring, under the dash and add a button to the center console. Doubtful that you will get software to enable this unless VDASH can do it. Let us know if you get this to work.

Or just do it the old fashioned way. Two wires, an external switch and fuse

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Good luck, it's the one option I'd have really liked to have in my 2015. Used to have a heated wheel in a 2004 Maxima and also have one in the Cadillac. It's definitely something you don't realize how nice it is until you then no longer have it.

Back with the Maxima, cold mornings all I'd need was the heated seat and heated steering wheel.

Subscribed...
      Biggest challenge is the wiring. If someone is able to figure this out like they did with the add on add-on paddle shifter for pre MY2013 cars, we're golden.
      The rest is parts and software which believe you can get from VDASH.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

I'd be interested as well. We had the climate pkg on our '16 V60CC and miss having steering wheel heat on the XC70 though I couldn't keep the V60's on for too long without it feeling uncomfortably warm.

We drove a 2020 V60CC loaner while our XC was waiting for warranty parts. The '20 heated wheel has hi, med, low settings. In moderately cool weather, the low setting is perfect .
      Last edited by halfast3; 03-29-2020 at 12:01 PM.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

"Teacher fired for drinking on the job. Two students expelled for fighting and insubordination. Other than that, the first week of homeschooling went great!"

I am currently in the process of cracking CEM with VDASH, but since I am parking in a street, I need to find a better alternative to finally finish it. Then I will see if VDASH even lets me add the heating.
      Getting the original software is a hit or miss, my go-to guy was very hesitant for TFT display, but I'll try to see what he has to say about this...

Getting it "the old way" seems like another option, as it would minimize hassle and cost, but I am not sure how to pull it off myself and the possible downside of that.

As for the parts, I saw the aforementioned thread. Also, steering wheel and the steering module that supports heating, I get it, but are (turn signal switch and wiper stalk) and another clockspring really necessary?
      As for the HSWM with wiring - it is meant Heated Steering Wheel Control Unit, right?
      The parts are easy to source, I am just worried if I will have all the necessary sockets to do the wiring...

Quote Originally Posted by madden View Post
      You'd be surprised how nice a heated steering wheel is on a cold morning. Volvo's heated steering wheel heats up very quickly. I would have never thought it was something I needed until I had it.
      right lol everybody did the TFT upgrade & then paddles so why not heated wheel soon ??

what I would like to see is cooled seats ( my sisters F-150 thats 2 years older than my car has them along with a few others
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

Quote Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
      As for the parts, I saw the aforementioned thread. Also, steering wheel and the steering module that supports heating, I get it, but are (turn signal switch and wiper stalk) and another clockspring really necessary?
      As for the HSWM with wiring - it is meant Heated Steering Wheel Control Unit, right?
      The parts are easy to source, I am just worried if I will have all the necessary sockets to do the wiring...
      It sounds to me like you really don't understand what is involved with this mod. It is not plug and play and that's even if VDASH could enable it. You will need to add wiring and yes the clockspring is crucial as it has the extra contacts for the heating element. And with that you will also need the turn signal switch and wiper stalk, based on the report from another member, because the original switches won't plug into the new clockspring. Keep in mind the Air Bag is different as well (3 igniters vs 2) which is a huge expense and something I'm not willing to mess with trying to get by with the original air bag. If a heated steering wheel was never in the plans for the pre-facelift P3 then VIDA will be useless to enable the feature because it knows your VIN would never have this option. Your only hope after all is said and done is VDASH and that's big gamble. Probably better to contact them to see if this is even possible.

Our '16 XC70 lacks the climate package that was available that year. May we assume that it will already have many of the parts and wiring which are missing on the earlier cars? If so, then the overriding question becomes what parts and programming do I need to add the heated wheel to our later model car?

• heated wheel
      • heated steering wheel module (HSWM) & bracket
      • switch
      • some additional wiring?
      • what else?

[FANTASY MODE] And, if feasible, I'd be delighted to have the hi, med, low SW heat settings option as seen on the SPA vehicles. Wonder if that's a function of switching, the actual module or some sort of software alchemy...? For example, could one use a 3-level heated seat module instead of the HSWM to control SW heat? [/FANTASY MODE]
      Last edited by halfast3; 03-30-2020 at 12:07 PM.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.

"Teacher fired for drinking on the job. Two students expelled for fighting and insubordination. Other than that, the first week of homeschooling went great!"

I do wonder what wiring Volvo have installed as a sort of "base" wiring harness in these cars, for example I had to remove my drivers door card the other day. When popping off the tweeter housing, there is a small green connector there, but I have no idea what it is for. I do not have BLIS, so maybe something to do with that? Curious as to what other wiring might be present that may make some retrofits a little easier.

So, wait. Are we saying that I CAN add this to my MY 2015.5 V60? I have one "blank" space in my center console button area for the additional button. Looks like it takes a trip to the dealer to enable the feature, so I can't do this myself? I need the VIDA software, which I assume isn't cheap? Would my dealer know how to do this? I'm quite capable if this is a do-it-yourself type of job, I'd just need to know all the parts I'd need.

So, wait. Are we saying that I CAN add this to my MY 2015.5 V60?
      Had you stated you had a 2015.5 in the OP the answer would have been yes. It is a dealer installable accessory for your year.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/In.../S60(11-)/2015

Not sure if VIDA installs anything or just enables the feature. If it just enables VDASH could do it.

Is this a do-it-yourself installation? I see the link you included for the directions, but that's not an "order" page. Any idea what a dealer is going to want to have this accessory? I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Is there a part number for the whole kit, or is it just the two next to the instructions: 31373979, 31373745?

That's it?

Everything should be on Volvo's accessory website.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-499504/2015

I called my local dealer. They showed the kit, but when entering my VIN, it wasn't allowing them to select it. They had to call Volvo to find out if it is compatible. About an hour later, they said that it is compatible. They don't have the parts in stock (of course) nor have they done the install before for anybody else. They have 5 hours labor shown in the books for this installation. I'm currently booked for next week to have it done. I'll report back. It is spendy, but the Mrs needs heat for her hands or she has serious neurological issues.

I called my local dealer. They showed the kit, but when entering my VIN, it wasn't allowing them to select it. They had to call Volvo to find out if it is compatible. About an hour later, they said that it is compatible. They don't have the parts in stock (of course) nor have they done the install before for anybody else. They have 5 hours labor shown in the books for this installation. I'm currently booked for next week to have it done. I'll report back. It is spendy, but the Mrs needs heat for her hands or she has serious neurological issues.
      Interested in a breakdown of costs. New parts look to be ~$600 online, + enabling software and labor. You going for heat or heat & paddle shifters?

I have a v60 T6 R-Design, which has paddles already, of course. According to my appointment booking, they show:

CLIENT REQUESTS INSTALL ACCESSORY HEATED STEERING WHEEL. Parts: 31428166,31343797,31373842,31275377

Hmm, according to tasca parts:

31428166 = Steering Wheel - Leather - With Heating (does not fit your vehicle)

It would appear it should be:

31373979 = Steering Wheel With Heating, Sport

I'm assuming that Sport = paddles?

I shall give them a ring in the morning, apparently.

I have a v60 T6 R-Design, which has paddles already, of course. According to my appointment booking, they show:

CLIENT REQUESTS INSTALL ACCESSORY HEATED STEERING WHEEL. Parts: 31428166,31343797,31373842,31275377

Hmm, according to tasca parts:

31428166 = Steering Wheel - Leather - With Heating (does not fit your vehicle)

It would appear it should be:

31373979 = Steering Wheel With Heating, Sport

I'm assuming that Sport = paddles?

I shall give them a ring in the morning, apparently.

31373979 is apparently sport, two-toned, with heating.

31399101 is sport, two-toned, with heating and paddles

not sure what the code is for sport, one color/black, heating and paddles
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

According to my research 31428166 is black w/heat, no paddles; 31428167 is black, heated w/paddles. It's the 3-spoke with spokes at 3 and 9 o-clock and a double spoke at 6, not the 4 spoke with spokes at 3, 5, 7, and 9. Not sure which style you have.
      31343797 is the HSWM bracket. 31373842 & 31275377 are the software downloads for the heating and paddles, respectively.

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements