Khalil's build thread - Page 14
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
      Surge tank is an awesome solution and perfect for the Red Devil, but itís an overkill for anything under 750 wheel HP. Itís nice because it includes the return regulator assembly, but its complicated and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
      Dude didn't you just have this all apart to fix a pressure issue? Sucks man I would say look at future power goal plans and make a decision on what way to go. I thought you could fit the big 450 or whatever they sell now without return but just have to mod the pump housing and upgrade wiring but Neal would know more than me.
      Nah, that was when I first went Stage 3 back in Summer 2017. Its been fine since, but I really beat down the car whenever I get the chance, its just so much fun to drive haha! My average PEM duty cycle was about 78% on E85. Not sure if thats bad or not, so thats why Im wondering if I should go with a bigger pump.
      Stage 3 Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD #TeamTF80, 12.6 1/4 @114mph. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kale_Salad_rz https://www.instagram.com/kale_salad_rz/
      Quote Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      It is flaccid in nature, and makes me uncomfortable to talk about.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by khalil_y View Post
      Nah, that was when I first went Stage 3 back in Summer 2017. Its been fine since, but I really beat down the car whenever I get the chance, its just so much fun to drive haha! My average PEM duty cycle was about 78% on E85. Not sure if thats bad or not, so thats why Im wondering if I should go with a bigger pump.
      Throw a DW300 in it for now and budget $1K for a fuel system when you do the big turbo swap. No need to tune it twice.

06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Austin V70R View Post
      Throw a DW300 in it for now and budget $1K for a fuel system when you do the big turbo swap. No need to tune it twice.

Yeah that's the plan. Thanks for the help guys! I'll revisit this once I'm ready to go bigger.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk
      Stage 3 Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD #TeamTF80, 12.6 1/4 @114mph. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kale_Salad_rz https://www.instagram.com/kale_salad_rz/
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
      Did someone say surge tank? lol love mine not the wiring so much but she feeds the beast without issue.
      It is natural to redo the wiring for a new fuel system. With sharp starts and on the track, it will save the life of the motor.
      Volvo s60 2,5 AWD 2004, 1/4 mile 12,18 187 km / h

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna1 View Post
      It is natural to redo the wiring for a new fuel system. With sharp starts and on the track, it will save the life of the motor.
      True for a system consuming higher current. The DW300 consumes less current than Hua current syatem and heís already running Cu 10AWG from the battery to the PM3 and PM3 to the pump. The PM3 will power multiple pumps up to a 30A draw.

Has the metal on the oil plug ever come back? Did you come to the conclusion it was your turbo failing?
      2005 V70R M66, Titanium-Gobi

1986 944 Turbo, Black-Tan

Past; 940t wagon, 940, 960 wagon, 240 wagon and several others in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by black944 turbo View Post
      Has the metal on the oil plug ever come back? Did you come to the conclusion it was your turbo failing?
      Sorry for the late reply. But yes, it was most likely from the turbo as you mightve seen in my previous update regarding the turbo, the CHRA and shaft were completely melted away. Havent seen any metal powder at all since I replaced the turbo. The car still runs very strong, but im loosing coolant and having fueling issues and worried I mightve lifted the head on all the extra power im pushing. I'll be doing some tests on the engine and fuel system this weekend.

If I did in fact lift the head, im hoping I didnt damage anything like the cyl walls or warped the head. Crossing my fingers it would just be an easy fix with some ARP studs and a new gasket after sending the head to a machine shop.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

If I did in fact lift the head, im hoping I didnt damage anything like the cyl walls or warped the head. Crossing my fingers it would just be an easy fix with some ARP studs and a new gasket after sending the head to a machine shop.
      Quite possible with stock head bolts khalil, I wouldnít be surprised at all. TTY head bolts will give up and wonít come back by design.

Quite possible with stock head bolts khalil, I wouldnít be surprised at all. TTY head bolts will give up and wonít come back by design.

I'm not surprised. I even used new genuine ones on the rebuild. Guess we'll find out soon.

Ugh. Story of my life.

Welp, here it is guys. 100% lifted the head. Going to start planning my next move once I take the head off and inspect everything. Hopefully the block and head arent trashed.

Ugh. Story of my life.

I just want to mention some great people here that have helped me along this journey. Thanks to ElementR for advice and tools, AustinV70R for advice and staying up with me so late into the AM figuring out the fuel system and fixing issues, and Justin Tocsh (dont know your username on here) for giving me live advice on everything. I might've missed someone so I apologize.

I love you all!
      Ugh. Story of my life.

I just want to mention some great people here that have helped me along this journey. Thanks to ElementR for advice and tools, AustinV70R for advice and staying up with me so late into the AM figuring out the fuel system and fixing issues, and Justin Tocsh (dont know your username on here) for giving me live advice on everything. I might've missed someone so I apologize.

I love you all!
      My pleasure buddy. Remind me what youíre tuning for boost...

My pleasure buddy. Remind me what youíre tuning for boost...

It's only hitting about 23psi at about 3200rpm and tapers off to 20 after 6800.

Last edited by khalil_y; 08-28-2020 at 01:05 PM.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

That sucks man build it stronger and better.
      2018 Leadfoot Ford Raptor semi built 600hp, 2020 Audi RS3.
      05 S60R MT, Stock block 578AWHP, 12.2 1/4 mile at 124 mph. Built 804 AWHP. Built engine, Cnc ported head, Front & Rear LSD, Ported Gen 2 T4 GTX3584RS hybrid, Turbosmart 45mm WG, Tial QR Bov, Enem Y21 Cams, Radium Surge tank, 1700cc Id's, Triple Walbro 485's, PM3, Devils Own meth injection, speed density converted mafless setup, Bell FMIC, Snabb air box, Poly, Milletech intake manifold, IP plasma coils, IP Plasma lift. Snabb shifter. TTV Twin Clutch. GB Forgestar F-14's, Enkei RSF5, KW V2'S, Ur Braces, Vr sways, IPD toe bars. Built to the hill.

I love you all!
      Justin = DrBrutal
      2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - Electric Silver - Muffler/Resonator Delete
      2007 XC70 - Ice White - Stage I Shark Tune - Muffler Delete

It's only hitting about 23psi at about 3200rpm.
      All the discussion of bolts vs studs aside.... I donít think youíre lifting the head at 23psi. Youíve got something else going on.

How was the head Machined? I recently saw something similar on a facebook post

Quote Originally Posted by ImportService View Post
      How was the head Machined? I recently saw something similar on a facebook post
      I used the glass lathing method. Used 1/4 inch thick glass panel with multiple grits of sandpaper to ensure flatness. I put lines on the mating surface with a sharpie to see where it's being sanded down and stopped once the lines disappeared.

Ugh. Story of my life.

All the discussion of bolts vs studs aside.... I donít think youíre lifting the head at 23psi. Youíve got something else going on.

Yeah, I am repeatedly hitting 23-24 with my hybrid on stock head bolts, I agree, something besides lifting the head from boost....

I used the glass lathing method. Used 1/4 inch thick glass panel with multiple grits of sandpaper to ensure flatness. I put lines on the mating surface with a sharpie to see where it's being sanded down and stopped once the lines disappeared.

khalil - Iím afraid your going to find what will be characterized as a ďblown head gasketĒ but In reality is head flatness that has now compromised deck flatness due to forcing coolant between cylinders. I hope Iím wrong.

I recall you had a tough time finding a machine shop when you had it apart, but thatís the only way to ensure flatness.

If that is the case find a new head, find a good shop to surface it and go from there. Of course use a Volvo MLS gasket also.

Old school methods worked fine for naturally aspirated engines, but any boosted or high compression engine requires two flat and parallel (where the glass method doesnít work) surfaces to seal a gasket.

khalil - Iím afraid your going to find what will be characterized as a ďblown head gasketĒ but In reality is head flatness that has now compromised deck flatness due to forcing coolant between cylinders. I hope Iím wrong.

I recall you had a tough time finding a machine shop when you had it apart, but thatís the only way to ensure flatness.

If that is the case find a new head, find a good shop to surface it and go from there. Of course use a Volvo MLS gasket also.

Old school methods worked fine for naturally aspirated engines, but any boosted or high compression engine requires two flat and parallel (where the glass method doesnít work) surfaces to seal a gasket.

You bring up good points. Never thought about it that way with the glass surface method. We'll find out soon. I took most of the cables and connections off today and will do more tomorrow. I'll have the head off by next weekend or the following weekend. Really hoping the block isn't trashed. If it is, I'll be in the market for a 4T5 block.

BTW, I bought a 118K mile TF80 for $50 from a friend's R part out. Going to take it apart and clean it up and have the valve body rebuilt. Any suggestions for upgrades I can do with this trans? You did almost everything possible on a TF80.

Ugh. Story of my life.

BTW, I bought a 118K mile TF80 for $50 from a friend's R part out. Going to take it apart and clean it up and have the valve body rebuilt. Any suggestions for upgrades I can do with this trans? You did almost everything possible on a TF80.
      Just do a new filter and transgo VB Kit. Thatís all they need. Volvo steels and plates are better than aftermarket and I found them all to be in thickness spec on the two I rebuilt. They donít die from wear, they die from VB issue.

Just do a new filter and transgo VB Kit. Thatís all they need. Volvo steels and plates are better than aftermarket and I found them all to be in thickness spec on the two I rebuilt. They donít die from wear, they die from VB issue.

I'm wondering if mine just needs a valve body. Its 100% slipping now on 1-2-3-4 shifts at WOT.

Is the filter behind the VB?

Ugh. Story of my life.

I'm wondering if mine just needs a valve body. Its 100% slipping now on 1-2-3-4 shifts at WOT.

Is the filter behind the VB?

Itís in the case. Ensure you have proper fluid level when you put the trans back in 1/2 quart after VIDA says its full and the plug is in, and ONLY use Mobile 3309 fluid. Anything else will make it slip.

I've been using Valvoline MaxLife. I'll switch to that one next.

If the engine block is safe to reuse, I'll just leave this trans in and have the valve body rebuilt or replaced and change the filter then try again with the currently installed one. Well see how it goes. I need to get an auxiliary cooler on it too.

Ugh. Story of my life.

I've been using Valvoline MaxLife. I'll switch to that one next.

If the engine block is safe to reuse, I'll just leave this trans in and have the valve body rebuilt or replaced and change the filter then try again with the currently installed one. Well see how it goes. I need to get an auxiliary cooler on it too.

You have to split the trans cases to change the filter. Iíd recommend refreshing the other trans and doing a swap. Donít add additives whatever you do.

Got it. Thanks Neal!

Ugh. Story of my life.

The silver color is bright and fresh

Quote Originally Posted by lyuluck View Post
      The silver color is bright and fresh
      Thanks man! I love this silver and how it changes color depending on the lighting.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14