IPD vs EST vs Borla - Volvo R Exhaust Comparison Video
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

all cars have an OBX catless downpipe and were revved by the same person.

ATR-6550 shot-gun mic hooked up to a Zoom H1 audio recorder, placed about 13 feet behind each car

this video only shows you what they sound like from outside, I will have to take each car on a cruise and see if I can also capture what the noise (and/or drone if any) is like in the cabin for a more full review. I own the Borla setup and it does have some drone but its not intrusive at all or irritation just enough to let you know you have an exhaust that will go crazy at WOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdQo5jR83Lc

some other related videos:
      ELEVATE / IPD / BORLA / STOCK exhaust comparison

Borla XR-1

EST Exhaust link:
      http://www.eurosporttuning.com/volvo...s60r-v70r.html

IPD Exhaust link:
      http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8814/...2007-s60r-v70r

Borla muffler:
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40943
      2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - Electric Silver - Muffler/Resonator Delete
      2007 XC70 - Ice White - Stage I Shark Tune - Muffler Delete

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome comparisons! I've always loved your setup and car in general. What was the total cost to have your exhaust done? I checked your thread you made a while back about it, I'm seeing $55 for the tip, $150-180 for the OBX, and $127 for the XR-1, but what about the shot costs for pipe and labor?
      2004 S60R M66 - Black Sapphire / Atacama | UR braces | IPD V70R track spec sways & oval tube exhaust | Races60r downpipe | SNAAB FMIC & intake | 245/40/18 Super Sports | 10/15mm H&R spacers

This makes me want to possibly trade my EST for an iPD one in the future.

Maybe next year...
      SOLD (and dearly missed):2007 Electric Silver/Nordkap SR M66 - 91K - Nav - 18" Machined Pegs - 35% side tint - 50% windshield tint - Snabb Intake - Snabb BIG FMIC - Eibach Lowering Springs - EuroSport Sport Exhaust - EuroSport DP - M1 Abrams - SteveO Tuned
      Current: 2011 Audi S4 Prestige | Phantom Black Metallic | Magma Red Interior | 6M | APR Tuned

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for sharing. I still like the video of the cars accelerating the best, particularly comparing to stock setup. It gives a better sense of the sound out in the wild, rather than parked and revving it.

Oh, and the ipd exhaust still has my vote. Now if only my stock exhaust would rot away...
      '06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 225k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 163k miles

Quote Originally Posted by qwkbrk View Post
      Thanks for sharing. I still like the video of the cars accelerating the best, particularly comparing to stock setup. It gives a better sense of the sound out in the wild, rather than parked and revving it.

Oh, and the ipd exhaust still has my vote. Now if only my stock exhaust would rot away...
      Oh yeah I gotta get an ipd one... That wagon sounds epic.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Quote Originally Posted by flybikes View Post
      Awesome comparisons! I've always loved your setup and car in general. What was the total cost to have your exhaust done? I checked your thread you made a while back about it, I'm seeing $55 for the tip, $150-180 for the OBX, and $127 for the XR-1, but what about the shot costs for pipe and labor?
      thanks! it was about $150 for the piping and install.
      2007 S60R - Ti Grey/Atacama M66 - Stage II Shark Tune - 8EightFab downpipe - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - SNABB FMIC/Intake Pipe - TWM Short Shifter - Forge CBV - UR Front Brace/Rear Brace - IPD 28mm Rear Sway Bar - BC Racing Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by adavis2493 View Post
      This makes me want to possibly trade my EST for an iPD one in the future.

Maybe next year...
      Ipd's is so worth it.
      2005 SR GT Steveo tune | IPD catback | EST dp | K an N drop in | IPD CAI | CX Racing FMIC | Snabb Intake | Forge CBV
      2005 SR M66 aka Pitogo's old R.

Instagram r_mayor

Quote Originally Posted by MN-TURBOR View Post
      Well that settles it, I'm definitely putting this setup on my car come summer time.
      2004 S60R M66 - Black Sapphire / Atacama | UR braces | IPD V70R track spec sways & oval tube exhaust | Races60r downpipe | SNAAB FMIC & intake | 245/40/18 Super Sports | 10/15mm H&R spacers

the ipd sounds so amazing...can't wait to get it on the car, it's killing me having it sit in the garage

What piping will you need? Did you go straight from where the cat would be or did you do from the res back? I already have a res delete and the OBX downpipe so I'm thinking about just going straight back from where the res used to be. Thoughts?
      PAST: 2006 S60R GT Electric Silver with Nordkap, first car is a caR

CURRENT: 2015 Fiat Abarth 500 - Rosso Red: Nero/Rosso

They all sound amazing in their own right. EST seems most suitable for everyday driving and through neighborhoods as there is less drone and obnoxious noise...no?
      2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
      2014 Chevrolet Volt
      2006 S60R GT, Stage 2, sways & coilovers (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
      What piping will you need? Did you go straight from where the cat would be or did you do from the res back? I already have a res delete and the OBX downpipe so I'm thinking about just going straight back from where the res used to be. Thoughts?
      You would want to do 3" from the downpipe back, otherwise you would have a bottleneck where the res used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by flybikes View Post
      You would want to do 3" from the downpipe back, otherwise you would have a bottleneck where the res used to be.
      True haha
      PAST: 2006 S60R GT Electric Silver with Nordkap, first car is a caR

CURRENT: 2015 Fiat Abarth 500 - Rosso Red: Nero/Rosso

Custom exhaust ftw...
      '06 S60R | M66 | BSM / Nordkap | Premium / Convenience / Climate / Sport Body | AutoTech Tune | 3.5'' Catless Downpipe | 3'' Straight Piped Exhaust | Custom Charge Pipe | Welded Angle Gear | SPEC Clutch & Single Mass Flywheel | ViVA FMIC | Forge CBV | Snabb TIP | 'R' Kelly CAI | VST Strut Brace | KW V2 | H&R Spacers | 25mm Sway Bars | SS Brake lines | DRT Sport Rotors | 18'' VST Monoblocks | iPd 'R' Boost gauge | The list goes on. . .

1980 - 245 - 4spd/OD manual, IPD sways, headers, street cam, Bilsteins, GT-VDO cluster
      1985 - 745 turbo+, 4spd/OD manual, IPD springs, sways, Bilsteins, turbo sump/oiler
      1998 - V90 IRS - auto, last of the RWD big wagons... factory stock all around
      2004 - V70R - 6 speed manual. Flash Green w/Gobi

Love the Borla, was that straight from the DP to the muffler then out ??
      2005 Titanium Metallic Gray / Nordkap V70R 5-Speed Auto
      2018 Subaru Sti Ltd Pearl White
      2015 Volvo S60 White
      2012 Harley Davidson Vrod !0th Anniv. Edition SilverSOLD
      2017 Harley Davidson TriGlide Blue, 2016 Harley Davidson Limited Low Red SOLD
      2005 Ducati Red 999 Biposto SOLD 2011 Subaru Impreza Pearl White 2.5i Premium
      Had an 2005 Magic Blue/Nordkap V70R 5-Speed Auto STOLEN, now recovered

Awesome comparison. I've got the EST and I like how raspy it is, but damn that Borla just sounds awesome.
      -TJ
      '10 Cadillac CTS Sportwagon AWD :: 3.6L Grocery-Getter
      '97 855 :: Project Boxy Lady (SOLD)
      '07 S60R MT :: 452//Nordkap (SOLD)

IPD I think sounds the best. Great video thanks for sharing.

Matt
      05 S60R, MT, Mototec 3" downpipe w/cat., IPD Boost Gauge...the rest Woefully Stock...for now Best so far: 14.03 at 102mph! All while shifting gears!
      1993 Mustang Notch, 347ci, Forged Internals, Lots o Go Fast Parts, 530whp @ 9psi from the S-trim, Mid 10's in the 1/4 mile, all while shifting gears...yes it's fast!! Member of the Manual Mafia club

Ipd sounds the best.....then borla
      Est sounds like crap no exhaust note
      FOR SALE - 2004 S60R, M66 MT, Ti-Gray/ Gobi, DE-TUNED to 16psi, IPD Inlet Pipe, Viva CBV Blocking Plate, IPD Charge Pipe, IPD BOV, Evolve AMS ,IPD HD coils, IPD Exhaust, Off Road Downpipe ,Ipd Boost Gauge, Sport kit, https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...d-Lots-of-pics
      2004 S60R, M66 MT, Black Sapphire Metallic/ Gobi, OEM Sport Kit, 26k miles, Bone Stock

Was that the Sport or Touring EST exhaust btw?
      -TJ
      '10 Cadillac CTS Sportwagon AWD :: 3.6L Grocery-Getter
      '97 855 :: Project Boxy Lady (SOLD)
      '07 S60R MT :: 452//Nordkap (SOLD)

I used to own the EST Sport exhaust, the one you see in the video. I sold it to the guy when he got the R and got myself the Borla. I wanted a full 3in turbo-back setup and something much louder. They all sound great in person and when you are driving away but if I wanted a bolt-on setup the IPD would be my choice hands down, sounds excellent and really good quality. The EST has the quality part down, I just wanted something louder in cabin to really enjoy driving. I don't use the radio much when I'm driving the R. That being said some people want the better flow and performance of an upgraded exhaust system but not really that much noise in the cabin for them the EST sport or touring would be better. Price wise the Borla made sense and its a very close tone to the IPD and at WOT just as loud. At many meets its usually an even vote between the IPD and Borla.

I might have to do this type of video again but add the Elevate and OBX setup to the mix and also some driving clips too.

Are EST, Borla, and IPD, full stainless?
      1980 - 245 - 4spd/OD manual, IPD sways, headers, street cam, Bilsteins, GT-VDO cluster
      1985 - 745 turbo+, 4spd/OD manual, IPD springs, sways, Bilsteins, turbo sump/oiler
      1998 - V90 IRS - auto, last of the RWD big wagons... factory stock all around
      2004 - V70R - 6 speed manual. Flash Green w/Gobi

I've gotta go for the Borla too.
      2005 V70R GT, FMIC, Forge CBV, OBX catless downpipe, Snabb intake, IPD TCV, IPD HD coils, IPD Transmission torque mount & upper motor mount, IPD sway bars, Bob-Vila upper mount mod.

Awesome comparison, thanks for making this! imho the borla and ipd are too loud, love the est

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmmm View Post
      Awesome comparison, thanks for making this! imho the borla and ipd are too loud, love the est
      Ipd sounds the best hands down. If you think its too loud. Imo... Best option stay stock.
      2007 Magic Blue S60RFull Custom STAGE3|1offTurbo|Projector HID| |Full LED Interior|Tires MPSS|AEM| 4" SNABB Intake|3 1/8" Turboback Exhaust|Bob Vila Mod|IPD Poly SubFrame Bushings|IPD Boost Gauge|IPD Throttle Inlet|Short Shifter| Ipod Adapter|BLACKED Front Grills|BLACKED Wheel Caps|Badge Delete|18%Tint|Gun Smoked Lights|IPD R Door Pins|IPD Poly Engine/Trans Mount

I like the comparison, just needed outside acceleration and in-car video because those are the two most relevant things for a complete exhaust comparison.

No doubt IPD and Borla are deeper, loudness is close between the three IMO...will reevaluate my words if what I've mentioned above is done For me, unless I experience IPD and Borla first hand, it would't be worthwhile switching up to either of those. I would rather just jump up to an exhaust cutout and raise hell

Here's an in-car video I took yesterday

Humza (im_humza on IG) - 04 S60R MT Sapph/kap - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by volvosRus View Post
      I like the comparison, just needed outside acceleration and in-car video because those are the two most relevant things for a complete exhaust comparison.

No doubt IPD and Borla are deeper, loudness is close between the three IMO...will reevaluate my words if what I've mentioned above is done For me, unless I experience IPD and Borla first hand, it would't be worthwhile switching up to either of those. I would rather just jump up to an exhaust cutout and raise hell

so...how was your first hand Borla experience???

^^ cotdamn that sounds good

so...how was your first hand Borla experience???
      Terrible! Midway through the drive, the rusted exhaust hangers gave away because of the mild steel used and welds that were done by a blind man. The system is probably resting on the side of the highway as we speak...friend didn't go back for it as he enjoys the sound of the open downpipe better
      Humza (im_humza on IG) - 04 S60R MT Sapph/kap - SOLD

Because of the cost factor does having a stock DP affect the IPD or Borla sound? Does Borla make a cat back system? It does sound as good as the IPD.
      07 S60R | AT | Passion Red| Gobi
      Mods: Factory Body Kit | IPD DP & Catback | IPD Front Lip Spoiler | IPD Strut Braces | IPD Upper Engine Mount | R Kelly Intake | EuroSport Pedals | Snabb Cold Air Intake

On my 2000 V70R im going to have a custom DP made and do a exhaust with the Borla, question is can do just one muffler or do i need to copy the stock set and run two?

Quote Originally Posted by volvosRus View Post

So... Which setup is in this video? Can't decipher from what you wrote really... Is it the est?
      2005 S60R MT silver/atacama sport kit stock

Hope you don't mind me butting in...

Here's a compilation of many, many video clips captured with three different cameras comparing the OEM exhaust to ipd's oval tube catback exhaust on both manual and automatic transmissions in various driving situations. Both cars equipped with OEM downpipes and ECU tunes. In other words, the only change from stock is the ipd oval tube catback exhaust system.

Cameras used. No audio editing or leveling. Some of the clips, especially those without the exhaust, have some sound levels too loud for the in-camera microphone, therefore sound a bit distorted. Notes added to clips to identify which camera, exhaust, and transmission.
      1. iPhone 6.
      2. Canon PowerShot (compact point & shoot) with wind blocker.
      3. GoPro Hero4 (with open back).

I chose the ipd exhaust because of its deeper tone and loudness increase compared to OEM. I considered the TME and EST systems also. Gotta let the unique 5-pot sound sing! The lift throttle burble / cackle was an extra bonus!

2005 Volvo V70 R Silver exterior / Nordkap interior. 5-speed automatic transmission. Shifts were a mix of automatic and manual shifting.

2006 Volvo V70 R Magic Blue exterior / Atacama interior. 6-speed manual transmission with single mass flywheel (SMF). I mention the SMF because in some scenarios, e.g., below 2000 rpm, the flywheel is actually louder than the exhaust. Is there drone, you ask? I don't believe there to be any. At highway speeds (2700-2800 rpm) on half my commute, I hear as much wind noise with the windows up as I hear the exhaust. The other half of my commute is about 2300 rpm, and it is marginally louder, but certainly far from droning or too loud. My wife doesn't like the sound; neither does my friend's wife like it on his silver R. But we boys like it and they are our daily drivers. It is borderline too loud for my friend on his daily commute, usually at about 2300 rpm. We plan to try dynamat (or similar) in the floor of his wagon and perhaps tailgate.

Anyway, hopefully the video helps those on the fence about this or any other exhaust. My intention was to capture the same driving scenarios with the same cameras with OEM and ipd exhausts so you could hear the difference, and hopefully avoid the questions about different cameras capturing the audio differently. I am by far no camera jockey. Many people probably have iPhone 6 and/or GoPro Hero 4, so hopefully my capturing the video with those cameras helps the comparison.

Bust out the speakers with subwoofer or high quality headphones and crank it up!

Time notes:
      0:00 photos
      0:31 cold starts, both in the air on jack stands and on the ground.
      3:15 Camera standing road side outside the cars.
      4:47 Camera mounted to the rear bumper.
      6:15 Camera mounted inside cargo area (rear quarter glass).
      7:38 Camera mounted to sunroof glass to capture the sound for the driver and front passenger.
      10:01 No exhaust - only the downpipe. Because we had to see how loud it was. Eeesh - it almost hurt our ears because it was so loud. It was too loud for the cameras on most clips; the recording turned to mostly distortion.

'06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 225k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 163k miles

Digging the Lindsay Sterling intro!

Great video, thanks for taking the time to do this

Awesome Video!!! You all are what make Swedespeed so wonderful!

I'm waiting for my muffler to rot out to justify an exhaust and ideally it would showcase the R at WOT while not standing out in traffic or through neighborhoods. I'm thinking IPD or EST touring, but I'm concerned EST touring might still rain squeal because of the larger resonator, anybody have experience?

Also if I knew someone who could fabricate it I was thinking about how it might sound sick to have a glass pack in place of a resonator and the the borla muffler!
      2005 Titanium/Nordkap M66
      Striving for Stage 0.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast