Is the M66 Rebuildable? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMatt View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestR View Post
      I'd be in for a group buy.
      I'll revisit this thread before I put a group buy thread together in the coming months.
      Count me in for a group by as well. I'd rather have a rebuild kit and not need it then the other way around!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Quickone4u View Post
      Count me in for a group by as well. I'd rather have a rebuild kit and not need it then the other way around!
      Same here regarding the group buy. Thanks for doing the research on this!

Sent from nunya

In for the possible group buy.
      Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

We're in for the group buy..Potentially for 3.

Also in for GB. Nice research. It's a shame about 1-2 synchro availability.
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic
      The $900 daily. IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts, Everything Else OEM.

I connected with Miyel(reply #26) on this and hope to have details settled some time this week.
      2005 S60R MT Swap: CNT DP, PhMIC, Forge CBV, IPD Stage II Tune, WiseCo pistons, CXRacing rods, Viva inconnel exhaust valves, Viva stainless steel intake valves, shimmed block, 12mm x 17mm spacers, IPD track spec sways, Projector retrofitted headlamps, among other things.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMatt View Post
      I connected with Miyel(reply #26) on this and hope to have details settled some time this week.
      Keep us updated!! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
      In for group buy if it occurs. 1-2 syncro assembly not being available is a bummer. From my experience in other transmissions, its the first two to go, because they are the most used
      Doesn't the tech manual for the M66 state its the same synchro across just with a different number of plates... Volvo even mentions changing going from single to double... Would it be that bad to go from triple to double? 1-2 happens so quickly in this car... there's no load really.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-M66.pdf
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Gone to Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Doesn't the tech manual for the M66 state its the same synchro across just with a different number of plates... Volvo even mentions changing going from single to double... Would it be that bad to go from triple to double? 1-2 happens so quickly in this car... there's no load really.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-M66.pdf
      Just from looking at the diagram and reading that, looks like you could at the very least swap out the middle section of the synchro with one from the third gear assembly or the 4-6 assembly. I think the left most part looks specific to the gearset having different shaped tabs on the inner portion so that would have to be reused. Talking out of my @$$, never had this transmission apart.
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

Cool that they have some of the synchos (Synchro Assy.). If the Volvo supplied M66 pdf is to be believed, the double synchros for 3rd can be used for upgrading 4-5-6

EDIT - $300 seems a little steep for the bearing kit. Most bearings are $10-20 MAX - there's only 10 altogether.

The first post doesn't list synchro assy pricing, I would be hesitant to replace just the friction ring, assuming that is what what is being referenced.
      Last edited by lookforjoe; 04-29-2019 at 10:27 PM.

I would like to know about rebuilding options as well... My 1-2 and 2-3 is quite crunchy... Subbed.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

Any progress on this? I'm dropping the transmission today or tomorrow.

Bumping to see if there was ever progress here...
      Seems to have died

I sure hope not... My M66 will be getting inspected shortly too and while I don't think anything is borked, it does have 246k on it....

Any update on this? In need of the third gear syncro.

My apologies to all. Not long after getting into this, along came an avalanche of critical personal items that needed my attention. I'm putting the last of the fires out this month and will be back at this. I know I am not the only one wants to feel a factory smooth M66.
      Expect an update after the new year.
      2005 S60R MT Swap: CNT DP, PhMIC, Forge CBV, IPD Stage II Tune, WiseCo pistons, CXRacing rods, Viva inconnel exhaust valves, Viva stainless steel intake valves, shimmed block, 12mm x 17mm spacers, IPD track spec sways, Projector retrofitted headlamps, among other things.

No worries, glad to know it's still a possibility to get these parts. I'm still interested. Really wish they could get the 1 and 2 gear synchros.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

No problems with the gears yet, knock on wood, just the output axle going out (new diff acquired), but being able to rebuilt it is something very important. My first transmission went out due to 1-2 syncro, luckily for me under warranty.

I wish I could rebuilt the angle gear to. Mine is going out due to the splines wear and a reman one is $1500. So far could not find a used one with good splines. Looks like the definition of "good" varies a lot and many people that are selling them call good one that is 40% or more worn out.

Anyway let us know what you find. Any additional info is a progress.
      2004 V70R, manual, 4T4

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2