Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo!

I honestly haven't been this excited about a car since the V50. I have definitely found my soul mate in a machine. A truly gorgeous (near flawless design) car.

I thought the V50 had me sold, but Audi has done it. A 2.0T producing 200hp (easily chipped), Quattro, a 6-spd manual in a tighter package than the V50 at the same price. Better interior than Volvo too.

I'm sorry to leave you Volvo, but in a year or so, this car will be mine (I'll take Nogaro Blue).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (ACD)

Audi > Volvo
      Audi > Saab
      Audi > BMW
      Audi > Mercedes
      Porsche > Audi

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (anony00gt)

Pick one up for me when you get it ok?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If I read it correctly, you will wait at least a year for a Quattro. Initially, only the FWD will be available and the Quattro will follow later.
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (MagoonR)

I'll be in NYC for a couple of years so, if I must wait I will.

FMonk...just tell me what color scheme and engine you want. Just go easy on the options...I'm not made of money

anony00gt...you are so right. I'm a Porsche/Audi guy at heart. Nothing beats them.

My future garage:

Porsche 911 (993) (red/black leather)
      Porsche 356 A (silver/red leather)
      Audi A3 Sportback (nogaro blue/black leather)
      Audi A6 2.7T (bright red/black leather)

Quote, originally posted by anony00gt »
      Audi > Volvo
      Audi > Saab
      Audi > BMW
      Audi > Mercedes
      Porsche > Audi

FORD >>>>> Porsche

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (Kai)

Quote, originally posted by Kai »

FORD >>>>> Porsche

Well, since you bring it up...

Ford > Porsche
      Chevy > Porsche
      MOPAR (real MOPAR) > Porsche

...until the road starts to curve

Sorry, there truly is no replacement for displacement

Quote, originally posted by ACD »

The A3 is a very nice car, especially the redesigned model. One of my uncles, in Greece, bought a 2003 A3 1.8T, FWD. Drives very nice but not very differently than a Golf GTI (same size car). But the interior is leagues ahead from the Golf and Audi is known for the best interiors around.

It is unfair (to you) that you are comparing this to a V50. Very different cars since the V50 is a larger car. If you want utility and semi-descent storage area with your next car, the A3 may disappoint you.

Nice car but keep in mind that you will be buying a car the size of a VW Golf. If you are OK with that, then you should be happy.

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

Nice car but keep in mind that you will be buying a car the size of a VW Golf. If you are OK with that, then you should be happy.

Yannis

Check out Autoweek.com for more info. The A3 is based on the new Golf platform.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_co...47578

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

I was going to say that but you all beat me to the punch.
      Think of the A3 as a very good looking Golf.
      JRL
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Check out Autoweek.com for more info. The A3 is based on the new Golf platform.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_co...47578

I know that, that is why I mentioned the Golf. Even the previous A3 was based on the current Golf platform...

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Quote, originally posted by anony00gt »

Well, since you bring it up...

Ford > Porsche
      Chevy > Porsche
      MOPAR (real MOPAR) > Porsche

...until the road starts to curve

Sorry, there truly is no replacement for displacement

Tell that to the 4.6l Mustang GT I just embarassed in my 3.2l Boxster S Anniversary Edition. Or even better, the 5.7l Z28 Camaro

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (ChuckV)

Quote, originally posted by ChuckV »

Tell that to the 4.6l Mustang GT I just embarassed in my 3.2l Boxster S Anniversary Edition. Or even better, the 5.7l Z28 Camaro

You meant you embarassed them in the twisties, right?

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

The A3 is a very nice car, especially the redesigned model. One of my uncles, in Greece, bought a 2003 A3 1.8T, FWD. Drives very nice but not very differently than a Golf GTI (same size car). But the interior is leagues ahead from the Golf and Audi is known for the best interiors around.

It is unfair (to you) that you are comparing this to a V50. Very different cars since the V50 is a larger car. If you want utility and semi-descent storage area with your next car, the A3 may disappoint you.

Yannis

The regular A3 is definitely the size of Golf but this is the sportback. I'm hoping those extra five or so cubic feet will make the difference. Yannis you're right, they are not really the same class of car, but I rarely fold down the seats in the 850. I figure I'll just start folding them in this and I'll have the same amount of room.

Just remember this is a TINY car/wagon
      JRL
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (JRL)

LOL!!!!! I think it's unfair for that miserable thing to compare it to a Volvo...
      2012 V70 D5 AWD - Volvo Ocean Race Edition, P* optimized | 2013 V40 D3

Past: 2007 C30 2.4i, 1999 C70 T5, 1998 S70 2.5T, 1996 965 3.0, 1999 S80 2.4l, 1989 480 Turbo

instagram.com/alex_mrkln

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (Alex960)

Quote, originally posted by Alex960 »
      LOL!!!!! I think it's unfair for that miserable thing to compare it to a Volvo...

Well, you know me....I am all for Volvo but the A3 is far from being a "miserable thing"...

Yannis

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (JRL)

I know exactly what I'm looking for in my next car, small enough to fit in little spots, manuever well in traffic and still be able to hold a significant amount when the seats are folded down. This will fit the bill as it is definitely bigger than my Golf (which was a good size for me) and smaller than my 850 which I find too big at this point in my life.

I think the premium compact class is perhaps one of the most brilliant ideas. Lots of great features and sophistication in a small package. Look at how successful the Mini is. Same principle. You see all these rich guys driving them. It's just smart. If I need a bigger car I'll buy an A6 to go with it.

I'm so excited!

Talk about ironic. You bought a big mid-nineties car with early eighties technology in europe! Need I say more?

Technically, Audis are outstanding, no doubt.

But they have no "soul", in their design (exterior and interior), the driving feel and because of the way of functionning of the company (aka modified Volkswagens). They are really just very good cars. As you say, the design is flawless, but it doesn't have anything exceptionally beautiful either, it doesn't have a flaw, but it doesn't have the opposite of a flaw either.

Volvos are more than that! They have a spirit, an "ambience" and a real company philosophy, aims and almost ideology. This is not at all unique to Volvo. But Audi does not have it.

If you think like me, your are a passionate Volvo fan.

If you don't, then you are a pragmatic person who is interested in cars.

(note that I'm not saying one is better that the other)

Past: 2007 C30 2.4i, 1999 C70 T5, 1998 S70 2.5T, 1996 965 3.0, 1999 S80 2.4l, 1989 480 Turbo

instagram.com/alex_mrkln

Re: Hello Audi, goodbye Volvo! (ChuckV)

Quote, originally posted by ChuckV »

Try embarrasing a Ford GT with your Boxster...or with any Porsche in fact!

instagram.com/alex_mrkln

Technically, Audis are outstanding, no doubt.

But they have no "soul", in their design (exterior and interior), the driving feel and because of the way of functionning of the company (aka modified Volkswagens). They are really just very good cars. As you say, the design is flawless, but it doesn't have anything exceptionally beautiful either, it doesn't have a flaw, but it doesn't have the opposite of a flaw either.

Volvos are more than that! They have a spirit, an "ambience" and a real company philosophy, aims and almost ideology. This is not at all unique to Volvo. But Audi does not have it.

If you think like me, your are a passionate Volvo fan.

If you don't, then you are a pragmatic person who is interested in cars.

(note that I'm not saying one is better that the other)

I've been a passionate Volvo fan my whole life. I was fascinated by my neighbor's Volvos as a kid.

That said, I feel the Audi brand fits me and my personality better. As for soul...drive an S4. That car is full of it. I'm happy with any car that puts a smile on my face and every Audi does.

Nothing wrong with Audis, it's just the "A3" is very small, that's all.
      JRL

I'm happy with any car that puts a smile on my face and every Audi does.

"Every Audi" does that? Come on, let's not get carried away! Have you driven an A4 with the CVT? Have you driven an automatic A6 2.8 or even now with the 3.0 engine? Dull as the color gray....

Yannis

Isn't that the same with the 140 HP V70? Or the S80 2.9?

The Audi is a nice car but way overrated and overpriced.
      The A3 has been based on VW technology from the first day. Also the new Golf isn't a big seller, way to expensive.

The new A3 is a nice car to see on the street. It looks larger compared to an S40 which looks narrow and high like it can flip over at the first turn ( )

Still it is a VW..

'17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

The one unfortunate thing about the A3 is that we (the U.S. market) are not allowed to get our hands on the model which some would really prefer, that being the 3 door, since AUDI exec's have decided not to bring that version over here ... at least for now.

Re: (Y2K3CL-S)

I actually prefer the proportions of the 5-door A3.

Yes, the A6 2.8 is milktoast. But the 2.7T and 4.2 are not. Nor is the S4, S8, S6, RS6, RS4, S3, shall I continue?

And for every comparo that Audi has won, no reviewer said, we love the Audi, alas, it's still a Volkswagen. Volkswagens are great cars, Audis are just better.

Re: (ACD)

As a matter of fact I have driven an S4 and an S8. S8 was not bad, fun for for a little while but I would get tired of it fast if I had one. And for that price there are many other cars I'd rather have. That also applies to the long list you give of S and RS models. With such huge motors, performance is there of course, but the "soul" still isn't. Even a BMW M5 for instance is more interesting and enjoyable.
      As for the S4, sure it's powerful, but for me that's all that car has. Power, and nothing around it. There's something that Audis just don't have.

instagram.com/alex_mrkln

Re: (ACD)

I actually prefer the proportions of the 5-door A3.

I agree. The 3-door A3s 9and most cars of its size in that configuration) are not very practical, at all.

Quote »
      Yes, the A6 2.8 is milktoast. But the 2.7T and 4.2 are not. Nor is the S4, S8, S6, RS6, RS4, S3, shall I continue?

Yeah, but I thought you wrote "EVERY" Audi...

BTW, VWs are not great cars...come on, now...The only GREAT VWs are the...911s...

Yannis

I was fascinated by my neighbor's Volvos as a kid.

She must have been one serious MILF!!!!

Try embarrasing a Ford GT with your Boxster...or with any Porsche in fact!

Carrera GT? perhaps?

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements