Fuel mileage for T6
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fuel mileage for T6

Are there any fuel mileage estimates out there for the new XC90 T6 (gas engine)?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For the U.S. or the U.K. or elsewhere?

Nothing for the U.S. yet. The UK lists fuel consumption for the T6 as l/100km (combined) at 7.7. But using a simple converter for that to US mpg won't yield accurate results once the US numbers are released from fueleconomy.gov afaik.
      Last edited by Paradox; 12-06-2014 at 03:32 PM.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription — Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum — Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

Converted from UK mileage, it comes to about 30 mpg...but that sounds a bit high given the weight of the vehicle and I am guessing it may be closer to 24-25 mpg U.S

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
      Converted from UK mileage, it comes to about 30 mpg...but that sounds a bit high given the weight of the vehicle and I am guessing it may be closer to 24-25 mpg U.S
      Yeah, it doesn't yield accurate results just converting it.

Combined for the XC60 FWD with the twincharged T6 engine is 25 mpg so the 2016 XC90 will probably be a couple digits below that.
      Last edited by Paradox; 12-06-2014 at 05:29 PM.
      Currently Own:

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
      For the U.S. or the U.K. or elsewhere?

Nothing for the U.S. yet. The UK lists fuel consumption for the T6 as l/100km (combined) at 7.7. But using a simple converter for that to US mpg won't yield accurate results once the US numbers are released from fueleconomy.gov afaik.
      Yes, looking for U.S. mpg numbers. I guess we will see, thanks for the info.

Keep an eye on fueleconomy.gov looking for it. They say usually the manufacturer releases the numbers first but when the 2015 Escalade was announced and numbers were not out, they appeared first on that site so I say just give it a check once a day later in the day if you don't read anything elsewhere.
      Currently Own:

Yeah, it doesn't yield accurate results just converting it.

Combined for the XC60 FWD with the twincharged T6 engine is 25 mpg so the 2016 XC90 will probably be a couple digits below that.
      You should compare XC60 Drive-E T6 with the 4-cyl turbo charged super charged engine with XC90.
      The two engines are very similar (302HP vs 318HP), and two bodies' weight is similar too.
      So 30MPG is quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      You should compare XC60 Drive-E T6 with the 4-cyl turbo charged super charged engine with XC90.
      The two engines are very similar (302HP vs 318HP), and two bodies' weight is similar too.
      So 30MPG is quite reasonable.
      Yes, that is the one I was comparing it to. 25 is combined even for the xc60, 30 is highway. Highway will probably be similar but the city will be lower by a little on the xc90.

The numbers, whenever volvo decides to release them, should be impressive for a vehicle of this size I am sure.
      Last edited by Paradox; 12-10-2014 at 06:32 PM.
      Currently Own:

Yes, that is the one I was comparing it to. 25 is combined even for the xc60, 30 is highway. Highway will probably be similar but the city will be lower by a little on the xc90.

The numbers, whenever volvo decides to release them, should be impressive for a vehicle of this size I am sure.
      I am very much attempted to pay $10k more, for T8. Then no worries on MPG, lol.

Good numbers yes, but not unique. Quick look at the BMW X5 specs: 3.0 liter gas engine 18/27 mpg (City/Hwy) 3.0 liter diesel engine 24/31 mpg
      2004 XC90 T6 - member of the Quarter Million Miler Club - Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by finnvolvo View Post
      Good numbers yes, but not unique.
      Yep, never said they were unique.
      Last edited by Paradox; 12-10-2014 at 08:30 PM.
      Currently Own:

Been there, done that (twice - the whole plugging in thing), done with doing that. It's definitely for some, but not all.
      Last edited by Paradox; 12-10-2014 at 08:32 PM.
      Currently Own:

Not sure how long it will take to get the money back in gas savings, depends on miles driven and the actual milege, but I am also concerned about the extra complexity and the ultimate battery replacement.

When you get somewhere around $5K back on federal taxes and up to $2500 extra in California, the price difference gets a lot smaller. I'm still on the fence and haven't decided yet. The general complexity and danger of buying a first year of a brand new car also worries me but that's what the warranty is for. Still going back and forth with the GL350 because the cargo space and seating is one of the major factors and I can get a military discount on the GL and that model is a couple of years old with most of the kinks worked out.

I don't think the hybrid system is worth worrying about. Everyone seems to do that just fine.

And the batteries will have a long useful life, even after they are not used in cars.

If you want a vehicle with a bit lower emissions, particularly if the plug-in mode is useful to you, it's a good step forward from an environmental standpoint. Some people are even willing to pay a premium for that.

Plus it should be fun to drive when you aren't in the mood to save energy.

It's not only about saving $ by saving gas. You don't spend $70,000 in an effort to save $100/month. It's about far more than that.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post

It's not only about saving $ by saving gas. You don't spend $70,000 in an effort to save $100/month. It's about far more than that.
      Don't tell my wife that, I'm using that argument to put a Tesla in the garage after we solve the SUV situation.

I agree most people don't and it is about more than that. One issue though is that IMO Volvo hasn't differentiated the T8 significantly enough from a T6. They look the same. The only giveaway without memorizing grills that will jump out will be the charging door and the badge on the back to which I'm sure a lot of people will think "?".

IMO, people that spend that kind of money also want to make an impression, get noticed. Some people do it for the green feeling, but I'd bet a significant amount of those people also at least want other people to know they're green. IMO, the T8 doesn't stand out enough from the crowd or it's T6 sibling to accomplish that. The #1 selling plugin hybrid and it was considered a flop and had numerous price drops is the Volt. Is that more because it's better, cheaper, or unique? In distance 2nd and 4th place are the fusion and prius plugins.

In 2nd to last place is Porsche that sold a combined 100 plugin cars and suvs last month. I'm curious what Volvo sales expectations are for the T8.
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

Quote Originally Posted by pattyweb View Post
      I agree most people don't and it is about more than that. One issue though is that IMO Volvo hasn't differentiated the T8 significantly enough from a T6. They look the same. The only giveaway without memorizing grills that will jump out will be the charging door and the badge on the back to which I'm sure a lot of people will think "?".

IMO, people that spend that kind of money also want to make an impression, get noticed. Some people do it for the green feeling, but I'd bet a significant amount of those people also at least want other people to know they're green. IMO, the T8 doesn't stand out enough from the crowd or it's T6 sibling to accomplish that. The #1 selling plugin hybrid and it was considered a flop and had numerous price drops is the Volt. Is that more because it's better, cheaper, or unique? In distance 2nd and 4th place are the fusion and prius plugins.

In 2nd to last place is Porsche that sold a combined 100 plugin cars and suvs last month. I'm curious what Volvo sales expectations are for the T8.

One difference from the front, and I didn't get an answer as to why they did this, is the T8 does not have fog/cornering lamps like the T6 comes with. I realize that's not the kind of difference you are referring to but it's a way to tell from the front pretty quickly.
      Currently Own:

Quote Originally Posted by kf93 View Post
      When you get somewhere around $5K back on federal taxes and up to $2500 extra in California, the price difference gets a lot smaller. I'm still on the fence and haven't decided yet. The general complexity and danger of buying a first year of a brand new car also worries me but that's what the warranty is for. Still going back and forth with the GL350 because the cargo space and seating is one of the major factors and I can get a military discount on the GL and that model is a couple of years old with most of the kinks worked out.
      I agree the tax credits would bring the price down, but unfortunately for my commute I need 35-40 mile range to make it on electricity alone!

IMO, people that spend that kind of money also want to make an impression, get noticed.
      I think you are right, but I don't know what the data shows. Lots of people objected to the early Prius because it looked different. But if those people were gonna buy Hondas, they were gonna buy Hondas. I think these things are mostly post-hoc rationalizations. (the Honda guy wanted a Honda, so he finds a way to hate the Prius)

As a greenie and an SUV owner, I want a nice, bright badge on the show to show that I am driving green and not just another SUV-driving bonehead. I'm not kidding, unfortunately. The "hybrid" emblem helps.

I continue to believe that PIH's are the best approach currently available, but some green experts I know disagree - and they each drive a Tesla.

They also make more money than I do. I can't afford to save that much $$ on gas.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Vast majority of people who buy hybrids and swear by them forget that a hybrid vehicle uses about 50% more resources to produce than a gas/petrol version of the same car. Also, currently there is no way to recycle hybrid car batteries so those two things are not very green. I guess people see what they want to.
      2015.5 Volvo XC70 T6 Crystal White on Hazel | Climate Pkg | BLIS | Proximity Pkg | Convenience Pkg | Active Dual Xenons | Front & Rear Park Assist
      2016 Yamaha FJR1300A | LED Fog lamps | Onboard Computer | Heated Grips | Luggage Mounts

Been there, done that (twice - the whole plugging in thing), done with doing that. It's definitely for some, but not all.
      Out of curiosity what bothered you about the plugin hybrid?

Quote Originally Posted by detourdog View Post
      Plug wire in every night after getting home, 365 times a year

Quote Originally Posted by detourdog View Post
      Plug wire in every night after getting home, 365 times a year
      First let me say I have no 'ill will' towards plug in vehicles. I had fun driving EV in both the PiP and Volt I owned. As I said elsewhere on here, for me, it came down to two main reasons. One being not having a spare tire. The can of goo and compressor included in these vehicles doesn't cut it. If I have a nail or screw, which the goo helps with, I don't need it. Leaving the nail/screw in usually holds enough air for me to get somewhere to have it patched. I had a more severe problem in the Volt where even the goo wouldn't have held. I lost half my day to calling for a tow using OnStar, waiting, getting the tow to the delaer as that is where they tow you. The dealer had to get the tire. Wait. Finally I was gone after several hours and missed appointments. With a spare I would have changed it and been on my way. And I don't want to be one of those people carrying around a spare behind the drivers seat or lying in the cargo area, that's just me. Second, here in NYC Con(man)Edison is so expensive per kWh that running on gas costs as much as paying for electricity. ConEd has been experimenting with some lame program to see about offering a discounted rate for EV/plug-in owners but after 2 years it is still just that, a program where they monitor your usage but offer you no reduced pricing. They have time of use but that doesn't cut it for me.

All that being said, again, I realize for many it works out and I have no problem with companies going the route of offering them, hell, I welcome it. It's just for my personal use, I would rather go back to a regular gasser than have a plug-in again.
      Last edited by Paradox; 12-12-2014 at 05:48 PM.
      Currently Own:

Quote Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
      Vast majority of people who buy hybrids and swear by them forget that a hybrid vehicle uses about 50% more resources to produce than a gas/petrol version of the same car. Also, currently there is no way to recycle hybrid car batteries so those two things are not very green. I guess people see what they want to.
      dude, what are you even talking about?

do some more research, please, before spouting such nonsense

dude, what are you even talking about?

do some more research, please, before spouting such nonsense
      Agreed. Toyota for one has had a vigorous recycling program in effect for a long time now. Next we'll be hearing the old bs "prius outdoes hummer in environmental damage" thing.
      Currently Own:

Volvo Releases Performance Specs For Range-Topping 2016 XC90 T8:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/volvo-r...170010500.html
      Have Owned: 1982 Datsun 280ZX|1985 Nissan Pulsar|1989 Mazda RX-7 Convertible|1994 Range Rover|1997 Range Rover|2001 Mercedes-Benz M320|2004 Lexus RX330|2007 BMW X5|2011 Lincoln MKX|2012 XC60 R Design, Cosmic White|2011 C30, Burnt Orange |2012 BMW 328i Convertible|2016 XC90 Inscription, Climate, Convenience and Vision Packages, Twilight Bronze Metallic
      Current: 2018 XC90 Inscription, Convenience Package, Bowers and Wilkins Premium Sound, 21" 8-Spoke Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels, Tailored Parts, Charcoal Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel, Denim Blue/Maroon

Toyota Prius (and most other non plugin hybrids) use NiMH batteries which are recycled. The more expensive and larger Lion batteries used in plugin and full electric models are not as cost effective to recycle (at least right now) so instead they have plans to reuse those batteries in other capacities since they still have storage capacity, just not enough for a car. For example, one idea I was reading is they would "repurpose" those used Lion batteries into household powering products with solar panels.
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

Toyota Prius (and most other non plugin hybrids) use NiMH batteries which are recycled. The more expensive and larger Lion batteries used in plugin and full electric models are not as cost effective to recycle (at least right now) so instead they have plans to reuse those batteries in other capacities since they still have storage capacity, just not enough for a car. For example, one idea I was reading is they would "repurpose" those used Lion batteries into household powering products with solar panels.
      exactly. And re-use is far better (from almost any standpoint) then recycling.

The reason not to buy a hybrid is PRICE, and price alone. If you can't afford one, don't buy one. Same as if you can't afford a Bentley, don't buy one. No big deal.

I understand that my Prius hybrid won't save me money. But it does save me gas and it does emit fewer pollutants locally than a similar vehicle. So, to me, that is "worth it." Everyone does a different calculation, and that is their right.

Anyone who denigrates hybrids clearly hasn't driven the Lexus GS450H. Stomp on that thing for a while and you may never drive a non-hybrid, again. No matter HOW much the hybrid premium is.

Quote Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
      fleuger - get back here and take your medicine!!

(just messing with you)

fleuger - get back here and take your medicine!!

(just messing with you)
      I'm back!

I was referring to the LION batteries. I did not know they would be reused. My comment about 50% more resources still stands and where do you think you get electricity from to charge your lovely electric cars? How much of that energy is renewable sources? It is not as green as you might think. So there!!
      2015.5 Volvo XC70 T6 Crystal White on Hazel | Climate Pkg | BLIS | Proximity Pkg | Convenience Pkg | Active Dual Xenons | Front & Rear Park Assist
      2016 Yamaha FJR1300A | LED Fog lamps | Onboard Computer | Heated Grips | Luggage Mounts

FYI, it's all depending how the electricity for an EV is generated...

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

tesla website has a great section that discusses this and lists each state in the US and where they get the majority of their power. East coast is very coal centric but west coast has a lot of NG, Hydro, and other.

Here's a page where you can get a ballpark breakdown of electricity sources for a certain area: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/..._emissions.php

And here you can get ghg figures for a plug in vehicle based on zip codes: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=bt2
      Currently Own:

Quote Originally Posted by kf93 View Post
      Don't tell my wife that, I'm using that argument to put a Tesla in the garage after we solve the SUV situation.
      Have you driven one yet? They are fast but they really are badly built.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast